Internet Connect Services, Inc. (ICS) page on DSLReports

Review by Griz6574 See Profile

• Location: Missoula,Missoula,MT
Good "When it works its great. Good Tech Support"
Bad "High priced for the speed, speed is not consistent from day to day"
Overall "Good alternative in outlying areas where dsl is not available"

I've had the wireless from ICS for about 10 months now and its definitely better than dial up, however, the download and upload speeds are erratic. I have 256 and some days I can download at 300 other days its slower than dial up and these speed problems happen 2 or 3 times a week. It is rare to have no connection but at times the speed is so slow pages time out. I did go for a couple of months without a problem but the problems have been consistent for about 2 months now. I call, the problem seems to get fixed and a couple of days later its back. The prices are rather high for the speed you get, for $30 a month you can get 1.5Mbps DSL if you live in a hub area. It is a much better alternative than sattelite if no other broadband is available.

Comments:

Review by clanda See Profile

• Location: Missoula,Missoula,MT
Good "They know their stuff, obviously a seasoned staff."
Bad "No complaints."
Overall "Nothing like a local provider!"

I just recently moved to the Bitterroot Valley south of Missoula. My options were dial-up Bresnan cable (gag) or wireless from ICS.

The wireless service has been rock solid, even though I'm 30 miles from town. The install took only 30 minutes. The ICS spam trapper and virus trapper are second to none... I was plesantly surprised at the sophistication of the products developed by them and even more surprised by their portal!

Keep up the good work guys!

Comments:

Review by scotty264 See Profile

• Location: Missoula,Missoula,MT
Good "Service used to be great."
Bad "inconsistent service, irresponsible tech support attitudes"
Overall "This company has fully forgotten that the customer matters"

$49.99/month for 384K wireless that runs at an average of 100K. $150.00 installation and hardware purchase. Static IP, Vyyo wireless hardware on proprietary bandwidth. Only 6 miles line of sight from ISP tower.

I have had a history of over 10 years working with ICS. In fact my parents initially signed up for their dial-up service when the 14400-baud modem was the hottest technology available. We have had great luck with their services up until JS Corp got involved in the picture. I'm not sure of the full details on the acquisition, or relation, but simply noticed a degradation of service, in all aspects. Customer services seems to have no communication with technical support, as every time I've had problems with the services, I have been told not to talk to tech support about reimbursement or how much I am paying monthly. I have gotten very different stories and opinions from all staff members and conflicting interests. I have several customers that use ICS Wireless Internet service. When I contacted tech support during an outage I was told that I was a single instance, and no other customers were having issues. When I contacted my clients, I would find that they too were experiencing the very same problems, and were told the same thing on the phone. When I talk to tech support, I wade through the BS and make sure they get to the point. I was told that there was nothing they could do, so I was to wait without Internet service for 48-72 hours. I called each day telling them that the services was still inoperable, and eventually they admitted that they were having problems with all of their subscribers, but that they were scrambling to replace modems that were connecting to another cell. They came and tried to replace my modem, with no success, because "they must have been programmed incorrectly, as they were in a hurry". So I ended up wasting my time with the service call, since he left me with my original, troubled modem. This is completely unacceptable, and irresponsible. My clients, having less technical knowledge, were told that there was nothing that could be done, and the time frame for fixing the problem was unknown, being based on a support team from Denver making it up to Missoula to fix the system. This all occurred between December 2004 and January 2005. Well, I am witting this today, February 11th, 2005 because of continued frustration since January. For the last 2 months, I've experienced times of good service, in between weeks of mediocre to unusable service. I was told on the phone yesterday to record a log of my service problems, and e-mail it to the company, so they can "prove" to the wireless equipment provider that there are continued problems with their system. This got me to the point of ultimate frustration. Making customers prove that they are experiencing problems, so they can negotiate with hardware vendors. I would have switched to another service provider in December if there were any others available, but for some reason, the tel co box in my area has been neglected for DSL upgrades, and a lawsuit between the land owner and Bresnan Cable, prevents their service from being available, so I am left with expensive wireless access. Every time I call tech support and they find out I am on their wireless service, they ask "can you get DSL service?" as if they don't even want to face the problems they are causing. I would have upgraded to their 1Mb connection for a cost of 99.00/month if I thought it wouldn't be so unreliable. So, take my words as a warning, ICS is currently a troubled company, without any plan for backup, or customer relations, during times of service problems. I hope this reaches some open ears, as to the frustrations I've experienced, and key areas to focus on in order to improve customer friendliness.