Qwest.net page on DSLReports

Review by jon55105 See Profile

• Location: Saint Paul,Ramsey,MN
  • Telco party Qwest
  • CLEC party: Qwest
Good "Once installed it has worked flawlessly"
Bad "Took 12 months from order date to installation"
Overall "If they are already in your area your fine, but don't trust their installation time estimates."

Qwest once USWest is a fine DSL service provider and ISP. I contract with Qwest for both the DSL line and Megabit service - both at $49/month. The Good:I have used the service for 15 months now without a problem. In fact I have multiple machines connected to my Cisco 675 and I have good performance even with similaneous connections. I would suggest configuring the cisco 675 for NAT (see this page from visi.com for details) or this page from Qwest.Overall I would recommend this service with an external ASDL modem. The BAD:The difficulties I had were at the start of my order. I placed the order in Dec 1998 with an expected (at the time) installation date of Feb 1999. After mulitple delays the service was installed in June 1999. I had a difficult time getting Qwest (then USWest) to give me information on the delays. I would recommend using this service only if the service already exists in your area. If you wait for there installation schedule, you may be in for a long wait.

Comments:

Review by indranie See Profile

• Location: Bellerose,Queens,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
  • CLEC party: Verizon
Bad "Qwest is unreliable, unprofessional and in denial that there're and ISP. They're the worst company I've ever dealth with."
Overall "don't do qwest!"

:I wrote this late March 2000.

I signup for Qwest DSL service in January 2000. The first month of service
worked great. I was down for February and March. After many hours with Qwest
on the phone, the service seems to be working ok now. And even with the DLS
up now, email has problems every other day or so. It's a mess!

While I was down, Qwest told me that for every hour I'm down I'm entitled to
1 day free service. So, I receive a bill from Qwest and they billed me for
February and March and they didn't credit me for all the down time. My
sales-rep tells me that they're not suppose to credit my account for the
down time.

Would anyone pay for server they didn't have? NO! Which leads me to believe
that Qwest has nothing but idiots working for them. I don't recommend
anyone using QWEST as their ISP and DSL.

Whenever there is a problem and I call tech support, they respond is "dsl is
a new service and we're still working out the glitches." Guess what, I'm not
paying to be a beta tester. Qwest should pay me to beta test their service.

So, remember folks, save yourself a few years of your life and don't get
DSL just yet.

-----------------------
It's Mid September 2000 and using Qwest as an ISP still has not improve.
Ever other week I'm on the phone going over the same s.o.s with email being
down.

Qwest is the most unreliable and unprofessional company. I'm suggesting
that users report them the BBB.

I'm normally a very calm person but when I have to deal with qwest, I get
very rude and angry. Because they're so phony. arrrrggggggggg...

As an ISP, why does it take them 3 days to admit or realized that their
email server is down!?!??!

It's not going on the 5th day and my email access is still unavailable. After several calls tonight, I fould out that Qwest does not have technicians working 24/7 to fix problems. I would think that a problem as big as their email server being down which affects 1000's of customers would warrant a technician working at all hours to get it fix. But this is too much to expect from QWEST.

Qwest does not acknowledge they have problems. Nor do they even acknowledge letters when written to them.

here are some email addresses if you want to write and complain.
douglas.radcliff@qwest.com; JOhNATAN.TEEL@QWEST.COM; CARL.SNYDER@QWEST.COM; JOHN.GEE@QWEST.COM

member for 14.2 years, 12 visits, last login: 13.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by mtberman See Profile

• Location: Denver,Denver,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
  • CLEC party: Qwest
Good "reliable as a toyota"
Bad "like a toyota, their people are generic and unimpressive"
Overall "great value and you install it yourself"

I have had Qwest DSL for about seven months and have not had any
problems. It works great and was simple to install. No tech visit required.
If you understand the technology and follow the instructions then it's pretty
easy and reliable. Also, it helps to have a fairly new and fast computer
which has not been modified. If not, then watch out! The support's weak and
the customer service depends entirely on who you get on the phone. Some of
their employees are clueless. I have several friends who live nearby and also
have the service. One of my friends has had some problems. It simply "went down"\
one day and took over a week of calls and being on hold for five
to ten minutes before it was fixed. All of us live in old homes, pre-1925, with
mostly original copper lines. Apparently this is the set-up that works best with
their form of DSL. Overall, a great value and you do it yourself but the support's edgy.

Comments:

Review by sa28

• Location: Saint Paul,Washington,MN
Good "Not much. :(.. possibly the price, not too bad considering the other options. (cable is 50$+/mo)"
Bad "1)Connectivity, 2)Tech support, 3)Ability to troubleshoot effectively"
Overall "Dont buy unless its your only option."

I have been a DSL customer with USWest, now Qwest for almost a year. I
have had nothing but trouble. The first instance was when I was getting
poor tfer rates. I paid for the 256 line and was lucky to get above a
56K modem speed. I called and they balmed it on everything but their
service. After about 2 months of arguing they finally helped us out and
got our speeds up. Then
I moved into a new place and got thier DSL hoping that the last time was
just a fluke. But to my surprise the service was worse, frequent
disconnects, slow speeds (640 line, getting 256 or lower), and their
Customer Service reps we unwilling to help only offered me 15$ for my
trouble. I pay 45$/mo and they offered me 15$ for my months of bad
service.

Bad: Poor serivce, and bad Customer reps who dont know the techinacal
apsects of thier own products.

(review was emailed from domain uswest.net)

Comments:

Review by psprofessor See Profile

• Location: Renton,King,WA
  • CLEC party: Qwest
Bad "The service is deplorable,by far the most unprofessional Co to date."
Overall "if your modem is down you will be minumum 10days w/o service(any one in business can recognize this as unacceptable)"

We were not informed that we were using an outdated modem,when we were switched to a new type of connection(PPP)The process is not reversable.We discovered this through our own trouble shooting and very few of the Qwest rep's knew about this. So picture your business w/o service losing $$$$$ by the hour and watching your business grind to a halt.This by itself is in-excusable for business in 2000;but it gets much,much worse.We are told that we need to send the modem back to be approved,then wait till a new one can be released(4-5 days)each way.

One of several surly rep's told us we should have a back up(but you can only get these modems from QWEST), and if we had known about the ludicrous policy we would have purchased a case of modems!So after several atempts to reach a supervisor(minimum 1hr max 2hrs,we kept a log)We were told by the supervisor"when my car breaks down and I have an important meeting,I take a bus"

Yes,you realize that this is completely unprofessional.In fact he made this comment to our general manager of a interstate company.

We then sought to (take a bus) by buying a modem.No one was allowed to carry it, it is exclusive to Qwest(so much for the bus,they're owned by Qwest). Yes the phone comany of old is alive and well.

We were finally promised a modem would be sent out,then we were promised again,then we were promised again.No they were'nt over promising,they did not send it twice so far.

The supervisors they hired were as bad as the cheeseburger skits on SNL.

We found that were no other options for the dsl hook-up in the Seattle area so we were stuck with Qwest.THIS EXPLAINS THE HORRIBLE SERVICE.They dont care,they dont have to.

This stems from saving a paltry $300 part,that most business would lose in an hour of non-connection.That is the source of this and probably many tragedies.The FCC and the Attorney General should be foucusing on this kind of criminal behaivor because if you knew this before signing up w/Qwest you would never do it.

I did find a new company SSTdigital that will install the lines(kovad was not an option due to reviews at this web site)They provide local 4hr response,and business grade harware ,ie the little modem of grief.They provide more but I'll let readers discover more themselves.

If you have Qwest, you have been warned if you don't have Qwest.You have been warned.

Comments:

Review by CarlosRogers See Profile

• Location: Davis,Yolo,CA
Good "Solid Backbone and Good Service from the NOC. I always got a human to answer, never waited."
Bad "Difficult to get the issue to resolution if it goes beyond Qwest."
Overall "There are probably better providers out there for business."

I have to say, after having Qwest for nearly a year that all in all it is not a bad company. My big issue came when I had a relocate my service in the middle of my contract. I moved from 21,000 feet to 13,000 feet. Although I had to pay $225 to do this, they would not upgrade my service. To do this would have cost about $1200 plus $200 per month for the SDSL service (currently IDSL 128k). I couldn't cancel, so I forged ahead, and relocated.

The really bad news started when they forgot to file the paperwork with Rythums until after I moved (6 weeks after I notified them). Then, 6 more weeks had passed and they finally got me up and running (mostly PacBell's delay; however, would have only been a matter of days if the order delay hadn't occured).

Well, the system was trained up (green lights on the DSL link); however, the route couldn't be built by Rythums for nearly a week and a half. Then three days later, down in flames.

PacBell took the liberty of changing our system from a MidSpan to an AdTran amplifier. This is what get's ISDN-DSL (IDSL) out to your place. Well, the AdTran provides 200+ Volts of power to do this. After no less than 38 phone calls, 6 of those conferenced between the trouble order taker, the Qwest IP NOC and Rythums, we got an I/W tech (inside wiring tech). He quickly reviewed the wire and said he couldn't find any problems. Before he could leave, we started makeing phone calls. 6 hours later, the I/W tech met with the PacBell tech (a near-postal untrained tech) on site. The PacBell tech proceeded to place the 200V directly on the inside wire to the router. The Netopia router burst into flames and filled the office with smoke (I do have to note that the LAN side of the router continued to work great dispite the wild fire to the west on the circuit board - good job guys). Well, with a new router, a second telco box now on the inside of the garage with an AdTran DSL protector, I was running. For 1 day.

The circuit went down as fast as it went up. We had more than 8 tickets opened, each time closing as soon as the system retrained. The system was not reliable and required manual rebooting each time from the office. In the end Qwest's IP NOC had configured the wrong IPs, the wrong speed and the wrong equipment. All was resolved just in time for the replacement SDSL from InternetConnect to be installed.

Now, Qwest is reworking its self with US West. I can't tell if things will improve or not. I believe much of my trouble (and there is more that I won't go into) was due to the changes taking place. I wouldn't reject Qwest just because of this. I have to say, I have never had to hold when calling them, and there is a lot to be said for that.

member for 14.3 years, 168 visits, last login: 1.3 years ago

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR
Bad "Qwest DSL repairs: a solid test of whether you will really "go postal" or not"
Overall "anyone has to have better support, service, & internal systems than USWest now Qwest"

Qwest US West DSL has rotten service after the sale. Go to someone
else. Better be able to troubleshoot and solve it yourself if your DSL
goes wrong. Hours on the phone, technicians scheduled then service
orders disappear after waiting all day for the tech to show, all this
after calling a few days before the scheduled time & reconfirming. NO
information obtainable by one department if a different department
touched the order, and no committment or concern at getting the problem
solved. Fit their box for how to be handled, or hang out to dry on your
own. Write down every number you call, every ph # of people you are
forwarded to, every person's name you speak to, never hang up without a
repair ticket number, & maybe they'll be able to explain why their systems
still don't work. Be smart, be patient, be adamant, but what you
will really need is extraordinary LUCK because the odds are against you
for DSL customer service once you are all set up.

(review was emailed from domain teleport.com)

Comments:

Review by leexlee See Profile

• Location: Arlington,Arlington,VA

Lee G. Wall

lgconsulting@email.com

I am a co-founder of an Internet software startup.

After waiting five months for DSL service at my Arlington, VA office, and after three distinct installation visits over that period and after numerous hours of phone calls with Qwest, and their subcontractor Covad, my company has yet to receive DSL service.

I would very much like to convey the frustration and sheer anger with which I reflect on my experience with Qwest up to this point, but I would find that impossible to do in this space.

My company had been assured that 1100kbps DSL service was available to my company and would be installed within 45 days of my first call in October of 1999, and after Qwest failed to provide the service within this time, a second promise and third promise was made to my company, culminating with my company finally being told that service would be provided April of 2000.

Yesterday, after the third technician visit and yfailed installation', I spoke to a Qwest sales representative who, after some checking, informed me that the 1100kbps DSL service that I was promised in my very first call to Qwest is indeed not available, and that my company, after waiting five months, can only receive 144kbps service.

My company has incurred losses as a result of the unkept promises of Qwest. As I stated to the sales representative in the first call made to Qwest, the line was to be used for hosting my company's web site. Clearly, a company web site is key to a Internet software startup. The many hours that I and others at my company have spent tracking down and speaking to representatives concerning the lack of service can be added to the losses.

I have been told that I will not receive any consideration for discount on future service. Indeed, Qwest to date has made no effort at recompense. Back in January, Qwest invited me to purchase T1 service at four times the cost of DSL, they also mentioned a server hosting option that would cost even more.

It goes without saying that I have found the customer service that I have received to be not only below par, but pitiful for a company the size of Qwest. Representatives of Qwest have repeatedly blamed their subcontracted companies, and the local telephone company, Bell Atlantic, for the problems. Unfortunately, I did not sign up with these companies, I signed up with Qwest. These companies did not make any promises to my startup, but Qwest did.

Qwest strikes me as a company that is quick to make promises to customers and quite poor at executing. Clearly their management of the companies that actually do the implementation is abominable. The chain of knowledge about what is actually going on the customer's side or in the field is horribly broken. I had a customer service representative congratulate me on receiving service, when in fact the DSL technician had left my office for the third time shrugging his shoulders. There have been long blocks of time in which I could not even receive status on my DSL order. I have been told that I would not be given direct telephone numbers to departments which held that information, and that I would have to wait. Wait I did.

And wait I continue to do.

Comments:

Review by jmannitto See Profile

I am from NY and recently had Qwest provide me with DSL. The salesman was
very upfront with me in letting me know that it would take appoximately 30
days to install. (actually took 32 from the day I ordered)

The great thing about Qwest is that I got 2 static IP's, (not dynamic), and
that they gave me 2 e-mail accounts. It seems as if I would have been
installed much sooner but I had to wait on Bell Atlantic. My brother has
DSL.Net and he is having all sorts of problems.

I am glad about my decision. I strrongly urge anyone who is looking at DSL,
to look at Qwest. They may be a little higher in price, but the do get the
job done, and there is no hidden costs.

By the way,I received the residential line and am very happy with the
bandwidth I am receiving.

member for 15 years, 0 visits, last login: 15 years ago

Comments:

Review by pddsl See Profile

I recently had ordered DSL for my business through Qwest. After dealing with
Flashcom, I was quite shocked to find my sales rep not only knowledgable, but
very upfront as well. He told me what the (+)'s and (-)'s were when ordering
a Line.
Once my line was installed, I was quite surprised at the great speed I was
getting. Although I may have paid a little extra for their service, it was
well worth it. I had a little trouble getting my IP's straightened out, but
their tech support were able to get up and running right after the Covad
installer left. (And they picked up right away!) Bravo Qwest.