Speakeasy page on DSLReports

Review by jaykaykay See Profile

• Location: Scottsdale,Maricopa,AZ
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "The connection time to hook up was amazingly quick and pain free. The TAC follow up info was also easy to follow."
Bad "Sometimes the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing support-wise."
Overall "Jan. 20th, 2014, my leaving them should be complete!!! Service cutoff that date."

·Cox HSI
(1/7/09) Another yes. I am still with SE although thinking seriously of leaving after all this time. They are just too expensive and for the $79 per month, I am not getting nearly what others get elsewhere. I am still on the Legacy plan which is so legacied, I doubt it even makes sense to stay with SE on this plan, but their other plans are also too expensive.

We have not been getting anywhere near what we should be getting now, 768 up and down. Even with overhead, we should be getting better than this:

Speed Test #64405602 by dslreports.com

Run: 2009-01-07 22:15:14 EST

Download: 621 (Kbps)

Upload: 637 (Kbps)

In kilobytes per second: 75.8 down 77.7 up

The Spam filter, which I once praised, has gone to h***. It's catching a lot of Spam but SE is failing in picking up way too many addresses that have already been in my black list for some time. I got quick service/response when I put in a trouble ticket about this. I was basically told that the filter just wasn't very good. I agree!

I would still like them to upgrade the number of addresses that are allowed beyond the 500 for the Spam filter. After going on almost 10 years with SE, one can easily collect many many addresses for Spammers. They are still as prolific as rats! 500 accumulated addresses, after as many years as I have been with them, is waaaaaay too little, IMHO!

However, on a good point, my phone response time was not long and those I spoke to when needed for service were polite.

(3/19/08) Yes. I am still with SE. Other than finding my speed tests less than consistent, which they used to be, I have nothing bad to say about them yet. I've still had no problem with Support, and while I would like my speeds to be rock solid as the used to be before the past 6 to 9 months, I see no reason to leave them.

My service, the old Legacy connection of 768/384 was supposed to give basically the same up as down, the 768 minus overhead. Seldom any more am I getting that speed and I am unhappy about what i am getting as it is even slower than it should be most days. Nothing, absolutely nothing, has changed on my end so I have no idea what has caused the slower speeds.

I also would still like them to upgrade the number of addresses that are allowed beyond the 500 for the Spam filter. After going on almost 9 years, from the start of 2000, one can easily collect many many addresses for Spammers, as they are as prolific as mice. 500, after as many years as I have been with them, is really too little, IMHO.

(05/13/06) I am still using this ISP and aside from a question or 2 that I have had, I still have nothing bad to say about them. Granted, they are horribly expensive compared to many, but for my $$$, I think the service and uptime has been fantastic and I wouldn't want to try to find any other ISP for the same good record.

I would like one thing changed that they say they cannot do at this time though. I would like to be able to add more than a 500 cut off to Spamming addresses. Over the years, and I've been here for quite a few, the addresses have built up to the point where I may have to start deleting and hope I don't open a pandora's box.

Aside from that, I give a jolly 3 cheers and more to my friends at Speakeasy. It's a pleasure doing business with them.

(10/15/04) Today, I thought I would update my review and checked to see just how many Trouble Tickets I have had to enter since starting with SE and how well they have responded to them. In all the time I have been with SE, I have had only 19 TT and almost all of them have been handled well. There was only one that got handled with a lot of aggravation on my part. However, it eventually did get properly taken care of.

This is quite a record for any ISP when it comes to support/problems and solving them. I will still most certainly continue to recommend SE. They seem to be putting everything together well and continue to be A-1 in my book.

(1/15/03) I have had SE for going on 4 years now. I haven't written a report up till now finding it easier to do my writing in the Speakeasy Forum and elsewhere that I could. SE is not perfect and has its warts just like any other business, but over all, my choice to have gone and stayed with them couldn't be a more amicable one.

My service connection is not offered any more, 768/384 which most of the time is almost as good with the upload as with the down. While I qualify for a faster one, I am going to stick with what I have. If it ain't broke, why fix it. I get at least 80% throughput, and for me, this is great. I am not a gamer, so the latency issues don't really come into the picture unless there is a problem. I would love to see SE have a local POP here, but from the looks of things, that is not to be in the offing. If there was a local POP, I would then have to say that everything was just about perfect as the latency would be far less as well. Going 1800+ miles to ones POP does affect the pings!

Would I recommend SE to others? You bet!!! Would I be upset if I had to try to find another ISP? You bet!!! Do I hope to remain with SE? You bet, and I believe that they will only get better. Is it worth the extra money I pay for my account compared to the other choices that I have available to me, both DSL and cable? You bet!!!!

October 30, 2010

I used another ISP when on vacation this year. While I loved the speed at some times during the day, the delays during other parts of the day were really frustrating. I may have a slow up and down with SE, which is exactly what I pay for, but since it is an old connection not offered any more, it works more like a business connection, the same up as down. After using the other connection, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate that!

Plus, per usual, SE has been spot on about not losing the connection or dropping it for me. I am still pleased to have them even though they are far more expensive than others that I could easily have, including cable.

member for 14.5 years, 5311 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

Way too many problems...Megapath, be gone!

Since trying to upgrade our speed and not being able to due to the bridged modem and our first mile connection, plus horrendous problems with them knowing which foot they were standing on with email, etc. and having to send way too many TT's, enough was enough. It would have been much easier staying with them had we had a real option, but we didn't. Hence, we're out of there and at a nice cost savings too, IMHO. Our service should be cut off as of tomorrow. I am hoping that they won't create further problems with their billing as I've read that they have done in the past when one has been canceling their service.
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

Review by jksnake See Profile

• Location: Culver City,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Pure Internet connection with none of the nonsense interference that you get from cable companies and many other DSL providers."
Bad "Nothing for Speakeasy. Verizon, the telco provider, screwed up my circuit provisioning during install. That's why the 20 days."
Overall "I have 8 public IPs that I make good use of with an enterprise class server running 4 mail servers and 1 web server."

I have had Speakeasy DSL service for over 13 years starting with IDSL.
I have never had a problem with them that they did not resolve within 24
hours. The only issue that I have ever had was with the provisioning
carrier (Verizon) when I moved to a new location and re-established my
service there. Speakeasy is a bit more expensive than other providers
but in their case you get what you pay for.

Comments:

Review by mrweigand See Profile

• Location: Chesterland,Geauga,OH
Good "Easy to move their reliable service to new location."
Bad "Coordination with ATT was lacking. (ATT's fault, but...)"
Overall "Very reliable service."

Update: Megapath has taken over Covad and Speakeasy. With the take-over comes a new "Regulatory Recovery Surcharge". Basically a 10% price increase for nothing they weren't already doing. So, we're going to take the plunge and try Time Warner Business class Cable service. Much, much faster, somewhat cheaper, includes a digital phone line (we use cell service mostly) and we'll keep the Megapath running for a month to compare reliability. Stay tuned for the next review.

Old Review:

We've had both ATT and Speakeasy DSL connected for the last year. We were considering dropping Speakeasy because of the higher cost.

The very poor quality of ATT DSL sold us on Speakeasy being worth twice the price of ATT.

Speakeasy just works. With Speakeasy, we don't have any of the stop and start flaky connection issues like we experience with ATT. After 18 months (and multiple routers/modems), ATT still hasn't figured-out what is wrong with their line or equipment.

Comments:

Review by sharondippity See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
  • Telco party SBC
Good "service has almost never been disrupted"
Bad "don't know yet"
Overall "haven't had a problem to test out their customer service yet"

I have had no problems with Speakeasy besides a one hour outage a month or so ago. I have yet to try to resolve anything with their customer service because they have not given me a reason to do so. I had a miscommunication at the very beginning with some jacka$$ who had terrible phone manners, i.e. interrupting me and talking to me as if I were an imbecile. Every company has their token jacka$$ so that does not even factor into how I think their service is overall. I have nothing but praise so far.

**update**

switched to Sonic 11-18-2010 for better price and faster speed.

Comments:

Review by uid8 See Profile

None

Comments:

Review by garmst See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Consistent high speed. Runs at specified data rate. Good support."
Bad "None that I can think of at this point."
Overall "Speakeasy remains my ISP of choice. I had them at 2 apartments and all went well."

I have the 8/1 ADSL service. 99% of the time it runs a full speed. I moved from my old apartmetn that had Speakeasy and they handled the move/install so I had no downtime after the move. New ADSL2 modem was in and running BEFORE I moved. Installation staff worked well. My special instructions went into the system and were followed. Site install technician was a fast and knowledgeable guy.

Up to this point Speakeasy is my choice above Time Warner Cable. I wish I had more upload but ADSL2 can only go so far.

member for 14.1 years, 2070 visits, last login: 3.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by noonbug See Profile

• Location: Fremont,Alameda,CA
Good "Fast, reliable service, reasonable prices, allows you to run your own servers, and really great customer service"

I'm providing an after the fact review, as we just canceled our account today. We'd never have done so except that their switch from AT&T to Covad left us out of their coverage area. They personally called us a month ago to let us know that this would be happening in December, apologizing profusely.

We've been Speakeasy customers for nearly 5 years now, as best I can recall. I can count the downtime on one hand, and we've only ever needed to call their technical support twice - once for help with initial setup and once to shut it down. They were friendly, efficient and competent at both ends.

We paid for their 1.5/384 service with static IPs, but were regularly getting 3/768, if not better. We went with them initially because they were one of the few providers we could find at the time that had no problem allowing us to run our own servers AND supplied static IPs at a reasonable cost - many note that it is against their terms of service.

We found many more options this time around, but still are sad to be leaving this company.

Comments:

Review by khalberg See Profile

• Location: Cleveland,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Four static IP's at 5Mb, good support"
Bad "Would like to have a service breakout that would allow some features to be dropped to make the service a bit cheaper per month."
Overall "Pricing and support for multiple PC's/Gaming at a reasonable cost"

Have looked at cable and AT&T, but these are much more expensive when you get a static IP and you have to pay for each upgrade of speed for up/down.

1.5Mb/384Kb Down/Up

ZyXel 600 Modem

Support has been great!

Upgraded last week to 6Mb service after testing 3Mb with good results. I am getting over 4.5Mb with speeds usually just over 5100Kbps. Speakeasy support was able to change the service over the phone and let me try it to see how the service worked before changing.

Very satisfied with the service and support. Wish that the service was a bit less expensive, but I don't have cable and my VOIP is cheap with VIATak (highly recomended also) so I am saving there.

VOIP works much better with the higher speed. They would break up sometimes when we were downloading or streaming at the 1.5Mbps speed.

Comments:

Review by robscullion See Profile

• Location: Philadelphia,Philadelphia,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Explicit rights to run Web/Mail/FTP servers on the account,"
Bad "Pricey"
Overall "Great DSL Provider. Good VoIP provider. Worth the extra $"

January 2002

I ordered the sysadmin 608/128 RADSL static IP package for $59.95/month on 11/28. Installation was accomplished via a self-install kit from Covad using line-share DSL. Got the self-install kit in the mail around 12/8 or so and was up and running using the SpeedStream 5260 at ~ 520/111 a hour or so later. I checked around and those #'s seemed to be about what was to be expected from 608/128 RADSL.

Called to have my extra IP allocated and it was taken care of on the spot. Same with our extra email box and shell account. I don't currently use the web-space of news services so I can't really comment on that. Customer service has been great every time I've contacted them. During the ordering process, the TAC system was very effective in communicating where my order was and what, if any, issues were pending.

Beyond the premium price, It's hard to find fault with Speakeasy. They've delivered on everything they promised me so far and I've never had a less than pleasant interaction with the folks running the phones and feedback system. I've also had great support from Covad directly on these forums regarding service upgrade possibilities. In the end, the explicit right to run servers was what sold me on the service. Not having to deal with PPPoE is another benefit.. I guess you have to pay a little more for good service but so far it's a trade-off I'm happy to make.

November 11th, 2005

Due to a recent apartment move, on 10/13 I called up SE to switch my service from the old place to the new place. I was pretty sure I wanted to try OneLink + VoIP but wasn't clear on some of the details. After talking to SE sales, I in fact decided to go with that configuration using the low-end TechPlus package, which is 1.5/384 with 2 static IPs. The OneLink package at that speed was $65.95/month + fees. Speakeasy Voice is $23.95/month + fees for the usual unlimited local + NA long distance plus voice-mail, call waiting etc. Since I was signing up for both at once the $100 setup for OneLink and the $40 setup for Voice were both waived. I ended up being responsible only the $16 S/H fee for the ATA, in addition to the 12 month contract on DSL + VoIP. After a brief discussion with the sales rep, we decided to skip shipping Broadxent modem since my Speedstream 5260 should be fine for the task and it would let me skip doing the $100 rebate dance.

On 10/21, the Verizon tech showed up right on schedule to setup the dry pair. He had to install a new NID since the existing wiring was pretty messy. I was pleasantly suprised at the great job & service he provided, considering the problems I've heard of with other ILEC/CLEC interactions.

On 10/26, the Covad rep showed up, also on schedule, to setup the DSL connection. The Covad tech was very professional & helpful, answering my newbie questions about VoIP wiring etc while he examined the home wiring looking for the right pair for the DSL. He even installed a new wall-jack since the old one looked pretty suspect. All in all, he did a quick thorough job and the connection has been rock solid since day 1.

On 11/2, I received my VoIP ATA (Moto VT1005s) from SE and put that in place. That commenced a few days of outages with both my DSL connection and VoIP which I was, unfortunately, to busy to properly diagnose. On Saturday, after reading the ATA manual poking around the ATA management interface and talking to support it turned out that the ATA was using the same static IP I had used on my NAT router. I have no idea how I ever got inbound IP connections at all in that 2 day period, but that was obviously the root of them problem. I switched to the other IP listed for my account and the problem was completely resolved.

Since then, both the DSL and VoIP service have performed flawlessly. Voice quality has been excellant and no service interruptions to date. The QoS thing seems to work well also, although I haven't really stressed it by talking during a BT session or anything. I also have yet to play with the extras, like accessing voice mail via IMAP etc but the basics are working well.

Aside from the confusion regarding the static IP on the ATA and the router I don't think this could have gone smoother. I was a bit suprised that the techs didn't hit on the static IP issue right off, but they were probably giving me too much credit to think I'd mess that up. It would be good if the IPs for a given account were ID'd as public or VoIP to avoid this in the future. It's not clear from the TAC interface which IP is allocated for VoIP and which is for regular service. The fact that the TechPlus package comes with 2 static IPs just confused the issue further.

The only real gripe I had was the serial nature of the OneLink and VoIP setups. Luckily, I wasn't porting a number, so it took only a week or so to get that going. Still, it added around a week to the overall install period. If that could be done in parallel, it would certainly be a lot nicer.

Generally, the whole experience confirmed my confidence in SE as a top notch operation. Given that I had no unscheduled outages of note in my entire tenure with them, I'm expecting the same sort of experience with the new naked DSL and VoIP service.

November 13th, 2005

I had a chance to check out the quality if the VoIP connection while torrenting a few files. It's not flawless, but the quality was tolerable. It sort of "burbled" a bit as if there were small micro-dropouts, but never got to the point where is seriously affected the conversation. So I'd give the QoS on Speakeasy Voice an A-. Not perfect, but definitely good enough.

November 22nd, 2005

Just wanted to sound a positive note for the SE billing dept. During the course of troubleshooting the VoIP problem, the tech shipped out a new DSL modem to me freeof charge. I was a little dismayed to see a $99 self-install kit charge show up on my bill today. I called SE ready for a tussle and was pleasently surprised when the tech simply verified my story via the trouble ticket system and issued a $99 credit. I had heard that the billing dept did not get the same high marks as SE tech support, but so far they've handled the few billing issues I've had quickly and to my complete satisfaction.

Reading back my whole log, I probably come off like a SE shill or a fan-boi. All I can say is that, having dealt with Comcast, Verizon & AOL, getting this kind of service from a company makes me want to let people know. I'm generally a cheapskate (one of the reasons I switched to VoIP) but in this case I've found SE really does provide superior value for the extra money.

December 4, 2005

Just a VoIP update as the data service has been problem free. VoIP quality is decent, but some calls do sound a bit garbled. It hasn't been so bad that it actually interfereed with the conversation, but there are occasional micro-drop outs and echoes. Also, I confirmed something observed by another user: SE VoIP caller ID is phone # only, not # + name. Kind of weird and annoying if you're used to standard POTS caller ID, which gives both.

Neither problem is enough to make me want to switch away from SE Voice, but I'd say it's not quite up to the quality of POTS yet. So far I've never failed to have a call placed and no one has mentioned problems dialing in, so it's still looking like a reliable service. Just not *quite* POTS in terms of sound quality.

December 27, 2005

I saw in the SE forum that Caller ID + Name is back. Just wanted to note it here to be fair to Speakeasy. I was also recently informed that I've got free international calling to 22 countries. I doubt I'll ever use it, but it's a feature of the service so it seemed worth mentioning.

March 18, 2006

Voice quality on the VoIP line has settled out at decent to good. Most of the time the quality is somewhere between that of a cell phone and a POTS line. I have had several instances in the last month of calls in which one party could suddenly no longer hear the other. I'm pretty sure most of them involved calls to cell phones, but I'm not sure if that's significant. Otherwise, I really can't complain. It's still pricey overall, but no outages for either the DSL or the VoIP.

June 09, 2006

I discovered a month or so back that most of my quality problems with my SE Voice service actually stemmed from a combination of 2.4ghz cordless phones and a pair of WRT54G wireless routers. I was fooled as we had a similar combination at our old place before my Oct move and didn't notice any problems. That was before I added a second WRT and setup a WDS "bridge" to my front room just after our move. Once we purchased 5.8ghz units, the voice quality improved dramatically. Still just a shade below POTS but no longer as burbly as I had previously reported

June 09, 2009

Having retired my home server sometime last year and moved over to Comcast HSI last month, I finally made the difficult phone call to disconnect my SE service. I still give SE very high marks for reliability and professionalism, but $70/month for 1.5mbit DSL is just too much when I'm no longer taking advantage of the perks. I wish I could keep the VoIP service, but it only rides on their own network so it will have to go as well. I've left it active for the next few days as I pursue options for porting the number (which was an option I didn't know I had), but as of now I'm effectively an ex-Speakeasy customer.

As always, the Speakeasy rep was professional and helpful, even pointing out the possibility of porting our number to another provider. I got more than 7 good and trouble-free years from Speakeasy and would recommend them in a heartbeat to anyone who needs a residential broadband service with static IP and the right to run servers. It comes at a fairly steep price, but if that's what you need, this is the company you want to go with.

Sept 05, 2009

Last entry. Had a bit of a mixup with the SE billing dept. I thought I was free-and-clear following the port of my VoIP number to Comcast, but I received a letter this week telling me I owed $10.19. Called the SE #, talked to the customer service rep and he waived the remaining balance and confirmed that my account was closed, bringing my experience with SE to a pleasant conclusion.

member for 12.8 years, 3761 visits, last login: 134 days ago

Comments:

Review by jonnyblaze See Profile

• Location: Cupertino,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Overall awesome service! I have had them since I've moved back to CA (in 2001)."
Bad "Can't really think of any..."
Overall "Their support is tops in my book!"

They have been a very even-keel company since I've had them. I have moved 4 times since I came back out here and no problems on each move.

My Parents also have them with no problems either.

Highly recommend them!