Cactus Computers page on DSLReports

Review by The_Jester See Profile

• Location: Moscow,Latah,ID
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Very fast, for an excellent price"
Overall "Best value on the Palouse"

I have been a Cactus customers off and on for the last three years. In the past they were always fairly reliable, but recently erizon upgraded the CO, and now they are awesome. I am unsure of exactly what they did on the technical side, but I know what it meant to me. First of all the gave of a new modem. We had one of those crappy grey fujitsu modems, and now we have a Westell. Likewise, the connect has never lost sync. Also, and more importantly, when Verizon upgraded we got a free increase in service speed. We went from 768/128 for $17.40 to 3000/768 for the same price. We lost service for about week while they did everything, but it was completely worth it. We get very close to the theoretical speed. I hightly recommend these guys. There office man seem a little unprofessional but they more than make up for it in knowledge and value.

member for 11.9 years, 452 visits, last login: 5.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by dbcool See Profile

• Location: Post Falls,Kootenai,ID
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
  • CLEC party: Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "awsome reliable speeds"
Bad "blocks p2p ports"
Overall "best isp in the area hands down"

i have had cactus for 2 mos now all i can say is it kicks ass.I have 1.5/384 with 5 static ips for 29bux a month and 45 a month to verizon for the circuit.only thinf i see wrong for some ppl is the blocking of p2p apps ,that does not bother me as i dont use p2p. my speeds are a constant 1.2 down and 370-380 up only way i will chane is when Verizon On Line offers service up here this summer cause 30 bux a month is better than 75

Comments:

Review by backburn See Profile

• Location: Hayden,Kootenai,ID
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Fast 70-100k a second anytime, Reliable, First hop pings in the 20's,"
Bad "Email hiccups every once in a while but i think its fixed now."
Overall "Cactus blows Imbris, Icehouse, and Micron outta the water."

I pre oredered DSL in my area before it was even available. After verizon took 2 months to install it i selected Icehouse as my ISP over Micron and Imbris because they offered unlimited IP's and bandwidth. I ordered 2 static Ip's for $10/month for my two servers. After about 6 months download speeds, and my connection was troubled just about every day. Finally i canceled with icehouse and moved to cactus. They had me up and running that day with no intteruption in internet service, all i had to do is supply my DELCI number and I was set. I oredered the 768/128 service and i get at least that speed if not more, consistantly. I get pings in the 20's to first hop and im 3 hops from sprintlink and 5 from exodus.

Cheap, reliable, and fast. Exactly what i wanted.

Thanks cactus!

Comments:

Review by kingseamonke See Profile

• Location: Coppell,Dallas,TX
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Support tries to help me"
Bad "Support is poorly equipped/no Windows 2000 machines for them to troubleshoot with"
Overall "You can try 'em if you don't have Win2K, otherwise keep your distance!"

My ISP isn't listed yet, so I'll be the first to tell you about Covad.net. I was recently with Intetnet Express... another loser ISP. They are getting out of the residential DSL market due to conflicts with Covad. So like an idiot, I switched to Covad.net. This accounts for the short time from order to live. I was already wired and ready to go, but just changing ISP's. I really didn't have any beefs with Covad, just Internet Express, so I figured it was no big deal. And it wouldn't be, except for Covad's PPPoE implementation! I actually got it to work for a few hours and it was smokin'! (About 500K down/160K up, which is about 400K faster than Internet Express) But the rest of the time has been a nightmare. I've had the service for a little over a month. Covad.net claims to support their PPPoE software (Enternet 300) with Windows 2000, but such is not the case. I spent a total of four hours on the phone with support trying to get it to work. They are equipped with "Windows 2000 simulators" which don't appear to act anything like Windows 2000 at all. I've had enough, so I'm going to take my Covad rebate (whenever I get it), pay the $250 to cancel my contract, and go with DirectLink.net. Hopefully I'll be able to add to the many rave reviews of that ISP once I make the switch. Maybe the PPPoE software works well with NT 4.0 and Windows 9x/ME, but not with Windows 2000. I may add to this later, because while I'm waiting for my rebate to get here, I'll be installing NT 4.0 Server back on my gateway machine and using Proxy Server 2.0 to get to my DSL connection. If the Enternet 300 product does, in fact, work well with NT 4.0, then that should solve my speed fix in the interim.

On the plus side, the features provided by Covad.net are nice. You can add/edit/delete your email accounts(up to 5 of 'em) from their web site w/o having to talk to support. That's a handy little feature not available with Internet Express.

So I guess my bottom line is that they don't support my OS of choice. If you have something other than Win2K, they may be okay for you.

member for 14.1 years, 34 visits, last login: 10.8 years ago