Qwest.net page on DSLReports
Closed to new reviews.

Review by lordpuffer See Profile

• Location: Rio Rancho,Sandoval,NM
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "At Least I'm getting Service"
Bad "I'm Nowhere Near The 40/20 That I'm Provisioned For"
Overall "I'm Tired Of Hearing the"

·CableOne
I knew that I was moving to NM to a building that has 40/20, so I ordered Qwest. With phone service, Internet service was $19.95 for the first 6 months, and then $85 per month for the rest. 20 up? That's insane! I received my vDSL modem the day they promised, and I was off like the speed of light......The $85 per month is going to hurt a little bit, so I'll do without TV service for a little while.

Update 11/7/10: DSL still working well. I have the Q100 modem bridged to a D-Link DGL-4500 Router. About once per week, the DSL stops working, and I have to re-boot both and it works again. Don't know if it's the Router or the Modem, however, the same thing happened when I had my D-Link DIR-655, and this is my second Modem.

Also, even though they are pretty high (no serious complaints here), I'm seeing top speeds of 33/13. It's just that the $85 per month is going to kick in, which I was well aware of when I ordered the service, and would like to see speeds closer to the 40/20 which was ordered. Qwest told me that the lower speeds are due to congestion at the local office.

Update 12/30/10: Since I was not getting the speed that I should have on the 40/20 plan due to the wiring in my apartment complex, a Qwest Field Technician lowered my speed to 20/5, and surfing the web actually seems faster! He spent a long time with me, and made extra efforts in explaining the benefits of lowering the speed. Good CS/Tech Support.

Update 1/4/12: I have not updated this review for a while, however, I did switch back to 40/5 before CenturyLink bought out Qwest. It has been working fine, basically the same, however I have always had a bit more latency than I would like. CL's speed test shows about 29ms, however, other speed test sites show about 65ms. I'm thinking of actually calling CL and going back up to the 40/20 Plan to see how that works now. I'll post a review of it once it's done.

Update 1/10/12: Well, they updated me to 40/20. Speed tests show about 34/16 (this is on their site....much lower on other speed test sites). I called CenturyLink, and they determined that it's "Congestion," and it should be fixed in 4 weeks. That's funny, for that's the same line I heard from Qwest over one year ago when I first had the 40/20 service.....BS IMO.

Update 1/12/12: It turned out to be BS. I emailed TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com, and I received a call back telling me it WAS NOT CONGESTION, but instead, there is a problem with my line. A Tech is supposed to come out today to try to fix it.

member for 10.5 years, 3507 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by billcows See Profile

• Location: Aurora,Arapahoe,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "fastest speed for the money"
Bad "dropped on and off for two days until a tech fixed the outside line."
Overall "Once the line was fixed this thing hums along great"

I have 6 people living in my house. total of 4 computers, 4 direct tv boxes, three gaming consoles, and cell phones using this connection. I had to go with comcast for the last couple of years as they were the only one who could give me the bandwith to meet my needs. Now Qwest just upgraded my area to the new vdsl2. I am now getting 40mbs down and 20mbs up. I pay $40.99 for it. I was getting 22mbs down and 5mbs up with comcast for $72. Just had to switch. so far it works great. I really dont need the 20 up but hey wth. I do admit that I had issues on the install. the modem died after two days but they sent a replacement overnight. My line was bad but the tech was out the next day and fixed it. That was a bit frustrating but I am saving $30 a month now so I was ok with it. My modem is the ZyXEL Q1000Z. Kinda cheep looking but it has been up for 6 days now. No special configs on it as I dont need them yet. But maybe in the future. My online gaming hasnt suffered at all. I did gain about 10 ms on my pings but still not too bad.

UPDATE 12/21/11

Left Qwest/CenturyLink for Comcast. Not sure whats going on over at the New Century Link but its not working. Bye Bye. Been with Comcast for 4 months and things are solid.

CenturyLink needs to pull their stuff together. Just killed my glowing review of them. I pay just a bit more with Comcast but at least my internet works.

Comments:

Review by tptec See Profile

• Location: Rio Rancho,Sandoval,NM
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Decent Upload speed"
Bad "Download has never reached even half of the advertised 7 meg in 6 months"
Overall "If I streamed movies, I would have to find another carrier."

19.95/Month for 7 Meg sounded like a bargain, but DL has yet to reach over about 3.1 since I switched from cable last summer. I see a number of people using Qwest/CenturyLink with the same issue so it is a nationwide scam to advertised unrealistic speed claims IMO.

Comments:

Review by FarmerBob See Profile

• Location: Littleton,Arapahoe,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "All three parts of the DSL service in one company."
Bad "Growth got the best of them."
Overall "11/11 - Update: Go elsewhere. Seriously."

·EarthLink
·ViaTalk
UPDATE (11/20/11):

Well the love stopped. The TTU team seems to be on the outside of actual info after the merger. Due to too many unnecessary complications that have arisen from the CL buyout, I have been forced to find another provider. No stability, speeds from 3Mbps to 24Mbps (am suppose to have 12). Leaving mid-December.

UPDATE (10/10):

Things have changed incredibly for the better. Although it took some ranting in forums which got me noticed by the Talk To Qwest Team that is all over now and who have done nothing but take excellent care of me. These people are sharp, work with and talk to you, not at you. It's quite refreshing and a comforting sign that things are looking up. Considerably. Qwest is coming of age nicely and with it their services and (mostly) support. I'm now at the 12Mbps tier and loving it.

Previous Review:

I had 10 Mbps SDSL with Sprint ION from 1998 to 2002 which was chased away by Qwest by not providing reseller services and right of way guaranteed by law. Sprint said it was easier and cheaper to stop the service than sue. I cried that day. ZERO problems for four years and 10 Mbps SDSL and four Digital Phone Lines for $120 a month. I then fled to several other providers that in the beginning promised the moon, but once again Qwest got in the way and they eventually went away or got real slow and expensive with lots of excuses (Speakeasy). So after years of having to move around Qwest finally offered ADSL at a half way reasonable (bundled) price. After having all the problems that I have had with third party companies not getting the support that they needed from Qwest and the fact that no matter what Qwest was going to be in the "loop", and I would get a far better price for the speed, I went with Qwest. My first indication of trouble should have been the botched install coordination. It took five different Sales Reps to get it right and two of them I knew from having worked there years ago.

In the beginning it was great. After time and growth in my area, my once pristine phone lines that once carried 10 Mbps SDSL, oh I'm 3300 feet from the CO, are all beaten up from the addition of additional lines. So from 10 Mbps, well 7 with Qwest to 4 if I am lucky. The final report was that the lines from the CO to the Crossbox, the first third of the loop, are damaged. But from the Crossbox to the house are perfect. So why won't they fix what they have broken. They won't really say hiding behind their acceptable speed policies. So here I sit at a distance the many would kill for with a service that is mediocre at best. Oh and Fibre won't be coming here for a couple of years since this area is just fine as it is now. Plus it's Fibre to the CO that will not do me any good.

So . . .

member for 14.2 years, 1636 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jcsimao See Profile

• Location: 85142
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "A large company with good overall performance"
Bad "Just bought out by CenturyLink. I believe tech support off shore now."
Overall "Good speed for the price"

Reliable low cost service

Comments:

Review by watmore See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Reliable, Cheaper than alternatives"
Bad "20/895 VDSL2 No more slow down in the evening"
Overall "works great!"

·PHONE POWER
·Norvado
·US Internet
I have had both Comcast and Qwest. Comcast (actually Time Warner at the time) was horrible. Very slow speeds, tech support called at least six times, several visits by tech support without resolution and frequently they made things worse. Finally made the correct move and got DSL.from Qwest.

Never had a service outage with Qwest. Never. Much cheaper too.

September 1, 2008 still happy with Qwest DSL. Upgraded to 3mbs. Will be excited when they offer VDSL2 in my area

May 25th, 2010 OK, I just accepted an offer from Qwest. 20mbs down. Just installed it. So far great. Reliably 19 down. Much more consistent speed than Comcast. Sees a little expensive compared to Comcast. Will have to make a decision once my "free" month is over.

January 22, 2011. Speeds slow way down in the evenings. Pings go from 25 during non-peak time to 237 in the evenings. Qwest says they will fix this, but no date given. Makes watching video almost impossible.

• Location: Longmont,Boulder,CO
Good "nothing"
Bad "Deceitful promotions, advertising, cost of services"
Overall "Not to be trusted, it will never cost what they tell you, there will always be fees, and more fees!"

These bastard play bait and switch, and it always
comes with exceptions, and fees for everything.

What they tell you on the phone is not anywhere near
what you get charged. And like a lawyer, you will get
page after page of fees, exception fees and bull in your
bill.

I'm getting rid of them, they are liars. Everything is designed
to get you by the balls, and keep you from leaving...

Don't trust them, and don't do any contracts

(review was emailed from domain lavabit.com)

Comments:

Review by XIII See Profile

• Location: Prescott,Yavapai,AZ
Good "Cheap, reliable"
Bad "can only get 1.5 or lower, take for ever to roll out capacity"
Overall "cheaper than cableone (aup is nicer too)"

Updated
CableOne recently rolled out new plans, cheaper now, I can get 5Mbps down for about $10 more than Qwest's 1.5 Mbps, Qwest has an unpublished soft cap, CableOne either has none(I would be going with this one), or a hard (with overages, $0.50/GB)

Qwest doesnt know if or when they will upgrade the speed in my area, Looking into CalbeOne now to make the switch.

For those two, the value for money rating is being downgraded. Reliability is still great.

Original Review
in prescott, only other provider is Cableone.net and they are expensive, and their AUP is very restrictive, so we went with qwest.

got the 1.5 service (only one available) $35/month
ordering was easy, install was easy (did it myself)
actiontech m1000 (qwest branded)

The qwest service is very reliable and the speed is almost always constant (896-1350ish). my only complaint with them is that they underestimated how many people wanted their 7 meg service (theres about 100-200 people off the same node) and they only provided enough for about 25-30% (according to a local rep). no one knows when they will upgrade capacity again (from corporate), hopefully something good will come out of the centurylink buyout (caused phone to go up by $5 though they deny this)

Comments:

Review by bufferoverru See Profile

• Location: Ottumwa,Wapello,IA
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Reliability, Fast Path"
Bad "Faster speeds are not available"
Overall "Quality connection - When the don't oversell!"

The service is very reliable. It hasn't been down once yet. My cable went down almost weekly for a few minutes, sometimes for an hour. I have Qwest Naked DSL so it is about 62$ a month.

Update 5-12-05
Trained at 7168 / 896 Kbps. I get about 6.4mbps down / 800kbps up.

Update 12-23-05
Still reliable, it has not been down that I know of.

Update 5-10-06
Still working great, Interleave was removed, improved pings

Update 12-05-06
Changed a few months ago to bundled POTS/DSL. The DSL cost is 35$/M for 7Mbps. I pay a total of 68$/M for the DSL and Qwest Choice Home with taxes.

Update 7-13-08
The connection is still good most of the time but on occasion I have problems obtaining full speed from Giganews.

Update 9-7-11
I no longer have Qwest for Internet or phone service. After waiting 6+ months for them to fix speed issues. They oversold here and needed new equipment. Most of the business customers I have switched too.

member for 12.3 years, 2464 visits, last login: 236 days ago

Comments:

Review by blondsparkey See Profile

• Location: Albuquerque,Bernalillo,NM

it sucks