Qwest.net page on DSLReports
Closed to new reviews.

Review by Hanko See Profile

• Location: Eatonville,Pierce,WA
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Finally upgraded past 1.5Mb/864Kb to 20Mb/864Kb"
Bad "Interleaved, no service during power outage"
Overall "Only high speed internet available here other than T1 and Satellite."

Update: Centurylink bought out Qwest and within 7 months they upgraded this area to 12Mb/864Kb. Within 2 weeks they upped that to 20Mb/864Kb.

All the same issues listed below just faster download speeds. I would easily drop back to 12Mb if they would increase the upload speeds to 2 or 3Mb. I work out of my house so I have the "Small Business" plan that is really just residential without the caps and monitoring.

The price is much higher out here than in Tacoma where they have competition.

So far the Tech Support I have needed has only been when their system goes down and I call in to ask them please fix their problem. Usually fixed within 4 hours.

____________________________________________________________

Waited 7+ years for this to arrive. Was the first person to apply for it when they finished the remote DSLAM's at the end of our road. Less than 2500 feet from the box to my house but they will not sell me faster than 1.5/864. Spent lots of time talking with the installers and found out they are servicing the box with 6+T1 lines so everyone is interleaved. I would pay double to be able to get 7Mb/sec.

The order was processed and they sent me a 2wire2700hg-d that was pre-configured. No problems setting everything up since my entire house is already wired up with cat6 (already had a T1 for multiple years so I can do Tech Support out of the home office). Ordered 8 static IP's (5 usable).

When the power goes out I have an Alpha 1800VA UPS with 8 additional external batteries so I can still work for up to 8 hours without interruption. With the T1 it was no problem, but because the DSL dslams have no backup the line drops and I am without internet and no Vonage service. I knew this going in so I also added a phone line (not shown in the price above) so I could get calls.

Speed is only 1.2/568 even at the best of times, and the minumum ping times to the net are at greater than 80msec.

I have had problems getting Vonage to work well with the DSL line. It worked great on the T1 line, but drops calls and is many times choppy on both the send and receive sides. (I have already configured QOS to put Vonage traffic at the highest priority).

Browsing is normally fine but I have had many instances when I cannot connect to any website. Doing a Ping/Traceroute works fine. Switched to OpenDNS for the DNS servers and this helped but I still intermittently have problems.

If you are using the service for typical home use then Qwest is fine/good. If you are going to rely on them for a business then I would think carefully and compare the benefits of a T1. Make your decision carefully based on what you can do without when the power goes out. I'm saving about $445/month by switching but I do get annoyed when the power drops. Gives me time to catch up on entering all of the support calls into the database.

Generally I am satisfied with the service, but I knew exactly what I was getting into when I requested service.

Comments:
capcas

join:2009-01-13

DSL upgrade South praire

At least you got the faster speeds. Fiber was recently installed in the area and all I can get out of them for the past two months is were not done testing

Review by FarmerBob See Profile

• Location: Littleton,Arapahoe,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "All three parts of the DSL service in one company."
Bad "Growth got the best of them."
Overall "11/11 - Update: Go elsewhere. Seriously."

·EarthLink
·ViaTalk
UPDATE (11/20/11):

Well the love stopped. The TTU team seems to be on the outside of actual info after the merger. Due to too many unnecessary complications that have arisen from the CL buyout, I have been forced to find another provider. No stability, speeds from 3Mbps to 24Mbps (am suppose to have 12). Leaving mid-December.

UPDATE (10/10):

Things have changed incredibly for the better. Although it took some ranting in forums which got me noticed by the Talk To Qwest Team that is all over now and who have done nothing but take excellent care of me. These people are sharp, work with and talk to you, not at you. It's quite refreshing and a comforting sign that things are looking up. Considerably. Qwest is coming of age nicely and with it their services and (mostly) support. I'm now at the 12Mbps tier and loving it.

Previous Review:

I had 10 Mbps SDSL with Sprint ION from 1998 to 2002 which was chased away by Qwest by not providing reseller services and right of way guaranteed by law. Sprint said it was easier and cheaper to stop the service than sue. I cried that day. ZERO problems for four years and 10 Mbps SDSL and four Digital Phone Lines for $120 a month. I then fled to several other providers that in the beginning promised the moon, but once again Qwest got in the way and they eventually went away or got real slow and expensive with lots of excuses (Speakeasy). So after years of having to move around Qwest finally offered ADSL at a half way reasonable (bundled) price. After having all the problems that I have had with third party companies not getting the support that they needed from Qwest and the fact that no matter what Qwest was going to be in the "loop", and I would get a far better price for the speed, I went with Qwest. My first indication of trouble should have been the botched install coordination. It took five different Sales Reps to get it right and two of them I knew from having worked there years ago.

In the beginning it was great. After time and growth in my area, my once pristine phone lines that once carried 10 Mbps SDSL, oh I'm 3300 feet from the CO, are all beaten up from the addition of additional lines. So from 10 Mbps, well 7 with Qwest to 4 if I am lucky. The final report was that the lines from the CO to the Crossbox, the first third of the loop, are damaged. But from the Crossbox to the house are perfect. So why won't they fix what they have broken. They won't really say hiding behind their acceptable speed policies. So here I sit at a distance the many would kill for with a service that is mediocre at best. Oh and Fibre won't be coming here for a couple of years since this area is just fine as it is now. Plus it's Fibre to the CO that will not do me any good.

So . . .

• Location: Longmont,Boulder,CO
Good "nothing"
Bad "Deceitful promotions, advertising, cost of services"
Overall "Not to be trusted, it will never cost what they tell you, there will always be fees, and more fees!"

These bastard play bait and switch, and it always
comes with exceptions, and fees for everything.

What they tell you on the phone is not anywhere near
what you get charged. And like a lawyer, you will get
page after page of fees, exception fees and bull in your
bill.

I'm getting rid of them, they are liars. Everything is designed
to get you by the balls, and keep you from leaving...

Don't trust them, and don't do any contracts

(review was emailed from domain lavabit.com)

Comments:

Review by bufferoverru See Profile

• Location: Ottumwa,Wapello,IA
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Reliability, Fast Path"
Bad "Faster speeds are not available"
Overall "Quality connection - When the don't oversell!"

The service is very reliable. It hasn't been down once yet. My cable went down almost weekly for a few minutes, sometimes for an hour. I have Qwest Naked DSL so it is about 62$ a month.

Update 5-12-05
Trained at 7168 / 896 Kbps. I get about 6.4mbps down / 800kbps up.

Update 12-23-05
Still reliable, it has not been down that I know of.

Update 5-10-06
Still working great, Interleave was removed, improved pings

Update 12-05-06
Changed a few months ago to bundled POTS/DSL. The DSL cost is 35$/M for 7Mbps. I pay a total of 68$/M for the DSL and Qwest Choice Home with taxes.

Update 7-13-08
The connection is still good most of the time but on occasion I have problems obtaining full speed from Giganews.

Update 9-7-11
I no longer have Qwest for Internet or phone service. After waiting 6+ months for them to fix speed issues. They oversold here and needed new equipment. Most of the business customers I have switched too.

Comments:

Review by blondsparkey See Profile

• Location: Albuquerque,Bernalillo,NM

it sucks

Comments:

Review by Bradmph See Profile

• Location: Spokane,Spokane,WA
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "? Nothing so far has been good with my experience with Qwest"
Bad "Customer service center is the worst service center I have ever experienced."
Overall "Document everything you request for service. Record your conversations with the service center."

We ordered the 40/20 DSL plan with the modem. After receiving modem, we were told we needed a new dedicated line installed in house. After I told them no way, they requested modem back since they said it was for a dedicated line only. They resent a new modem. After install the modem could only get 7/1 Mbps instead of the 40/20 we requested. During one of the calls to the center to try and fix the modem, they sold my gullible wife a damn package plan. Pissed me off since I was the only one on the account. To get her to be able to make the decision for a new plan, they changed the account into her name. After finding out from Qwest tech that the modem was crap, we sent it back for a new one. Now the new modem gets about 15-17Mbps down and 1.5 up. Tech said call billing to get credit for paying for a 40/20 plan since speeds were never achieved. I called billing and explained what the problem was and requested a credit, plus I asked why my bill went from $0 to over $300 in 2 months. Well, the jerk from Qwest, Named BEA / Employee# PXRICH3 told me that I couldn't get a credit and told me that my plan wouldn't allow me to get a credit. She explained that I wasn't a new customer, BS...it was my second month with a brand new service. The bottom line was that everything I was told when I ordered the service was a lie according to BEA. She was pulling answers to my questions right out of the Qwest BS book as far as I was concerned. It really pisses me off that I made a perfectly clear request for a service and was told by the sales staff what I would be getting and the price I would pay. Then somehow everything changes in Qwest's favor and they try to say that my service doesn't cover that or this is the service I ordered. I am not stupid and I hate being treated by some stinking corporate company rep like I wasn't there the day I made the service order. Qwest, you can F.O. and die as far as I am concerned.

PS. There are more details then described above that caused the issues in my service. There were alot of problems with over billed, underachieved net speeds, charges for items I never requested. I did not want to type a novel here, but just get the anger of the issue I have had with Qwest and their dirty back door billing techniques and sales pitching BS schemes they used on Us.

• Location: Seattle,King,WA
Good "Let me think about it..."
Bad "Signal drops 10+ times a day for long periods at a time; almost scammed out of promo gift card until I threatened legal action"
Overall "Another company that's too big for it's own good that can't properly service the customers they take money from"

I have had it with Qwest. For the past several months, service has been
intermittent. At first it would go out about 5-6 times a day, and only for
about two-three minutes each time. Now, for the past 3 weeks or so, it has
been going out at least 10 times a day, and for 5 - 20 minutes each time. We run a business from home.

When I call in the tech support makes us pull cords in and out, shut things
off and on, etc. They don't check right off to see if it might be a problem
with the Qwest signal or area, nor are they ever able to offer any suggestions
besides having someone come out to work on the line, which we may or may not
be charged for. Every time I call in it is a 40 minute ordeal at the
least. I don't trust that they will be honest if they come out here and do
work on the line. If it's my line, why do I read complaints from literally
hundreds of people who say that their service is the same? I'd like to know
what is really going on and why we can't ever get a steady signal. If it's
our location, why not be honest? We were told we couldn't get 7mbp's because
of our area so we only get 3 for the same price, and we don't even get that
speed. I wish there were more choices and I hope service gets better with
Centurylink.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by icresponse See Profile

• Location: La Pine,Deschutes,OR
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "There is something better than dial-up!"
Bad "Fastest speed usuable is the lowest package."
Overall "No other choice when you live out here. Well, Sat... maybe...."

Fastest speed usuable is the lowest package.
There is something better than dial-up!
Reliable though slow.

Comments:

Review by frep420 See Profile

• Location: Little Rock,Pulaski,AR
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "At least I have something"
Bad "They cancelled my install without even letting me know."
Overall "I would go cable in a heartbeat, these guys suck. :("

I was stuck using Qwest.net for my home internet. I called for service after learning the local cable company was not available. They cancelled the initial install because they couldn't get my old number switched over. They never called, and when I called the morning of, they told me they couldn't do it that day. I begged and pleaded, I didn't want to be without internet for another month almost, so they said they would see what they could do.

I saw a service truck parked down the road from my house, I ran out and asked if he was installing my internet today, he said no, but checked out my line anyway. He looks and says, it's fine, they will turn it on for you. There was no "install" just a remote switch at HQ.

I haven't even had a dial tone in almost a year. When I did finally call for a service call, the technician left, never contacted me. When I called to check status, I was told that job was complete. I waited for my bill to see if I was charged, I wasn't so I called back, they said "the technician could not get in the property, the gate was locked." That is why I gave them my number, I always lock my gate. That was a couple of months ago.

I wish I could change ISPs, but 3g/4g WiFi hotspots are not feasible, and satellite has horrible low level up-link speeds, if any.

Comments:

Review by WCarp See Profile

• Location: Omak,Okanogan,WA
  • Telco party Qwest
Bad "They provide Very Poor DSL Service"
Overall "Do Not recommend!"

There have been many problems with Qwest's DSL service. The first problem was the modem failed around a month or two after I started. One BIG problem is Support. The first level people are not very well trained. One told me to buy a LAN cable since it was bad. I went out and bout one, and the new cable did not resolve the problem.

One very important thing is that I am not getting the download speed I am paying for---which is irking. At first, they credited me a few times, but after the problem has continued for several months, they refused---even the Corporate Office refused and have not been professional about this very important issue. Basically, you don't get what you pay for. That's OK with them!

At: »www.hdinternet.com/?refCode=RES0···ithphone, they advertise "Speeds stay fast. Prices stay low." This is false advertising concerning the speeds. I'm supposed to get 5 Mb/s download. A few days ago, I ran a test from their Web site speed test and the download speed was 0.760 Mb/s and upload was 0.049 Mb/s! When asked about getting a credit for the last period of slow speeds, I was told by Candas in the Corporate office that they would only work on one issue at a time. Finally, yesterday, when asked again, she refused to credit me. I said something like "This is not a good business practice." and she said something unintelligible and hung up.

To top it all off, they decided to change the e-mails to a different place and then I stopped receiving e-mails but I could receive them. After contacting the Corporate office about this problem, an upper level Support person messed things up and a substantial number of important e-mails were lost. There was no further response, so I called the Corporate office again and basically asked that this be fixed. Finally someone called two days later but didn't fix everything. Now it is approximately a week and a half later and it still is not resolved---plus I am supposed to try to retrieve the lost emails from a back up by my self.