Qwest.net page on DSLReports

Review by ChrisTheCat See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR
Good "Cheap"
Bad "Slow"
Overall "It's cheaper than my previous service"

Went from $112/month to $35/month, from 5.5mb download to 2.5mb download, from 25ms ping to 90ms ping.... but hey, it's cheaper.

Comments:

Review by twows See Profile

• Location: Sandy,Salt Lake,UT
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Fast downloads, contracted for 7 and regularly get 6+ (>80%)"
Bad "Qwest would not work with ISP (Xmission)-had to choose between Qwest & MSN. (went with stripped Qwest, just a ramp to internet."
Overall "Very satisfied"

I have a "fiber to node" connection rated at 7 mb. I replaced a 3 mb copper connection that was pulled out from under my feet. I noticed that all of a sudden my connection degraded from 3 (actually 2+) to just over 1. Several calls to technical support were long and fruitless (included standing in the snow with a connection to service connect to rule out in house wiring)

I turned out that when Qwest implement FTN in my neighborhood they arbitrarily cut faster than 1.5 service to 1.5. When I finally got that figured out I purchased the 7 mb option with a "lifetime" guarantee (for a 2-year obligation on my part) of price.

I was disappointed that Qwest would not allow me to use xmission, a superb local ISP. I ended up with a stripped qwest account (no email or storage) which is a lot better than the MSN that they tried to push me on to.

When the change was made I had a little trouble getting technical support to give me my user name and password. I had the modem set to bridge and just needed to configure my router. I said that several times but they kept telling me to configure the modem. When I finally got user/pw combo it came right up and has been very reliable.

Comments:

Review by carpetshark3 See Profile

• Location: Colorado Springs,El Paso,CO
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (2 month contract)
Good "All of us can be on line at once."
Overall "That was the main reason"

Ordered basic service. It was $10 cheaper if we had no services, just the line. We use Gmail and Yahoo. Also no fussing about bundled security. Were able to use our own choices. Qwest replaced 2 defective 2wire routers. The last replacement was a Motorola which somehow would not accept our kids wifi cards on their laptops. Theirs were the external - mine's internal and was not affected. That has been fixed.

So far, so good.

member for 10.8 years, 2272 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by CocoaVanilla See Profile

• Location: Tucson,Pima,AZ
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Great reliability, price, upload speed"
Bad "Download and upload speed"
Overall "Beats the heck out of Comcast, even if it's slower!"

I have Qwest DSL at my home with their fastest-available speeds of 1.5 Mbps/896 Kbps. Despite Comcast offering 16 Mbps/2 Mbps here, I will continue to use Qwest because of the reliability.

I first ordered Qwest DSL with Windows Live back in April of 2008 after poor service with Comcast, the local cable company. A 6 Mbps service (from Comcast) is only useful if it's up most of the time - and with Comcast, it wasn't. The representative on the phone provided slightly inaccurate information regarding the upload speed, which is actually 896 Kbps, except the representative stated it was 1 Mbps.

During my service with Qwest, reliability has been amazing. There have been very few outages and I can confidently say service reliability has been 99.99%. Adding to that, Qwest (at least in my area) does not seem to be oversold like Comcast and I have always received the full speeds I pay for. After ATM overhead, the actual speed is about 1.3 Mbps/740 Kbps - close enough to the advertised speed.

At one point, I had a block of static IPs from Qwest and was happy with those. Unfortunately, my present financial situation has caused me to cancel those. However, my job has required me to have a dedicated line and so I now have both my personal DSL line as well as a dry-loop work DSL line.

I've also dealt with tech support on a few occasions. The first-level tech support is based in the Philippines, which may deter some of you - but I can say they genuinely try to help you. If they can't help you, you can call the regular (1-800-244-1111) number and ask for the US-based tech support which I believe is second-level support.

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with, and highly recommend, Qwest DSL. Comcast (or your local cable company) may offer higher speeds for less - but is it really worth it when you can't use that service half the time? In my opinion, no, and that's why I will stick with Qwest DSL even with the slower speeds.

Comments:

Review by Yeadon563 See Profile

• Location: Duluth,Saint Louis,MN
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Fast Reliable hardly any trouble"
Bad "Faster Speeds"
Overall "Works for me!"

Long time Qwest user. Now have naked DSL 7mps for about 60 dollars. Like Qwest because I move alot. They are easy to setup and I already have a relation with them as a good customer.

I like how they have no download limits, and I never get a notice for using bittorent. I rarely have a problem with the service,plus with the free Motorola 3347 I already have it was a no brainer to chose Qwest.

member for 10.7 years, 1129 visits, last login: 295 days ago

Comments:

Review by Bronnster See Profile

• Location: Hazelton,Jerome,ID
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Constant reliablity on Hi-speed connection. Above 4.5m"
Bad "None known as of yet..."
Overall "Quality A+++ Reliability A+++ Support A+++ Cost A+++"

Highly recommend service. Qwest DSL is the BEST Hi-speed service I have received so far. I have tried several ISP's and by far, Qwest has outdone all of them.

Update edit:

Qwest has still outdone themselves in service both in customer and technical services area. Above 4.0 download speeds! Am i just fortunate enough to receive great service? I believe not! From researching overall reviews via internet posts, Qwest is well above satisfactory. Qwest is still the best for internet Hi-speed service in my opinion! Thank you Qwest for maintaining a unique positive status in Customer service.

update edit:

Qwest DSL is still Uber! Above 5.0 down/735 up. So above satisfied with Qwest's service. Reliable connection speeds (MMO gamer, Daily internet blogger, addicted stumbleupon user, share/freeware user). Troubleshooting Service, when needed, is immediate, live, courteous, professional, and always patient. I Am so glad Qwest reached out to our small city with their service. After reading some of the current reviews, of other ISP's and having used some of them myself, I can honestly say, "Proud to be a Qwest DSL Patron". I hope that those who are only able to receive satellite service because of location, who are stuck with services such as Wildblue (the worst ever for me), and/or having to put up with 'FAP' issues, and /or experiencing poor service or non-existent service, may soon have the opportunity to experience Qwest DSL. The experience is as different as night and day.

Update: 01/30/09- Qwest service is still working great. Still A+++ for me. I have never been more satisfied with service from any other company than I have been with Qwest. Reliable connection, Attentive and responsive (always seem to have a genuine concern with fixing the issue) Customer Service. If you look to DSL service, I can only hope you will be fortunate enough to have a Qwest DSL service experience. We have had no complaints with Qwest service from day one. Thank You Qwest. **Southern Idaho area subscriber very happy**

Update: 04/09/09 - Qwest has now added a new online service ( talktous@qwest.com ) and are quick to respond. Sent an email about unusual connection speed drops during gaming and streaming videos. They have already responded back to me (less than 12 hrs.) about my concerns. Qwest so Rocks!! This added personal online service just enhances everything I've said about Qwest service to their customers. What an absolutely outstanding company. Check out the forums concerning Fastpath service and see some positive comments about this new online service as well. Again, much thanks Qwest for your outstanding business practice. You Rock!

Comments:

Review by IWLoneWolf See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Polk,OR
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Download speeds are great for downloading large files,Game demos and online gaming !"
Bad "it is stuck at the 896 kbps up load speeds"
Overall " qwest DSL has been more dependable then cable was ,But there is still plenty of room for improvement"

Switched back from cable after having it for one year cable was lots of money and undependable !

I had the 7168kbps down\896kbps up connection for 8yrs the cost was $54.99 per month and I get $5.00 off my phone bill .That makes it 49.99 per month.Ordering was easy ,I did it over the internet,Received modem and installation kit I believe in about a week.I was up and running with in two weeks of order.I chose to buy the dsl modem for around $50.00 instead of renting one for $3.00 a month.I have had Qwest DSL For around eight years if I had rented the modem for $3.00 I would have paid out $252.00 by now so I saved $200.00 by buying the modem. Actiontec gt701-WG.

I have really liked browsing the internet on dsl websites load fast most of the time.

Downloading of large files game patches and demos has been really nice.

Some downsides have been with customer support .When I have contacted them with a problem the people I would give me the runaround if you can find help here on broadband website your better off.maybe someday the isp companies will do better in that area .

I now have the 1500kbps speed and it work good , I will most likely go back to the 7168kbps in the future .

4-6-2009 I now have upgraded back to the 7168 down / 896 up connection ,download speeds is great just would like to see 1-2 or a 5m up load speed , but if I understand things correctly from tech talk it will have to be in a up graded DSL or fiber to home upgraded in service provided by Qwest before that will be posible.

Comments:

Review by dmwagner See Profile

• Location: Canton,Lincoln,SD
Good "Stable, easy setup, always works"
Overall "I was pleasently surprised with how easy it was to get DSL service from Qwest. It's always worked flawlessly."

Nothing but a good experience for me and Qwest DSL. I have had it at this point for 3 or 4 months and haven't had a single problem with it.

The only port that is blocked is the outbound sendmail port. Other than that, wide open.

Comments:

Review by jlsoaz See Profile

• Location: Rio Rico,Santa Cruz,AZ
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "good reliable internet service for nearly 4 years at a reasonable price"
Bad "Upload speeds poor for offsite backup, company has poor attitude about upgrading service to semi-rural customers."
Overall "I am satisfied with this service, on the balance."

I got this service about 3.5 years ago, replacing a local cable provider which was providing shoddy internet service at the time. Generally, over those 3.5 years, I have been satisfied. In particular, I would say that the service has been reliable, which is something that my previous provider was not. Reliability is very big to me, whether in cars or internet service, or whatever. I give them a 5 on that point. I don't recall very well some of the other aspects (initial installation) and am not dwelling on them in my ratings. I tend to give moderate ratings to avoid grade inflation.

I am also pretty pleased about cost. In theory they charge more than the amount I have listed, but every year it seems they can find a way to allow me a discount and bundled savings and so-on. In the end, I always pay less than I would pay for stand-alone cable internet (I don't want the TV side of cable), and have generally paid in this $30-$40 per month range for those years. I have been offered a lower price for life if I commit to some sort of two year contract, but I don't like to be pressured into that sort of thing. I like to keep my options open, and what they are charging is ok, although I will admit that in some way 5 or 10 years from now I may be upset that I did not accept the deal.

My service is specifically "Qwest Broadband with Microsoft [or MSN]". I want to spell this out because, as I understand it, it is actually MSN which provides my internet but Qwest which provides the connectivity. I do have the option of going with Qwest.net, I believe, and one advantage this would give me I think would be that I could have some static IP addresses? Something like that.

I must say that on the balance I am satisfied. There are complaints that some might expect to read about Qwest in the areas of landline telephones or wireless or what-have-you, but in their internet service to me, I am basically satisfied, for now.

If pressed, I can think of a couple of complaints, so I will side-track to make them:

Over the years Qwest has harmed their reputation around here by not providing broadband internet service to some semi-rural areas, until they were pressured to do so.... until there was damage done. Then they will also seem to take their time about upgrading speeds. This did not in the past affect me too much since I was able to use cable until they finally offered DSL to me, and then I was patient while they upgraded from 1.5 to 3 meg in download speed.

However recently, this problem has come back full-force, since it has recently become more clear that I am close enough to the local box to have could have 7 mb speeds, from a technical standpoint. The problem seems to be (and I am not sure of this) that nobody at the company cares enough to file the proper paperwork. With Qwest, this sort of problem drags on for months. It is not as though there is really a responsive complaint department or something.

Another complaint is that the upload speeds proved very slow when I needed to implement an offsite backup initial upload over several dozen gigs. This problem is inherent to ADSL, and for now there isn't much I can do about it.

So, anyway, on the balance I am actually quite satisfied, and these complaints should not be construed as overtaking my review.

During the first year or two I think I had some of the usual problems, including some issues pertaining to home networking and bridging my modem and so-on and so-on... the usual situations where you get frustrated with having to deal with someone in India or someone here in the States who may or may not be able to help you. However, with the passage of time, my connection has really smoothed out, and I can't recall the last time I had to call them about this sort of issue.

Also, recently I accidentally had a construction crew sever my connection. Qwest was genuinely good about having a repair guy come out here very quickly, and they showed good dedication to getting me back up and running. I was well-served in that instance.

jl

Comments:

Review by kuhlbreaz6 See Profile

• Location: Albany,Linn,OR
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Reliable, the speed is unimpressive, but almost tolerable."
Bad "Terrible for streaming video, movies, online gaming. Tech support is horriffic."
Overall "perfect for occasional users and anyone who is not expecting high quality streaming video, or online gamers."

Qwest internet tech support is only for the completely computer illiterate. If you know anything whatsoever about computers and have any but the most basic of problems, expect to be frustrated beyond the capacity of words to express it. If you ever do manage to speak to any 'advanced technical support' personel they will at best politely explain why your problem will never be resolved. Qwest DSL is out of date technology at its finest. Its only good points are that it is not that expensive, it's a lot faster than dial-up and it's fairly reliable. Don't expect that you will be watching HQ movies, or enjoying lag-free gaming on it.