CEC Communications page on DSLReports

Review by chucks3 See Profile

• Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
  • CLEC party: Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Service on as soon as I told 'em I was ready, fast. Some speed problems before, but all is well now..."
Bad "None so far."
Overall "Can't rate tech-support, but am VERY happy with everything else thus far."

These guys know their stuff. I've read the other reviews for them (all several months old, before their backbone upgrade), and can't believe they've been bad-mouthed at all. My experience thus far has been super-par. The link is FAST, even for their lowliest service package, BROINZE + (768/128, at $32.50 + $32.50 from telco). Signed a faxed contract, they were ready with my service an hour after the phone co. had me switched on, everything went in like a breeze. Personally, I can't rate their tech-support department, as I have had no need of their services thus far, and don't ever anticipate needing their services - I am a fairly savvy nbetwork adminstrator. However, I can say that when we had trouble getting our service connected at my work (where we also use CEC, also with a linux firewalling gateway), their tech support was responsive and helpful - and, actually, was one of the big-wigs. The problem was determined to be ours, and was fixed shortly after initial contact. The only hesitation I have in reccommending them is for those who want UseNet access and don't want to pay for access to NewsScene or some other similar service - they don't appear to have a news server at all. Of course, I DO pay for third-party news access, so I havn't even bothered to ask 'em.

To sum up: after setting up multiple clients in this area with linux-based firewalling gateway solutions, and having experience with Midwest, CEC, Earthlink, and others, CEC has been my favorite, and a choice I'm glad I made. I got a static IP, and didn't even have to ask - with many other locals, they have you on one of their virtual IPs (a 192.), and it's usually taken me many phone calls and more money to get a "real" IP. And, they're just frekain' fast. Need I say more?

UPDATE:

After initially being happy with my service, I complained here (but not to them) that speeds were not up to what I considered scratch. This went on for a month or two, but I'm now happy to report that I generally get phenominal download speeds, even at what I would consider to be "peak hours". I dunno if they upgraded their backbone, cut off some dialup people, or what, but I have no complaints any more. Now, I'm not a gamer, and havn't bothered to test latency, etc., so I can't speak to that, but from faster servers I get awesome raw transfer rates. They're good guys, and anything I can do to support a startup in So. Il. is great. After some initial doubts, I think I'll stick with 'em.

Comments:

Review by donlaur See Profile

• Location: Carbondale,Jackson,IL
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Support responds to you. Sends email if upgrade. Nice people."
Bad "Overpriced for performance, Promised upgrades but so far no visible improvement. Way too slow. Many 404 errors."
Overall "Some people doing line tests had good reports, mine is not what I was promised when I signed up."

Well,
Where do I start. Cecc.net has good people who respond in a timely manner. Before I signed up I made sure to ask every question and research for six months DSL and their service. Talked to them at a local expo and then later exchanged a few emails with the owner. I expected at least 90% of what I was promised but get only 150kbps or even less on the 768kbps I was told I would get. Not sure yet if blame is to be laid on Verizon or cecc.net. I even talked to someone at cecc.net shortly after it was turned on {and didn't work for the first two days that it was supposed to} to make sure it was a bronse plus and not other package. Their assured me that it was bronse plus.

I know of one other very unsatisfied cecc.net DSL customer.

Verizon is checking my line and will get back to me. I just rated as 30kbps download but earlier was I getting around 135kbps download. I have tweaked all my registry settings and did all that I could to improve it on my end. I have sent a complaint {my fourth time mentioning the poor performance} to cecc.net and I will update to the web and DSL if anything improves.
Basically you can get two phone lines and connect the bandwidth of two 56k modems and get faster speeds than the DSL line.

I have been out of service for 24 hours and this is what caused this report. Verizon was very helpful and even directed me to do a test here on dslreports.com, even though I have been here quite often it was good to hear someone who knew what they was talking about... and at 4am mind you.
She actually sounded like she did all she could by checking the programming and trying out several things until it worked. I am back up {suspect a bad network cable so not cecc.net fault} but it is still as slow as ever. Verizon submitted a trouble ticket and I sent an email to cecc.net so I think that they will do the same to see if they can improve on it. In the past all I heard was that it is Verizon's fault or that an upgrade on cecc.net end was coming up soon. The dates went by with no improvements.

DSL is a good thing but if you are in the Carbondale, IL area I suggest that it might be better to wait for a few years when maybe cable is here or wait until Verizon Online is offered in this area.
But it might never be offered so if you need a provider now I would still say cecc.net as I have hope that they will fix this these problems that have plagued me ever since I started with them including slow and sluggish internet and constant 404 errors. 10% of the webpages need to be reloaded and they get 404 errors. This is too often to be the servers the pages are hosted on and at school I do not get these errors so I am assuming it is the cecc.net network causing these errors in transferring the files.

This month the billing is to change and now I have to pay one bill to Verizon and another to cecc.net. I am not very happy about this.
Overall it saves maybe five bucks but is not very convient as when it used to be one bill to cecc.net.
When verizon online is offered I assume it will be $39 payable online via credit card or bank transfer as that is how I now pay my Verizon phone bill.

I would be happier if cecc.net price was only $50 or if I had better performance for my $63. Right now I am saving a few bucks with a student discount so I believe it to be $70 for non-students but the price scheme might have changed with this split bill thing.

I will update this later and follow through on if Verizon or cecc.net helped me get the speed faster.
I know that many local Southern Illinois people are looking for a solution and in the past I have always offered cecc.net as a great provider to switch to and feel comfortable with.

Hopefully they will come through in my situation and fix the problems of poor performance.

Like I said they are great guys and I hope they will do everything they can to fix the problems.
In the end it might just come down to poor Verizon performance.

Current line speed test with nothing else open but IE to do the test.
Download speeds vary but the upload is ok.

Time (US east) Test Results..
2001-03-21 14:40:51 Speed test 15/117 kbps
2001-03-21 07:41:14 Speed test 254/62 kbps
2001-03-21 07:36:41 Speed test 161/117 kbps
2001-03-21 06:19:26 Speed test 53/114 kbps
2001-03-21 06:16:35 Speed test 30/126 kbps

Update:
Now it is even slower.
I guess I shouldn't have even complained as now it is slower than it was. I think that verizon tried to make it faster and it is now slower. It is about 30kbps download, slower than a dialup.
I have talked to cecc.net and they said to give it a week.
So far no improvement. It must be the routers performance on their end or something.
They are still awaiting the upgrades from October I think.
they explained a little, they are changing some company and trying to make the service better and it is a process with I believe they said four other companies and all are dragging their feet on the scheduling of this upgrade.

member for 14.3 years, 10 visits, last login: 13.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by mossad7 See Profile

• Location: Carbondale,Jackson,IL
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "There are no good points, everything about this company is horrid"
Bad "They don't return your phone calls, and when they do all you get are excuses"
Overall "If your in the carbondale area, look to another ISP, because Cecc is not the one for you"

I hope the this will help someone in making their decision, for being my first dsl exprience, it was a horrid one. I'm now in the process of going to another ISP, hopefully I will be satisfied. The only problem is that now I have to fork over more cash, to see the results of the elustrious DSL service. Bottom line is to stick with your dial-up connection. The Verizon aspect is the only decent member in this sad sad story. Verizon has some of the most qualified people talking to you, that sincerely want to help, but sometimes can't. Good Job Verizon. And to CECC you suck, and I hope that you go out of business, because all of your customers leave.

Comments:

Review by mtc5 See Profile

• Location: Marion,Williamson,IL
Good "Customer Service Oriented."
Bad "Hard to contact them."
Overall "They're okay."

Ordered Platinum +, 1500 down and 768 up, for about 400 monthly. Included is 5 static i.p. addresses. The installation went fine. GTE provided the equipment and it arrived on-time. The speed isn't satisfactory and there is a high amount of latency on the line. It's hard to play on-line games on it because of the ping-time response time. The technical support isn't bad when you can get them on the phone. When you do finally reach them they are very customer service oriented. Having problems between GTE and the ISP trying to figure out what is wrong with the speed and latency issues.

member for 14.4 years, 23 visits, last login: 14.2 years ago