Qwest.net page on DSLReports
Closed to new reviews.

Review by dragona33 See Profile

• Location: Roswell,Chaves,NM
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "great value, have experianced a 99% up time, have had account for 3 1/2 years and they have only been down twice."
Bad "none that i can think of to be honest"
Overall "i highly recommend qwest dsl."

I have had Qwest for about 3 1/2 years. The uptime has been incredible and their customer service is top notch. I purchased their 7Mb/768Kb service and could not be happier. I opted to use an aftermarket DSL Gateway instead of their provided equipment from the beginning. The only other option was Cableone and I was not about to use them. My order was processed quickly and I was on the net within 72 hours. I will be a life long Qwest user and proud to be one.

(9-3-3-14)

I thought I should update this review. CenturyLink bought out Qwest a couple years ago and I am no longer a happy customer. I have had several periods of downtime lasting as long as a weekend. They are dead slow when it comes to upgrades. and I am only getting 886Kb\s upload.....ON A 15Mb\s CONNECTION, I called them a few weeks ago about a possible upgrade, and the agent sounded like Chong. "Hey man, like we don't got any faster internet there, man." I swear on all that is holy, that he said it like that. Qwest was great. CenturyLink killed it. Oh yea and like my bill nearly doubled. Sadly I am starting to seriously consider CableOne. Which is in this area, is only marginally better.

Comments:

Review by fastguy94416 See Profile

• Location: Rochester,Olmsted,MN
Good "Stable connection. Price was better than competition at the time I ordered (March 2013)"
Bad "Not as fast as rated, install was bothersome"
Overall "Just not fast enough anymore"

·Charter
March 2013 edit: switched back from cable to 40Mbps down, 20Mbps on a newly upgraded VDSL2 node. Tech support said I was the second customer on the node. I have awful wiring in my house, but I am at >20dB SNR and 15dB attenuation!

I don't get the rated 40/20, but so far it's been stable. I'm at $30+$6 modem lease. I don't know how long I'll stay with them.

March 2011 edit:
I started at $47 a month w/free modem. This was adequate at the time for 3 Mbps. About a year later I was silently re-provisioned to 4 Mbps, which was neat.

The cost of the local cable co. internet started to drop, so I asked Qwest about that, and they let me out of my 2 year deal and dropped me to $30 a month. However, there are no plans to get FTTN in my area, so I've switched to cable as of 3/13/11.

The real kicker was when the entire network became congested from 6-10pm every day. I might have stuck it out for another 6 months with Qwest had that not been the case.

Comments:

Review by Bbrown49 See Profile

• Location: Ankeny,Polk,IA
Good "Easy setup"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Best value for the area"

·Mediacom
I was recently contacted by Qwest and told I could upgrade my service to 5/768. I ordered via chat and was upgraded in less than 7 days. I was told my Actiontec GT701-WG modem would work. The day of the upgrade I received a Actiontec® Q1000 that I did not order. GT701-WG did not work and had to use the Q1000. No charge for the new modem and got a free month of DSL. I did have to have a field tech come to the house to unplug the phone connections from all outlets but one to achieve the speeds promised.

Update - I recently noticed 7/768 service to my house, but only saw it through my upgrade option on MyAccount web page. I 'chatted' with a Qwest'/CenturyLink rep about the service. She confirmed it was available. I said since I was paying for 7 meg service and was only getting 5 meg, I should be 'upgraded' for no cost. She could not do that. I emailed TalkToUs@centurylink.com 3 times and the main office. Only the main office replied stating I had to call in. After 30 days, I finally got a reply from TalkToUs@centurylink.com telling me I would be upgraded for no additional charge. 3 days later, no improvement. I 'chatted' with a CenturyLink rep who sent out a field rep. The next day I was at 7/768 rate.

Update - I contacted CenturyLink about upgrading my service to 12meg. Initial offer was to upgrade for $57 a month, price for life. I explained Mediacom was running a promo for $20 a month first year, $30 the 2nd. She referred me to their Retention dept. Got a really good rep (Brian) who offered a 1 year commitment and promo of $25 a month, $50 a month after one year. Was upgraded 5 days later. Getting 10.8 meg download using CenturyLink speed test site.

Update - In July 2012, contacted CenturyLink via on line chat because my modem was not training at 12 meg. After testing they sent someone out to check my line. The tech called me and told me my port was bad and it needed to be replaced. Would take 2 -3 weeks. He dropped my speed to 7 meg and told me to contact CenturyLink after 4 weeks to up my speed back to 12 meg. I contacted CenturyLink 4 weeks later and was told they had no record of the conversation and said they were not going to replace the port. No adjustment to my bill and leaving me at 7 meg. Not happy about the situation. I have decided to switch to Mediacom to get the 12 meg service.

Comments:

Review by UHF See Profile

• Location: Independence,Buchanan,IA
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "connection never drops"
Bad "not super fast"
Overall "excellent value"

·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
DSL was installed and working on time. Download speed is 7000, I'm getting very close to that in speed tests (around 6500) and seeing uploads of around 750 (896 advertised).

In six years I've had one extended outage caused by an outside plant issue. After many calls to complain, they finally got someone to come fix it. At the time they were very busy due to flood damages in Cedar Rapids that flooded a central office there.

I've only needed tech support once, to retrieve the user/password for my modem, and they were quick to provide the requested information.

Even with faster cable speeds available I am not inclined to change providers. I'm very happy with Qwest DSL. I'm currently saving $18/mo by being on the "Price For Life" promo with a DirecTV bundle.

member for 12.5 years, 5356 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
jharvey6

join:2002-12-20
Minneapolis, MN

QWEST/CENTURYLINK Service

Just went through a TWO DAY OUTAGE!!!. This company and it's service SUCK!!!

Review by Hanko See Profile

• Location: Eatonville,Pierce,WA
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Finally upgraded past 1.5Mb/864Kb to 20Mb/864Kb"
Bad "Interleaved, no service during power outage"
Overall "Only high speed internet available here other than T1 and Satellite."

Update: Centurylink bought out Qwest and within 7 months they upgraded this area to 12Mb/864Kb. Within 2 weeks they upped that to 20Mb/864Kb.

All the same issues listed below just faster download speeds. I would easily drop back to 12Mb if they would increase the upload speeds to 2 or 3Mb. I work out of my house so I have the "Small Business" plan that is really just residential without the caps and monitoring.

The price is much higher out here than in Tacoma where they have competition.

So far the Tech Support I have needed has only been when their system goes down and I call in to ask them please fix their problem. Usually fixed within 4 hours.

____________________________________________________________

Waited 7+ years for this to arrive. Was the first person to apply for it when they finished the remote DSLAM's at the end of our road. Less than 2500 feet from the box to my house but they will not sell me faster than 1.5/864. Spent lots of time talking with the installers and found out they are servicing the box with 6+T1 lines so everyone is interleaved. I would pay double to be able to get 7Mb/sec.

The order was processed and they sent me a 2wire2700hg-d that was pre-configured. No problems setting everything up since my entire house is already wired up with cat6 (already had a T1 for multiple years so I can do Tech Support out of the home office). Ordered 8 static IP's (5 usable).

When the power goes out I have an Alpha 1800VA UPS with 8 additional external batteries so I can still work for up to 8 hours without interruption. With the T1 it was no problem, but because the DSL dslams have no backup the line drops and I am without internet and no Vonage service. I knew this going in so I also added a phone line (not shown in the price above) so I could get calls.

Speed is only 1.2/568 even at the best of times, and the minumum ping times to the net are at greater than 80msec.

I have had problems getting Vonage to work well with the DSL line. It worked great on the T1 line, but drops calls and is many times choppy on both the send and receive sides. (I have already configured QOS to put Vonage traffic at the highest priority).

Browsing is normally fine but I have had many instances when I cannot connect to any website. Doing a Ping/Traceroute works fine. Switched to OpenDNS for the DNS servers and this helped but I still intermittently have problems.

If you are using the service for typical home use then Qwest is fine/good. If you are going to rely on them for a business then I would think carefully and compare the benefits of a T1. Make your decision carefully based on what you can do without when the power goes out. I'm saving about $445/month by switching but I do get annoyed when the power drops. Gives me time to catch up on entering all of the support calls into the database.

Generally I am satisfied with the service, but I knew exactly what I was getting into when I requested service.

Comments:
capcas

join:2009-01-13

DSL upgrade South praire

At least you got the faster speeds. Fiber was recently installed in the area and all I can get out of them for the past two months is were not done testing

Review by rapsure See Profile

• Location: Logan,Cache,UT
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Very fast and reliable Internet"
Bad "Speed only available in select locations."
Overall "The service is extremely stable."

I have now upgraded my Internet speed to 40Mbps/20Mbps Down/Up service from Centurylink. The speed is very fast and reliable. The only problem that I have is I haven't had a major use for this much bandwidth but I sure like have the capability to be able to use the speed.

Now that I've had the service for a couple of weeks I consider the service alright. I decided to switch from an independent ISP to Qwest to save money. The cost of an independent and the DSL line is about 27 dollars more. The cost of just the line is two dollars less than having the line and Qwest as the ISP.

I've now had to contact tech support more than once since switching. The first day was when the ISP was switched and I needed the login credentials and the tech support agent gave me the wrong information. I had to contact tech support later on and finally got the correct credentials.

The second incident was when the Internet was running below the speed that it was supposed to which was on February 13. I pay for 5mbps/896kbps service which I was only getting approximately 1.5mbps/300kpbs service and so I called. The issue seemed to be fixed, however the tech also put in a request to have the DSLAM inspected claiming that it was overloaded. So then on Monday in the morning the Internet goes down. My modem before the request would only sync up 5120kbps/800mbps and on Monday morning the modem started to sync at 5120mbps/896kbps which is the full speed, but the ppp client wouldn't login. The tech ended up coming to my apartment in the afternoon and worked on the telephone cabling at my apartment. During this time my modem was syncing at the max speed and so I was a little surprised that he was at the apartment. However he seemed to insist on working on it until his diagnostic modem would sync at the full speed because his diagnostic modem would sync at 4800kbps/896kbps. The tech switched the wires that the line was connected to and with the change he got his equipment to sync at full speed, but then my Sangoma S518 modem wouldn't sync at the full rate. In the end to bypass the ugly wiring in the apartment we ran a cat 5e cable to the distribution box for the apartment building and drilling a hole in the corner of the window of my apartment. Now there was only a single plug connecting my end which was at the modem. However during all of this tech support going on my modem would sync but pppd wouldn't authenticate to the authentication server.

Using a qwest modem the modem synced and logged on which the tech brought with him. A new nice and shiny modem and it was able to sync at the full rate and logged in. Now I had my setup configured for PPPoA and the modem the technician brought was configured for PPPoE. When I changed my modem to use PPPoE LLC over ATM I was able to get my non-Qwest S518 ADSL modem to authenticate. So with all of this I started out with PPPoA and ended up needing to use PPPoE.

During the second tech support request I started out with 5120kbps/800kbps and ended up with 5120kbps/896kpbs which is good. In addition to the change in speed I had PPPoA/PPPoE as options and now all I have is PPPoE. The new PPPoE seems to have QoS which seems to make all of the connections balance better. I gained and lost in the end.

I don't like that PPPoE has an MTU of 1492 which is lower than the standard. PPPoA has an MTU of 1500 which is the Ethernet standard and makes it very convenient for the rest of the Internet. I overcame the MTU issue by enabling MTU clamping in iptables on the router.

The techs could have left the DSLAM alone and my line alone and I probably wouldn't have complained. Now that they sort of insisted on fixing my line it is done. Well with my cat 5e going directly from my modem to the distribution box both of our equipment achieves the specified rate. I wasn't too concerned about his modem not getting the rate.

I do have this to say, "don't talk to the overseas techs." The first time I talked to the overseas rep I was given incorrect login credentials for the ppp login. The second time I get a lot of work that didn't necessarily need to be done even though in the end I got the issue fixed.

I have a 100% success rate with the state side tech support and a essentially about a 45% on the overseas.

The February 13th support call ended up using my afternoon of February 14th which is way more time than I wanted to devote to the problem especially when I sort of considered the issue resolved when the gateway was changed on the 13th and I was getting my full speed after the change.

After I have used the connection for several months I had to switch from my trusty Sangoma S518 adsl card to the old Qwest Actiontec GT701 to get full sync speed during the summer. I've been fine with the change since I switch the firmware to openwrt on the modem. Everyday I get consistent performance on the network with a ping deviation of what I get on an Ethernet connection of less than 1ms. I've also tested my ping time to major sites and it is less than what Comcast gets in the area even though Comcast offers much higher bandwidth. Comcast's ping deviation also isn't very good which is very important for my VoIP connection. The best call quality is when my ping deviation is less than 1ms.

member for 10.9 years, 502 visits, last login: 1.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by dslmike See Profile

• Location: Surprise,Maricopa,AZ
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Rock solid connection"
Bad "nothing, really"
Overall "Getting what I paid for, can't ask for more than that"

Had problem with Comcast in Colorado with oversubscribed neighborhood nodes, so decided to try DSL when we moved to Phoenix. Qualified for 7 mbps on my line. Installation was smooth. At one point I ran into some congestion problems at night, but one phone call moved me to a different circuit, and haven't had problems since. Speed tests run at 6.4-6.5 meg consistently, day or night. SNR usually in the mid 20's. Wish I could get the 20mbps package, but I guess I'm just getting greedy.

Update (29 April 2011):
I guess more people signed up for DSL, and as time went on, I only got full speed during non-prime time. During weekday evenings, I'd crawl back down to 2 mbps max. Numerous calls back and forth with support confirmed what I already suspected: the DSLAM I was connected to was far to oversubscribed and saturated. I finally wrote a letter to Q headquarters in Denver, basically pleading for help, and I got it!

A gentleman from the executive customer service team, Chris, first broke the bad news and again confirmed the situation of the saturation. And he also said that no upgrade was in the offing. But what he did offer was to convert me to the new IP-DSL Qwest was installing, and pretty much set me up with the same pricing i had before. This required a new modem (Actiontec Q1000), which he sent for free.

My service was back to full speed, day or night, prime time or not. Since then I have upgraded further to 12/5, and I get all of that, even during prime time. My wife really likes the upload speed for uploading photos to Facebook. So now I'm paying a little more than before, but it's worth it!

Here's some numbers from my modem. I think they look pretty good, although I admit I'm not an expert.

SNR Downstream: 32 dB
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream : 0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream : 0

Update (19 May 2012):

My service is still solid! On my 12/5 plan I still get it all, but up and down, even during prime time in the middle of the week. My numbers are still holding up pretty well.

Down Up
SNR 32 dB 22 dB
Attenuation: 14 dB 2 dB
Power: 13.7 dBm 7.1 dBm

Knock on wood.....

Comments:

Review by m0unds See Profile

• Location: Albuquerque,Bernalillo,NM
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Price is reasonable, hardware was free, speeds are good"
Bad "horribly uncoordinated install/order process"
Overall "qwest is a good deal, but not necessarily cheaper than cable"

I ordered my DSL line from qwest.com on 3/26/09. The order itself went without a hitch; I received my confirmation email which included instructions to monitor my order status using qwest's "myaccount" system. (the email said to register to view status) After attempting to register for "myaccount" with the naked DSL phone number I was given, I found out that myaccount is only available to qwest subscribers with active service in one form or another. so i had no way to track the status of my order. this was a bit distressing to me because i've had DSL from two CLECs previously, and both had status pages that let you check nearly any aspect of the process from provisioning to truck rolls and what have you.

after waiting 24 hours and still having trouble getting in to myaccount, i contacted support via live chat (which is handy) and was told that it was only available to current subs and i was not eligible. i went on dslr to try and find an order status URL, but the only available one is no longer accessible. i attempted contacting qwest again on monday to get the tracking number for the modem (i live in an apartment and it's easier for me to use quantum to notify me of delivery than try calling the office to verify delivery) and they didn't have one for me. i tried again on tuesday (3/31) and was able to get a tracking number, but it was not valid so i had to re-contact them again to get the correct one. the modem arrived on 4/1 like they stated it would, and i hooked it up and had it ready to go between the window of 0800-1700 that i was given during the order process.

1745 rolled around and the line still wasn't active and i had a funny feeling something was wrong, so i contacted support once again to find out what was going on. i found out from the tech that the order had not been placed in the workflow for the day and had not been completed. they stated they would add it to the evening workflow and it should be available within 2-3 hours. if not, the tech said, i should either call support or use the online chat. i waited 5 hours and contacted qwest again via chat because the line still wasn't up. the tech informed me that the repair order they'd used to invoke the service initiation had been completed but there was an "order problem" and i'd need to call sales in the morning (4/2).

i called sales at 0800 on 4/2 and first spoke to a sales rep who checked the order and said there was nothing wrong with it and had me hold while he transfered me to the repair department. every person i'd spoken to until this point had been extremely pleasant and as helpful as they could be. the representative from the repair department, however, was a cold, rude woman who transferred me mid-sentence to another department. this final woman was excellent and took very good care of me, apologizing for the situation and she was able to escalate the issue and get it taken care of. the issue was something with the pairs they had allocated in the RT having issues. the agent took care of getting dispatch notified to complete the install today and gave me a time of 1600 for completion. at 1609, my line was active and provisioned at 7168kbps.

I do have a feeling, though, that if I hadn't been as persistent as I was, that I would still be waiting for someone to figure out what the heck is going on. For that reason, i rate the install coordination low. I'll revisit my review in a while, once I've had a chance to use it a bit and see if I'm still feeling pretty good about it.

i ran a speed test and got right around 6000kbps/500kbit, which is within the spec for the line. i did a few traceroutes to servers i manage and to some gaming servers i play on, and was pleasantly surprised by the lack of jitter on the line. coming from Comcast, who had in the last 2 weeks gone from great to horrendous (loss, latency, jitter, etc) to a nice stable DSL line was great. first hop latency is a bit high due to interleaving, but i contacted support again to the get line placed on a fastpath profile and had a ticket submitted to have it completed on my first attempt. so far, so good.

CPE: Actiontec M1000 (not all that great)

Location (there is a crazy lack of reviews from NM residents): Northwest Albuquerque (Ellison & Golf Course area)

*EDIT 4/9/09*

After evaluating the connection for a week and dealing with actual tech support reps via their online chat system, I've given them a higher rating for reliability and for tech support. I submitted a ticket via online chat to have interleaving disabled on my very healthy line. It was completed this afternoon and interleaving is disabled. First hop latency went from 30ms to 6ms. I'll revisit my review again in a few months.

*EDIT* 11/8/09

Qwest made FTTN available at my location and I immediately bit and signed up for the 12mbit tier. The install (at the CO and their network) wasn't completed by 1700 on the install date, but a quick chat with Qwest online fixed that. Unfortunately, my line developed some serious issues and my VDSL circuit was only able to sync at 6.5mbit. After bringing the internal wiring up to code, I'm running at 12.1mbit and am happy. I'll continue using Qwest for the foreseeable future.

*EDIT* 02/13/2010

Starting a couple weeks ago, I was experiencing some serious latency issues during the hours of 1900-2300 every night. I immediately recognized it as an oversold condition of some sort and contacted Qwest. The first tech I spoke to looked at line stats, etc and told me that everything was too solid to submit a ticket. I used their TalktoQwest service via twitter to request that it be escalated and checked out. After some phone calls, a bunch of emails exchanged and a tech visit, my fears were confirmed. The RT my circuit uses was oversold because of the promotion of the new FTTN service leading to higher-than-anticipated sales. Luckily, I was able to get out of my contract and move to Comcast until I get moved to a new residence later this year that will be on a different RT. At that time, I will absolutely be resuming service with Qwest.

*EDIT* 11/28/2010

In April, we moved to a newer area of Albuquerque (still in 87114) and as I'd said, I resubscribed with Qwest. I ordered the 20/5mbit speed tier, and it worked great from april til this month. Starting sometime this month, Qwest started offering their "any speed tier for $19.99/6 mos" promo for new customers. Shortly after we started seeing the ads on TV, my latency during peak hours started to creep back up again. I attempted contacting Talk to Qwest again because they were such a big help before, but unfortunately, this time, I didn't hear back from them. First hop latency for my connection hovers around 200-225ms from 1900-0000 every week night, with slightly less latency on the weekends. I'm going to trial Comcast out in this new area again, hoping that maybe I won't experience the issues I had with them as well (jitter, congestion, etc)

If I hear back from Qwest sometime in the next few days, I'll let them try and figure out what they can do about the congestion and latency, but I'm not terribly hopeful. Just another case of hideous oversubscription.

*EDIT* Forgot to re-edit this after the last edit. As of December 2010, I've been with Comcast, and as of June 2011, with Comcast Business. Centurytel finished their acquisition of Qwest and that's pretty much killed any desire I have to ever use DSL in this market again.

Comments:

Review by Rush8112 See Profile

• Location: Altoona,Polk,IA
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Fast set up and is up all the time"
Bad "Tech Support is not like it was"
Overall "Ok speed for the price"

I got Qwest connect silver with windows live back in July 2007. I got the 1.5Mbps package. Speed test show 1.3Mbps. I pay 36.99 a month and I have the Actiontec M1000 Modem
I'm happy with the service and everything work with little to no down time

10/12/2011 Qwest is now Centurylink

I seen no trouble or down time or anything off on my bill so far so good. Now If They wound upgrade us to a higher speed

3/11/2012

They are upgrade the area to faster speeds let's hope all go good with little to no trouble . They said they hope to have it done in June or July with speed 5MBPS to 20MBPS

Comments:

Review by Chongo See Profile

• Location: Phoenix,Maricopa,AZ
  • Telco party Qwest

Qwest is now CenturyLink I have the 12mbps ADSL2+ service, waiting for the VDSL2. I replaced my Motorola 3347 modem with an actiontec q1000 because the moto was blocking ewtn.mobi