SONIC.NET page on DSLReports

Review by bobrk See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "great support, instant setup"
Bad "costs more than some competitors, but worth it."
Overall "as good as the reviews say"

This review has turned into somewhat of a connection diary. Every 6 months, DSLReports asks me to update my review, so that's what I do. My original review is at the bottom, and each update is placed above it.

The straight summary here is that I have had this service since 2002 and love it completely. I pay for high speeds and a website as well, which is why my monthly costs are slightly higher than normal. But I get a solid 6Mbps which is enough to watch internet streamed television and everything else.

1/15/15

Still pretty awesome, waiting for them to start offering a new product in my area, essentially resold U-Verse. The moment that is available, I will jump on it.

Otherwise, day to day 6Mbps down, like a rock.

8/28/13

Always available and always listening, this company rocks. If I wasn't behind a remote terminal, I would use them for Fusion and get my phone from them, too.

Rock solid in the modern era of streaming Netflix. And they waived my website fee. I guess it pays to be a long time customer.

8/13/12

Steaming along perfectly still.

I also switched my account from Dynamic IP to Static IP to try out the IPV6 Tunneling which seems to work ok.

10/7/11

The service is reliable like the water supply. With DirecTV disconnected, we have two HDTV's pulling numerous different feeds off the Roku and AppleTV with nary a hiccup.

As I stated last time, the only possible improvement that could be made would be moving to Fusion, which is impossible because I'm connected to a remote terminal.

1/25/11

Still awesome. Still bummed I can't get the fusion service, though. I've just unplugged my satellite tv and need more bandwidth!

7/7/10

Well, since I'm on a Remote Terminal, I can't get the Fusion product, which is now available in my area.

Good thing I'm still happy with my 6MB service and my 100% availability.

1/1/10

Pretty much a perfect year. I don't think I had to call them once.

I am hoping that their fusion service will come to my neighborhood. It's bonded DSL lines that produce even more bandwidth.

6/15/09

Service is so good that it is almost completely out of sight, out of mind. Even BT and Netflix traffic do not perturb its perfection.

12/12/08

Same old, same old. I was just looking at my monitors here at DSLReports, and they are delightfully boring. The Zoom modem they setn me has been flawless with no rebooting needed at any time. The spam filtering on email is nearly perfect, maybe 1 or 2 spams get to my mailbox a week. People use my sonic hosted website as a test of their networks, since it's always up.

I would recommend Sonic to anyone in their service area.

6/11/08

Not a lot new to report. My Meraki doesn't get much use from outside folks. I have a plan to reposition it, but I haven't done that yet. The Zoom modem is still working great.

I've begun using some of the other features of my account, using 4 real mailboxes, 4 mailing lists and 20 domain email addresses. It usually just takes moments to set something new up.

The spam filters catch between 5 and 20 emails a day, with only one or two hitting my mailboxes.

Otherwise, service is rock solid, with published service levels always achieved.

12/6/07

Time for the 6 month checkup. I still have the high speed account. I still have dynamic IP, although it pretty much never changes.

I also signed up for the Meraki WiFi access point. They send you a tiny WAP, and an ethernet switch, and you plug it all together and if somebody uses it, either a freebie user or a Sonic customer, you get a kickback. No one's used mine yet, but hey, I'm giving it a shot.

The spam filters are pretty much perfect. I have to go save an email about once a month or less from the grey mail system, but other than that, it stops anywhere from 5 to 30 emails a day.

The network rocks. Super solid, and ping to first hop has been 8ms pretty constantly. Network issues are dealt with quickly and you always know what's happening there with an MOTD mailed to you whenever they come out.

So after all these years, I'd still recommend Sonic.

6/6/07

Indeed, the connection is rock solid once again, and the speed is insane. I should have gotten a new modem right when this first started.

Anyway, much has been made of the fact that Sonic uses AT&T DSL to get the job done and that AT&T gives Sonic the run around. Well, I just have to say that it really isn't true in my case. I had an earlier incident right after Sonic started selling the 6MB service, and Sonic was able to get (then SBC) AT&T people out to check out the situation, where they did a very professional job of analysis. In this most recent case, the AT&T guy did a great job once again, and even asked me where I got my NID POTS DSL splitter--he'd never seen one like that before.

So I feel that the idea of AT&T giving Sonic the runaround is a myth.

6/1/07

Well, it turned out that the modem was probably dying. After another month or two, the modem started dropping packets and losing sync all the time. I thought it was either the line or the internal network, but both of those checked out fine.

I asked for another loaner Zoom, which arrived earlier this evening. After a few hours, it seems to be working great. We'll give it a few more days, but I think it's going to work just fine.

2/13/07

In one week, I had to reboot the modem twice. I went back to my good ol' Broadmax and everything is back to speediness.

2/7/07

Just upgraded my speed. Took less than a week to do and the only hitch was they didn't tell me to reboot my modem, which would have been nice. Until I rebooted it, the speeds were funky, but afterwards they're great. They offered to send me a loaner Zoom modem to trouble shoot, with an option of upgrading to it for $50. I'm currently evaluating the modem to see if it's any better than the Broadmax they sent me back in '02.

7/19/06

Still great. The network seems to just get better and better, and the attention to detail and service levels is astounding. I would recommend this company to anyone unequivocally.

1/18/06

I moved. Sonic moved with me. Was pretty painless once I understood the system, and as always, the DSL synced before the due date.

9/14/05

I decided to downgrade my service to save money. I'm now on the Pro DSL service. Solid 3Mbps service down and a lot less money.

12/22/04

Well, it's been nearly two years since I signed up for Sonic, and I still can't believe how good the service is. You can read about most of it above, but I think the thing that really needs to be emphasized is the great customer service. From diagnosing a bad card in an R/T and rolling the SBC truck to fix it to telling me to reboot my modem in a nice way when my dsl dies, it's really a company that is a pleasure to deal with.

6/16/04

Just added web hosting to my account. This involved moving my domain name from my last ISP, repointing MX records and signing up for the new service. All were accomplished using automated tools, and everything went quite smoothly. The web hosting is a little pricey at $20/mo, but I like having everything in the same place. Basic Hosting also includes 24 email aliases and 100MB of storage.

2/21/04 update

Just received the 6000/608 upgrade service offered by Sonic, and it rocks. There were some problems with people that were on RTs, as I found out I was, with ratecaps being needed in the Redback routers to limit the amount of speed. This keeps the downloads and uploads very stable and gives the user the full experience of what can only be described as AWESOME INTERNET! I'm extremely happy with Sonic and would recommend it to anybody!

8/5/03 update

sonic.net rocks. There are simply no problems. My modem always syncs now, the speed is decent, certainly what I paid for, although I think I can get it higher by installing a point-of-entry pots device, but I haven't made the time for that yet. The email is great, with built in spam controls, which are easy to configure, and there are 3 news servers available. When there are problems with the ISP, notices are sent out via email and newsgroups as well as being posted on the web page.

12/30/02 update

I got the new modem and it acted just like the old one. I got a sync light, though, but I had to unplug all my phones to get it to come on. Plugging them all back in did not cancel the light, so i guess it does have something to do with all the filters. In any case, the speed is adequate, and the support great. I haven't phoned them at all, but they've followed up every email inquiry and even checked up on my situation several times.

(Original review)

After years hearing about sonic net on ba.internet, I finally had the chance to give them a try. I was with DIRECTV DSL when they went out of business, so I ordered sonic.net on my other line. I tend to judge isp's on how easy it is to hook up on line, and within just a few moments, I had a username and a basic internet account on line. The DSL installation went smoothly as well, with a clear email telling me what was going to happen, when to expect the installer and when to expect the equipment.

The Broadmax modem came, I plugged it in, and I didn't see a sync light. It blinked a couple of times, but that was just the setup. When my supposed hookup day arrived, I went ahead and switched my router over from the DTV modem on the second line, to the new modem. Sure enough, I had traffic, and yet the sync light was not on. WAN and LAN told me that everything was ok.

I didn't know if the sync light was supposed to be on, and the modem was working fine, so I bounced this off the sonic.dsl newsgroup (one of many that are hosted there) and Dane suggested that I contact support. If you become a sonic.net customer, you will get to know Dane. He probably interacts personally with every customer. The support people offered to trade modems, to see if the modem itself was defective, and I'm now awaiting the new modem.

My only beef with the service right now is I'm getting slightly less on download then I was getting with DTV. It's countered by slightly higher upload speeds and a low 20ms ping.

I'll update this review when the modem situation is solved.

Comments:

Review by Skyrunner8 See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA
Good "Great company policies"
Bad "AT&T is holding them back."
Overall "Support Good ISPs that do good things."

What can I say about Sonic.net. I had been a customer for 4 years and moved to an area that they do not service very well.

Sonic has been what I would expect out of an ISP: Helpful, transparent, accessible and actually loves their customers. They do not artificially limit you in any way. Their Customer Support is also their "sales" staff. Sales is almost a bad word when it comes to ISPs, but not here. They do not try to upsell you (because there is nothing to upsell!), they do not try to prevent you from canceling.

The only real downside for Sonic is that they are limited by AT&T. Since they are forced to use AT&T's copper to the home, they are subject to AT&T's issues. If Sonic sped up their fiber to the home initiative, I would be one of the first to sign up.

member for 13.2 years, 3006 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
TIGERON

join:2008-03-11
Pacifica, CA
·AT&T Yahoo
·AT&T DSL Service

starting a petition to bring sonic to my area

hate AT&T. want sonic

»petitions.moveon.org/sign/please ··· =4516097

Review by oddhack See Profile

• Location: Mountain View,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Every step of the ordering & install process went smoothly"
Bad "No path to faster speeds; swapped phone #s after install took a few days to resolve"
Overall "Service stability is good. Policies are good. Technology base is increasingly dated and no relief on the horizon."

Updates 2014/10/27 Sonic hasn't changed my service technically. Fusion continues working just fine. They've even allowed an opt-out of the annoying modem rental policy for new customers.

The camel in the tent, though, is that Sonic hasn't changed my service technically. Dane has been talking about fiber for years and they have nothing to show for it aside from a pilot project. Attempts to deploy fiber appear to be stalled everywhere, either because of NIMBY/permitting issues or because it's just too large a project. Meanwhile I'm stuck on a line that gets 8 Mbps down at the best of times. Recently Dane has been talking up VDSL2, but that won't benefit customers who are as far away from the CO as I am.

Bottom line: as much as I like Sonic, and as much as I hate AT&T/Comcast - if Sonic can't figure out how to provide even vaguely competitive speeds, I don't think I'll be a customer much longer. I can no longer recommend Sonic to most people since they performance is so terrible (I convinced my SO to switch from Comcast - now she's getting 1/10th the performance and can't tolerate it for much longer, either).

Updated 2012/07/06 Since my last update, DSL and voice service have generally been great (once in a great while it can fail to ring through for voice calls, for no obvious reason). Unfortunately, Sonic has just instituted a new policy requiring customers to rent modems - at $6.50/mo + $9 shipping fee - and more importantly, is hiding the fee from new customers. You can find out your true cost - in exactly the same fashion as Comcast, by clicking and clicking through multiple pages of fine print and adding up all the fees and charges and so on. Sonic's CEO has posted an announcement that they're doing this because it's "industry standard practice". What he doesn't seem to consider important is that Sonic's customers often are customers because they do not want to be subject to industry standards as established by the major telcos and cable providers. Announcing they're enthusiastically headed down that path means that I can no longer recommend Sonic.net to anyone, even though my own service has been fine (and probably will be, for a while yet... of course that was true at Speakeasy too, until they sold out).

Updated 2011/02/15 I think Sonic has just resolved the one significant bobble with my Fusion install: my phone number was swapped with another customer! There was a certain amount of finger-pointing between AT&T and Sonic over this (and an AT&T tech showing up at my door for no clear reason related to the problem). Didn't affect the DSL part at all but it was getting kinda frustrating, so glad to have this working.

So far I'm getting ~6.5-7 down / .7-.9 up using my old modem in ADSL1 mode. Hopefully the new modem on order will do better, I'm only about 6000 feet from the CO. But even this is twice the performance I was getting with DSL Pro and ends up costing about the same as the old DSL + AT&T landline.

Updated 2011/02/10 Just switched to Fusion voice + ADSL2+ service after several years on regular Pro DSL. As usual the Sonic.net guys on the phone were very friendly and helpful, even though I know they're understaffed and very busy thanks to the demand for Fusion.

Switchover scheduled for 6 days from ordering at 11 AM, line went down around 11:05 for about 5 minutes and came back up running at ~6/0.7 Mbps on the same old ADSL1 modem (and ADSL1 filters), about double the old performance. I have dial tone but haven't made any calls yet

Ordered a D-Link DSL-2640B ADSL2+ modem from Newegg to replace the Zoom ADSL1 modem I have now. It is cheaper than the equivalent Sonic.net offering and, more importantly, is from a company I've actually heard of before.

Original ADSL1 Service Review

I'd been looking for alternatives to Speakeasy for several months and pretty well settled on Sonic.net due to their sharing the same virtues Speakeasy had when I started with them in 2001 (small, local, responsive, Linux-friendly). Finally the Best Buy acquisition of Speakeasy pushed me over the edge.

Ordered on Monday morning, had the install scheduled for Friday. DSL modem arrived on Wednesday. Woke up on Friday, restarted the old Speedstream 5620 modem, reconfigured the NAT box for DHCP, and I was up and running.

I'd ordered Pro service (3.0/512) and was seeing about 1.5/400 initially. Talked to Sonic support on Friday afternoon; they looked at the line stats and had AT&T turn it up. Now getting about 2.6/430. Seems a bit low when I'm only 6600 feet from the CO, but it's early in the process and perhaps some things can be tweaked still. The Sonic-supplied Zoom 5615 seems to perform just marginally better than the old Speedstream, though the difference is down in the 1-2% range. In any event it's a big boost from the Speakeasy 1.5/384 service level, and I'm paying $40/month less (OK, that's the introductory teaser rate, but even without that it's a net win).

Thus far I'm very happy. All my interactions with Sonic, whether presales qual, sales, or support, have been smooth, efficient, and pleasant. And my nightmares of Geek Squad employees picking up the phone when I call for tech support have gone away.

OT: why does the review form list "Pacbell" for TELCO and CLEC? It's all AT&T now, not even SBC anymore much less Pacific Bell. Not that I like them any better no matter what they change their name to - they're still the Phone Company.

Update to add: Sonic support contacted me in response to the review and explained the amount of framing overhead expected. With that taken into account, the 2560/435 numbers I'm seeing seem right on the money for a line capped at 3000/512, so changing the "connection reliability" rating accordingly.

Comments:

Review by wsanders See Profile

• Location: Lafayette,Contra Costa,CA
  • Telco party SBC
Good "Outstanding Tech Support"
Bad "Still Pac Bell's B**ch When it Comes to Line Repair"
Overall "Best alternative for DSL"

For $49 per month including taxes and fees, you get DSL at whatever speed your local loop can handle (no caps, standard annexes), a static IP if you need it, no usage caps, old fashioned POTS and voicemail, free long distance, and 8 hrs of free international calling to select foreign countries' landlines. Plus, Sonic is a local business.

But it is *all* about the tech support. Actually being able to reach a human who isn't an idiot, without holding for an hour, and getting the problem solved without any buck passing has added years to my life. A case in point - we live about 8000 feet from the CO and our local loop is complete crap. When we set up service years ago, it look a lot of phone calls to set a low (2 Mb) cap so that our line would be reliable. Recently, I took a guess and called them again to uncap the line, and one 10 min phone call later, it's working at 6 Mb. Good enough for me. Comcast is faster, but more expensive, and the rest of the family wants a POTS line.

The only drawback is Sonic doesn't have much leverage with PacBell if you have physical problems with your line. You'll need to prepay $200 or so to roll a truck. I don't know what their reimbursement policy is, but when I had service with PacBell it was only marginally easier to get a tech out to fix a broken line.

Comments:

Review by BronsCon See Profile

• Location: Walnut Creek,Contra Costa,CA
Good "Quick install, fast speeds, low pings"
Bad "Hmm..."
Overall "Great ISP"

·Comcast Business..
UPDATE [Dec 24, 2013]:

A year in, I'm coming back to update my review and fill in the newly-added review fields. Still nothing bad to say about these guys, I've only ever had to call support when I had a service question, never for a service issue, and I've gotten responses directly from the CEO (see below, as well as on the Sonic.net support forums) on multiple occasions. I can't seem to get Annex-M working properly, but that's more to do with the old copper in my building than anything Sonic.net has control over.

I sync at a little over 18mbps down and 1.3mbps up, so 16/1.1 is right on the money. I also love that they don't cap and, since my stats are good and line is stable, they were more than happy to put me on fast-path; they even took me off the automated throttling (in place to resolve service issues on marginal lines) after I accidentally triggered it one night while messing with my cabling, at my request, of course.

During one of my "do you guys care if I *** on your network" calls, I grilled one of their support reps really good, asking all kinds of questions the average user might run up against (hey, I have friends who aren't as tech-savvy as me, I wanted to know if it was safe to refer them!) and they passed that test with flying colors, as well. Definitely recommended for anyone who wants a stable connection and doesn't necessarily need the fastest of fast speeds, whether tech-savvy or completely new to the internet.

UPDATE [Nov 6, 2012 #2]:

Looks like I jumped the gun on that last update, as I'm able to connect to mail services on my VPS on port 25. Looks like that's open for me, as well. Whether that's a result of my having a static IP or due to my request in the comments below (in reply to Dane), I don't know, but the fact is it's at least possible to have outbound port 25 opened up. All kinds of good over here.

I also realized I didn't explain the points removed for pre sales info and install co-ordination, so I'll do that in this update. Also, the total monthly cost is an estimate for now, as I haven't gotten my first non-install bill yet.

Pre Sales Information: My entire pre-sales experience was the Sonic.net website, which seemed to indicate that I was actually getting less than is actually included with my account. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, from the point of view of someone who is getting more than they expected. However, from the perspective of someone who may be looking for a small amount of online storage space and a dedicated fax number along with their internet connection, making it clear on the website that these services are included might sway a few more people who are still unsure about making the switch to Sonic.net.

Install Co-ordination: I can't fault Sonic.net for this one, but they had no idea AT&T had been out to connect my phone line already. I placed the order after office hours on a Friday, so I'm considering it as placed on Monday, allowing for the fact that AT&T doesn't do weekend installs. Come Thursday, I decided I may as well hook up my phone, so I can decide where I want it (the phone jacks are in odd locations in this apartment) and I was surprised to find that I had a dial tone, despite never having been notified by Sonic that AT&T had even been scheduled to come out. It turns out that the tech who connected my office lines on Thursday had grabbed a list of all pending installs in the area and swung by and hooked the line up (it's an apartment complex, so I didn't need to be home to allow them access to the NID, and Sonic does the final hook-up so they didn't need in my apartment). Since the install wasn't scheduled at that time, Sonic had no way of knowing it was completed. When I called Sonic and informed them that I had dial tone, they made a test call to the number to verify that it was correct; since it was, they were able to cancel my install and refund my install fee. They overnighted me a modem (which UPS failed to deliver so I had to go pick it up, no big deal) and I was online the following Monday. Since I didn't need to call them once I had the modem, and I had dial tone on Thursday, I'm considering Thursday to be "success"; Monday -> Thursday is 4 days, so there we go.

UPDATE [Nov. 6, 2012]:

Port 53 inbound isn't blocked, I simply misconfigured my router. It sounds like port 25 outbound may be blocked, however, so I'll have to look into that, as I was hoping to move mail services off of my VPS and host them locally. I'll come back and update this review again once I get around to that, likely sometime in January.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Simply put, they don't cap (though they will on request; for example, my home line runs great uncapped, but my office lines are both unstable unless capped to below their max attainable rate). What your line syncs at, that's the speed you get. To top it off, the price tag includes a modem, a phone line with all the features, unlimited long distance, 8hr of calling to a long list of countries outside the US, web-based faxing with a dedicated number, web hosting, and, for single-line accounts (e.g. the TMC listed on this review), one free static IP.

My office is 6500ft out, my home is about 6200ft out. I get ~18mbps down and ~3mbps up on 2 Annex M lines at the office and ~18mbps down and ~1.2mbps up on one Annex A line at home (Annex M had no effect other than making the line unstable at home). Internal wiring quality dictates a much larger performance difference than would be expected (e.g. the wiring at office sucks, while the wiring at my home is pristine). None of this is Sonic.net's fault, it's just the nature of DSL.

The few times I've called in for support (static IP, switch to Annex M, switch the home line back to Annex A, switch the home line to fastpath [5-12ms pings to local servers, BTW]), hold times were short and the techs were knowledgeable enough to hold an intelligent conversation about line stats and capabilities. One tech even went so far as to email me a tone index for one of my office lines that was unstable; I was able to determine from that information that a bridge tap exists in the internal wiring for that line (thereby saving me from paying a tech to come out to tell me they couldn't touch it since it's internal wiring).

Speeds are great, I've not once gotten less than expected from either my home or office connections (based on sync rates). Pingtimes blow away any other ISP I've dealt with; even the office connection, which is on an interleave profile, has pingtimes ~30ms lower than our old ISP. My home connection, on fastpath, enjoys typical pings of 5-12ms with 1ms of jitter to local servers.

My only complaint is that inbound port 53 is blocked, but I only noticed that tonight and have not called to ask about getting it opened up, so I won't hold that against them.

I highly recommend this ISP if they're available at your location. Take the time to get your line set up correctly and you won't regret it.

member for 11.4 years, 2511 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA

53 not blocked...

Port 53 inbound is not blocked - on the Fusion platform, the only blocking is on port 25 outbound, to limit spam from compromised hosts.

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
·Comcast Business..
·SONIC.NET

Re: 53 not blocked...

Thanks for that, I actually realized it after reviewing my router's port forwarding settings and seeing that I had failed to input the correct IP address for that port. I just haven't gotten around to correcting my review yet; I'll do that after work today.

Is port 25 OB blocked for static IPs and can I request that it be opened up for me?

Review by jkreuzig See Profile

• Location: Yorba Linda,Orange,CA
Good "Easy order process, great communication, good pricing"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "Go for it if you can get it"

UPDATE - 09/03/2014

I've been a sonic.net DSL customer since Feb 2006. They finally opened up Fusion service in my area of Orange County, so I jumped on it. Turnaround time was great, only 8 days from the time I ordered to the switchover.

As always, the order process was painless, and customer service has been top notch. Only hiccup was that I am the first customer in my area on the network card in the CO (according to support). It needed to be rebooted in order for me to get an IP address for the modem. Tech support was fantastic, actually called me back when they said they would.

So far, so good. It looks like my line is starting at just under 8 mb/s. I'm hopeful that after the first couple of weeks it will jump.

************************************************
I've been waiting about a month since I got my connection before writing a review. I can honestly say that I'm really glad I switched to sonic.net. The only problems I had was trying to get covad to release my old circuit so sonic could provision. The connection was up and running 3 days before the install date.

Yea, I'd like to have the 768 up I had with cyberonic, but that's an SBC issue.

Comments:

Review by dslX46 See Profile

• Location: San Diego,San Diego,CA
Good "Consistant but.."
Bad "Slow service, unfortunate customer service errors"
Overall "Goodbye "

Family IT guy here, set up and paid for this SONIC.NET account for the Head of my family who resides in San Diego, CA. The service went on for two (2) years and my family mentioned only some slow speeds with two users online. The time to end my paying for the service had arrived and I had paid for service through 09-01-2014. I contacted Billing to request that at the END of the service month again, paid for in advance, I wanted the service disconnected. The request was "noted" and one day latter, 08-08-2014 the service was abruptly disconnected. When I called Billing to ask what had gone wrong I was told "sorry" it was a mistake and that it would take up to seven days to CORRECT their error , (reconnect service). I have to scramble to get another company to take their place, causing me to look really bad because they also use the line for VOIP! UNFORGIVABLE ERROR!

Month to month, $29.95

1500/384

ztel (?) modem

Comments:

Review by NedLudd See Profile

• Location: 94117-4164
Good "Cust. Service. Very good speed with two bonded, dedicated (no ATT) phone lines. FREE PHONE includes International Long Distance!"
Bad "A DSL issue, not a Sonic issue - I am far from the phone exchange, the wires here in SF are very old, my speed is not so fast."
Overall "Sonic - the only EFF perfect privacy score. FUSION works, fibre is on the way."

I live in San Francisco, in a neighborhood that was developed before 1900. (I think Mr. A.G. Bell strung our phone wires personally.) I am at the end of the loop, far from the telco exchange. I struggled for years trying to get reliable DSL at a decent speed. Most DSL providers use your existing phone line. The lower frequencies are reserved for phone conversations, and the DSL is carried at higher frequencies. Sonic uses a "dry pair"- a phone line that they dedicate to data, without the compromises needed to share the wire with another provider. Their "Bonded Fusion" service pairs two of these lines for greater bandwidth and higher speed - like a divided highway instead of a narrow road with traffic moving in both directions. Sonic's system brought me fast and reliable service for the first time. Customer service is excellent, the tech people respond to the customer rather than reading a script. (I think they may even be located in North America!) Sonic is a small ISP but a technology leader. Google chose Sonic to instal and operate the Stanford/Palo Alto fiber-to-the-home network.

Comments:
ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

Sonic

Google may have used Sonic for 2 Fiber cities, but in the end Sonic got kicked to the curb for the rest of the project. Also Sonic still uses AT&T for the phone lines to deliver Fusion aDSL.

Review by kmcmurtrie See Profile

• Location: Sunnyvale,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Support, uptime, and telephone"
Bad "AT&T wires, telemarketers, modem fees"
Overall "Good local ISP"

This is a local ISP offering a wide variety of features for both everyday and power users. Online support has been fast and knowledgeable.

Their Fusion product provides ADSL2+, static IP address options, e-mail hosting, web hosting, and plain telephone service.

The telephone service has free national calls and free international calls to selected countries. The sound quality can't be beat. Call forwarding, voicemail to IMAP, caller ID, and call blocking are supported. Sonic.net's phone service is unfortunately an illegal telemarketing magnet. Expect a phone call every morning at 9:30 and a few more until night. Sonic.net claims to have "Spam Call Blocking" but it has been completely ineffective ever since telemarketers started using random local numbers as their Caller ID. I get more telemarketers on Sonic.net in a DAY than other phone providers get in a YEAR. Support claims they can do nothing to trace or block the calls.

ADSL2+ is delivered at whatever your AT&T wires can handle with about a 6dB SNR margin. That can be anything from near-zero to 20Mbps. There's an option to bond two Fusion lines together to double your bandwidth. Other than that, neighborhoods with old AT&T wires are out of luck. Static IP addresses can be purchased and there's a way to switch Annex M on and off using your phone.

My service is two bonded Fusion lines using Annex M. The combined modem bitrate is a very consistent 8/2 Mbps delivering 7/1.6 Mbps actual. That's usually too low for video-on-demand at high quality. When asked about upgrade options, Sonic could only offer 5/5 Mbps for $599/month on their FlexLink Ethernet plan. I hope to get bandwidth elsewhere but keep one Fusion line for phone calls.

Warning! New Fusion customers must pay a $6.50/month modem rental fee. Only older customers can opt-out.

Comments:

Review by dayyan See Profile

• Location: Oakland,Alameda,CA
Good "Great Company"
Bad "Not Fiber"
Overall "Do it"

I am 8000 feet from the local central office and still get about 7 Mbps.
I follow @dane on twitter, he is the CEO and answers questions. Great company, great leadership.