InReach Internet page on DSLReports

Review by jimmythesnak See Profile

Good "+"
Bad "+"
Overall "+"

Comments:

Review by chazb28 See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA
Good "nice rep"
Bad "can't deliver"
Overall "too many issues that took too long to resolve"

I've had Inreach as my ISP since mid-2001, and when I moved I decided to stick with them as I've enjoyed nearly 100% uptime and great down/up speeds with no latency issues. I called them up two or three weeks before the move and hoped to get the service available on move-in date, 2/6/04. Unfortunately, since my phone line wasn't activated until 2/5, Inreach needed to wait until SBC updated their billing records to be able to build the circuit. That took another week. Then, I noticed the DSL modem was getting a connection (steady green light), but I couldn't ping the Inreach router. So, Inreach arranged for Covad to come to my home and troubleshoot, which took another week. The tech watched my packets get all the way to Idiom (?) before getting dropped. He was able to resolve that during the visit. After he left, I noticed the connection seemed a little slow so I did a speed test. It measured at 600/100, despite ordering 1500/384. I did the test again and again with different configurations (modem direct to laptop, modem to router, etc.) and got the same 600/100 result. Put in a call to tech support and they took the info and said they would look into it and call me the next day. That night, I noticed a 128K audio stream kept dropping so I did a tracert to look at the latencies. They were in the THOUSANDS with tons of dropped packets.

I have been on the phone with tech support numerous times and the issues with bandwidth and latencies still stand. I don't get it...I only moved one city block, and the Covad tech said I was getting a "very strong" signal and that I "should scream". Also suspicious is the fact that Inreach offers a 600/100 plan, but that wouldn't explain the latencies. As of this morning my rep has offered to drop my pricing down to a 600/100 level, but I find that completely unacceptable at almost $100/month, even if my company is paying for it. Plus, internet gaming is out of the question at this point.

Update, 48 hours later: Yesterday morning, I got a call from my rep at a little after 8AM (!) with instructions to cycle power on my modem and router. I did, and was pleasantly surprised to see 1100 down, but my upload was still 100. I did some traceroutes and saw that, for the most part, the latencies weren't that bad. Unfortunately, that did not hold true as by the afternoon my latencies were in the thousands again, with tons of dropped packets. Another call to tech support AND my rep, but last night when I got home, nothing had changed. I tried a 56k audio stream, and it dropped out after like 10 minutes!

This morning, I ran a quick test and saw latencies....in the 20s?! All day, I have been testing, and my latency issues seem to have been resolved...20-30ms hops with the occasional 150-200ms laggard. Unfortunately, my upload is still at 100 which sucks. Informed rep, got brief reply back a few minutes later but didn't promise anything.

Update, 24 hours later: after running home to a promised 3:45PM tech support call, it takes 20 minutes to get a Covad tech on the other line (Inreach tech support conferenced us). Turns out that Inreach doesn't sell the 1500/384 package any longer...only a 1500/100 deal. Tech support taking issue to rep and management. This is Friday, I suspect I won't hear anything 'til Monday.

Update, 48 hours later: latency issues are back with a vengeance...hops in the 2,000ms to 4,000 ms range, sometimes timing out. I might as well be on dial-up. uuuuuuuuggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh

Update, 24 hours later: I ordered service from another ISP.

Update, one month later: continue to be billed despite canceling service. They couldn't fill the terms, yet they still want to hold me to the contract!!! PLEASE JUST LET THIS GO, Inreach...I've been through enough DShell with you. I was told by not just my sales rep, but also a tech support guy, that the contract couldn't be honored, and so I was free to go. NOW they claim they FIXED the issues, AFTER I HAD ALREADY SIGNED UP WITH ANOTHER ISP. I would say that's fixing the problem MYSELF.

Update, one day later: they're willing to let me go with a $275 fee. I'm certainly not crazy about it, but I'm going to do it just so I can close the issue and move on. Lesson learned: GET IT IN WRITING if someone tells you your contract can be canceled.

member for 13.2 years, 131 visits, last login: 1.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by lets See Profile

• Location: Stockton,San Joaquin,CA
Good "Local to me and I like to support local businesses, and always up."
Bad "Not really interested, as far as I can tell, in residential DSL"
Overall "Price is too hight and they really don't care if I leave, as of 6 months ago"

Right now my account is on hold. This is at my request and one of the pluses with Inreach is that they let you do this. So, I ask 6 mos. ago to HOLD my account( no charges). No questions asked. I'll let you'll know how it goes "trying to get back". And I well talk to them very soon... And I when out to see what I could find out about Cable and now DSL.

It's just that $64.95 is too much to pay (Inreach). There's no reason that I know of why something between $20 and $30 is not a fare price for the Internet. Unlimited that is.

And for me and mine, the speed from Cable is great and dail-up today is too slow, so DSL is fine for speed for what I need it for.

And as I said before Inreach's way of saying "We don't want your business" is charging $64.95. As far as I can see.

By the way I've been with Inreach as a dial-up customer for 7 yrs. At lease I think it's been that long. I can tell you this, I was the 2,450 person to sign up with them. That was back when they owned themselfs. The rating I gave Inreach is kinda base on My being a dail-up customer and how they tried me over the years. And the value for the money is rated on the prices on DSL(384/128). What I have found having to deal with Comcast and SBC is that Inreach I'll miss dealing with a local Co. I may have to try and think of Sonic.net as local. At lease they don't have thousand of people all over the western US.

member for 10.6 years, 120 visits, last login: 4.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by infernal6 See Profile

• Location: Modesto,Stanislaus,CA
Good "Static IP, Great Technical Service, Great Customer Service"
Bad "Slower Download Speed Compared to SBC Dsl"
Overall "Great service at a resonable Price"

Although Inreach doesn't offer as fast a service compared to SBC at the same cost, their technical staff and customer service representatives are always more than happy to help you. With the service you get a static IP which is very useful for any server application and ease of use. Plus you don't have to deal with the signing in issues associated with PPPoE. I would recommend this service to anyone who is looking for a great service with awesome support and service. We ordered the 384 downstream/128 upstream service for 59.99 a month.

Comments:

Review by obiwan00 See Profile

• Location: Stockton,San Joaquin,CA
  • Telco party SBC
Good "Been around for some time"
Bad "Grew too fast"
Overall "My DSL is being transfered to Sonic"

I've been with InReach since oh I don't know, 1993 or there abouts. Started out with a dial up then when DSL became available throught them but not PacBell (go figure) I signed up. The wait was over a month since PacBell was slammed and had almost no techs for installs. Got up and running same day, only outage I've had was when the PacBell backbone went down over in San Ramone. I've been over all happy with the DSL service, the speed is good and consistant.

About a month ago I received an email indicating that my DSL service was being transfered over to Sonic on 03/03/03 and someone would be in contact with me from either InReach or Sonic or both. Now, my mother in-law has the same service, received the same email, and has been contacted by InReach, I have yet to receive a phone call or email. I even contacted them via the email address that was provided in the notice, still no contact.

member for 11.6 years, 1362 visits, last login: 3.5 years ago

Hi!
I would like to put in a review of my DSL service from my ISP provider,
InReach Internet. I have had a dial up internet connection for years
and I finally made the switch to DSL. My internet provider, InReach
Internet, sent me all the hardware that I needed (this included detailed
instructions) to my home. The hardware arrived prior to the date that
they said it would. We installed the CD and it walked us through the
installation process. We hooked up the DSL equipment and the filters on
the phone line. Then it told us to contact our ISP. We did and they
walked us through adding the IP information to configure our computer.
After that, we were up and running. It's great! I can't believe we
waited so long to make the switch. InReach Internet made the process
easy and the service is fast. It makes surfing the net a pleasure.

(review was emailed from domain bobcatcentral.com)

Comments:

Review by mcjamison See Profile

• Location: Mountain View,Santa Clara,CA
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "friendly staff, w/ reasonable response time"
Bad "Unreasonable TOS on bandwidth [ was: staff, web site not much help w/ DSL; poor coordination happened ]"
Overall "They're OK, but my bandwidth through Covad [was] disappointing."

[ note 12/02 update at bottom, regarding unreasonable terms of service - bulk of review is from 2000 ]

Summary: about 7 weeks to functioning DSL, with some coordination snafus along the way. Their personnel training, web site, and processes are more oriented toward dialup than DSL. While InReach is most likely not to blame, my bandwidth through Covad doesn't do better than 128k download, leaving me somewhat disappointed in the product overall.

Rough chronology:

late April [2000]: Though I had already ordered service through PacBell, I read enough horror stories about PacBell's service here in DSL Reports that I look for an alternative. After settling on InReach, I call them up. Sales folks are very nice, though their technical familiarity with DSL doesn't seem that deep. They faxed over a contract almost instantly after I say yes.

last week of April: I fax back the contract for 608k/128k service for $49/month, and cancel my PacBell order.

May 17th: wondering what's up, I call to see whether I have an install date set. They tell me that Covad is coming two days later, on the 19th. I ask whether PacBell needs to come first, but they have the impression that this has already been done somehow (which seems plausible, as the house has had DSL hooked up previously). More warning of the Covad visit would have been nice.

May 18th: message on my answering machine from InReach telling me Covad was coming the next day. I'm very glad I had called the day before to find out.

May 19th: Two techs from Covad show up, toward the end of the noon-5pm window. Nice folks, who seem to know what they're doing. They even do me the favor of making an unrelated modification to the household wiring while they're in the access box. When it comes time to test the line, though, it doesn't work; looks like it's a PacBell problem. They finish their side of the installation (e.g. the inside jack and leaving the SpeedStream box), and tell me they'll submit a PacBell trouble ticket, which should get resolved by the 24th.

Around May 24th, I call Covad to check on the status. Turns out that PacBell had visited my house twice earlier in the month to do their hookup, but hadn't been able to get access (noone had given any notice of these visits, before or after). We try to set up an appointment, but the Covad person says that PacBell needs at least 5 business days advance leadtime for such appointments. As I'm fairly booked up the week of the 5th, we set the date of June 12th.

June 7th: I come home at noon after picking up my parents at the airport, to find PacBell is there five days early, wiring up the line. Fortunately, I'd left the gate unlocked after putting out the recycling the previous night. By the time he's done, the SpeedStream box is showing steady green lights in all the right places. That evening, I finish the networking setup on the PC, and start surfing. Whee!

DSL is definitely a big improvement over dialup. I've been disappointed, though, at the download speeds I've been getting. Using DSLReport's test tool several times over several days, at different times of day, I've consistently been been getting 112-115 kbps, and slightly lower upload speeds. So, it looks like I'm only getting 128k for both download and upload. Sure, my contract says "608k (128k min)", so I can't claim they guaranteed better, but this is still disappointing. InReach says there's nothing they can do about it. Covad first said "Talk to your ISP", but when I said I already had, the person said she'd send an e-mail asking tech support to look into it. I also had InReach submit a trouble ticket. I'm getting ping times of about 65-70 ms to members.inreach.com; I don't know how bad that is.

I can accept that I probably won't necessarily get the max speed, or even close to it all the time, but I don't want to settle for "minimum speed, all the time" until I'm sure there's a good reason for it. While PacBell's ISP service might not be the most reliable, I might consider switching if this bandwidth doesn't improve. I feel like I'm paying a $10/month premium for 1/10 the service.

InReach looks like a great provider for dialup. After I ordered, they sent a nice packet with a guidebook and a CD-ROM that sets up Windows to use the service, including setting up Outlook Express as a mail client. None of the materials mention anything about DSL setup, and there's nothing useful on the web site. The InReach dialer was the only provided access to the applications like e-mail, so now that I'm not using their dialer, I had to dig into the directories to find the Outlook Express executable. (Suggestion: add these apps to the start menu, perhaps under an InReach submenu). The setup sheet that came with the packet included my chosen username and password, and all thep parameters I'd need for dialup such as local numbers, but none of the things I'd need for DSL setup, such as IP address, DNS servers, etc. Fortunately, I'd called for these parameters before Covad came, and I had enough experience that I could figure out how to set up networking. (I'm using a Linksys etherfast router/firewall, but at least having instructions designed for windows or Mac would have helped me figure it out). I was quite reluctant to let the CD-ROM do a complete installation, but I couldn't find anywhere any of the parameters I'd need to set up Dial-Up Networking for them on my own.

In one of my earlier phone calls, one of the tech support people had given me the incorrect impression that I'd need to use PPPoE - this caused me about a half hour of headache, until I found that I don't need it. Also, while I don't need to set a particular hostname or domain when setting up with InReach, it would have been nice if this had been made explicit somewhere, so that I wouldn't think I was missing key information.

InReach gets pretty good marks for responsiveness on the phone - I've made several calls, and the longest I was on hold was about 6 minutes; I'm usually talking to a human within a minute. The first answerer on the tech support line isn't always someone technically aware enough to help me, though, and waiting to talk to such a person can introduce another delay.

Note that while the DSL reports summary of InReach, and my contract, quote a speed of 608k down/128k up, InReach's own web page now quotes 384k/128k. In my case, the maximum speed is meaningless, as I'm stuck at the bare minimum.

InReach's news server had a pretty large set of groups; I haven't yet had a chance to evaluate their message retention or how responsive the server is.

The account includes 10 megs of web space. I asked one sales person whether I can move a personal domain to this account, and he said yes, for no fee. I haven't found this in writing anywhere, though, and haven't actually tried it.

Summary: While they look like a great ISP for dialup accounts, they need to update their materials, web site, and personnel training to better serve their DSL customers before I could give them a top rating for DSL service. I'm presuming for now that my minimal download speed is due to Covad.

Update, 12/17/02:

--------------------------

As happened to dtdohm, I got a call from InReach last week, informing me that Covad's service was jumping to $99, and inviting me to switch to resold PacBell service for the same price I'm paying now, $59. The sales person, Natasha, was friendly and easy to work with, and she sent me over the paperwork I'd have to sign to get the ball rolling.

That's when I saw a problem: the Service Agreement includes a completely unreasonable charge for going over one's bandwidth limitation. The account lists a daily maximum of 500 Megabytes. The terms of service say that by signing, I agree to pay $1 (ONE DOLLAR) for EACH MEGABYTE over that daily limit. So, let's say that after six months of basic low-bandwidth emailing and web surfing, I download the 3 CD images I might need to install the latest version of Red Hat - InReach can claim I agreed to pay them well over a thousand dollars for the transgression.

I absolutely agree with the notion of having some reasonable limitation on bandwidth usage - but this is equivalent to them asking for a signed blank check. Natasha took this to her supervisor, but neither was able to do anything about relaxing these terms for me. She tells me they're considering updating these terms, and that they've never had to enforce these rules, but this is still a lot to swallow. At this point, I'm researching my other options for DSL.

I can't be the first person to have had this reaction - I wonder how much business they lose over these terms? It's a shame, as it would cost no money to update this policy to something more reasonable. They claim I signed similar terms when i first signed up in 2000 - but 500 MBs must have seemed like a huge amount back then, coming from the world of dialup. Were it not for these terms, I'd be signed up for another year.

This problem is unfortunate, as my service over the past two years has been excellent. My speed picked up in may of 2001 (see my followup note below), and my service has had only a few hiccups for very short periods (which could be due to anything, e.g. SBC Pac Bell's wires).

-- Jamison

member for 14.2 years, 22 visits, last login: 11.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by tdtohm See Profile

• Location: Vallejo,Solano,CA
Good "Good Tech Support"
Bad "Concern for customer satisfaction has gone way down hill."
Overall "Make sure you've checked all the options available to you before you pick InReach. There are much better choices."

After reading all of the stories on DSLR I was expecting a long delay and problems, mostly because of involvement with PacBell. A neighbor has PacBell and I have listened to all of her stories. So I was very supprised and happy when everything was setup quickly and went without a hitch. The Covad Tech was great and had the Efficient Networks modem set up quickly. I only ran into one snag. I allowed my NIC to automatically setup the TCP/IP settings instead of following the directions on InReach's web site. I was getting speeds in the area of 240/110 out of the promised 608/128. After I followed the instructions on the web site, I have been hitting 519/110. I am a happy camper now.... I am just wishing it was even faster! I'll decide later if I want to jump to the 1.5 speed. I'll let you all know if I do.

11/21/2002

Well the nightmares started now. Covad decided to raise their rates to near $100 a month so InReach called with their "options". #1 pay Covad the $100, #2 switch to Pac Bell though InReach and pay $10 more a month then you would if you went with Pac Bell directly or #3 cancel your service. Well after checking out more options that were available out there I decided that I would just cancel and go with Pac Bell directly. Then I was informed by InReach that I would be charged a $140 disconnect fee because my contract was not up. Be careful when you sign these contracts. Apparently they are allowed to make any changes to your service they feel they need to..... and to charge you for it. And because you have signed this contract, you have no recourse. The people that I have been dealing with thoughout this whole process have been very rude, pushy and totally uncaring of my satisfaction. And because of the treatment that I have received since this started, I have decided to go ahead and pay the cancelation fee just to get away from them. I am also informing everyone that I know that has InReach to think about switching ISP's and go with some other company.... So much for the people that I refered to InReach and got to sign up with them.

Don't use InReach... their concern for their customers has gone way down hill and their prices are not worth what they offer anymore. I'm very sorry that I ever got involved with them in the first place.

member for 13.5 years, 48 visits, last login: 10.4 years ago

• Location: Tracy,San Joaquin,CA
  • Telco party SBC
Good "Fastest byte in the west..."
Overall "Two Thumbs Up!"

I wanted to report excellent service by David Diskin david@inreach.com
at Inreach Internet! We were unable to get DSL at our residence through
our phone provider and David developed a way to make 1/4th of a T-1
suite our needs. Inreach was professional and the time from ordering to
installing was very short.

I highly recommend Inreach Internet for your high speed internet needs!!

Sincerely,
Sheryl Binetti

(review was emailed from domain binettifamily.com)

• Telco party SBC
Overall "We were well taken care of!"

------=_NextPart_001_0005_01C25B15.FE3DD0A0
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

When Broadlink went under, Inreach was very helpful with the switch to DSL.
The customer service was very good, and very accessible. There was some
trouble with the installation, but our customer service rep from Inreach and
the installer were both extremely helpful throughout and even got us up and
running a day earlier than we were scheduled!

------=_NextPart_001_0005_01C25B15.FE3DD0A0

FONT-FAMILY: Footlight MT Light; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff
}

When Broadlink
went under,
Inreach was very helpful with the switch to DSL.  The customer
service was
very good, and very accessible.  There was some trouble with the
installation, but our customer service rep from Inreach and the
installer were
both extremely helpful throughout and even got us up and running a day
earlier
than we were scheduled!

------=_NextPart_001_0005_01C25B15.FE3DD0A0--

(review was emailed from domain inreach.com)