Nucleus Inc. page on DSLReports

Review by hamdrew See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
Good "Very reliable, fast and great customer service. Cheaper rates and you get a plain modem! No router/wireless combo junk."
Bad "I'm not sure if you can have Shaw cable TV at the same time as Nucleus cable internet."
Overall "The price is nearly half of what I paid with Shaw and I get better speed. Well worth the switch."

I have Nucleus 50 Mb cable internet and it is amazing. It costs the same as the 25 Mb internet I had with Shaw and I actually get between 45-50 Mbps consistently. I also love that you get a plain DOCSIS 3 modem as I run my own router and multiple access points. I have only noticed downtime once and around the same time there were multiple Shaw van's in my alley working (probably related). The only real issue I have had was trying to obtain my external IP during the initial setup and that was fixed with a few reboots of the modem and router.

The sign up process was very well organized and I had a helpful dedicated person looking into my order. They waived the install fee since I was coming from Shaw and was able to coordinate the change over with Shaw to minimize downtime.

I'm not sure if you can have Shaw cable at the same time as Nucleus cable internet they may be downside for some. I have Telus TV so it doesn't matter for me.

I'm a network analyst who deals with approximately 40-50 different ISPs all over Alberta, Saskatchewan, BC and Manitoba and these guys are one the best I've ever seen. Highly recommend!

Comments:

Review by EnigmaMac See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Excellent stability and fairly good speeds both upload/download."
Bad "Wish they would offer a higher DSL speed package. And higher upload speed."
Overall "Out of the ISPs in Calgary, Nucleus is the best. Shaw is HORRIBLE."

Been with a lot of ISPs over the year in this City. CADVision (Now TELUS), Shaw, TELUS, and now Nucleus for the past five years. Started out with their 1.5 Mbps package which was alright, was always consistent and never any downtime. If there was down time, it was resolved within a few hours at the most. Only thing was with the Install service we had to wait on TELUS for several days to open a port up at the CO for our Nucleus service to be activated. But this wasn't a problem on Nucleus's end, but slow on the part of TELUS.

Upgraded to their 6.0Mbps ADSL package about 2 years ago when it was finally available in our neighbourhood due to TELUS FINALLY installing a DSLAM ERA near our house. Service worked excellent. Have been using the D-Link DSL-300I Modem for years, and never had any problems. Using Apple Airport for Wireless which is excellent as well. When we had Shaw before, they were always phoning about using too much bandwidth, and their service would go out ALL the time. I find Shaw to be one of the rudest, worst ISPs in Canada. We still have Shaw for Digital TV, but are thinking of switching to TELUS very soon here as we are not receiving our HDTV channels like we are supposed to be. Shaw refused to swap our box for a new one and insist we pay $368 for a new Digital Box. When it is funny how our HDTV channels were working just fine before.

Anyways, Nucleus has been great with very little if any issues at all. I don't do much gaming so I am not sure how the ping times are exactly. But using Torrents I am always able to download at 590-600KB/sec consistently.

I also just found out that Nucleus is offering Cable packages which I might give a go, but I like our DSL as it has been extremely consistent with them. Nice thing would be if they could offer a higher-end DSL package. Something like 15/2 would be nice, but maybe soon in the future as Nucleus upgrades quite quickly.

If you are living in Calgary though, and want a reliable ISP that doesn't have downtime and if you are looking for low ping times, Nucleus is your option. Only thing is that they don't have a bundle package if you wanted to bundle Internet/TV together.

Cheers

Comments:

Review by jaymal9 See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB

Great co- no down time - excellent support

Comments:

Review by mx80 See Profile

• Location: t2nOa9
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Reliable speed for cheap"
Overall "Recommended"

This is a basic 1500/500 setup, dynamic IP, running since August 2004. Bought the modem (about 70$) and now pay 10$ less a month than I did with Telus for the same service. Uptime, connectivity, and speed has been flawless, much better than Telus. Also: tech support people actually know networking, e.g., they know what a traceroute is. Extra plusses: pro-Linux, and they don't block outgoing SMTP traffic (annoyed me to no end when Telus started doing that!).

Comments:

Review by Trans_AM See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
Good "None"
Bad "Ignorant People To Deal With, Harassment from AUP department"
Overall "Don't go with it, Canadian broadband just sucks"

Nucleus is nothing but a harassment company, don't go with it. Can't wait to get something new like 3web or maybe interbaun. Nucleus has a ton of DNS Server problems, your IP does not even want to resolve. They harass you if you swear in a chatroom.. its pretty pathetic, these guys don't really have lives and their tech support is pretty clueless. I phoned in because I couldn't get an IP assigned from their retarded DHCP Servers so they try and blame the problem on my computer and say "There's nothing we can do, good luck with fixing it" and hung up on me.

Bunch of queers if you ask me,

member for 11.4 years, 102 visits, last login: 9.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by Fleetis See Profile

• CLEC party: Telus
Good "True Static IP addresses - Solid Technical Support - Amazing Sales Staff"
Bad "There are none"
Overall "You will not find a more reliable ISP"

Got what I ordered and everything went smooth as silk. Highly Recomend them.

$189.95
30 Static IP addresses
Took 5 working days.
Techsupport is awesome.

Comments:

Review by Supe8 See Profile

• Location: t5a-2v6
Good "Excelent customer service not 24/7 but within 5 minutes when they are open."
Bad "Kinda pricey when you don't buy the modem 2 years of renting adds 10$ a month for two years."
Overall "If you don't want crap customer service and a friendly smaller reliable company contact them."

I used them for two years you could send them traceroutes when you can't find a way to contact bad routers and they would try and help you out the same day.

DSL is 100x better then cable if your near the hub but alas i am near the fringes of the hub so i only get 120k per sec downlaods and around the same max for uploads. And this is on the Fringe.

The only weak spot seems to be with there newserver people but i only asked them once to add a server.

Comments:

Review by origin2000 See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
  • CLEC party: Telus
Good "Reliable Service - Excellent Tech Support - NOT Shaw or Telus!!!"
Bad "High Cost (Compared to other providers)"
Overall "In The Edmonton Area, there is not a better internet service provider than Nucleus."

I just wish they priced their DSL a little more competitively.

Comments:

Review by taxbuster See Profile

Overall, after switching from @Home, I am very pleased! Stability and uptime is exceptionally good; problems are minor and quickly fixed. Tech support is available and friendly - and effective.

Have 1.5 Mb DSL (residential service) and see consistent d/l speeds in my pipe of ~150-180 K/sec; once outside the Nucleus pipe, though, speed decreases depending on the rest of the net, but generally remains high.

Install and cutover from cable was a breeze, took about 1/2 hr. I have a static IP and run a firewall 24x7.

Nice people to deal with - I have already sent them several other customers, and for $5 / month more than cable, you don't have to put up with the constant downtime of the cable provdiders (particularly email...).

Highly recommended!