WhidbeyNET page on DSLReports

Review by hamman See Profile

• Location: Freeland,Island,WA
  • Telco party Whidbey Telephone
Good "Reliable, all facilities are ug, alot is fiber, full service, pc repairs, classes."
Bad "b&g only, no customer owned modem/router combo, only dsl co in town."
Overall "high priced, take it or leave it attitude, no control of router, pwr outages r frequent in winter"

Power6 Premium Turbo

Turbo Package Includes
- 10 POP3 e-mail accounts
- 100MB personal web storage
- Whidbey Telecom Internet &
Broadband as your full service ISP

Rarely does one get the advertised speeds although they will test up to your house.

Router provided = NexusLink 5631 (b/g only) - frequently loose wireless signal in my own home due to limited range of signal - I have a tri-level home with the router in the middle story and there are some rooms where one can loose wireless signal.

Tech service is 5 days a week only. Service is reliable because all the facilities are UG, however it is very common during the winter months for power outages to occur. Often they can be long in duration, so long that many residences are equipped with generators. Once the power goes out, the dsl will only stay on for as long as you can keep your router up and running. Get a good UPC battery backup and use it sparingly.. Power outages can last 2-3 days during bad storms especially towards the south end of the island where this ISP serves. It is the only game in town when it comes to phone and dsl. Tech service is geared for basic troubleshooting, they have no capability to remote in, so if it can't be handled over the telephone then a service call must be scheduled and then you may find that the will be billing you for those charges beyond their point of attachment to your home. To get ports opened on the router necessary for specific applications always is a challenge as must do so much explaining as to why a program or even a wireless printer would need it. So often I have considered cable so I can run my own modem/router and have far more fliexibility.

Initial setup, I had to drive to their main telephone center where I spoke to a non-technical spokesperson. She gave me a price list with the various packages to choose from, I was signed up, was handed the router and a service appointment was scheduled in 3-4 business days for hookup. They arrived at my home, opened the package I was given only to inform me that I had the wrong router for the package that I had ordered. He returned the following day, with all the "right equipment", hooked it all up but no internet, They had to pull all new conductor from the street to my home causing yet another delay. When all was said and done, I had service but I had to have them return two additional times to correct matters so that I got speeds that were within 75% of what the TURBO package I was to being paying for.. The difference was blamed on my household wiring which seemed odd, since my point of attachment was only 10 feet from their connection to my home. Perhaps I just had a bad experience, but coming from another area out-of-state, I can only hope that this was an isolated case.

Provides IPv4 service only, IPv6 not available.

I ordered the Turbo package and have had it for almost 2 years. With taxes and all the incidental charges that get tossed into the bill, my monthly bill is just shy of $50/month.

Comments:

AlfDSL

@fibercloud.net

Tech Support

Just an FYI, Support is 24/7, and Wireless N routers are available.

Review by gordonf See Profile

• Location: Freeland,Island,WA
  • Telco party Whidbey Telephone
Good "Reliable and fairly fast"
Bad "Upload speed a little slow, website storage miniscule"
Overall "The only real choice on Whidbey Island"

I've been a customer of Whidbey Telephone for many years and was one of their first DSL customers. Service and reliability have always been top notch. Lines are 100% buried so the frequent windstorms we get don't affect service.

Cost is pretty good and supposedly they are going to double throughput and keep costs the same. They recently sent out new DSL modems to all customers in preparation.

The only other option is Comcast who is our cable TV provider. Few people choose this option (they were late to bringing broadband to the island) and I have not been especially impressed with the performance at the house of those who have.

My one quibble... Whidbey Telecom offers internet facing website storage but it has been set at a limit of 10MB (yes, that's MB as in Megabytes) total storage for as long as I can remember.

Comments:

Review by DonoftheDead See Profile

• Location: Clinton,Island,WA
  • Telco party Whidbey Telephone
Good "Several tiers(including 5.5Mbps) and dial-up too. Also very reliable."
Bad "1-wish it wasn't as pricey 2-bandwidth depends on location"
Overall "Utterly reliable and fast(5.5Mbbps)."

Very reliable connection. Really fast!(for DSL) I have the "Turbo" DSL at 5.5Mbps. Speed varies depending on servers, overhead, etc., but I' ve tested 5.3 Mbps before and regularly get 4.5Mbps. Usually get around 386kbps upload tests. The bad news is, what your bandwidth is, depends on your distance from the CO. I was told to try the 2.5/512 tier first. If that worked, then try the 5.5/512 tier. I live in town, so I'm close to the CO and like I said before, regularly test at 4.5/386. I can live with that. Tech support is open to 10 PM and they even have their own PC repair shop here in Clinton. I would recommend Whidbey Telecom.

Comments:

Review by bigak See Profile

• Location: Clinton,Island,WA
  • CLEC party: Whidbey Telephone
Good "Great and Immediate Customer Service, Technical Support"
Overall "Its the Way to go."

I previously had the Power DSL package from Whidbey Net which was capped at 2.5/512. As soon as I found that they had upgraded services and had a Turbo package capped at 5.5/512 I called them. The Customer Service said that they would need to run tests and could call me back tomorrow to confirm if this was available in my area. The Turbo DSL package is priced at 44.95 but comes with a Dynamic IP. The static IP costs $5 making my monthly bill $50.

Promptly I got the call and was approved. My wife took the Zyxel Modem in the CS center where it was programmed within 10 minutes. Its the kind of service you can expect only from a small community like South Whidbey Island.

On the technical side I have never experienced any issues with connectivity or slow speeds. I have had to call TS a couple of times for issues pertaining to my in-laws connections and found them extremely helpful and knowledgable. When my in-laws computer got infected by a worm they even took it to their CS center and fixed it free of charge.

The other alternative on the island is Comcast cable. And after dealing with their unresponsive CS team for 2 months I found it extremely hard to even get setup. Whidbey Net on the other hand was a charm and got started for me in 1 day.

Kudos to them and hope their excellent service stays!

Comments:

Review by cutedeedle See Profile

• Location: Clinton,Island,WA
  • CLEC party: Whidbey Telephone
Good "Very fast and reliable"
Overall "Go for it"

I've been on their "premium" DSL service for over a year and they just added "turbo" for $5 a month more. Top rated speed for turbo service is 5500/512 mbs. I called this afternoon to upgrade and within minutes they had me turbo'd. I have experienced only one short outage with Whidbey DSL in about 1 1/2 years of use. My new DSL speed is about 4450/450 mbs. I will be upgrading my router/firewall box soon so that will also help my thruput. BTW, the price listed above is for one static IP -- the "turbo" price of DSL is actually $45 a month with a dynamic IP address. Add $5 a month for static IP.

Original install and service were also top-notch and I'm hard to please, being a former IT/IS manager of programmers and tech support.

Good job Whidbey Telecom!

Comments:

Review by dubfanatic8 See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
  • CLEC party: Whidbey Telephone
Good "very fast, low pings, quick installation"
Bad "expensive, modem has problems sometimes, Usenet service bad for binary downloaders"
Overall "they say time slows down on Whidbey Island, this isn't true for the DSL"

I ordered the 1.5/512 DSL package from WhidbeyNet at an exorbitant $170 a month. the installation was very quick and easy. The modem it came with was actually a Zyxel Prestige 645 router. it came with 2 static IPs at first (you can get up to 13), one assigned to the modem and the other to a firewall or PC. I gave the second IP to my Linksys router and hooked all my computers up to that. it appears that they allow servers, and I don't believe they block ports 80 or 25. unfortunately for us Usenet binary junkies their service isn't worth it. They have two servers, one outsourced to Supernews (3 week retention, 2 connections, 16 KB/s per connection) and the other to Giganews (monthly cap most likely). Every week or so the modem seems to get bogged down, transfers go extremely slow, even slower than a dial-up connection. this can be fixed by a power cycle but it's annoying to have to go out to the basement. all problems aside though, WhidbeyNet is a great DSL provider, and it's a good thing that they are because they're the only ones around.

member for 13.7 years, 1302 visits, last login: 5.6 years ago