AT&T Midwest page on DSLReports

Review by ArgMeMatey See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Quick shipment, works as advertised"
Bad "Need more upload speed"
Overall "Cheap and reliable"

27 June 2014
I regularly check rates, since I am currently using Time Warner. However AT&T is not competitive on pricing. The best I could find was about $40 on a limited time offer, which is still more than I am paying for TW guaranteed for twelve months.

The one advantage I could find in AT&T's service is that they provide service during power outages, which Time Warner did not do during our last outage lasting less than two hours. Power outages are rare here, roughly once a year for less than two hours.

29 March 2012
It's been over nine years and I'm finally casting off. I've been paying $30 or less for 12 Mbps for the past year and they gave me the $100 3600HGV for nothing. But, I couldn't get them to give me a better deal than $48 on the 12 Mbps. They offered to downgrade me to 3 Mbps for $33 a month for six months, but that ain't much of a deal when Time Warner is offering 10 Mbps for $30 for a year.

Two more days and I'm gone. Reluctantly, as the service on VDSL has been very good.

Added 04 April 2011
After about eight years with AT&T ADSL, I switched to AT&T VDSL aka UVerse. The main reason I did this was I was coming up on the end of my promo period for ADSL, the usage cap is higher on VDSL (250 GB).

Never had any major problems with ADSL. I could gripe all day about AT&T's billing and installation issues, but once the service is installed, service interruptions exceeding 10 SECONDS were very rare. The repair techs found and fixed problems in AT&T's outside plant, and they were nice to work with.

Occasionally I would try calling their tech support, though, and that was generally a waste of time. I had better luck searching for solutions online and troubleshooting by myself.

My latest service upgrade from 3 Mbps to 6 Mbps went smoothly.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Added 06 Oct 2009
Nothing new here. Everything is the same. Move along please.

End edit
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

********************************************
Added 01 Jan 2009:
My DSL continues to be very reliable. The only persistent problem was with a bad wire connector on the pole by my house. I am thinking about adding Tivo/Netflix and if so will be interested in seeing how long it takes to download a typical movie on 3008. I am also wondering, however, what will happen with the usage-based pricing threats that AT&T keeps floating.

I thought about switching to Uverse VDSL but I am holding out for a better channel package that gives me less garbage and more of what I want, for less money of course. I figure most of their VRADs are basically idling and I am wondering to what extent they might reduce their profits in order to increase penetration.

I usually pay just under $49 for DSL plus bare bones POTS. Not ready to give up POTS yet. VOIP has been pretty solid for us after a couple of long failures three years ago. We rarely use the POTS but I choose to view it like insurance, of which we have plenty and hope to never use.

End edit 01 Jan 2009
*****************************************************

I had DSL installed at my office in August 2008. They screwed up the order and it took an extra week to get the modem, and it was not the one they promised on the phone. They "threw in" connection from the Building Binder Posts to the modem jack. But not setup. So the AT&T tech wired it all through and left. After I got the modem hooked up, it didn't work. So I took it to the NID and it worked fine. Time to replace the inside wiring. All went fine then. But I should have checked it before he left. Just too busy to bother with it at that moment. Since then, no notable problems.

3008/512 translates to 2500/400 or so. The upload speed never used to bother me, but now I am sometimes uploading lots of photos and it takes way too long. I get what I pay for, generally, but I reserve the right to complain for any reason.

I just upgraded from 1500/384 as a hedge. I had checked with SBC Direct in May and was told that I should have no trouble getting the max sync speeds. I was paying as noted below through September 2006 but the new offer was $17.95 plus fees and taxes, so now we have a commitment through June 2007. I submitted an online order and was smoothly upgraded overnight.

I submitted the order and then immediately rebooted the modem:

2006/07/19 13:07:42 GMT E |DSL |Link up 1 US 384 DS 1536 (FAST:G.dmt)

...
And then this happened overnight:
2006/07/20 08:33:25 GMT E |DSL |Link up 2 US 512 DS 3008 (FAST:G.dmt)

Dynamic IP
Speedstream 4100 (Nice stats)

In October I moved my DSL from one phone line to another, and that didn't go particularly smoothly: They disconnected me twice because something didn't "take" in the system properly, the new modem did not ship out as expected, they gave me a new phone # and then called me back and said they made a mistake and that number was not available, the DSL billing did not get transferred from the old account to the new account and so on. Nothing new there.

I can't comment on tech support because I use the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy.

SBC Direct forum is available and most questions get better answers in the SBC BBR forum anyway.

Here's my 28 March 2007 Bill:

$34.99 Regular rate for PRO (3008/512)
$17.00 -Credit for 12-mo contract
$ 1.01 + 5.6% sales tax in Milwaukee County
------------------
$19.00 SubTotal

Voice service IS REQUIRED to get this. So here's what I pay for that.

$10.78 Local Line (Increased to $10+ in Spring 2006)
$ 1.00 Local Calls, 25@ $0.04 each
$19.46 SubTotal
------------------------
$38.46 Grand Total

member for 13.1 years, 4371 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by W8ASA See Profile

• Location: Dayton,Montgomery,OH
Good "Solid Connection"
Bad "None At All"
Overall "Highly Recommended!"

UPDATE 6-17-2014: Still a solid connection. Too bad I can't get U-Verse and its higher speeds. Price went up this year.

UPDATE 10-3-2013: No problems to report. It's raining heavily today, and DSL is still up, so what else is there to say? I've had this service a LOOOOOOONG time now!

UPDATE 6-30-2010: I don't have any problems to report. Still works as it should, night and day. I "almost" want to have a problem just so I can post in the Midwest forum again. Still at 6016/600.

UPDATE 08-24-2009: Another boring year with the only problem being their e-mail servers messing up once in a while during the authentication process.

UPDATE 10-09-2008: Continues working with no problems. I do miss the newsgroups they dropped for no apparent good reason.

UPDATE 10-25-2007: It still works. What else is there to say? I have nothing but good things to say, and zero problems this past year.

UPDATE 11-24-2006: I remember the "old" days when reviews would be scathing about various DSL vendors. Nothing is wrong with my connection or service. The only thing I'd like to see is a lower rate... heh heh.

UPDATE 8-30-2006: Another boringly positive review. No problems, just the advertised speed and service. Newsgroups work, e-mail works. Don't you wish YOUR connection were this solid?

UPDATE 4-20-2006: The connection works every day just as it should, and is rock-solid. I have no complaints at all.

UPDATE 11-18-2005: I just upgraded to the 6.0/608 connection, and saved 5 bucks per month in the process from what I had been paying for my 3.0 meg connection (business). I had called to re-rate my 3.0 to a lower price, and the nice lady happened to mention the new 6.0 price of $64.95 per month. About six days later, the connection gives me 4848/500 or so. I'll keep tweaking to see what speed I can wring out of this solid connection. This is the way DSL is supposed to operate. No problems on upgrade, and I'm getting what I pay for. Next stop - ADSL2. I gave a medium on tech support because I haven't called them in so long that I don't have an opinion at all on their tech support. That's a good thing, by the way. I use their newsgroups, and without problems.

UPDATE 1-8-2005: Since the terrible snafu(s) last fall, my connection has been solid. I'm getting ~2.4 Mb down on a nominal 3.0 connection. No drops in connection have been noted at all. SBC also hosts several web sites for me, and the only problem they have shown in the past several years is that SPAM COP apparently dislikes the SBC IP addresses, because some of my customers are missing e-mails from me due to their companies' use of SPAM COP.

UPDATE 9-22-2004: I had service for a few days, and then yesterday came into the office to find that I had no sync - nada. Tech told me something about being switched in the RT from a 4-person card to a 500-person card involving fiber optics so I wouldn't be losing sync. Trouble ticket sent to SBC wire guys, I think. This morning I have sync/no surf, and no one knows why. I talked to the techs in St. Louis, who have tried to help. They said that as of 9:04 this morning, the local SBC truck had me on their roll list of things to do. It's a little after noon and nothing yet. I even called the SBD I&R local office manager and left him a message. This is so incredibly frustrating. After all these years of great service, they've managed to completely drop the ball.

UPDATE 9-14-2004: Still not up, and the call from their network center in St. Louis this afternoon informed me that they don't know WHEN OR IF I will be up an running. No one at SBC or ASI seems to have a clue as to how to get this simple move accomplished. It's very, very frustrating. I've escalated it as high as they will let me to no avail. It's a black hole of information. Copper guys blame it on ASI, and ASI doesn't know what is really wrong.

UPDATE 9-12-2004: I moved from one part of town to another recently, and took my phone numbers and DSL with me. Because I had a 6000/608, they decided I couldn't have that any more, so I'm on a 1.5-3.0 plan. On Thursday, 9 Sept, my connection worked OK, getting 2247 downloads. On Friday, I came in to work and the DSL was down. Called tech support twice and got two different answers. No response yet from the SBC Direct guys as to what the problem actually is. First tech spt guy had me do the usual: disconnect router, use XP's PPPoE, to no avail. At least the second guy didn't have me do that again. However, he told me that "7people or more in my area are affected" by this outage, caused by "DSL capacity issues/server busy on Junipers. "Equipment and/or application name Junipers" were the words he read off some screen on his computer. Until this problem is solved, I have downgraded my ratings of SBC. I just cannot seem to get a straight answer, and my small business depends greatly on a fast internet connection. I know there is probably one person at the NOC who could quickly analyze and correct the problem, but who is she/he? Could it be an RT problem? One SBC person told me I'm now on an RT, and another told me he can't tell if I am or not. Fingers crossed, but if this isn't corrected on Monday, I'm going over to the dark side.

UPDATE 7-26-2004: Still going strong, with no downtime whatsoever. They seem to have speeded up the newsgroup servers. This service rocks!

UPDATE 2-24-2004: I'm getting right at 5000 download, so I'm pleased as punch! Solid connection with zero downtime. Speedstream 5360 with BEFSR41 router.

UPDATE 12-5-2003: Upgrade to 6000/608 went smoothly and right on time, thanks to the Moose! Seems very solid so far. For speeds, I'm getting around 4800/512, so will do a little more tweaking. Thanks to da Moose!

UPDATE 11-24-2003: Still doing fine. I have not had any downtime whatsoever, and use the connection all day long here in my office. Very pleased. I am considering the upgrade to 6000. Just need approval for the cost difference.

UPDATE 4-17-03:

Still running fine. Zero downtime. News server still won't let me post to some groups, and no one can figure out why.

UPDATE 1-13-2003:

Just before Christmas 2002, I was on the phone with their sales group on an unrelated matter, and he told me that in 2003, Ameritech was going to take back all the unbundled loops, because they needed the copper, etc. He proceeded to tell me that my business 1.5Meg U/L could be easily changed to line sharing, and if I did so, my bill would drop from $79.95/mo + $6.00/mo for newsgroups, to only $49.95 per month total! Well, I told him for that kind of savings to sign me up. I got a new 5360 modem a few days later, and the sync was already working! I signed on with my old user name, and voila, I was on. The only hiccup was that today, they cut off my old user name and I had to get a new one, but that only took about 2 minutes with a knowledgable billing person. Speed tests are identical to the U/L speed tests I've posted. I'm very happy with the switch, and am saving $36.00 per month to boot! Congratulations to the heads-up salesman who told me about the program. I still have my Westell Wirespeed modem as a backup should the 5360 go bad for some reason, and Ameritech can consider me a happy camper! One question: Why am I now still on Ameritech.net and not SBC or Yahoo or whatever? Not important, but I am curious.

UPDATE 1-29-2002:

Yesterday, I upgraded to 1500/256. They were able to change the speed very quickly, and without problems. All I had to do was make sure the modem was turned on all day so they could test the line. My test speeds are around 1280/350 or so, and I'm happy with that. I still would not hesitate to recommend the Ameritech/SBC ADSL to anyone who can get it. I don't even remember the last time it was down. That, coupled with an excellent modem (Westell Wirespeed), make for a seamless connection to the Internet. In the next few days, I'm going to purchase a Linksys BEFSR41 to hook up the other computer here in the office. They say I'm supposed to have a static IP, but so far I've gotten dynamic ones -- which is fine with me.

OLD REVIEW:

I've had Ameritech ADSL (768/128) for exactly one year now, and have been generally pleased. Now that they have switched the newsgroup control over to Prodigy, I have no complaints whatsoever. My speed tests usually run ~640/137 after tweaking, so I'm pleased with that part, too. Their tech support has always been helpful and knowledgeable. The Westell Speedstream modem works perfectly day after day. RASPPPoE works much better for me than did the Enternet software.

member for 14.1 years, 5136 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by VegasMan See Profile

• Location: Schaumburg,Cook,IL
  • Telco party Ameritech
Good "Always have good DL speeds."
Bad "Price to speed ratio sucks."
Overall "Good Service"

When I ordered the service I had my modem within 5 days and service was already when I plugged it in.
After about 3 months I started having sync problems would drop for about 20 seconds but never lost connection. Tech support wasn't much help later found the problem was the modem which they finally said was a problem modem to begin with I think they waited to tell me that after the warranty was over. Now have 5360 and my top DL speeds have dropped down to 630k at best from 800k with the USB
but my UL speeds increased from 80k to 134k so for 768/128 service I am pleased with this. I did have a service call from ASI which is the contract company they use for DSL and the tech said I was very close to the central switch and that if I wanted too I could upgrade to the top of line 4Mb DL line with no problems I think I'll meet them half way and go with the 1.5 line for 59.95/mo
I have had the service since Sept. '01 and done self install to save the $99 install fee.
Overall quality out of 5 stars I give them 4

Update 12-3-03
Well made a move down the hall in my apartment building and kept the same ph# which I now think was a problem because for some reason the system wouldn't release my old address so they could activate my new address. Initial active date was to be Nov. 20th a few phone calls and being told that it would be released on the 26th and would receive a call with my new activation date but that call never came because as of Dec. 1st it was still active at my old address, So with some help from the official and un-official SBC support on this site my DSL is now active.

I still can't give a 5 on tech support yet because of the phone help that I didn't receive.

Thanks guys you might have just kept me from putting a gag in my wifes mouth so I wouldn't hear "Why don't we have DSL yet" I think my nerves were starting to show in my post, Sorry
Thanks to:
Beach Boy
ADSL Guy
Moose (even though you really didn't have to do anything)
I think that's everybody

2/10/04 Update

Called on the 2nd to get 6/608 got the upgrade today and love the speeds getting 4980/522 on a consistent basis.

9/22/05 Update
Things still running smooth. Built a new system and now my speeds are 5100/522.

10/25/06
Things still smooth. Wanted to move to the 6/768 package but ASI tech says my line isn't good enough to support it????? Funny thing is my line is solid 5100/522 with the 6/608 package.
Just updated to a 4100 modem and my line stats say 45.5 att and 12 SNR. Both are on the low end of the OK range.

12/4/2008 Update
Nothing new to report. Move along nothing to see here.

12/7/2009 Update
More of the same. Changed value for the money since the prices are much lower now for the speeds I receive but do to my situation I have to pay a premium to keep 6/608 service.

8/3/13 Update
Got a note from ATT a few weeks back telling me I could get an upgrade on my speeds due to digital network upgrades. After asking our online support here the only upgrade I was eligible for was to pay an extra $1/mo for the same speeds that I have had for the last 9 years. No thanks ATT I think I will pass this time around.
If I had access to any other ISP I would probably have switched by now. $45/mo for 6/768 DSL isn't really a very good deal these days.

1/27/2014 Update
Upgraded to Uverse 6/768 to save a few bucks after I got a promo. Speeds are just a tad better than the DSL.

member for 11.8 years, 4847 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by computerman2 See Profile

• Location: Rockwood,Wayne,MI
Good "Speed, Realiability, Support"
Bad "Bandwidth Caps"
Overall "Isn't too bad if your not a big data user or streaming video watching"

·WOW Internet and..
January 2014 after the bill got too high, at&t started capping legacy DSL users, Which also capped our Directv video on Demand. So we made family decision to leave at&T.

Made the choice to switch back to Cable Internet, Cable TV (From at&t directv) and also WOW phone.. While at&t was stable and worked pretty well. It was time for more speed, and such--Thank you at&T staff and group for great years of use

March 2012--Lately More Lag in Second Life 3D Game, Higher Pings or Packet loss at times, but overall the connection i guess is stable, maybe just Secondlife Servers and at&t Routing, Still using Motorola 2210 modem, and Netgear WGR614V10 Router, Can Try the at&t 2wire device if anyone thinks it will help the issue i'm having lately.

Overall support has been good though--instant replies from DSL Direct, and phone support was helpful last time i called in

Windows 7 64bit is main PC-hard wired
2 Laptops on the connection off and on
Windows phone 7-wiress
Ipod touch-wireless
DIrectv whole home service--wired
2 Desktop PC's wireless

Modem is currently filtered, as phone support said i needed it filtered since this is a line share line, but phone isn't hooked up on that jack in there--so if i don't really need it, then i'll just plug modem in directly to jack like before

Fall 2011

Still Going Strong, Called into get my at&t data connect device cancelled recently, while speaking to the nice rep in Billing, got offered the following

$8.00 off Home Phone part of Combined bill
Elite Internet For $19.95 for a whole year as well

Both of those discounts for a year

So Still a Nice Happy Camper here with at&t dsl

Our at&t directv is working well as well

Spring of 2011 Additonal

Now Have Directv On Demand as well, and Movies are Quickly Downloaded to our Receiver, So far still under cap amount according to our Router, so still very happy

And No i'm not an at&t employee, I'm just a Happy at&t yahoo dsl user!

Service is Running Great, 100 Percent uptime, No lag, Modem and Router working Great, Upcoming Caps shouldn't be a problem, as i'm monitoring with our Netgear Router-Not even close to go over with 6 PC's on the network and Nintendo Wii, but we don't stream netflix or anything like that

Keep up the Great Work and Service At&t. Occasonal Lag with Second Life program, but i blame that more on the Second life servers than at&t, as i don't experience any problems in other online games!!

August 26th 2010: Excellent uptime, fantasic speed, Motorola 2210 still going well, and same router as last review going very well. did replace 2wires power supply in case i ever need a backup

Support: times i had to call in no problems, and at&t direct support excellent, and a wonderful resource

Keep up the Great Work at&T!!

February 18th 2010: Service Speed is Excellent, Online Gaming Fantasic, Nothing so far beats the Price of at&t yahoo dsl, Support has been excellent with us, only had to call in a few times, and issue is usually resolved quickly. As i stated in all my previous reviews--a Very Satisified At&t yahoo dsl customer. Forgot to mention in my September Review Update--buying a new motorola 2210 Modem at Walmart was simple and hookup and configuration of it was also very simple after our 2wires power supply died.(Someday may replace that though)

But So Far My older Netgear WRG614V6 is working very well with the service...

Keep up the Good work at&t employees and keep the same reliable service we've come to expect

If Bandwidth caps ever come to at&t i'll provide stay with them anyways, just cut down on some of my downloading, unless it affects programs i use day in and day out, example like SecondLife(which uses alot of bandwidth), Sam Broadcaster, Skype, Online Radio and such

September 2nd 2009: Service Still Going Great, Any Issues i've had Been Solved Quickly Thru either at&t internet phone support or thru at&t direct here in the dslreports forum. These days I Dj every day in Second Life, Skype at times, Yahoo Messenger, Online gaming, All in All as i said in last review--Very Satisfied with At&t High Speed DSL service.

Will Keep on using it for the future, and when uverse is available, may consider switching to that, but then again may not be as reliable as this has been for us

February 6th 2009: Service Still Rock Solid, 2wire modem still working Good, Had some Minor service outages, but those were resolved in a timely fashion, from my last review still do alot of internet stuff, voice over ip with yahoo messenger, skype sometimes, Online game, Dj in a Computer program occasionally, All in all Great Service.

Could still use more speed though, but for the price cannot beat the realiability with at&t yahoo dsl

For 5 PC's Excellent Service

Mcafee From at&t yahoo--excellent, no problems with it so far, currently have it installed on 2 of the 5 Pc's, but will be installing on the laptop later on this evening

4/29/2008: Bought 2wire DSL modem/router in December 2007, to replace old DSL modem and Netgear Router that died after a power outage. Service is excellent still, like the 2wire modem alot, online gaming doesn't boot as much with the new 2wire modem, Still do all the same stuff i used to with the old router.

Hopefully more Internet speed comes in the future, but for now great service, great speed, low pings for online gaming, video watching, voice over ip. Do more with at&t yahoo dsl than i ever did with my Wideopenwst Cable internet, mind you when i had that service, top speed i think was 4.0mbps download and 512 or 384 upload, 6mb and 768 is awesome speed to me

I'm very happy with this service thus far, the speed is great even with 3-4 PC's doing stuff on the network, The modem was easy to setup to work with my wireless router when i got it, the setup of the service was extremely excellent. Nice service for the price and the contract term, and I look forward to staying with it for many years to come.

Can't beat the price for such a decent service--as far as I know $26.95(was the toal when i was on Express package, new total is $28.20 with Elite(6016/768 package) Elite is a great package, as much as we use internet, having the extra speed from Express, Pro, Elite helps out alot, I download videos, (legal videos), online gaming, voice over ip with skype or yahoo messenger voice. with 4-5 PC's active constanly...

So I rate this service as excellent, the times i did have to speak to support was always great at solving problems..and getting issues resolved....So very happy customer, and plan to stay with SBC(At&T yahoo DSL) for a long long time

10/04/2007 Update: Very Happy with the Service, No Downtime, excellent online game, all around wonderful service, will be with at&t yahoo dsl for years. Totally Awesome service, online gaming is great with this service.

member for 12.4 years, 2046 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bringel See Profile

• Location: Cadillac,Wexford,MI
Good "Faster than DSL"
Bad "Too many dropped connections"
Overall "Can NOT recommend U-Verse "

After suffering several years with poor DSL service, I was offered a promo to upgrade to U-Verse with promised reliability and speed improvements at a lower cost. This was a bundle package with my POTS service.

AT&T installed U-Verse with their standard NGV510 wireless router and I immediately started experiencing problems.

1) I was still experiencing dropouts but their "brain dead" NGV510 modem exasperated the problem by redirecting those 404 error pages to a diagnostic page within the router which told me to check my DSL filters. (you don't need or use filters with U-Verse) Once the NGV510 router hijacks that page, it caches that error page in my computers history so that any successive attempt to go to that site pulls up that cached error page instead. The only way to recover is to delete all history from the browser ---- unacceptable.

2) AT&T has locked down this router so that the customer is unable to change its DNS settings. You are forced to use the AT&T specified settings. My line dropouts and or 404 errors may have been caused by a poor copper line or it may have been their lousy DNS system. I do not know.

3) The NGV510 router does not have the configuration settings to place it in Bridge mode so that I can install my 802.11/ac Apple Time Capsule behind it which pretty much leaves that T/C as an expensive paper weight. My T/C worked very well on my previous DSL network using their 2-Wire DSL modem/router.

4) The run around I was getting from AT&T's tech support was unacceptably exasperating and we finally agreed there was nothing they could do to solve my issues and I demanded they uninstall U-Verse and return my connection back to DSL. They told me that DSL was no longer available for my address and I explained that it was only one week ago that I had been using it. They finally agreed to switch me back after I threatened to dump AT&T altogether.

Comments:

David
I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
·DIRECTV
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

did you try the dmz/IP passthru options?

typically if you have a established network behind a router you like, most typically just set the DMZ IP passthru options on the nvg510 and use it like a single pass thru modem.

This is typically how most that have custom configurations as yours do it.

»www.att.com/gen/general?pid=23697
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

Review by boomer981 See Profile

• Location: Mooresville,Morgan,IN
Good "Easy installation"
Bad "Goes down about every two weeks, necessitating a phone call to repair"
Overall "Not reliable."

We used to have AT&T DSL and it was reliable. We recently switched to Uverse for faster speeds. The service has gone down multiple times, and we've had multiple service calls. They've replaced the AT&T box and wiring on the house, replaced the wiring going into the house, replaced the jack and wiring inside the house, and it still goes down frequently. We've got our fourth service call scheduled for tomorrow. For some reason it seems to go down when it rains.

We live in a technological black hole where only AT&T and New Wave Communications are available. If this service call doesn't fix it, I will be trying New Wave.

member for 13.1 years, 2801 visits, last login: 334 days ago

Comments:

David
I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

You still working on this?

We can help.. let me know.

Review by MagMan See Profile

• Location: Westlake,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Reliable"
Bad " Want More Speed"
Overall "Would recomend to any body wanting DSL"

·AT&T Midwest
Would like to get faster speeds,need a closer RT or something.

I am currently at 19.95 a month for the express pkg for adding long distance to my phone service.

For anyone looking for DSL in there area AT&T is a good choice in my opinion.

Not happy now with $5 increase a month...

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

MagMan
Life is simpler when you tell the truth.
join:2003-10-01
Westlake, OH

The need for speed

They now suck.

Need more speed, too far from CO U-verse all around me but not on my street.

Cable is looking better everyday.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

Review by MagMan See Profile

• Location: Westlake,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Very pleased with reliablity no down time"
Bad " Now raising prices"
Overall " Leary now with the direction they are going"

·AT&T Midwest
Had no regrets going with AT&T best service for the price!!

I would suggest anyone looking for DSL to try AT&T in my opinion they are great.

U-Verse is here, but reluctant to try it because of the rumors of many problems.

Not happy now with $5 a month increase plus having previous e-mail problems...

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

MagMan
Life is simpler when you tell the truth.
join:2003-10-01
Westlake, OH

The need for speed

They now suck.

Need more speed, too far from CO U-verse all around me but not on my street.

Cable is looking better everyday.

Review by Dolphin See Profile

• Location: Evanston,Cook,IL
Good "Good Package for Price"
Bad "Lack of coordination between sales and technical support"
Overall "Service has improved -- don't remember the last time I couldn't connect."

I ordered the 768/128 package at $29.95 per month (for 12 months). Equipment included an Efficient SpeedStream 5160 DSL modem, filters, and installation CD. Equipment arrived approximately 3 days before activation date.

The actual ordering process was thorough and painless. The salesperson answered all my questions (I had quite a few questions) and she seemed relatively knowledgeable about technical details. Install (I opted for self-install) was a breeze and took less than 15 minutes. The exception to a completely painless install was the "registration" process. The "registration" page didn't work and I had to call tech support to be re-directed to an alternative mean of registration. After that, I was up and surfing at reasonably good speeds. In general, tech support has been friendly & helpful but there is certainly room for improvement.

I was not pleased with the confusion between sales and technical support. When I ordered DSL, the sales rep. gave me an activation date. Well, fortunately, I called *before* the activation date just to make sure. Good thing I did call. I was told that my activation date was different than the original date I'd been given. I wasn't pleased with that snafu. I was given a different activation date and that one stuck.

After installation I encountered a problem with accessing certain websites. My call to technical support was not very helpful. They could not solve the problem. Eventually, I resolved the issue myself (with the help of members at the DSLReports website). That doesn't bode well for people that are less technically savvy than I and aren't aware of DSLReports website. Connectivity has been relatively good despite some mail server issues. At times (not very many), I was not able to receive email and *that* is NOT acceptable.

I spite of the difficulties I've encountered, at this point, I'm still pleased with AT&T's DSL service.

UPDATE: I was pleased and surprised to get a promotional rate (with a speed upgrade with NO price increase! )

Since my last review, I have had no problems with receiving email and no dropped connections. I have had to contact tech support a couple of times but I do not call in for support. Instead, I go to the "Ameritech" forum here for support. The support I've received in the forum has been excellent. My questions and issues were addressed immediately by the techs in the forum. My accolades go to the techs for fantastic customer support! Many users would be lost without their help. If you have a problem, just send an IM to one of the techs at the Ameritech forum and they will get back with you. I sent an IM to a tech in the forum and he got back to me within 15 minutes! Now, that's support at it's best!

Update: I'm pleased with the service and the price. Recently got re-rated at the same price -- actually, I'm paying a little less. Downtime is rare and that's a big PLUS.

Update: Ameritech is now AT&T. So far, I can't recall the last time I was unable to connect (of course, I'm very pleased about that). Recently, I thought about switching back to cable. But I thought again and decided not to switch because I remembered how frustrated I was when my cable speed deteriorated during evening hours when everyone on my block was sharing bandwidth!

member for 12.1 years, 4019 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by breese See Profile

• Location: Arlington Heights,Cook,IL
Good "Extremely reliable over the years"
Bad "With every update comes more problems"
Overall "No U-Verse after Years, Yahoo Mail Now Sucks... No One Is Listening"

·AT&T DSL Service
I have had Ameritech / SBC DSL since it first became available in Arlington Heights (I think 1998).

I continue to WAIT for U-Verse Cable.... No one from ATT responds to customer requests to finish area upgrade.

New Yahoo Mail and built in Messanger has become the WORST Internet Mail System. Last round of updates has continues timeouts, Options Menu poping up for no reasion, effects all acounts....

As I have said for some years now.... No One Is Listening!!!!
Will someone there listen to those that have been Outstanding Customers!!?!?!

member for 14.4 years, 2352 visits, last login: a few hours ago