Internet America page on DSLReports

Review by careys See Profile

• Location: The Colony,Denton,TX
Good "Independent"
Bad "Service becoming a trying experience"
Overall "Try another provider"

First, the monthly cost includes my landline, which I pay for solely to support IA's DSL service. It formerly was worth it... Phone $48 + DSL $30 = $78.

Ive been a long time customer and have pretty much had a good experience even through their move away from Dallas (to Houston). They discontinued 24/7 support long ago and the L1 crew now must be reading from a script.

Recently, IA reneged on the free static IP address they gave me as an inducement to purchase their services a long time ago. I was provided more than adequate time to decide whether to keep the static IP and pay them an extra $25/month or to switch to DHCP. After exhausting all avenues with them L2 support finally told me "look, they know they are going to lose customers over this, but you really have no choice. They have switched to a new provider and are 'required' to charge everyone for static IP." OK, I gave in after they shut off my connection a couple of times - which caused me to go through support calls with them which took over 2 hours each.

Not only did I lose my static IP, they also shoved PPPoE onto my service at the same time. The other day, I went to use the internet and had no connection. I scoured my server, my new settings, retrained the DSL modem, and still - nothing. Finally (thinking "no way" they shut it off again), I called them just to eliminate the possibility. After going through the scripts with L1 for about 15 minutes I finally got to L2.

I reached a very patient soul there who told me that "yes, they did make a switch that requires a change in your DSL modem settings". I asked why they didn't let me know first and they blamed it on the "obscure" modem I have (Alcatel 1000). Hmm, I bought it from them when DSL first became available. Admittedly, it is old, but my credo has always been 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. So we went through the process to modify my modem settings and it is back up - for now.

OK, I guess this has been a personal rant, but it irks me. I am switching to a new provider in 3 days. Did I mention that my TCOE is dropping by $43 (no landline required) while at the same time my 1.5/256 is going to 6/768 ? You won't hear any remorse from me. I will review my new provider when I have been on their service long enough to work out the kinks.

See ya Internet America!

Comments:

Review by RonaldOnIA See Profile

• Location: Rosenberg,Fort Bend,TX
Good "It's available in rural areas where there are no other options"
Bad "The reliability (when the connection is active) is bad."
Overall "Not worth the money unless you only check your e-mail and surf the internet."

I've used several other wireless broadband options over a span of about 5 years, and none of them have been very good. The satellite broadband's "fair usage policy" left a sour taste in my mouth due to how restrictive it was. The only option left available was wireless internet by antenna.

I have used Internet America in the Ford Bend, TX, region for almost 2 years now. In the beginning, the service worked great. The speeds were good and there was little to no down time, then there was a storm in the Houston area and they said their network had been damaged, which was about 3 months after I got the service. Since then, it has never been as good.

I use the internet to play online games, which (according to their website) are supported by their service. The problem is, I play World of Warcraft, the most popular online game in the United States and due to lost pings and lag spikes the game is nearly unplayable.

I opened a notepad document and ran a constant ping to google.com (run/cmd -> ping google.com -t) and whenever I would get multiple timeouts in a row, I would go to google, type in a word, and search for it... if there was no response for a few seconds, I would conclude that my internet was experiencing heavy lag (due to some network device timing out because of errors / packet collisions) and I would write down the time in the notepad document. This was the result.

6:37pm
6:50pm
6:52pm
6:55pm
6:56pm

This kind of network connection makes online gaming impossible, because online gaming (though not bandwidth heavy) is very dependant upon a reliable connection. If the connection is broken (even for a few seconds) you are kicked off of the game or your connection has to reestablish itself (which is usually completed 15 - 30 seconds after the connection comes back "up" from a lag spike). So, in effect, my internet service allows me to only keep ~75% uptime while gaming online.

I have contacted Internet America multiple times, and had my problem "escalated to level 2" multiple times with no resolution. For months it was talk of "we're currently upgrading our towers and the Fort Bend tower is on the list" but now when I call they don't have an answer for me. They call it "minor packet loss" but it's pretty significant to me, as it results in about a 25% downtime.

If you enjoy doing any online gaming, or anything that requires an open connection across the internet I would advice against using Internet America's wireless broadband service.

Comments:

Review by hokie69 See Profile

• Location: La Vernia,Wilson,TX
Good "Download Speeds Over 2Mb THEY SAY YOU GAME ONLINE"
Bad "CAN NOT GAME ONLINE. THEY SAY THERE IS NO PROBLEM"
Overall "BEEN A LONG TIME CUSOMTER. THAT IS ABOUT TO CHANGE"

not happy with the service.

*************I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS INTERNET PROVIDER**********

Comments:

Review by jds1900 See Profile

• Location: Fulshear,Fort Bend,TX
Good "none"
Bad "no response, no service"
Overall "need another alternative"

IA bought out the local wifi service. They left a message that we needed to schedule a change over. We called many times but only got a recording. We left messages but never got a response. Then they shut down the old service so now I have no service at all.

I finally got the support department to patch me thru to the person who was not returning my calls. She said it will be a couple of weeks before they can get to me because they are booked up converting other customers. If there are that many customers who are still not hooked up to the system then clearly they should not have shut down the old system yet.

This is the worse service I have seen anywhere. We don't have an alternative at this time, but I will be very receptive to getting rid of these bums as soon as someone else offers service in my area.

DO NOT USE INTERNET AMERICA!!!!

Comments:

Review by Terry Wood See Profile

• Location: Corpus Christi,Nueces,TX

We were using Internet America, and although they were expensive,
$208/mon. for 5 individual IP addresses, it worked fairly consistently.
However, on Thursday, January 16, our SDSL lines were working fine.
Friday morning I got a 7:30 am call from my office asking what was wrong
with our service; we could not connect to the Internet. We were in the
process of switching telephone/sdsl services to another provider, which
entailed a loop installation at the "d-mark" of our building. An SBC
rep. performed this, and we thought he had done something to cause the
interruption. After spending almost all day trying, unsuccessfully, to
get SBC to return, we finally called Internet America. They informed us
that "IP", the co. that actually furnishes the line to them for our use
was in bankruptcy and was supposed to shutdown providing the line Feb.
23. However, they apparently decided, sometime Thursday evening or
Friday morning, to shut down their delivery of the service, without
notifying anybody. Internet America said in the interim, they could set
us up a "dial-up", until something else could be worked out. The next
day they sent us a letter stating they would no longer furnish an SDSL
line and would only offer ISDN lines costing, I believe, about $343.00,
or thereabouts per month!!! Talking about leaving someone in the lurch!
Fortunately our new service, Ionex Telecommunications, expedited their
installation and gave us a combination router/hub which only requires
one IP address. They indicated our SDSL service would be under
$100.00/month! Our up/down speed is 512 kb compared to 300+ before. Hope
nobody else has to go through the treatment that we experienced with
IP/Internet America, whom we won't likely forget.

Comments:

Review by ladybug2 See Profile

• Location: Deer Park,Harris,TX
  • CLEC party: Southwestern Bell
Overall "IA is now punishing all BULLET ADSL customers because of SBC"

Internet America has capped all BULLET ADSL / SBC / Southerwestern Bell circuits to 128/256. Anyone who ordered ADSL service with PDQ.net, which is now owned by Internet America, has had their service capped to 128/256. This was done without notice to any of these customers. When I signed up for service it was for 128/384 to 1.5MB. I have always received the max of 1.5. In my inquiries I have found out that because SBC is supposedly charging more for bandwidth usage to Internet America they are capping ALL SBC circuits to the same speed that Internet America's other DSL provider, IP Comunications, lowest speed adsl circuits are set at and charged for. They don't care that you have been with them a long time, or that you signed up for a different speed rate that was guaranteed to be no less than 384 and no more than 1.5MB. Also I have heard that some circuits were grandfathered and left at the same speed / same cost but not every one. And they did not notify me in wiriting of anything.

Comments:

Review by twitch53 See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
Good "Good speed, easy installation"
Bad "servers are down frequently"
Overall "I'm satisfied"

UPDATE 11/20/01

I got my DSL turned on. Its running fine except the servers have gone down a couple times since I've had it. Speed are pretty good, I'm getting 600/80. Thats pretty good for my plan. Overall I'm pretty satisified.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------

My friend ordered 768kbps for 80.00 bucks a month (which is a rip off), plus i never got a set date for installation. If I cancel the service now they will charge me $150 for something i never had. It's been 2 months, and when I call to inwuire about the order all they can tell me is "we will email you, your activation date." I've just decided not to get DSL. I know I will never get service from them, so Im just gonna wait until the contract is over and I've never gotten service. Don't go with Internet America it is the equivelent of America Online, it sucks.

member for 14.3 years, 143 visits, last login: 9.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by tommymorgan See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
Good "none"
Bad "Terrible coordination with IP Communications; techs don't know what they are talking about; website shows FRAUDULENT prices"
Overall "Keep away from these crooks."

I originally went to PDQ.net's page to check out their DSL pricing. In doing so, I saw that they were merging with Internet America, but this did not bother me. The pricing page (in early-mid March 2001) listed three service levels and I chose the 1.5M/768k option.

I called to place my order and everything seemed fine. I paid for the equipment so I would not have to have a contract and my credit card was promptly charged ~$360. A couple weeks later I called to check the status of my order and to verify that my order info had been recorded correctly. I expected that my install would not be happening any time exceedingly soon, but what I did not expect was that they had me down for a 384k upstream. I reiterated that I wanted the 768k up and all was well again.

I called about a week later for the same purpose as before and this time I was told that the upstream they had me down for was 128k! Once again I told them that I wanted 768k and that it was very important.

Another call a week later... back to 384k up. I again said that I wanted 768k up although now the pricing page listed the fastest service level at 384k up. I told them that it said 768k when I ordered and that's what I expected. I went on to say that for anything less than 768k I would rather get a cable modem -- it's cheaper, easier and the speed performance IS comparable... I had one before I moved. I was told that it shouldn't be a problem. Due to the fact that I had ordered when they advertised 768k up, I would get 768k up.

A couple weeks later... 768k! Finally they got it right, but by now I was getting tremendously upset with the amount of time it was taking to install the whole thing. They said it should be soon.

Eventually I got a card in the mail letting me know that my phone line now had DSL, but I still didn't have the equipment. I called again and inquired as to why (even though I had been charged for it a couple months prior) and they said that IP Communications sends the equipment out when the phone line is ready, and that it should take no longer than seven days to receive the modem.

The modem actually showed up in less than seven days and I was anxious to get it going. I plugged everything in, configured my computer and rebooted. Well, it wasn't working. I have been running networks for several years and I could not get it to work after an hour or so of tweaking. I again called support and after having no luck was given to the support manager. The manager was also unable to get things working, so he got IP Communications on the phone and they were sending data to the modem and asking me if the receive light was flashing. It was. "Now ping X." I did... they did not receive my data. Ultimately it was determined that I was sent a defective modem and that I would have to ship it back and wait for a new one. At this point I inquired with the manager regarding the upstream speed and was informed that it would be 128k. I was enraged. He said that Internet America offers 384k up, but in Houston, SW Bell caps all ADSL traffic at 128k up and there was nothing Internet America could do about it. I expressed my disgust and demanded that they cancel my whole order and refund my money. In addition to the money for the equipment, I had been charged $80-something twice (once each for the two months I was waiting for the install). My internet access to this point had been the complimentary dial-up account they provided, so I was not pleased to have paid 160 bucks for two months of dial-up. I wanted all $520 back and I wanted it fast. This was about May 25, 2001. He said that he can't cancel my service, but he was filling out the forms that the billing department would need to do so as we were speaking. He added that I should hear from the billing department within ten business days. With what they had subjected me to, I insisted that they get in touch with me within two days and he said that he would escalate the issue and I would be contacted within two days.

It is now July 25 and I have never heard from them. I am still out $520. I put 60 days for "Time from order to success" because that is when my service would have worked if the modem had not been defective(it still would not have been the speed I had ordered though...). The truth is that there never was success, but there were a lot of lies and/or tech mistakes along the way.

Internet America is by several orders of magnitude the worst ISP I have ever dealt with. You would be doing yourself a huge favor by steering clear of these crooks.

UPDATE: I called the billing department today to see when I would be getting my refund and they said it had been approved on July 19 for $604. I guess they charged me 80-something a third time and I didn't even realize it.

member for 13.4 years, 14 visits, last login: 13.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by AWS_Chris See Profile

• Location: Allen,Collin,TX
  • CLEC party:
Good "No circuit problems."
Bad "Horrible billing problems, dishonest salespeople, horrible customer support"
Overall "Look elsewhere for your DSL service."

I placed an order for DSL service with Internet America approximately 4
months ago when I moved into my new apartment and was no longer able to get
AT&T @Home Cable service. I decided to go with their "Faster" DSL service
for the higher download rate. I also told them that I needed more than 1 IP
address (3, to be specific). I was told that they only offered a minimum of
8 IP's beyond the single IP solution. This was fine, as long it was a
bridged IP block and I didn't require a router. The salesperson was very
specific in that a router would not be required. Seeing that I was a bit
hesitant, he told me that if I was not happy with the service that I could
cancel within 30 days and get my money back. At this point, I placed the
order.

I called back a week or so later to check on the status and was told
that I could not get a DSL circuit from IP Communications (Internet
America's standard CLEC) and would have to go with SWBell. I told them this
was fine. About 1 week later (the day I moved into the new apartment) an
SWBell tech showed up to terminate the DSL circuit.

After the modem arrived in the mail I connected the circuit and everything was fine. However, I had not yet been told what my IP addresses were. I contacted support and was
told that I had a WAN IP as well as a .248 block of LAN IP's. When I told
him it was supposed to be a bridged block and that I was not supposed to
need a router, he said they didn't do bridged IP's. At this point, I knew I
had been lied to by the salesperson and was a bit upset. After attempting
to find a cheap router that did not do NAT routing, I gave up and cancelled
the account (about 20 days after install) and ordered new service from
On-Ramp (a local provider out of Austin, TX). I had noticed 2 hits on my
bank account for about $80 each (monthly service costs) from Internet
America. I then noticed they had deducted over $600 from my account. After
a long run-around I found out that they had charged me for a full years
service in advance. I then found out (again, after hours on the phone and
being transferred from person to person) that they had 3 accounts active for
me. One dial-up account, one DSL account with a circuit from IPC (turns out
they could do the install), and one DSL account with a circuit from SWBell.
I was being charged for all three, even though I didn't order a dial-up
account and the DSL circuit from SWBell had never been installed (and the
order had never been cancelled to SWBell). It has now been approximately 4
months and I am still fighting for the refund I was promised when I ordered
the line. Internet America has deducted over $1000 from my bank account
and only managed to refund just over $500. And to top it all off, I was
recently charged another $100 for who-knows-what reason. I have now been
told that they do NOT offer 30 days money-back on DSL service and that they
will not refund a $250 disconnect fee nor a $150 modem charge. The modem
cost is reasonable, as I still have their hardware and I don't have a
problem paying for it. However, the simple fact that they completed screwed
up my order in addition to the dishonesty I got from their salesperson
should be enough reason for them to refund me the money I was promised. I
am now told, however, that their "policy" says they can't refund me and my
only hope is to send an email to ceo@airmail.net .
Surprisingly enough, they can't escalate this issue internally to the CEO
and they require their customers to do their job for them. My suggestion is
that any who is considering ANY service from Internet America think again.
Their shoddy business practices and blatant disregard for customer
satisfaction should be rewarded in kind.

Chris Oyler
AT&T Wireless Group
NDVN Operations Engineer

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
sure about the former."
-Albert Einstein

Comments:

Review by geoffstaples See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "DON'T USE INTERNET AMERICA UNTIL YOU READ THIS!"
Bad "They charged me for 384K up service and only provided 128K"
Overall "IA's prices are FRAUDENTLY stated on their website."

I purchased the Internet America "FASTER" service which is advertised on their website as 384K upload speed for $59.95 per month.

I thought the service was slow. I never had any uploads faster then 128K. So, I called their tech support. After 1.5 hours on the phone, I was told: "You can't get 384K up without paying an additional $30.00 per month to Covad and a $29.95 fee to upgrade. Our salesperson should have told you this, but, it isn't our fault that the salesperon didn't tell you. You received the 384K service from us. The fact that your Covad service doesn't support the higher speed isn't our problem.

Here are the full details as sent to their customer support supervisor who has not bothered to reply:

Thomas:

Let me explain how I was defrauded by Internet America and why I plan to file complaints with the Dallas Better Business Bureau, the Online Better Business Bureau, DSLReports.com, and the Texas Attorney General's office. (If I have left anyone out, please don't hold it against me.)

Here's the situation:

I discovered that my "Faster" DSL service was only uploading at 128K.

So, I called your technical support.

The techsupport person told me to go to CNET.com and use their test. It came up as 56K, which this person described as "good".

The tech support person then told me I needed to contact my telephone company. I purchased my service from you, not the phone company. I don't appreciate finger pointing.

Then, he put me on hold to talk with someone. When he came back on the line, he told me that SWBell limits ALL ADSL connections to 128K up.

So, of course, the question is "Well, why did you sell me a service that has an upload cap of 384K when the max the phone company will provide is 128K?"

When I mentioned that my neighbor was getting greater then 128K up from one of your competitors, I was told, "Why don't you buy your service from them?"

So, I asked to speak to a supervisor. I was connected with Jeff.

Jeff informed me that I can get the 384K up that I thought I had originally purchased by paying a $29.95 upgrade fee and then $99.00 per month instead of the $59.95 advertised for this rate.

Jeff says that:

The sales person should have told me that there was an additional fee. The sales person never mentioned an additional fee.

Jeff says that Internet America has no responsibility.

So, I've been paying for a service I did not receive and, according to Jeff, there will be no adjustment made to my account. I've received what I paid for from Internet America and that is the end of the story.

NOW, here's what you need to know:

I was one of your very first customers. I left your service a few years ago because I needed ISDN and you didn't have it. In fact, in the beginning, I helped your tech guys resolve various technical issues by providing solutions to problems that they couldn't solve.

I came back to Internet America when I switched to ADSL because I had consistently excellent service from you when I was previously your customer.

Had I known the true cost of the ADSL service, I would have shopped around instead of simply buying from Internet America without price shopping.

I have recommended your service to at least 15 people over the last 6 months. A number of those have purchased your service. I recommended you because I thought you were honest, cared about your customers, and provided a good service for a fair price.

Any illusions of Internet America's quality of service or integrity have now been shattered. So, of course, I can no longer recommend you and will be steering customers away from your service in the future.

As soon as I find another service provider, I plan to switch.

I have a one year contract with you in exchange for the free installation. I consider that contract to be void since you defrauded me by selling me a service that I did not receive.

If, unlike Jeff, you have a better solution to this problem, I would like to hear from you.

Geoff Staples