AT&T Midwest page on DSLReports

Review by boomer981 See Profile

• Location: Mooresville,Morgan,IN
Good "Easy installation"
Bad "Goes down about every two weeks, necessitating a phone call to repair"
Overall "Not reliable."

We used to have AT&T DSL and it was reliable. We recently switched to Uverse for faster speeds. The service has gone down multiple times, and we've had multiple service calls. They've replaced the AT&T box and wiring on the house, replaced the wiring going into the house, replaced the jack and wiring inside the house, and it still goes down frequently. We've got our fourth service call scheduled for tomorrow. For some reason it seems to go down when it rains.

We live in a technological black hole where only AT&T and New Wave Communications are available. If this service call doesn't fix it, I will be trying New Wave.

member for 12.6 years, 2801 visits, last login: 169 days ago

Comments:

David
Granite City, IL

You still working on this?

We can help.. let me know.

Review by breese See Profile

• Location: Arlington Heights,Cook,IL
Good "Extremely reliable over the years"
Bad "With every update comes more problems"
Overall "No U-Verse after Years, Yahoo Mail Now Sucks... No One Is Listening"

I have had Ameritech / SBC DSL since it first became available in Arlington Heights (I think 1998).

I continue to WAIT for U-Verse Cable.... No one from ATT responds to customer requests to finish area upgrade.

New Yahoo Mail and built in Messanger has become the WORST Internet Mail System. Last round of updates has continues timeouts, Options Menu poping up for no reasion, effects all acounts....

As I have said for some years now.... No One Is Listening!!!!
Will someone there listen to those that have been Outstanding Customers!!?!?!

member for 13.9 years, 2239 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by maubs See Profile

• Location: Farmington,Fulton,IL
Good "Consistent connection. Usually better than 5Mb on 6Mb connection."
Bad "Have to order a landline to get better than 768k. Capped at 150GB."
Overall "All there is, out in the boonies."

I'm routinely charged overages with a 150GB cap. No other options for broadband in my area. Overages wouldn't be enforced on this connection if there were competition.
It should not be legal to restrict higher speeds to telephone subscribers only.

member for 4.1 years, 1254 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

The Dord
Gamecenter CX
join:2005-01-06
Belleville, MI

I know how it is.

I feel ya man. It's the same way here (not much in the boonies). Near zero options.
»twitter.com/The_Dord -- Twitter Account

Review by Toadman See Profile

• Location: Ex Ohioan
Good "Cost (if it did work)"
Bad "800kbps, 40ms pings, $69 for modem, $49 for Install, no support, 12 month savings turned into 6 months"
Overall "Thank God I didn't cancel Charter"

I live in Hamburg Township, and through Directv I was offered a 1 year $29.99 offer and $10.00 a month savings off my Directv bill, nobody else around me had dsl so I thought nah I don't qualify, but why not give it a chance to see what happens. I was promised 3.0 M download speeds, so I placed the order, including having to pay for the modem and install. This is a dryloop install.

Followup from att was good, install went quickly, but I couldn't get the modem to sync. The gentleman who "turned on" the system did leave me a voice mail so I called him back and he swung over and in about 10 minutes I had sync.

30 minutes going through setup pages and installing software, I was up and running. For the next two days was miserable. pings were around 40-50ms, and my top speed on average was 850kbps to 1.5mbps. Nowhere near the advertised speeds. The delays made my viatalk phone unusable and netflix very unresponsive. I tried tech support both saturday and sunday and could not get through. On monday I cancelled and it was pretty pain free. I don't have time to mess around, I need something that works, day one. I guess I got a bit spoiled by Charter and averaging around 24 mbps. Thank god I didn't cancel that account so all I did was plug back in the cable modem and back to happy. Yeah I am paying $52 a month and Charter never negotiates now (don't get me started) but you pay for the quality, and I guess Charter did figure that one out.

The other iritation was that I got the details on my service and it says 6 months, not 1 year.

Comments:

dslfyi

@reliablehosting.com

there is no 'promised' speed

when it comes to DSL, the way they word it is "up to" 3.0. there is no promised 3.0.

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19

Re: there is no 'promised' speed

Some people drive Vw's and some Lamborghini's.

Review by edporch See Profile

• Location: Fishers,Hamilton,IN
Good "My local ISP who used AT&T was great"
Bad "AT&T is letting DSL infrastructure die on the vine..."
Overall "Don't use AT&T DSL without considering other alternatives"

I've had AT&T DSL through a local ISP for about 10 years in Fishers, IN (borders Indianapolis, IN).
I had the 6Mb/768Kb speed.
My local ISP was GREAT and did EVERYTHING they could to serve me within the confines of AT&T's maintaining their DSL infrastructure.
In that time, I never had reliable speeds due to phone lines that never stayed repaired for more than a few weeks at a time.

When the phone line was repaired, I saw the tech test it to be capable of 8Mb+ speed, and I would get tested speeds of 5.1Mb/510Kb on my computer.
But within a few weeks, the speed would commonly be back down to 1.5-3Mb/400-510Kb.
When I would report the trouble, my local ISP would start a Trouble Ticket with AT&T and the tech would ALWAYS find trouble somewhere in AT&T's infrastructure.

In the last 2-3 years, AT&T began responding to Trouble Tickets my ISP started, and deny their was any trouble with a line that CLEARLY had problems, then bill my ISP approx $120 for "wasting" their time.
This caused my local ISP to be afraid to generate Trouble Tickets with AT&T.
So in that time, my DSL usually ran slow, reconnected often and AT&T repeatedly kept lying about my troubled line.

I finally got fed up and yesterday had Comcast Business Class installed on 12/6/2011, and my web and mail server couldn't be happier.

In conclusion, my local ISP was GREAT, and did the best they could.
But AT&T's apparent policy of letting their DSL service die on the vine was the problem.

UPDATE 5/1/2013:
I've continued using Comcast Business Class Internet and it was been great!
I couldn't be happier!

Comments:

OSUGoose

Question

Did you try contacting your local or state PUC (Public Utiity Commission)?

Re: Question

That's a good idea that I didn't do.
But I figure with the power of AT&T behind the decision to not properly maintain my phone line, and even to go as far as LYING about it having issues (PROVEN issues), it would've been a constant fight.
AT&T already had my ISP afraid to generate any Trouble Tickets.

YET at the same time, if I tried to start DSL service directly with AT&T, they INSISTED that DSL wasn't available at my location.

Anyway, Comcast Business Class better is able to suit my needs, with a bottom end speed class that's already many times what AT&T offered. (even when it worked)

Re: Question

Still wouldent be bad if ya still filed a complaint still, never know when a PUC or AG is waiting for that next complaint to finish off a case against AT&T.

Re: Question

I agree with you in theory.
But if I did this, my former ISP would have to be dragged into this, because they are the ones who are dealing with AT&T.

AT&T already had them afraid to start Trouble Tickets with my account.
If my former ISP got involved in this, AT&T would likely make MORE trouble for them.

I think it's best to do what I did here.
Let people know what they're in for if they get DSL in my area.

Being that Comcast Business Class is available too, they can make their choice.

said by edporch:

I agree with you in theory.

AT&T already had them afraid to start Trouble Tickets with my account.

I think it's best to do what I did here.
Let people know what they're in for if they get DSL in my area.

Being that Comcast Business Class is available too, they can make their choice.

Why would your local ISP be involved? Your complaint is with AT&T and failing to meet FCC standards to unbundling the local copper loop, AT&T is known for dragging its feet when a 3rd party is using their copper.

Re: Question

My local ISP would be involved because I had no contractual arrangement for my DSL with AT&T.

My only contractual arrangement with AT&T was for them to provide me voice land line service, which they did.

The only contractual obligation AT&T had directly with me was to provide a line that I could make and receive voice communication.

Things even degraded to the point that my ISP would have no choice but to suggest that I call AT&T and tell them I have static on my voice line.
And of course when I did this, AT&T would simply say they hear no static and my voice line is OK.
Then nothing would get done.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

So write a review on Comcast.

Don't bump an two year old review with information that has nothing to do with the review.

Fishers, IN

Re: So write a review on Comcast.

Sorry.
It IS relevant that my change of providers mentioned in the INITIAL review had been backed up by time to be the correct choice.
That's why I did the followup.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Re: So write a review on Comcast.

Nope. Just makes you look like a shill for comcast.

Review by eak See Profile

• Location: Clarkston,Oakland,MI
Good "They service Michigan as a monopolistic entity. Funhouse RULES!"
Bad "And the more you bend over, the better they service you. what uverse?"
Overall "SBC/Ameritech/ATT funhouse ROCKS! Tier1 phone support sucks rocks."

Update 27/Feb/2013 - What happened?

About 3 months after I went live on uVerse DSL I was upgraded to 24Mbit down/3Mbit up under a "promotion". I ran speed tests and I was in fact getting that speed. Had intermittent line problems this morning and logged into my modem for the first time in a long time and now Im at 12Mbit down/1Mbit up (even through "Max" is supposed to be 12Mbit down, 1.5Mbit up) and what Im ACTUALLY set for is 11,996Kbps down / 1024Kbps up.Spent an hour on the phone with tier 1 who wants to roll a truck when the problem is obviously either at the VRAD or in the C/O but of course they won't admit it.

I am so sick of telco selling one thing, delivering another and making changes without notifying you. Oh yeah, and they just raised my cost $5.00/mo.

Update 04/Jan/2012 - Welcome back ATT & Dish

Well, Comcast sucks. 54 outages in 32 days. Couldn't take it any more some I am back in ATT hell. At least the uVerse DSL install went smoothly. 3 days from order to install and I have a new wireless DSL router for "coming back to ATT".

Update 16/October/2010 - Hasta La Vista, ATT!

I have been a member of the Midwest forum almost since this site started.

I had to FIGHT and I mean FIGHT to get DSL in my new home. It took getting VP's involved and getting two linemen who were removing loads from my circuit fired to get it.

I have been pushing and prodding for uVerse since I found out it got installed in my CO. I have watched vRad being deployed all around us including runs that had to pass by our sub dmarq and still no uVerse.

About 5 weeks ago I was finally told uVerse was available but when I went to order it, all I could get was uVerse DSL. No TV. Yippe. The exact same DSL speed I already had for $5 less a month.

I just found out Dish (which I got through ATT) dropped Fox Sports Detroit so no more Red Wings games. On 01/Nov we will also lose the local Fox affiliate (which means no American Idol and all the other shows my wife and kids love to watch).

So I called ATT on Friday and I said you have 2 choices. Give me uVerse TV by 01/November or I will no longer use ATT phone, DSL or Dish network. They told me there is nothing they could do. The service person "tried" to get me qualified without success.

So I hung up the phone and I got Comcast with 3X my "uVerse DSL" service speed, more channels and unlimited local and long distance calling for about $80.00/month less than I was paying for all of those services from ATT.

I really don't want Comcast. I hate Comcast. And NO I don't want Direct TV, either. So, so long and thanks for all the bad memories.

Hasta la Vista, ATT!

Update 02/March.2010

I have been trying to get uVerse here for well over 2 years. I continue to see degradation in the performance of my DSL line and Im tired of piss poor upstream bandwidth.

A recently made friend who is a digital line guy for Ameritech investigated and confirmed that I STILL can't get uverse out of the C/O that is literally 1100 linear feet and 2200 cable feet from the dmarq for my sub, 600' cable from my house that has a VRAD sitting out by the street. Go figure.

But he also told me something that just PISSES me off. They now show me as >10,000 cable feet from the C/O, last measured in Nov 2008 at under 6000 cable feet which means they have AGAIN put loads on the circuit either between me and the sub dmarq or between our dmarq and the C/O.

I HATE AMERITECH! I swear if I didn't despise Comcast cable even more I would completely dump everything Ameritech in my home.

I guess I get to go waste even more of my valuable time, probably getting in touch with VP's of customer service AGAIN, demanding a Class A on my line AGAIN all to force Ameritech to just give me the damn service I pay for and to quit screwing with my lines.

Update 24/Nov/2009 3:00PM

I have had uverse available out of my CO (PNTCMINR) for almost 2 years. I am 2135 feet from said CO that has had a VRAD for more than a year with a spinning power meter on it to my sub dmarq and 600 feet from the dmarq to my home

And yet I still can't get uverse. For more than 2 years I have been going to the uverse site, checking availability, filling out the little email/phone number/name questionnaire and faithfully checking the little box "contact me to see how I can help get ATT Uverse in my neighborhood".

No calls. No email. No responses. No service. I obviously have had no problem paying out the wazoo for overpriced Elite DSL service. I also am experiencing the monthly rape called AT&T landline service, I am an AT&T cellphone user and I have Yahoo Dish Network service for my TV.

Obviously, I give ATT too much money for them to consider me a good candidate for their best service. Im sick of the crappy 6Mbit DSL service so I guess its time to switch to Comcast. Ill make sure I take the 20-30 neighbors who asked for help setting up their DSL, wireless and Dish receivers when I tell them to switch with me to Comcast. At least then we will all get faster Internet access. And I guess if I am to believe the Comcast ads, they have a higher quality HD picture and I can dump my AT&T land lines and get Vonage.

If there is anyone with an AT&T uVerse clue that can help me part the sea of cluelessness and actually get uVerse spun up, I am intersted but come Jan 1st, if I don't have uVerse, Im going to say goodbye to ATT DSL, ATT phone and the Dish.

I will make sure I add all of this to my AT&T review as well. It won't make it much worse than it already is but Ill make sure I drop my stars down to 1 just to make a point.

Update 04/Nov/2008 3:005PM

Tom the cable tech came onsite. He ended up replacing my pair to the CO. He is still measuring the cable distance at over 6000 feet. Yes, to the CO 1/4 of a mile away. Over 1 mile. Something is still wrong but Tom is either too clueless or believes that playing stupid would placate me enough to let him feel like he had finished his job and there were no further problems. My line is still only testing to a max speed of ~8Mbit (it has always tested to ~10Mbit) but this is better that the 5 IP addresses (because I host servers) but such is life in Ameritech/SBC/ATT land. I get a TON of marketing garbage every week asking me if I want cheaper DSL (they never advertise cheaper rates for static IP packages), convert from cable to their digital TV service (a partnership with Dish network, and Ive been a Dish subscriber for 6 years) and switch to AT&T cellular (my wife has been a Cingular, now AT&T customer for 5 years) but I guess Ill just let them continue to waste their marketing dollars.

The Funhouse forum is still the best reason to join this website and its the one thing that I can say has kept me being a DSL customer. The moment I can eliminate them from my home for higher bi-directional speed, I will be gone. Their monopoly on my C/O and the state of Michigan will probably prevent that from happening before my 4yr old graduates from high school.

Updated December 25, 2005

I would like to publicly state that BeachBoy, Toaster and (Bill) ROCK! They actually had my line up to correct speed within 5 minutes of me posting. We ran into a few snags caused by me removing voice mail off my DSL line last week but BeachBoy and Bill went WAY above and beyond the call of duty. Both stayed 2 hours beyond the end of their shift to work the the issue.

Thank you BeachBoy, Bill & Toaster! You make me more than thankful this forum is here every time I have ever had an issue! This forum is the reason I am still an SBC customer and it is the only reason I give SBC support 2 HUGE thumbs up!

Thanks!

Updated 05November 2004 -

Had a speed related issue. Solved in minutes by Beach Boy!

Updated 16March2004 - BeachBoy ROCKS! My current tech support rating is based COMPLETELY upon the guys participating in the SBC forum online. Without them, it would be a 1! Needed my password reset. Done in a flash. Needed my speed cap checked. It had been set back to 4Mbit instead of 6Mbit. Reset and working beautifully. THANK YOU!

Updated 16March2004 - BeachBoy ROCKS! My current tech support rating is based COMPLETELY upon the guys participating in the SBC forum online. Without them, it would be a 1! I ordered the Expoert+S upgrade for my DSL line and was having problems getting the expected speed levels out of it. I would post his real name here but I don't think I should. This man is another BIG reason why I am still an SBC DSL customer. Thanks!

Updated 03/01/2004 - MAXO ROCKS! Noon on a Sunday and he helped me try to track down a problem with my sister-in-laws ADSL in Sterling Heights, MI. Now I just wish that there was an online interface to SBIS so that I could request that they reset her Radius session without having to wade through phone hell. This support forum is THE BEST! SBC phone support still sucks rocks. When my s-i-l called up support they told her to go talk to a video game manufacturer about why her DSL wouldn't let her surf. Ill be tracking down that person today to have them reprimanded.

Updated 12Dec2003 - ADSLguy ROCKS! Noticed my bill was reporting that I had Expert/S package but I should only be on Deluxe/S. Sent IM to ADSLguy. He called ME! Asked for confirmation. Called me back 20 minutes later and everything is cool. Just ran speed test: 1286/321. Ive said this before. The online support you get from the Funhouse forum is the best thing that has ever happened to SBC/Ameritech data service. They have again impressed me with their courtesy, prompt follow through and professionalism. They should get a bonus for every good review they get for SBC. THANKS!

Updated 12Oct2003 - If the SBC support forum was offered any place other than DSLReports I would never come back here.

Updated 23Sep2003 Well, I have been VERY happy with SBC. Their front line phone support has been more than a bit of a let down but the support here in the Ameritech/SBC forums is, in a word INCREDIBLE!. I recently split my business line with lineshare ADSL with static IPs off to their own bill. What a circus! The business rep said it was a no brainer. I wouldnt see any downtime or outage. In actuality they canceled my DSL and phone line, assigned a new phone number to me and I was down for 2 days before I could get it all straightened out. In the process I think I got a front line phone support contractor fired for lying to me but its all in a days work. Im upping my view of tech support to 4/5 ONLY because of the support forum here. I pity anyone who has to call in for support.

Updated 21Jan2003 Ameritech is now SBC.

Updated 13Jan2003 0:00:00AM - trying to get it listed as my ISP

On Dec 27 2002 I placed my order to upgrade my 768/160 to 1500/256. The order process went relatively smooth. Due date was 06Jan2003, which came and went. On 07Jan SBC maintenance reported the upgrade as complete but it was not. ADSLguy in the Ameritech tech support forum confirmed that there was an error in the redback profile which still had me capped at 768/160. It took until Thursday night and almost 8 hours on the phone to get an ASI tech through the tech support line to uncap me. Unfortunately another ASI tech re-capped me Friday morning because my business profile hadn't been properly updated by the business office. 8 more hours over 3 more days, 5 - 1st line techs, 3 supervisors, 2 managers, 5 ASI techs, 3 maintenance techs, 4 billing reps, 2 escalation techs, a call to corporate with a demand for an executive appeal and 3 calls with the escalation engineer didn't accomplish what 3 IM's to ADSLguy accomplished in 1 day. I can't say enough about how awesome his support and the other Ameritech personnel in the Ameritech forum has been.

If:

1) Any other DSL provider in my CO offered service

and

2) Ameritech didn't require you to have a phone line from them on the pair with your DSL line, even though its business class service with static IP's

and

3) if ANY other telephone company offered local service to me

then I would dump Ameritech in a heartbeat and take every person I know with me. However, Im saying that without the choice nor the experience of actually using any company but Ameritech in Michigan since they still pretty much have the monipoly on service here.

I believe it is robbery that I have to pay $80.00 a month for 1.5Mb/256Kb PLUS $25.00 for a voice line to get a static IP address with 256Kbit upstream bandwidth. Its not like they couldn't put a 1 year checkout on the DHCP for my router. It doesn't take any more engineering to set up a static IP than for a dynamic IP. You can get the exact same speed with a dynamic IP for $49.00 but then theres still that voice line charge.

Tech support is a MAJOR problem for Ameritech. Most of the front line has been outsourced to at least 2 companies who have limited access to the people who can actually do the work. Also, SBC is going through some significant growing pains as it integrates the DSL networks of the other telco's it has purchased. To top it off, they consider the wiring side and the data side two completely seperate companies. THis can cause more than a few headaches when you have wiring related problem which is causing you dificulty with the data circuit.

Overall, the stability of the circuit at 768/160 has been pretty much flawless in the last 18 months which is probably better than what you can say about any other provider. You are taking your life into your own hands if you should ever decide to make a change to either the voice or data side and be prepared wait for a long time to get anything done with painfully long hold times with tech support and thats if you actually know what to ask for and you aren't afraid to ask for managers. You will be far better off using the Ameritech support forum.

If I can answer any questions, don't be afraid to ask.

And when you believe you just can't fight any more, remember the following phrase:

I DEMAND AN EXECUTIVE APPEAL.

You will need to get to the corporate offices to get it but it can work miracles.

EAK.

Update 21June2001 - the key to getting things done when you are at your wits end is to contact the Executive Appeals organization, demand an executive appeal and demand an executive complaint number when you file it. 5 weeks after contacting the Executive compaint organization, I now have DSL.

===============Initial order detail===========================

I placed my order for voice service 6 weeks ago, at the direction of Ameritech Team Data, specifically so that I could have DSL active when I move into my new home next week. I work from home and I MUST have connectivity to do my job.

They assigned me a 248-393-XXXX number which is serviced by the PNTCMINR

»/coinfo/clli/PNTCMINR CO at 3556 Walton, right at the corner of Baldwin and Waldon. This is so close to my house that, if it weren't for trees, I could see it. It is less than 2000 feet. Instead of setting up my lines to be serviced by that CO, they instead set me up to be serviced by the Independance township CO, PNTCMINE(D?) »/coinfo/clli/PNTCMINE

at 3385 PONTIAC RD and now they tell me I am (of course) too far from the CO (>14000 feet) and that they won't create a DSL order for me.

I have spent >4 hours on the phone and Ameritech is telling me that they can get my line changed so that it will be serviced by the correct CO so Im crossing my fingers.

I really REALLY do NOT like dealing with Ameritech.

Eric.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Help

@sbc.com

Your U-verse problem

If you want to get faster help, I have two suggestions:

Post in the AT&T Midwest direct forum on this site. More than likely, a technician will get actual help arranged for you.

Secondly, when contacting U-verse technical support, here's a helpful tip:

Immediately upon being greeted, ask to speak to Tier 2. In most cases, you'll get no argument about being transferred, or else you will be asked simply for your account number prior to transfer. If a Tier 1 agent says "well maybe I can help" or "I need to know the problem before I transfer you", politely repeat your request to be transferred to tier 2.

Their job is to transfer you to Tier 2 immediately upon request. Most of the time, that's exactly what happens. The help is from individuals that aren't reading from a "reset your router" script or "run the AT&T speed test that uses AT&T servers" script.

A truck roll may honestly be what you need, but if the technician doesn't have some kind of pooled data that is associated with the type of monitoring that tier 2 can do over the course of a couple of days, he may not really have enough information to fix your problem, even after 2 or 3 trips that are all repeat attempts to fix the same problem.

Review by jmmilner2 See Profile

• Location: Yorkville,Kendall,IL
Good "Cheaper than cable if you don't need much bandwidth"
Bad "Support slightly dumber than a box of rocks"
Overall "Expect to be your own tech support"

Over the years I've used dialup (once upon a time that was the best available), WOW, Comcast, and now AT&T DSL. I'd still be using WOW for both internet and TV if they provided service in my current location. At my current location I can get Comcast, AT&T DSL, and perhaps U-Verse (effective this month per a letter I just got). I'm out of range for Clear.

While I started with Comcast, I downgraded to AT&T DSL as the economy when south in 2008. Service was OK at 3.0Mbps (closer to 2.4Mbps actual) as I don't stream videos and can wait for the occasional multi-gigabyte Microsoft betas to download. However, when the service goes south, dealing with tech support is a exercise in futility.

The most recent two outages, which occurred two days in a row, where due to facilities issues between my area and the local (Elmhurst) PPP servers. Both times the India-based support people, limited by the scripts they are required to follow, ran me around changing DSL passwords (twice each time) which didn't change the fact that my DSLAM wasn't connecting to the PPP server (as clearly indicated in the modem's tech readouts). The first tech finally gave up and wrote a ticket which was later attached to the facilities outage ticket. The second tech, apparently more sure of herself, insisted the problem was confined to my line but eventually wrote a ticket. I finally got connected to a U.S. based facilities management group after the second outage and they were able to confirm that both outages where in fact "group" (I call them area) outages - which was no surprise to me as the other IT guy in town and I were both buried both days by customers without DSL service. Even those customers with business class service got the same runaround.

At the moment I'd very reluctant to recommend AT&T DSL to the small businesses I support, especially if they don't have any backup alternate. Any notion I might have had of trying U-Verse for CATV is right out the window and I'm left with the sorry "choice" of returning to Comcast for internet and going to DirecTv for video.

Comments:

David
Granite City, IL

you can always post in the direct forum

You can always post in the direct forum if you wish. No Tier 1 script kiddies needed. Most we may ask you to do is confirm it with a different modem, but if 2 modems give the same results I would start checking internally.

Re: you can always post in the direct forum

Lost all service last week for 30 hours but I doubt you could have helped - new builder in my subdivision got some lots very cheap and started digging. On his second lot he pulled up a 100 pair cable in a lot between two homes that my builder didn't have any trouble with. AT&T insisted it was a problem with just my line, that they would have to dispatch to test my loop, while all my neighbors got the same run-around.

I gave AT&T the lot number and street address of the cable cut within a hour of the cut (11:00 am) but they didn't even roll a truck till the next day.

What Lily Tomlin said many years ago remains true to this day: "We don't care. We don't have to. We're the Phone Company."

Re: you can always post in the direct forum

If you have all of that send that to me. typically I can track down who that is within a few hours.

Re: you can always post in the direct forum

Service in back but slower than ever. When from 2.4Mb to less than 2.0Mb (and once 600Kb) after the feeder cable was spliced back together. While my modem (Speedstream 4100 this week) claims my maximum download bandwidth (possible, not provisioned) was 9Mb before the cut and is now 8Mb, I'd expect the DSLAM could reshuffle the bits per bin and still make good on the old speed. I can swap out modems as I have Motorola 2210s on hand but I'm thinking it won't help.

Re: you can always post in the direct forum

Another day, another cable cut, another speed drop. This time AT&T just moved me to another pair as the cable wasn't completely cut. While this did get me back up in hours instead of days, I'm now getting 1.0Mb downloads, half of what I got after the last cut and only 1/3 of what I'm paying for. Between the new construction in my neighborhood, the road work in my town, and AT&T's "let it rot" approach to copper loops, I don't expect the outside plant will ever improve. The tech did say that the U-Verse customers on the same 100 pair cable I'm on will really suffer since the bonding (grounding) of the cable is shot. At least with the drought, I won't have to worry about wet pairs till next spring, assuming I don't punt AT&T.

Granite City, IL
what construction is going on? if I may ask.

Re: you can always post in the direct forum

Update - so far the approved AT&T repair for the now bare 100 pair cable is a wooden pallet over the hole.

Construction summary:
1) new homes in my formerly mothballed subdivision
2) widening rt 47 to four lanes through Yorkville to Sugar Grove - so far most of the utility polls have be moved, the gas main moved, and business signs relocated - actual road work is "any day"
3) new high pressure gas main along rt 34 from Plano to Yorkville (so far)

Review by spawn46375 See Profile

• Location: Schererville,Lake,IN
  • Telco party Ameritech
Good "good points? whats that? oh yea i do now have what im paying for"
Bad "you name it its wrong"
Overall "they couldnt run a candy store"

still one big joke with most support other then ASI
teleco seems the be one of the largest parts of the pie

order nightmare they lie out theyre arse to get you to order!!
the say they allow servers but in the tos it says no so what is it?
im heading to the zoo to talk to some baboons to see if they work for the sales office!!!

install nightmare!!!
didnt have sync till 2 days after my due date! load coil!
even after that they messed up my email!
most of the techs are moronic and thats being nice!!
stuck at 384/128 for 21 days and they wanted to argue about it
didnt get to tier 2 support till i threatened a lawsuit!
and even then they still didnt fix it! it would still be that way if it wasnt for the ppl on here!
one dns server is still down ive told them a few times they never told me what the mail servers address was

after all the crap it now works from what seems to be good but was it worth the work i had to do to get it to work? they couldnt do it and its theyre job!!!

BOTTOM OF THE LINE move as far away from ameritech as you can i hear BT is good in the UK maybe we should all move there lol

UPDATE: im at 768/128 like i had to fight to be. i called asi and got it fixed myself.
it works well other then the 2 times i was capped for no reason after i was uncapped. distance isnt the issue and wasnt the issue ever. well so far its been ok other then that and unstable ping times from time to time(not between me and redback its isp issues) i will still not up my rating because they deserve what they got and still do. not all the techs are bad but alot are. and they contiune with crap with 2 other people i know and the distance isnt the issue there either.

UPDATE: upped tech support to reflect the techs that frequent this forum and those few good ones out there.

UPDATE: still the same old crappy speed its funny how companies dont have to maintain lines, still no upgrades of anykind other than moving boxes and poor workmanship on the teleco side of this its always nice when the insulation is falling off the wires on the teleco side, but i guess it works still somewhat not due to anything with sbc atech, thanks to the techs asi for all the help i got its bad when a hand full of techs even know wtf is going on or care about it when you have a large very heavily outsourced company with undermaned line techs on the teleco side. especially in a heavily populated area

UPDATE: still the same old crappy speeds no network updates around here! this is even after 8 years! gee i wish i could start something and never maintain it at all ever after all this time!

member for 13.1 years, 359 visits, last login: 2.2 years ago

Comments:
jlibuszowski
join:2005-10-25
Hoffman Estates, IL

DSL still not widely available in Indiana?

Wait? I thought AT&T had/was investing all this money into rural internet?

»transition.fcc.gov/ATT_FINALMerg···2-28.pdf

See section: Promoting Accessibility of Broadband Service
[Within six months of the Merger Closing Date, and continuing for at least 30 months from the inception of the offer, AT&T/BellSouth will offer to retail consumers in the Wireline Buildout Area, who have not previously subscribed to AT&T's or BellSouth's ADSL service, a broadband Internet access service at a speed of up to 768 Kbps]

This was 2006! Almost five years later, you are telling me in Indiana you cannot get high speed internet? Frankly Sir I am shocked that SBC/AT&T would lie to the US consumers and regulatory oversight committee: D

As part of their merger concessions when SBC was granted approval to merge with Bellsouth and then later renamed to AT&T or something like that... Yet, I am a little dumbfounded here . Then their head of regulatory and Legal Jim Cicconi

»www.att.com/gen/investor-relations?pid=7818

made mention to the same great enhancements that were to come if the FCC and US Department of Justice would approve their merger with AT&T and Tmobile.

Hmm... Thank god that the antitrust division of the DOJ wasn't able to convinced by AT&T’s blow hard lobbyists and special interests groups who were previously rewarded with large financial contributions, which just so happened to be in support of the AT&T.T merger. And instead the DOJ’s antitrust department stood their ground!

Review by keason See Profile

• Location: Ann Arbor,Washtenaw,MI
  • Telco party Ameritech
Good "reliability, email relay, good lower speed, cheap on promo"
Bad "slow downs during peak times, limited uverse footprint, caps, slow uploads"
Overall "too slow for HD video, poor value"

·Comcast Business..

Update 10-10-10

Connection slows down, on average, to 1Mb during peak times and latency doubles. That's are little better than a cell card. Latency jumps from about 30ms to as high as 125ms during these times.

Connection is no longer consistently usable for many purposes. It still works OK for email, vpn, and VoIP, but is too slow for video and most high bandwidth uses.

After 10 calls and 10 hours on the phone, they finally switched me to a new redback and fixed the problem.

update 10-2-11
ATT raised pricing from $20 to $43. Along with the caps, DSL is obsolete, Uverse still not available for me. Disconnected and went to Comcast business.

Comments:

Review by InvalidGamer See Profile

• Location: Sacramento,Sacramento,CA
Good "Easy setup, support is usually there"
Bad "Connection lost every 40-80 seconds and reconnection takes 30 seconds [tested]"
Overall "Not worth any of your money in the Sacramento Area"

AT&T Elite, is a "fast" service that has many lies behind all the words said on commercial for our area. The announced 5MB/S is actually 500 KB/s, with a 30 second down time every 40-90 seconds, in other words you cannot even connect to the internet without the internet being down. We have had technician after technician come in and they just upgrade our internet or just take away the cost of our bill [completely free for the whole month]. I mean it is nice, but I'd rather pay full price for something that would work and I could actually use for at least 1 hour and a 5 hour disconnect. This internet service is obviously not for hardcore gamers or people who are hosting servers for other purposes or businesses that would like to even hold internet. AT&T is bottom line not worth the money in the South Sacramento area.

AT&T clearly stated on the phone. This would be easier if you had AT&T cable which is why it is cheaper to have AT&T cable with AT&T internet. Which we said we would rather have Direct TV because it is more cheaper and efficient as we don't use the Cable as much as other American's do.