Qwest.net page on DSLReports
Closed to new reviews.

Review by scsa20 See Profile

• Location: Queen Creek,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Consent Internet Speed and always close to what I've signed up for, bundle discounts."
Bad "Having to sign up under a contract, higher cost of service, only offered a gateway and not a modem."
Overall "Qwest is probably the next best service next to Cox in Arizona."

It's been good many months now since I've signed up with Qwest and thought I might as well give it a review on what I think about the service and product so far.

I moved into my current location just a year and 10 days ago, during that time the only providers out here were Qwest and MediaCom. I never fully trusted DSL service (mainly because I troubleshoot those issue for a living for another ISP) and never had issues with Cox but of course Cox wasn't out here, and I had Comcast before in California and didn't had issue with there Internet service so I figured all cable providers were the same and signed up with MediaCom. Boy was I wrong and they treated me bad and looked towards Qwest to see what they got to offer.

I started off by emailing Qwest and finding out if I do, in fact, am Green for getting there DSL service at my house since there online ordering site said it wasn't available. I did got a responds back within a day saying it was and can get up to 40MB/s. I was surprised how fast Qwest actually emailed me back but I was slow at calling the number the agent provided me with to call.

When I did called I got this one agent who answered all my questions that I could drill him on since I was really curious what they had and whatever questions he wasn't able to answer he looked up the answers. I was sad to hear that Qwest didn't offer just a plain modem but instead an Actiontec Q1000. I've also asked him about possibly to put it into bridge mode and he said that I should be able to. What's great about this sales agent was the fact that he picked up right away that I was a techie and didn't bother talking to me like a "novice" customer and hearing only things that will make him a sale. Because of this I asked for his email address so I could think over my options and email him when I'm ready because I would really like him getting the sale for helping me out so much.

A week later, after thinking about and putting my options on paper, I emailed the agent and told him to sign me up for the 20MB down and 5MB up and he called me to made sure that the address I sent him was corrected and finalize the order and he emailed me my account information soon after.

On the day of install the tech showed up within the time I was given and answered all my questions about the tech aspect of it, including the loop length between me and the VRAD since I've learned that I'm on a FTTN VDSL connection. I even saw the numbers on his JDSU. The install tech did a very great job overall getting the jack installed in the room I wanted it in and getting it on and going.

I've even chatted with a few click to chat agents for basic questions and getting my PPPoE information so I can get my personal router configured and they were really helpful in getting me the information I requested for.

Only once I had to call to there support center because I lost sync, a dispatch was created, but sometime in the middle of the night I woke up and noticed my service was working again. Calling tech support thinking they must be closed, I was surprised that someone was actually there and was able to cancel the dispatch for me.

So overall, Qwest really did exceed what I originally thought about them and do recommend the service to anyone who doesn't mind signing up for a contract term.

Comments:

Review by hortnut See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,Clark,WA
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Seems solid so far"
Bad "None so far that I can see"
Overall "2+ years, No longer use/ No longer a customer."

12/9/2010
No longer use,

10/22/09 - Relative no longer lives at address that had Qwest DSL. And now has Comcast. But Fios is being installed in their Apartment Complex. Since I am unable to delete, will part with this update.

The DSL worked fine at this location, the problem was with the Wetware clicking on every pop up and surfing at questionable sites that then crapped out the computer. That relative is not in the new location.
end
============================================================

At home I am with Comcast and normally connect on this Laptop Wirelessly. Currently I am visiting a relative and brought a wireless access point and am accessing Qwest DSL via that means.

No problem so far, though I do see that I would be disappointed if I were to be downloading large files.

Streaming video from You Tube and downloading a 25 meg file seems to work great in Firefox. No choppiness in the video. Opened up cbs.com and am watching Jericho at same time in IE. Seems ok.

Laptop - Dell C610 - P3 @ 1.2mhz, 1 gig Ram, Netgear 54g equipment. Old but still workable.

BTW - I was working for USwest/Qwest in Tech Support in late 90's/early '00's when DSL was first deployed in Phoenix and then throughout there whole territory. Supporting Win3.11, 95/98, NT and Macs [yes Macs will run on Qwest and DSL] at the time.

It was actually easier to troubleshoot a Mac then a PC!! But most techs were afraid of Macs.

member for 8.9 years, 3196 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Buzzwacky See Profile

• Location: Denver,Denver,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "7MBps / reliable connection /"
Bad "It's not mobile......"
Overall "It's all good!"

Often pull down well over 7. -- Still, could be cheaper!!!

Comments:

Review by TheMayor See Profile

• Location: Kent,King,WA
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Reliable, downtime is once every blue moon."
Bad "Not Sure"
Overall "Good value for the $$"

Qualfied for 40/5 & ordered the 20/5 plan & getting roughly 18.8 down & 4.7 up. Connection has been solid & No issues.

member for 12.2 years, 4566 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by CrazyDave8 See Profile

• Location: Issaquah,King,WA
Good "Great service, when its up"
Bad "daily down periods lasting 4-8 hours"
Overall "Annoying but good"

So I've been using Qwest for DSL connection for several years and have recently starting having DAILY disconnects that last 4-6 hours.

When it is up, its great. But it has been reliably DOWN every morning this week. Of course, tech support shows no problems And a few of their reps have been so busy reading their script that i couldn't even talk to them.

Comments:

Review by jimdebois See Profile

• Location: Tempe,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Fast, reliable, great support"
Bad "Unable to add e-mail accounts until new servers are available in 1 to 2 months"
Overall "Great service and support"

I looked at Cox but chose Qwest 11 years ago. Started out with 640, don't remember the cost, then 1.5 @ $27 and now 20 @ $20 a month for first 6 months and then $45 with their package. All orders have gone through fine with a start to finish time of about a week. Originally it was a Cisco 678, then an Actiontec M1000 and now a ZyXEL Q100. They have always been available on the phone and to come out to my house to check the quality of my lines.

Comments:

Review by grconner See Profile

• Location: Mapleton,Utah,UT
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Used to be reliable. Pretty cheap"
Bad "Now is flaky. Has always been pretty slow (at most 1.5 mb)"
Overall "I'm dumping it for wireless until either DSL speeds up, Cable is available, or I'm disenchanted with wireless"

I've been with Qwest for two years, but I'm just tired of the slow speed -- never enough for Netflix. Lately, it's been going up and down and I just given up on them ever upgrading their system. I've now got a wireless connect with Digis. We'll see how that goes.

Comments:

Review by Karl1973 See Profile

• Location: Olympia,Thurston,WA
Good "It is steady performs as promised."
Bad "Ping times could be lower"
Overall "Best connection available in my area"

Qwest recently installed DSL out in my area. It is great speeds are the 1.5 service and getting very close to exactly that. The only thing I noticed are my ping times that are hanging around 75ms witch is not bad but could be better. The only thing I wanted them to do that they refused was to try removing interleaving and put me on fast path. I have read it can lower your ping times alot and if your line is good enough then it is much better to turn it off. In other cases your better to leave it on anyhow they say its against there policy to turn it off. I have read that other people were able to get them to turn it off but perhaps policys change from when they requested it and now. I wish I could try my service without it to see if it helps. Other than that NO complaints its terrific was very happy to get it and it works extremely well. I would have to give Qwest a HIGH 5 on a great job putting in the D-SLAM out here. Only complaint would be wish they would of done it sooner!

Comments:

Review by dcroyle1 See Profile

• Location: Chandler,Maricopa,AZ
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Always Up Solid Speed Solid Support"
Bad "Contract"
Overall "Check them out you might be surprised"

Previous Choice TV customer that had no issues over 4 years of service. Switched to Qwest DSL 7mbs service 09/2009 when Choice TV service was removed from operation in our area. Qwest did screw up install for 1 day by not having tech out on the right day. Qwest's DSL service was down 3 times in 4 years(Car accident hit telco box, set top box failed, mainline hardware failed). In the year since switching to the naked DSL have had to un plug box less than 5 times to reset connection. Also from visiting DSLreports.com and doing speed tests I can say that Qwest's advertised speeds are what you get all the time morning, noon or night. Unlike my neighbor who is on Cox who's speed drops to dial up in evenings. When tech finally came to swap boxes for naked DSL he was in and out in 30 minutes, friendly and had obviously be trained on how to setup a basic windows xp system to connect to the internet.

I switched from Cox to Qwest 1 year after moving in to new house because Cox's service was so hit or miss, today it worked tomorrow no, and calls to Cox support were a waste of time(reboot, unplug, its your computer/equipment, call back was the Cox mantra) for over 35 calls in 30 days. Cox ultimately sent a tech who discovered house was wired incorrectly by Cox.

Qwest's support, when called treated me like I had brain and quickly diagnosed the problem and got either a tech out, often times in 4 hours or less(once at 930 at night), or walked me through the resolution.

I think if you've had Qwest 10 years ago you hated them and rightfully so but you out to consider them vs Cox today because they have come a long way on service and speed.

member for 4 years, 0 visits, last login: 4 years ago

Comments:

Review by willp1 See Profile

• Location: Las Cruces,Dona Ana,NM
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Smooth service and good speeds."
Bad "Send wrong password."
Overall "Excellent"

Comcast is horrible in every respect. Went from $42.00 to $89.00 with out even being notified. Dumped them as quick as finger could dial number. Never would I consider going to dark side(comcast) of the internet.

Received wrong password from qwest. Called tech support and in few minute it was go. No problems so fare.

member for 10.6 years, 2568 visits, last login: 2.1 years ago