AT&T Southeast page on DSLReports

Review by Tekman222ps See Profile

• Location: Jackson,Butts,GA
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "consistent speeds and uptime"
Bad "none"
Overall "Great Service, no real problems..."

Over the last 5 years, I have had 1.5, 3.0, 6.0, and now back to 3.0 since I moved to a new location that does not yet support 6.0 service. Through it all, and with all tiers of speeds the service has been rock solid. The few times that I did encounter a loss of sync were dealt with promptly.
Update 07/09 - Still going strong. Supplied modem (Motorola) died, replaced with a Netopia and all is good...
Update 8/6/11 - Still no issues - as reliable as ever although with my current position at my job (I work remotely) - the 150GB cap is going to be hard to manage. Unfortunately I do not have any other options at this time
Update 10/23/12 - Still no issues - wish I could get faster speeds.....

Update 2/26/13 - Still wishing for faster speeds - no other options at my address. I am stuck in the slow age
Update 12/14/2014 - Still stable, consistent, but slow......

member for 11.2 years, 4777 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
MoneyT8

join:2014-02-16
united state

Choices

You don't have any other choices? How about Time Warner or Comcast? I have uverse max 12/2 and haven't had any issues so far with the 250gb data cap.

Review by dandeman See Profile

• Location: Chapel Hill,Orange,NC
Good "Continues to be reliable 6mb DSL to 6mb U-Verse HSI"
Bad "None."
Overall "Very reilable service."

10/02/2014:
Continues to be very reliable service, even during storms that cause power outages.. if it's a long outage, telco brings out generators to keep the IP-DSLAM running.. I have a commercial UPS and generator power that keeps power up on my end...

Service continues to be very reliable. I suspect I may be getting some benefit from the fact that I believe the node I'm served by also supports some business critical users. During the recent ice storm and multi-day loss of power, they got the emergency generators to the site to keep it up and running before the batteries expired.

6mb U-Verse HSI is a vast improvement for me over the old 6mb DSL (bellsouth era, ATM Network). It had got to the point it was impossible to stream any video (youtube, etc) over the old DSL any time except in the morning when backbone loading is lighter. With the U-Verse I can view videos during prime time without hic-cups.. Also the upstream speeds with 6mb offering are around 766kbps versus 512kbps.. important for access to my home automation/security system.

04/01/13 Update: got the email notice that my old (BellSouth era) 6.0mb DSL service was going to go from $43 to $46 per month.. Checked and found U-Verse HSI is now available at my location and decided it was time to upgrade.

Put the order in on 3/26 got the NVG510 on 3/29 with 4/01 as the planned installed date.. Tech called Monday that he was coming out to switch over the line at the DSLAM and came to the house to replace the NID, which was quite old.. Tested to make sure the line was good and waited to see that the modem came up.. He really went the extra mile and tested the line again through the home run inside the house to make sure everything was clean..

Excellent install experience, great tech!. I would only hope that AT&T management would appreciate that good techs can make all the difference in the world in how customers perceive the company.
-------------------------------
09/26/12 Update: About 3 weeks ago, my normally fast 6.0MB service started degrading to as low as 100-300 kilobit intermittently during the day.

I've been using VisualWare "My Connection Business Edition" Connection Analysis Software to see what is going on.... So far I've seen ATT backbone routers with up to 77% packet loss, excessive IP Forced Idles, depending on the route taken through ATTs backbone network.. At other times performs very close to rated speed I'm paying for.. I hope this isn't permanent for ATTs remaining DSL customers..

03/04/12 Update: My local DSLAM has been upgraded... was able to upgrade to 6mb down/512kb DSL; new IP-DSLAM (or UVERSE, not sure which it will be) is on site... Tech support during upgrade was great. Connection reliability, tech support review ratings raised from experience.

11/10/11 Update: Dropping the ratings down over the ongoing intermittent connections errors with yahoo email.. Some could say well that's Yahoo's problem.. but AT&T has to get the credit for choice to outsource email to unreliable provider..

I switched my outgoing email service to DynDNS outbound mail hop for only 20 bucks a year, and secured gmail email names I like, in case I need to drop use of all my old bellsouth.net email accounts..

10/03/2010 Update: Email seems to have settled down and more or less works OK. Client email software still gets intermittent log in failure, but just ignore as I know it's timing/loading in their system.

EMail Servers are unreliable since changeover to Yahoo...

Connection is now rock solid since long term problem referenced below was fixed.

Only 3 line drops (in the normal range) since 5/29. No drops since 07/01/09 and counting.. 8MB download/512KB upload sync rate.. (capped in 1.5mb as that's the service I pay for.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After quite a long period of problematic disconnects, my DSL has gone back to rock solid since 5/29/09. Only 2 disconnects have occurred since then. Can't say for sure that is what fixed it, but I did see techs spending a good part of a day working out at my DSLAM 1/2 mile away.

My modem and local loop (at the house and down our private road) were not touched.. The local loop connections inside the telco cab/DSLAM which may have been worked on..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Local DSL Loop work just fine, but very frequent disconnects.

AT&T BellSouth is no longer in the rock solid category... There are periods that it is rock solid and then there will be periods (mostly weekends) that reoccuring PADT commands are sent to knock down connection....

Since my DSL modem is set up to automatically reconnect, it does so.. but sometimes it continually cycles through connects/disconnect sequences.. and then it will run rock solid other times..

I have IP address monitoring software so I have date and time stamps every time they knock down the dynamic IP connection.

Comments:

Review by brantman See Profile

• Location: Fortson,Muscogee,GA
Good "Uncapped, reliable connection, OK customer service"
Bad "Terribly slow"
Overall "No Caps, Too slow to be relevant, only if you have no other option"

We moved to our current address in 2008 and the only internet option was AT&T. This was back in the days before video streaming was popular and the speeds then were perfect for the needs of the normal person. As time progressed and more people moved into the area, the speed dropped slowly until now where it is nearly unusable for anything other than checking email. Anything that requires more bandwidth than social media is a constant problem and too slow to use. The best things about the service were the customer service which was almost always helpful (even if the problem would return after 2 months) and the lack of a cap. Unfortunately, the company seems to either refuse or be unable to increase the speeds. After researching the Uverse option, it still won't be a real speed increase to compare with other types of services. If you only have the most basic of needs for internet (email and a few webpages) and want great customer service, this is perfect for you but otherwise, this should be your last option short of a capped data plan.

Comments:

Review by ncbill See Profile

• Location: Winston Salem,Forsyth,NC
Good "Cheap, cheap, cheap"
Bad "Only 768"
Overall "Get it if you can, if only for backup"

I had 6 meg cable broadband that cost me $45/month and never used the bandwidth!

I ordered AT&T's 768 "DSL Lite w/ term agreement" the day it became available.
(term agreement is 12 months, with a $50 early termination fee)

The $75 DSL modem/router & install kit came 3 days later.

I used the DSL splitter in the self-install kit to separate voice and DSL lines outside at the customer interface, so I don't need to use DSL filters on the phones inside.

I get about 650 down and 100 up.

I plan on keeping this as long as it remains $10/month, which is at least through 12/31/2009.

UPDATE:

Price raised to $20 in early 2010 - still only 768KB.

Will probably dump this for cable ($30/month for 6 months) or Clear WiMax ($40/month).

UPDATE:

Still using as of summer 2011.

1.5 down for $15/month.

Rock solid reliable, but slow (looks like no one locally can get more than 1.5 down, probably because of U-Verse coming)

UPDATE:

Still using as of spring 2012.

They still offer it for $15/month (up to 3MBps down)

My line still only provisions for 1.5, but I'll keep it forever as long as I can get this price (it now looks like U-Verse will NEVER come to this area)

UPDATE:

Summer, 2014:

Finally provisioned for 6MBps down, but the cost is $50/month!

Unexpected outage last month of nearly a full week.

Getting ready to switch over to 15MBPs down cable broadband ($35/month).

member for 7.9 years, 1428 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by marcusj3000 See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Rapides,LA
Good "Speed has tanked"
Bad "took them a while to find out why I wasn't recieving signal"
Overall "Crappy"

Ordered like the 18 of March, installed on the 22 of March but dsl didn't work and bellsouth said there was a problem with wiring of phone jack. I rewired jack and finally got a dial tone but no dsl signal. To make a long story short found out that CO was wired wrong so the signal wasn't even making it to the cross box. Up now 27 March and speeds are greet.

Update 3 Oct. 2006: reliability of connection has degrade to having to release and renew IP address multiple times a day. Customer service is still bad. Moved to new apartment in the same complex and they couldn't figure out if i could get DSL or not and when I put in transfer order they didn't move dsl cause their system said it was not available in new apartment even though it was an apartment in the same complex. So i canceled DSL even though it was already canceled and got a cable hooked up the same day and faster speed tier and less headaches than cable.

Update 12 December 2007: Time to set my new years resolution to dump this pathetic service and get on the speed train with cable. The have fell behind cable in speed and price which is sad. DSL is dying a slow death.

Update 15 October 2008: I have officially dumped them as a overprice pile of dong. They can't hold a candle to cable now and the price you get for speed is a total ripoff. U-verse deployment if slow to get out and they have raised prices and tacked on fees this company is a bust now. DSl is slowly dieing a painful death and will soon but a distant memory.

member for 11.5 years, 1490 visits, last login: 111 days ago

Comments:

Review by SlashG42 See Profile

• Location: Metairie,Jefferson,LA
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "3Mbps. No Real Cap."
Bad "Bit slow for the price."
Overall "Depends on distance to CO."

·Cox HSI
Ordered 3.0/384. I usually get 2300-2700/320-350.

When it works it's fine, but Bellsouth has only one CO for most of Metaire and Kenner. It is the Bellsouth building by Transcontinental and Veterans. If you live out towards the lake it is a very long wire run. Any time it rains or the wind blows, the connection drops. Bellsouth says since I'm at about 10,000 feet by the lake off of Transcontinental there's nothing they can do. They say that new CO's will be built in this area, but I've heard that same story since 2001.

If you live near the CO(under 1 mile driving distance) service is great, but if you live between the lake and W. Esplanade, 1.5Mbps is the fastest you will get stable, 3Mbps is mostly stable, and 6Mbps is impossible. I only know of one guy who can get the 6Mbps to work, but he lives about 2 blocks from the CO.

Dropped AT&T March 2008. Ran a dedicated drop with the filter outside the house specifically for the DSL modem using solid Cat6. Still had connection stability problems. Every time it rained or got very windy, I would lose my connection. Calm, sunny day, I could connect at full rate with not even a hiccup. The next tech told me it was a problem with my inside wiring. How the "F'" does rain or wind affect my inside wiring?

I no longer use AT&T. Switched to Cox. 6mbps vs 100+mbps for the same price with better stability.

Comments:

Review by SlowFITL See Profile

• Location: Mobile,Mobile,AL
Good "Absolutely nothing!"
Bad "AT&T refuses to upgrade fiber in the loop (FITL) systems...."
Overall "AT&T is killing off DSL leaving us with NOTHING!"

Update 5/22/14: Inconsistent speeds and the neighborhood remains unupgraded even though it has fiber to the curb! AT&T verified that they are sunsetting DSL next year meaning that I and many others will be left without internet service. AT&T is the biggest bunch of liars I have ever done business with.

Update 3/6/14: AT&T strikes again! They have announced another rate increase! They have done NOTHING to earn a rate increase. The top speed that they can deliver is 6 mb down and 512 k up. $54 for 6 meg DSL in 2014! I'm contemplating disconnecting all together and just going without internet until Mediacom gets cable installed to my neighborhood. I've already terminated my AT&T wireless service and I'm itching to do the same with my home service.

Update 12/15/13: Experiencing slow downs at peak times. During these peak times I see speeds of 3 - 4.5 mbps. AT&T is of no help and at this point I am just waiting on Mediacom to start the expansion that they have confirmed to be in the works. Those of us stuck with the various flavors of fiber in the loop are stuck with pure garbage DSL service from this pitiful excuse of a company. Bottom line.... if AT&T doesn't have U Verse in your area and you have other options run like hell.

Update 9/24/13: Speeds are more consistent over the past month. I am averaging around 5 mbps down which is still pathetic in my opinion, not to mention the upload speed of 420kbps. AT&T better get their ass in gear... Mediacom has confirmed that they are building out our subdivision. If AT&T leaves us with fiber to the curb technology that is outdated and failing Mediacom will pick up the entire subdivision.

Update: Speeds have been wildly fluctuating for nearly a month. My download speeds range from 2 mbps to 5.5 mbps with 3 mbps being the norm. Keep in mind that I am paying for 6 mbps service. I'm sick and tired of AT&T and the endless problems I have with them. The problem lies with the crappy fiber to the curb system that they don't maintain anymore that they won't upgrade. They just continue to milk the situation and take the customer's hard earned money. Crappy service from a cheap ass company.

Update: Connection issues seem to be resolved. The bottom line is that 6 mb DSL simply doesn't cut it anymore. AT&T needs to look themselves in the mirror and ask if they even want to be in the wireline business anymore. If cable were an option I would have been gone years ago.

Frequent outages due to the Marconi DISC*S FTTC system that serves our subdivision. AT&T keeps replacing cards in the pedestal as they keep going out. GET OFF YOUR BUTT AT&T AND REPLACE THESE OLD SYSTEMS! It's no wonder AT&T customers by in large have a negative view of them.

member for 2.8 years, 865 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
lrreed

join:2012-10-12
Albany, GA

att disconnecting

go with actiontec model GT784WN $58 -63.00 on Amazon. Have not had disconnect since installing. If you don't have att password, call tech support, they suppilied it even though I am not using thier Moden/Router. Hope this helps some one. Will not work on u-verse, only 2wire

David
I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

if you need help

Post in the direct forum, we can work on it.
copycat

join:2011-08-28
Tucker, GA

AT&T DSl

Yes it sux, in general. Slow, lags, disconnects, unbelievable. My Clearwire wireless broadband performs batter than AT&T crappy DSL.
sbken

join:2002-03-09
Etowah, NC

1 recommendation

ATT DSL is NOT interested in your concerns!

I've had nothing but miserable experience with ATT DSL. My speed is "capped" at 1.3 MB/s (on a good day) because their equipment is at maximum capacity and they have no intention to upgrading. My neighbor dropped their ATT DSL a year ago and recently requested reestablishment of DSL service. ATT refused claiming that "the loop is full" We have no other options in our remote location. I called the ATT President's Office and asked if ATT wasn't required to supply a minimum if DSL service - thinking about my neighbor. The unbelievably arrogant answer was the "Internet service is not guaranteed by the Constitution." I've frequently asked when U-Verse service would be available to me and was told that they had no plans to expand the service in my area. Obviously ATT would rather we just go away.

said by sbken:

It's almost like they were "baiting" you into cancelling your service with that response. As a matter of fact I think they were.

If I were you I would send a return receipt requested snail mail to the CEO , Mr. Randall Stephenson and let him know about this behavior.

I've heard a lot of things but this came from the execitive offices and in any circumstances is NOT ACCEPTABLE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.

Randall, you really need to monitor this site because it appears that you have NO clue about the OUTRAGEOUS behavior of your employees.
sbken

join:2002-03-09
Etowah, NC

Re: ATT DSL is NOT interested in your concerns!

Being a persistent cuss I've already sent snail mails to my two Senators, the FCC and the FTC. The FTC replied with a form letter, telling me they'll save my letter in their secure database. (Oh wow!) The FCC, as they have done previously, did not reply but sent a copy of my letter to the ATT President's office. As has happened before, the same "gentleman" in the President's office called me and apologized from speaking to me in a condescending manner. He did not promise any improvement to or resolution of the original problem. This afternoon I received a telephone call from one of the Senator's office in Washington, DC and the aide informed me that they were aware of the third-world quality of the U.S. internet. They were working with the FCC to draft new legislation to mandate improved internet service but that ATT and the other major carriers are fighting them. Nevertheless, he said that they might see some improvements/changes in the few couple of years. Don't hold your breath.

P.S. A few years ago I received a thinly-veiled email threat from ATT warning me that that had the authority of terminate my service if I took "harassing" action. They provided a long list of what they considered harassment conditions - obscenity, threats, etc. I've engaged in none of those actions. But they implied that other actions on my part could result in termination of service. So, a letter to Mr. Stephenson could be counter-productive. I'll wait to hear from my other Senator. But I don't expect any improvement in ATT Service in the foreseeable future.

said by sbken:

Sounds like someone in middle management is trying to prevent you from voicing your concerns to someone who can get something done ...like the CEO.

As long as your letter is respectful I see NO reason why you shouldn't let the CEO know about how his underlings are responding to those THAT PAY THEIR SALARIES!

The ONLY reason that other "gentleman" apologized for his behavior is because he knows that it was COMPLETELY UNacceptable behavior and is probably grounds for HIS TERMINATION, if the CEO knew about it. Which the CEO SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THIS BEHAVIOR.

The critical thing is that you must send that letter
"return receipt requested, to be opened ONLY by Mr. Randall Stephenson CEO of ATT. "

Re: ATT DSL is NOT interested in your concerns!

The problem with AT&T is management. They are completely uncoordinated. It's a classic case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. The best thing that could happen is for the wireline business to be spun off.

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19

Re: ATT DSL is NOT interested in your concerns!

Soon as they find a buyer with $1 trillion dollars it's sold.
They want 100% wireless and cant wait to drop all landlines.

Re: ATT DSL is NOT interested in your concerns!

The imagined unending profit goldmine with wireless won't last forever, considering how the main street economy is stumbling more than even now, (wages stagnant or dropping due to inflation) price of staples going up, gas ect...most consumers are at the tipping point of what they can afford to spend on NONessential items, and internet is one of them.

DataRiker
join:2002-05-19

1 recommendation

Re: ATT DSL is NOT interested in your concerns!

Anything Randall Stephenson can do for another steak dinner.

ATT is the absolute bottom of the dumpster.

said by DataRiker:

ATT is the absolute bottom of the dumpster.

Quoted for the truth. I'm stuck with them and hate every minute of it until Mediacom decides they want to service our neighborhood.

Danny

@bellsouth.net

Re: ATT DSL is NOT interested in your concerns!

ever since about oct-2012, from 3pm to 9-10pm our ping goes up by outrageous rates. i try speedtests, and the throttling holds us steady "within our payment plan range" but the connection is intermittent overall.

every day my sons complain about how they cant play their games because their lag is so horrible because of the high pings.

customer support is NO HELP because as i said we're "within our accepted range for our payment plan"

such utter BS.

ronny4067

@sbcglobal.net

ATT DSL

As some of you have stated, at&t is 'not' interested in providing adsl service over copper network. It is trying it's best to get rid of all it's copper that will not support u_verse. U-verse and wireless is what at&t wants to continue to provide, because it has no, or very little, government oversight. at&t shopped it's copper network several year's ago but no one was interested. If your on copper and outside the range of U-verse, good luck. If your state regulates the copper network, ie goergia's PSC, that is your only hope. good luck!!!!

biotech

@66.249.113.x

Change your DSL provider

Instead of whining about Ma Bell's prices for DSL service, why don't you TRY to change providers such as DSLExtreme or any CLEC DSL Provider since they have much friendlier prices ($19 for 6mbps internet with renewable contract for DSLExtreme) and that they are MUCH wiling to help customers who know about this website.

said by biotech :

There are NO other options at my address.
SuperTech

join:2014-03-21

What area are you in?

said by SuperTech:

What area are you in?

I'm in far west Mobile. My neighborhood was built in 2005 and wired with the newest version of FTTC. It's a simple matter of AT&T not caring to upgrade the electronics in these systems.

SuperTech

@144.160.226.x
Maybe try getting in touch with a local guy.. Could be line issues.

said by SuperTech :

Maybe try getting in touch with a local guy.. Could be line issues.

Something strange just happened. Southern Light has been running fiber on the poles in my to the area close to my serving RT and the latency and speeds suddenly got better. I wonder if Southern Light is providing fiber for AT&T in some instances?

AttHostage

@99.117.50.x

att has been holding me hostage after i called

they locked up my line by putting a "SERVICE in PROCESS" Hold on the line. I cant get another service or do anything until they either take that off or I call them and say I QUIT ! That is their way or Extortion. Extorting money from me by not allowing me to go somewhere else because of the service hold on my line.

Review by taco_hell See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Nothing, I wonder if AT&T really reads this?"
Bad "tech support and sometimes billing department,caps, caps, caps!"
Overall "Good Bye for good!"

i was a bellsouth costumer but after being tired from all of their abuses i changed to directv dsl. Bellsouth has monkeys working in their billing department, they always made mistakes on my account, charged me $200 dollars for installation where i did the installation and nobody knew why that amount of money was in my account. My service always was disconnected at the beginning of the month due to some misunderstanding between bellsouth adsl and bellsouth the phone company. In other words if you suffer from ulcers or hemorroids, don't go with bellsouth, if you do prepare yourself for long waitings and long fightings and all you get is a "we are sorry" but that does not guaranteed that the same mistakes are going to stop. When it wasn't working i called the tech support and as always they don't know what is happening and after all the drill they decides to forward the call to billing information which takes 20 minutes in hold 20 minutes to find out, 10 minutes fighting and oh no manager around.

Thank god that bellsouth doesn't own the only dsl provider in miami and i am happy with the current one.

Update, after DTV went kaput i switched back to BS, now i upgraded it to extreme package and i am kinda happy. Tech support sometimes is a awsome and some other times is a pain in the arse.

But overall i know they are not going to file for bankrupcy...yet

Update: Service is ok, caps baaaaaad. I do not have uverse, i am not crazy to pay $200 bucks out of the bat. Caps are kiling me, i cannot even watch on demand shows as my tv provider is directv.

Update: Moved to a new location and took my money to comcast, 50 megs download and half the price for ucrap, aaaahh and no caps!!! Still waiting if google decides to come to FL, oh and EF you! AT&T you wont steal my $20 bucks monthly like before because of your stupid cap, good bye and I hope more people leave you.

ATT people knocking on my door to sell u-verse..yeah right

member for 13.2 years, 781 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

SlowFITL

Yep... AT&T sucks!

I hate AT&T so bad that I wish I lived somewhere with another option such as cable. AT&T does not care about its customers although they claim to.

lgamer

join:2004-08-16
Louisville, KY

Re: Yep... AT&T sucks!

I agree with that. AT&T sucks and so does their service.

Review by youngerberry See Profile

• Location: Shreveport,Caddo,LA
Good "Great."
Bad "none."
Overall "Good service, just a few glitches."

·New Wave Communi..
Well, it's been a good ride with very few problems. Since I had some tree damage to the drop I now have slowdowns during rain, but not always.

Still have crawling speed when thunderstorms are around.

Update. Finally got a home run installed and fixed the slowdown during wet weather. Back to a happy camper.
Still going strong. Service slow at night for a week or so but fixed now. Still a h
appy camper.

Still good service. 04/13/2012.

member for 13.3 years, 8350 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by cubguy See Profile

• Location: Aberdeen,Monroe,MS
Good "Poor Service (Only Service Available besides satellite)"
Bad "Many Bounces, Weather causes sync issues, Consistent disconnects"
Overall "Sad that a company would allow this service to represent their "Best Effort""

I currently don't have any options for broadband. At&t IS no longer dropping fiber here, and service quality has consistently declined over the past 12 months. We are almost to the end of the copper line and where I could once consistently reach 83% of promised high end speeds of 3.0 and the full upload speed, now seldom do I have half of that.

I do have one peeve though. It seems that AT&T cant seems to overcome the sync issues associated with local or distant weather. If it even thunders in my area, I lose sync for about 30-45 seconds. I upgraded to a 2-Wire modem because I thought it was the Westell on my end and it improved some, but it still happens. With the last weather even on 4/28, the service has degraded almost everyday during daylight hours but miraculously seems to recover around 8pm.

»www.speedtest.net/result/972209297.png