Speakeasy page on DSLReports

• Location: Detroit,Wayne,MI
  • Telco party Ameritech
Good "support, pings"
Bad "AT&T/Ameritech ILEC"
Overall "worked well once AT&T fixed their stuff"

·WOW Internet and..
12/2000 - 3/2002. Lots of problems w/ distance from the CO and supporting speeds. we finally got it settled down to 384/128 and stable. AT&T/Ameritech being the ILEC meant a hard time for Speakeasy/Covad to get work done.

Comments:

Review by jaykaykay See Profile

• Location: Scottsdale,Maricopa,AZ
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "The connection time to hook up was amazingly quick and pain free. The TAC follow up info was also easy to follow."
Bad "Sometimes the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing support-wise."
Overall "Jan. 20th, 2014, my leaving them should be complete!!! Service cutoff that date."

·Cox HSI
(1/7/09) Another yes. I am still with SE although thinking seriously of leaving after all this time. They are just too expensive and for the $79 per month, I am not getting nearly what others get elsewhere. I am still on the Legacy plan which is so legacied, I doubt it even makes sense to stay with SE on this plan, but their other plans are also too expensive.

We have not been getting anywhere near what we should be getting now, 768 up and down. Even with overhead, we should be getting better than this:

Speed Test #64405602 by dslreports.com

Run: 2009-01-07 22:15:14 EST

Download: 621 (Kbps)

Upload: 637 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 75.8 down 77.7 up

The Spam filter, which I once praised, has gone to h***. It's catching a lot of Spam but SE is failing in picking up way too many addresses that have already been in my black list for some time. I got quick service/response when I put in a trouble ticket about this. I was basically told that the filter just wasn't very good. I agree!

I would still like them to upgrade the number of addresses that are allowed beyond the 500 for the Spam filter. After going on almost 10 years with SE, one can easily collect many many addresses for Spammers. They are still as prolific as rats! 500 accumulated addresses, after as many years as I have been with them, is waaaaaay too little, IMHO!

However, on a good point, my phone response time was not long and those I spoke to when needed for service were polite.

(3/19/08) Yes. I am still with SE. Other than finding my speed tests less than consistent, which they used to be, I have nothing bad to say about them yet. I've still had no problem with Support, and while I would like my speeds to be rock solid as the used to be before the past 6 to 9 months, I see no reason to leave them.

My service, the old Legacy connection of 768/384 was supposed to give basically the same up as down, the 768 minus overhead. Seldom any more am I getting that speed and I am unhappy about what i am getting as it is even slower than it should be most days. Nothing, absolutely nothing, has changed on my end so I have no idea what has caused the slower speeds.

I also would still like them to upgrade the number of addresses that are allowed beyond the 500 for the Spam filter. After going on almost 9 years, from the start of 2000, one can easily collect many many addresses for Spammers, as they are as prolific as mice. 500, after as many years as I have been with them, is really too little, IMHO.

(05/13/06) I am still using this ISP and aside from a question or 2 that I have had, I still have nothing bad to say about them. Granted, they are horribly expensive compared to many, but for my $$$, I think the service and uptime has been fantastic and I wouldn't want to try to find any other ISP for the same good record.

I would like one thing changed that they say they cannot do at this time though. I would like to be able to add more than a 500 cut off to Spamming addresses. Over the years, and I've been here for quite a few, the addresses have built up to the point where I may have to start deleting and hope I don't open a pandora's box.

Aside from that, I give a jolly 3 cheers and more to my friends at Speakeasy. It's a pleasure doing business with them.

(10/15/04) Today, I thought I would update my review and checked to see just how many Trouble Tickets I have had to enter since starting with SE and how well they have responded to them. In all the time I have been with SE, I have had only 19 TT and almost all of them have been handled well. There was only one that got handled with a lot of aggravation on my part. However, it eventually did get properly taken care of.

This is quite a record for any ISP when it comes to support/problems and solving them. I will still most certainly continue to recommend SE. They seem to be putting everything together well and continue to be A-1 in my book.

(1/15/03) I have had SE for going on 4 years now. I haven't written a report up till now finding it easier to do my writing in the Speakeasy Forum and elsewhere that I could. SE is not perfect and has its warts just like any other business, but over all, my choice to have gone and stayed with them couldn't be a more amicable one.

My service connection is not offered any more, 768/384 which most of the time is almost as good with the upload as with the down. While I qualify for a faster one, I am going to stick with what I have. If it ain't broke, why fix it. I get at least 80% throughput, and for me, this is great. I am not a gamer, so the latency issues don't really come into the picture unless there is a problem. I would love to see SE have a local POP here, but from the looks of things, that is not to be in the offing. If there was a local POP, I would then have to say that everything was just about perfect as the latency would be far less as well. Going 1800+ miles to ones POP does affect the pings!

Would I recommend SE to others? You bet!!! Would I be upset if I had to try to find another ISP? You bet!!! Do I hope to remain with SE? You bet, and I believe that they will only get better. Is it worth the extra money I pay for my account compared to the other choices that I have available to me, both DSL and cable? You bet!!!!

October 30, 2010

I used another ISP when on vacation this year. While I loved the speed at some times during the day, the delays during other parts of the day were really frustrating. I may have a slow up and down with SE, which is exactly what I pay for, but since it is an old connection not offered any more, it works more like a business connection, the same up as down. After using the other connection, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate that!

Plus, per usual, SE has been spot on about not losing the connection or dropping it for me. I am still pleased to have them even though they are far more expensive than others that I could easily have, including cable.

Comments:

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

Way too many problems...Megapath, be gone!

Since trying to upgrade our speed and not being able to due to the bridged modem and our first mile connection, plus horrendous problems with them knowing which foot they were standing on with email, etc. and having to send way too many TT's, enough was enough. It would have been much easier staying with them had we had a real option, but we didn't. Hence, we're out of there and at a nice cost savings too, IMHO. Our service should be cut off as of tomorrow. I am hoping that they won't create further problems with their billing as I've read that they have done in the past when one has been canceling their service.
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

Review by michmill01 See Profile

• Location: Cleveland,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Used to be outstanding"
Bad "Mediocre at best since Megapath"
Overall "I was ok with paying a premium for good service. service doesn't justify it anymore. "

paying for 6mb, barely getting 3. Megapath is just not providing the service Speakeasy did.

Comments:

Review by agarillon See Profile

• Location: Washington,District Of Columbia,DC
Bad "Leaving after 13 years...megapath destroyed the best"
Overall "awful to deal with now"

·MegaPath
This is the worst situation in the world...best world class service worth paying premium dollars for destroy by Megapath.

I used to use Speakeasy almost exclusively for all my clients. I can't wait to have every last client off of them. They can't even solve a problem when it's handed to them on a silver platter.

Comments:

Review by tkdslr See Profile

• Location: Pompano Beach,Broward,FL
Good "Order status updates are nice.."
Bad " taxes and/or fees placed on invoices. (Very high latency to internet)"
Overall "expensive .. but the alternatives are quickly disappearing."

·T-Mobile US
Install ok.

I had a pre-existing Bridged service (Static IP) through a Bell South reseller ...
I opted out of having them ship another me yet modem, I used to be one a Directv DSL's beta sites for DSL modems.. except they never responded to my email about correct VPI and VCI settings.. I did some research and had to guess.

.. speed is what I expected for a 1536/384 connection.
Bellsouth wires.. Covad switch in CO..

MY. biggest peeve.. Speakeasy tacking on all sorts of bogus taxes and doubling billing. Without consent.. they billed two months up front.. OH.. A gave them a credit card to establish service.

Florida is a ZERO internet tax state.. neither state nor local governments can add any taxes to the bill..

Here is a break down of my bill ..

49.95 Monthly DSL line charge
1.87 Federal regulatory fees

Tax Reimbursements:
2.38 Utility tax city
2.72 Utility tax State
0.95 Statutory Gross receipts tax
1.50 Regulatory Compliance fee

=======
59.37 (total fees and other crap for each month service. )

Everything below Federal regulatory fee is a fraud..

snip.. I eventually won that argument, and SE removed the extra taxes..

Invoices now read..

Monthly DSL line charge 49.95
Regulatory Compliance Fee 3.50
----------
Monthly total 53.45

---

Several years of slowly degrading down to 768/384 and then improved(normal 1.5M/384) service after BS removed bridge taps on all the phone lines in the neighborhood as a prelude to deploying their Universe TV service.

-----

Update... 10/13/2010... Latency to 1st hop concentrator router & DNS server is now absurdly high.. 82ms.. (30-34ms is normal)

I first reported high 52 ms latency 9/22/2010, after I notice my router losing sync and renegotiating. So I opened a repair ticket #3191188 and SE tech support replied..

"Anything lower that 100ms is considered fine. If the connection keeps dropping, you will want to contact our support @ 800-556-5829 for further assistance."

Needless to say, that's totally unacceptable.. And my reply minced no words about my dis-satisfaction with SE's statement I've started looking for alternative service.

Note: After a week or two, my connection latency to Atlanta dropped back to normal range of 32ms.

But, last weekend(10/10/2010) best case latency to Atlanta was back up 72ms, and right now(10/13/2010) its 82 ms. I'm still pissed off from my previous repair ticket exchange, so I'm not even going to report it. I'll be dumping SE shortly after I shift my website/email/ftp/proxy functions to a virtual Linux hosting firm and switch to PPPoE, yuck, gag, AT&T aDSL for 1/3 the price.

I really despise paying a premium rates for shitty service.
I've downgraded my review ratings appropriately.

Update 3/14/2012, This is my final review.. I placed disconnect request in today via trouble ticket, I will follow up with a voice call when they .

My adsl speed has degraded to 928K/384K.. sometimes even lower.. 384K/384K
due to at&t deploying nearby Uverse customers.. Not much Covad/Megapath/Speakeasy can do.. it's a line crosstalk issue controlled/created by at&t..

I signed up with ipath.com for my website/email hosting($3/mo, 2yrs) and a 50gb($12) block of usenet access with NewsGroupDirect.com. My new I-net dhcp/nat access via wireless, it's much faster, up to 7Mb/2Mb wayy cheaper, but capped, @5GB/month, and not nearly as reliable. Such as life, compromises.

Next step.. port my old POTs line to low cost prepaid cell phone and kiss at&t goodbye forever. Grrr, at&t has been a real pain in^&%/nightmare for me.

Update 12/14/2012

Well, I've been gone from SE/Megapath for 9 months now.. And the new Megapath has managed to surprise me once more!!! At least one of their Email, Problem trouble report, and/or Account databases have been compromised.

How do I know??. For ten years now, I've been giving each vendor I do business with, a UNIQUE email address. (A hard coded sender id)... Yesterday, 12/13/2012, I received several AMEX card email phishings from Burgas, Bulgaria using the email account name I only gave to SE and nobody else. Can we say .. Busted.. That will cost them another notch in tech support category..

Lucky for me..I no longer have an Amex card(>15years), and I run my own email domain.. I'll just re-alias that old SE account to the automatic discard bin..

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

Speakeasy

I had the same thing with Speakeasy - serve degrade- and it was BEFORE u-Verse was turned on in the area. Speakeasy would refuse to do anything. Ended up canceling service.

They're not the same company as they were when they first came out. And this is proof all good things must come to an end.
tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL

Re: Speakeasy

The same problem can happen with standard ADSL deployments..
Too many DSL circuits in multiple mile long cables with other impairments.

Review by keh See Profile

• Location: Seattle,King,WA
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Works fine, when it works."
Bad "Reliability and support are really bad."
Overall "Stay away from Speakeasy/Megapath."

Except for three years, we've been with Speakeasy since they started in the early 90's. Up until several years ago the service was first-rate, which you would expect for $59 a month.

But then Best Buy (??) bought them; then Megapath; and then Covad. As the company has gotten bigger and bigger, the service reliability and tech support has degraded to the point that we're going elsewhere for service. A support call that was once answered here in Seattle by the third ring - and was usually resolved in a few minutes - now is answered in Canada after navigating a lengthy phone tree, and sometimes 15 minutes on hold.

In 2007 they neglected to cancel the service at our old house when transferring it to the new place, and later billed us for several months of service at the old place. They refused to look at the old account logs to verify that it had been unused for months; claiming that they were too big to do that for every customer. That took weeks to resolve.

This is the third time our 1.5Mb DSL has dropped to 256Kb for days at a time, and often takes 24 hours to resolve. The support people just don't seem to care, and billing problems seem to come up once or twice a year.

UPDATE (11/26/12): Finally cancelled Speakeasy/Megapath service and ordered from a new ISP. No one at Megapath even asked why we were leaving, and it appears that they are not forwarding e-mails to another address for 60 days as it says on the service ticket. Megapath is awful!

Comments:
Tanster

join:2006-07-08
New York, NY
·Speakeasy

Re: Speakeasy now officially sucks...

Aside from my other post panning their service since the Megapath buyout where they administratively shut down a circuit at a client's for a month, blamed the customer premise equipment for being faulty and then had the unmitigated gall to claim they didn't have anything to do with the shutdown, I'm pleased to report that they have now lost that client to a competitor. Serves those assholes right.

Review by Tanster See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Used to be reliable and used to have the tech-savviest tech reps ever"
Bad "Now the tech reps can't even find their asses with both hands plus GPS."
Overall "Stay away! Ever since Megapath took over, idiots reading from scripts abound."

I started with Speakeasy back in 2000 when they were a small Seattle-based company. Everybody thought I was insane as I was based in New York City. But they were the best in that service was reliable and on the few and far between glitches, they had tech savvy reps who could fix it in under 15 minutes most times. Then Sep 11, 2011 hit and despite every other ISP and telco going down, Speakeasy kept on chugging, just reducing my 1.5Mbps/670Kbps line to 128Kbps/128Kbps just for the duration of the emergency and only going down for 6 hours when FDNY finally flooded the switching station down on West St. I figured that any company that could provide service during a national emergency of such proportions deserved my loyalty despite the higher prices they charged compared to up and comers (at the time) like Verizon and Time Warner Cable. I even became an agent for their services.

Today, Speakeasy is in the toilet after being bought out by Megapath. They have tech support reps who can't find their asses with both hands plus GPS and trouble tickets take days to get a response on (compared to the 15 minutes from response to solution in previous years). The last straw was when the 2nd 10Mbps/1Mbps DSL circuit at a client's was down for a whole month while Megapath insisted that all was well and that any cause for data traffic not flowing *HAD* to be with customer equipment. They finally "discovered" that the reason for no traffic flowing was because they (Megapath) had an administrative block on the line triggered from their billing software for no reason (the lines were fully paid-up). And removing the administrative block allowed traffic to immediately flow again on the 2nd DSL circuit. Big "oopsie" on Megapath's part! So much for "it has to be customer equipment causing the problem" and driving the in-house IT staff nuts looking for a non-existent problem with their equipment!!!!! Then, to add insult to injury, they refused to provide a refund for the month of non-service on the downed circuit because they claimed it never happened (they conveniently didn't document the problem). So they lost the client to a competitor.

The latest problem is that I have another circuit with 8%-30% packet loss just pinging Speakeasy/Megapath's gateway router for the circuit and they are denying it's happening. This is a circuit that has had zero packet loss for years in pings to the same gateway router...

After this fiasco, I'm so done with Megapath. They shouldn't even be selling candy in a corner nickel and dime store, let alone telecom and ISP services! I'm searching for an alternative with the exception of Verizon because they have been physically sabotaging my service (I have thrice caught Verizon technicians with the wires for my circuit in their hands and disconnected from the old-fashioned wraparound posts; a case of "in flagrante delicto" since the wires can't accidentally be dislodged and have to be unwound from the posts).

Comments:

Review by thudson See Profile

• Location: Seattle,King,WA
Good "Great company"
Bad "Swallowed by bad company"
Overall "After fifteen years with Speakeasy, it is time to move on."

I have been a customer of Speakeasy for 15 years, in multiple cities. Their tech support was always fantastic. Their commitment to service was excellent. Since Megapath took over, it has gone downhill so fast I can't believe it. My speeds have dropped to four megabits per second, even though I am paying ($120 a month) for six.

My last three tickets with them were not only never responded to, but the record of me filing tickets was deleted.

Needless to say, I'll be looking for a new provider.

Thomas Hudson

Comments:
nanaki333

join:2010-08-11
Chantilly, VA

agreed

Been with them over a decade and up until the last few years, support was great. I've had tickets go unanswered for over a week, sometimes being closed out without ever being addressed. Service is unreliable at best. My 'backup' data T1 was out solid for over 3 months and requests to cancel it went ignored for nearly a month until I email bombed the hell out of them.

Review by Extide See Profile

• Location: Sandy,Salt Lake,UT
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "No downtime, very smooth"
Bad "USwest a bit off task."
Overall "Second time is the charm. Damn good service"

No longer applies

• Location: 2010
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "The good disappeared."
Bad "Expensive; poor attitudes"

Speakeasy was really good years ago, but after the merger with
Covad/Megapath, they went downhill. The customer service/tech support
really lacks, well, support. Whenever I had problems is the past,
they were very helpful. They had no problem in dispatching ILEC
ticket to fix the copper, but now, they want to issue a billable
dispatch out to diagnose the line. (I already know that the cause is
a bird or squirrel who eats through the line).
They are very expensive and I'm looking for a new ISP.
Stay away from Speakeasy.

(review was emailed from domain speakeasy.net)