Qwest.net page on DSLReports
Closed to new reviews.

Review by epiphyte See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "40% cost saving + 2x achieved download sped over comcast"
Bad "very poor initial reliability - arduous interaction with phone support"
Overall "Took a while to get working reliably, but worth it to ditch Comcast...."

I ordered the 12mbps/768kbps "fiber" VDSL2 svc from qwest after comcast hiked my IP-only cable svc another $10/mo. The install went fine (Qwest/actiontec Q1000 modem) and the download speed is as advertised. I get a very large number of modem retrains though - at worst it won't stay up for more than a few minutes at a time. At best it's been up for 16 hours continuously, but that was with the upstream trained to 150kbps or so, (i.e. 75% degraded over the advertised rate). Either of the above are painful for me because I spend a lot of time VPNd in to remote sites with active filesystems mounted across the link.

Over the past two weeks I've had several redundant conversations with service, usually spending a half-hour or so getting the call to the same point in the dialogue at which the previous one was concluded, and being batted back and forth between POTS + IP support. I've had both a POTS tech and an internet tech visit; both cited the other as the source of the problem - so today they are both supposed to show up at once and fight it out. Stay tuned...

Update: 3rd tech. to visit found + removed extra wire and a poor splice from the copper loop. Up solid at full speed for 4 days. Starting to feel a little more confident at this point...

Comments:

Review by StuartMW See Profile

• Location: Ouray,Ouray,CO
Good "Great intro (6 month) rate and fair rate after that. Good speed (7Mbps down)."
Bad "Online (chat) tech support was polite but not tech savy (what's"
Overall "Good service at a (great intro) price."

I considered a local microwave provider (Ouraynet) but they were pricey and the previous owner had left a QWest modem (Motorola 3347) so I didn't have to pay any install costs for QWest service. QWest also had a $24.99/month offer, for 6 months and to be honest I prefer DSL to cable/radio systems anyway.

In my area I had two speed choices: 1.5Mbps and 7Mbps. I went with the 7Mbps which is over 2x the speed I had before with AT&T in Austin, TX.

I ordered via phone and the process was very straightforward. QWest sent, via UPS, and installation CD which configured the modem, setup the PPP login password (in the modem) etc. It took a few minutes to get everything up and going.

However for the first few days the modem was resynchronizing every hour or so which was really annoying. I contacted QWest tech support, via online chat, and the rep said my line was good and recommended getting a new modem (for $99!). I checked the log in the modem (I'm tech savy) and saw that the TR-069 authentication process was constantly failing. I assumed this was causing the modem to reboot, so I reset it back to factory defaults (reset button on the modem) and ran the setup CD again to reinitialize the modem. This seems to have fixed the issue and my connection seems solid Presumably the QWest install program doesn't set/reset everything in the modem and there was stuff left over from the previous user.

Even after re-initializing the modem, as described above, I was still getting modem retains. I changed the phone cable from the wall to the modem, for length reasons, and noticed that it affected (positively) the connection reliability. I then removed the phone jack from the wall and the modem immediately lost sync. While checking the wiring one wire broke. Since fixing that my connection appears rock solid.

member for 14.1 years, 7332 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by marzer2 See Profile

• Location: Colorado Springs,El Paso,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Consistent speeds, high reliability."
Bad "Online services (account management, integration) are horrible: slow, disparate portal and tech support systems."
Overall "Fast, reliable DSL for the cost; frustrating support services."

40Mbps (free upgrade from 7Mbps); self-install, $60 for the modem; ZyXEL Q100 (free upgrade from GT-701). Best experience: As a long term customer (20+ years) with Qwest, they've continued to offer me the $29.99/mos for any speed introduction price over the past year. Worst: Having to navigate the multitude of service portals and tech support systems.

Comments:

Review by MSauk See Profile

• Location: Sandy,Salt Lake,UT
Good "Ordered Online, Installed within 3 days, Solid pings and Speeds"
Bad "Can only use one router for their new service"
Overall "Solid here in Utah. Old speed used to be 1.5, upgraded and now I get 12 down."

UPDATED 03-07-2010

I have since moved into an area that can get the 40/5 speed. My modem trains at 36/5 and I get 33/4.5 just about every download. Service has been fantastic so far, zero complaints.

view a speed test, click on the link
»www.speedtest.net/result/1189404876.png

UPDATE 7-25-09

Well I ordered qwest to give it a shot here in Utah. My house for many many years was stuck at 1.5 down which was fast 8 or 9 years ago. But todays speeds that is like using dialup.

Our area within the last few months if that was upgraded with fiber to the nod I believe. I am now able to get 12/896 in which I get 10.8/700 to 800 up on a very consistent basis.

My pings for games is under 100 just about everywhere which is great! Overall very happy with the upgrade, but of course would like to get the higher speeds that they are beginning to offer.

--------------

My area I can get 5120 / 896 Kbps and on speed tests I get just about every time, 4300/750. That to me is very acceptable.

Overall the line has been rock solid. No issues, pings are a touch higher then I would like to see them on a DSL line, but seriously not bad at all.

The price I believe is around 15 dollars to high for the speed I get. But I would rather give my money to qwest then have comcast get it.

If your in the Spokane Valley area I would suggest qwest.

member for 12.7 years, 4145 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by kjendiscat See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Reliable speed and connection"
Bad "Horrific customer service and website"
Overall "A good deal as long as you never have to contact customer service"

I have been a Qwest DSL customer for 5 years. Last month I noticed an upgrade offer in their website for current customers. I currently have 7mbps/896k and pay $47 monthly. The offer was for 12mbps for $50 with one month free. After entering all the information on website, I was unable to complete the order due to a website error. I tried again, but the same occurred. I have had problems with the site on many previous occasions. It is slow, glitchy and poorly designed. The next day I called customer service and ordered the service and they gave me a due date for the upgrade. The information provided by the customer service rep. was unclear and she seemed very uninformed about the services. I confirmed the date and contact number and called back 2 days later to confirm. On the day of installation, the technician stated on the order that he attempted to contact me, but I never received a call. I called customer service and was told that I had to reschedule the order. I confirmed the date on phone number twice with them and arranged my schedule to be near my home and now they want me to reschedule due to their error? If Comcast, the alternative, was not so horrible, I would seriously consider switching over.

Comments:

Review by sota767 See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
Good "Great speed vs price. Knowledgable installer."
Bad "Bizarre connection issues. Lacks advanced features."
Overall "If you need a lot of bandwidth and don't mind some occasional glitches."

Signed up for the new 40Mbps/20Mbps service available in my area. Price ends up being about $45/month and goes up to $75 after 6-months if I don't do some stupid contract renewal with their sales weasels. The installer that came out was friendly, fast, and professional.

I was wary of the new VDSL2 service as the previous ADSL service in this area was atrociously bad (7Mbps/3Mbps with actual speeds of 1Mbps/-). But so far VDSL has been delivering with about 36Mbps/16Mbps actual speed.

The weird part is for some reason when I bridge the Zyxel Q100 and do the PPPoE sign-on on my router the speed plummets after a few hours to practically nothing. Reboot everything only fixes the speed for another few hours. If I put PPPoE back on the Zyxel then everything is fine all day - no reboots needed. Bizarre. And the double-nat prevents me from doing more interesting things with my router (and grinds on my sense of order in the universe).

Calling support to get the PPPoE password was surprisingly painless. No overseas 30-minute nightmares like I had before. The techs actually had an idea what I was talking about. Refreshing!

Comments:

Review by davidw07 See Profile

• Location: Englewood,Arapahoe,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Good Speed, Has been Very Reliable"
Bad "Stuck in a contract"
Overall "Has been Great."

Just upgraded My Qwest connection to 12/5 VDSL2 with New Q1000 Modem. It's been up for about a week now with no issues. The speed is great 11.4 down and 4.79 up. SamKnows router also confirms these speeds and the stable connection.

member for 13.2 years, 472 visits, last login: 1.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by mekburg See Profile

• Location: Albuquerque,Bernalillo,NM
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Stable throughput and ping times all the time"
Bad "Some confusion during ordering process"
Overall "Good value"

My former ISP was starting to cause problems and since QWEST was offering some decent deals I switched. I placed the order for service while I still had service with the former ISP. This caused a little confusion in the order process. But I kept a close watch on QWEST and bottom line was I had to re do the order and was without service for 8 days. The diy installation went without a hitch and after 4 weeks of QWEST I can say I don't regret making the change. Here I am almost 4 years later and I am still using QWEST because they have given me good service, have given me upgrades for free. Still satisfied.

Another couple years have past. I have not changed my mind nor has QWEST given me any reasons to change services. I must be a loyal customer, and will be as long as QWEST continues as they have.

member for 13.3 years, 150 visits, last login: 3.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by nocgirl72 See Profile

• Location: Scottsdale,Maricopa,AZ
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Great speed with no phone line required"
Bad "billing fiascos, internal communication errors,"
Overall "Reliable fast internet"

I have had qwest actually for a few years. They recently upgraded to fiber optic no phone line required so since we never used the land line anyways we cancelled it. On all speed test I consistently get almost 7MB down, and almost 2MB up. I pay $42.99 per month and it has only been down once or twice the while time I have had it. Now I'm not sure whether my modem with them is wireless or not but my dad bought me a wireless router and hooked it up so we have 2-3 computers online. I watch Netflix with no problem. Compared to awful Satellite internet which is slow, very expensive and has all sorts if limits and restrictions, I am lucky to have Qwest.

Comments:

Review by mojo_qize See Profile

• Location: Denver,Denver,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "super fast speed with vdsl2 for a super low price, no contract"
Bad "needed a new modem to support vdsl2"
Overall "wow!"

getting 40mb/20mb for super low intro price ($24.99), small escalation month 7 through 24, about the same price I was paying for 3mb/768kb after month 24; no contract

did have to buy a new modem and pay an install fee, but well worth it for having 10x the speed! actual tests results have been up to 27mb/13mb