Cortland Communications d.b.a. Seattle DSL page on DSLReports

Review by DarthRay See Profile

• Location: Redmond,King,WA
  • Telco party Verizon
  • CLEC party: Verizon
Good "Very reliable connection, personalized customer care, low price for the features you get"
Bad "Can't think of one"
Overall "Go sign up now!"

I was a customer of another company (can't remember the name) when I was informed that Cortland had bought the DSL customer base from them. I had a great deal with the previous company and Cortland assured me I'd be able to get the same level of service for the same kind of money I was paying before. And they did.

Since the beginning, I rarely had any trouble with my connection. It was always reliable and the speed was above average for my kind of link (768Kbps/128Kbps back then). The move to Cortland didn't change a thing other than my IP addresses (I have static ones).

Later on I upgraded to 1500Kbps/384Kbps. Other than Verizon taking a few days to complete the change, I had no issues at all with them. Their tech support people always took care of everything for me. When I moved to our new home, Verizon not only took around 10 days to complete the move, they also downgraded my link to 1500Kbps/128Kbps. They told me I'd have to call my ISP to get things straight. I gave Robby a call and within 24h everything was back to normal. Why Verizon downgraded my connection, no one knows -- and I was the one that had to call the ISP to fix it. Go figure...

Also, Cortland doesn't care that I run servers at home (e-mail, web, ftp, etc), it doesn't block any IP ports and it doesn't limit my bandwidth like others do. That's one of the main reasons I won't be moving to any other ISP any time soon. Add to that great link reliability and a very good price and there is really no reason to even think about that. Also, there is no PPPoE/PPPoA to deal with. Everything is just plain ethernet on my side -- thank goodness.

I sure wish Cortland success. Their success means they will be around and if they are around, I can still get great service for a good price.

Comments:

Review by cyberlot0 See Profile

• Location: Auburn,King,WA
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Responsive sales staff and great prices"
Bad "Wacky slowdowns one some nights, normally only last 5-10 minutes, like there rebooting or something."
Overall "Worth the minor problems that have come about."

I started with Covad DSL through CAIS internet, afterwards I found out my slow speeds where because theres no Cais hub out here.. I spend 1 month searching for the best ISP in this area..

When I talked to Cortland, the sales rep was responsive and very helpfull, they even gave me a DSL ip of a customer that was currently up so I could compare ping times and traceroutes.

Install was a smooth success. In the year I have been with them I have only had one major problem with my DSL and it turned out to be the phone company. They do have slow periods, mostly around 1-2am, but all other times its great.. I have a 640k down connection and I am constantly getting 512k which is great with the overhead.

member for 14.7 years, 134 visits, last login: 10.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by mikeymu See Profile

• Location: Mountlake Terrace,Snohomish,WA
Good "Great Tech Support, Low latency, 0.0% downtime."
Bad "Can't think of one."

After having a few other ISP's with problems (lost connections, high latency, etc.) these guys are rock solid.