Speakeasy page on DSLReports

Review by mgentz See Profile

• Location: Arlington,Middlesex,MA
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "The single best domestic service provider of any type that I have worked with!"
Bad "None. All positive points far outweigh any minor issues."
Overall "If you want the best service and best customer care value for dollar you can't go wrong - I've been with them for over 3 years"

I just got off the phone with customer service to follow up on a question about the three modems that I now own due to having two households and three moves (one across the country) during the last few years. Speakeasy gave me an automatic credit for one of these modems without me even having to return it in appreciation for my years as a customer.

My latest install was in August and it was the third move I have made while using Speakeasy for over 3 years now. Once again everyone involved with installation and moves (you know who you are V.N. did a stellar job and I had my service up and running within 13 days with absolutely no downtime and continued to keep the old service for the remainder of the month. Each time the process had become smoother and easier for me to deal with - these guys really have it down.

I have had virtually no down time in my years with the service, and in the few instances where technical problems caused downtime the problem has always been resolved in short order. I rely on DSL for my work - I'm a programmer and work on distributed web applications so I can't afford downtime or bad connectivity when I have to do any work at home. If you need or want the highest quality service - both in tems of DSL service delivery and customer service - I believe that Speakeasy has the best value for dollar of any DSL service, or any household service for that matter. I have dealt with many providers of service in moving into this new house, including local telcos, national and international long distance carriers, utility companies, and yes even contractors and other service providers, and I dearly wish that all of these companies and businesses could provide half the quality of service that Speakeasy has provided me. At one point while visiting the 02476 area before moving here I was using the Speakeasy local dial-up numbers to get online while traveling. I called the local telco to verify which numbers were long distance to avoid charges - they told me that the numbers speakeasy provided me were 'not legitimate telephone numbers'. I told them I was surprised because I had used one of them to get online in order to find the telephone number for the call that I was making to them. As it turned out, Speakeasy knew more abut the local telcos operation than they did, and this type of knowledge allows them to run the service and installs in a superior manner. Hats off!

My Service:

Note that I have a dedicated line and 1.5/256 service for 64.46 per month. I might be able to get a comparable DSL package for a little less, but I doubt I could get the value that the quality of Speakeasy customer service and knowledge provide me with for less, or for an even higher price for that matter.

ADSL 1.5/256

Dedicated DSL line (not shared with my phone line - $5.00 extra / month)

static IP

modem: Broadxent Brite Port

set up fee: $99.00

hardware (modem) $99.00

per month: $64.46

Comments:

Review by klaviste See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party SBC
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Reasonable price, easy to get to support"
Bad "somewhat degrading over time?"
Overall "They seem to be willing to work with your problem"

Well, it's not all about them, but they were willing to work with my clients whenever there were problems. One of the location got too slow from a certain point, but their sales support as well as tech support put significant effort to try different things.

One thing they can improve is saving their DSL modems. Whenever they reset an account, we got a new DSL modem. We don't need them -_-;;

member for 10.4 years, 156 visits, last login: 2.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by mikeali See Profile

• Location: Lake Forest,Orange,CA
  • Telco party Covad
Good "Great Customer Service"

Great people are working in there. They all have smile when they talk. Very professional. Always there for you. Excelent customer service. Professional Sales and Support Team.

Mike

member for 10.4 years, 13 visits, last login: 10.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by ndreadis See Profile

• Location: Laurel,Prince Georges,MD
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Customer service, communication."
Overall "An excellent ISP overall."

This is the way it should be done - Speakeasy does everything in their power to keep you happy & up-to-date. Order & install process was as smooth as possible, received a very good Broadxent modem. Also like the very "generic" (ie - simple) setup - just a single static IP very easy to share on a network - no "dialers", software, PPP, or other BS.

Comments:

Review by efk See Profile

• Location: Westlake,Cuyahoga,OH
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Fast connection, knowledgeable tech support, no blocked ports, no PPOE"
Bad "None significant"
Overall "Highly recommended"

·WOW Internet and..
OneLink 6.0/768 Sysadmin package ordered and installed without any problems. The package comes with 4 static IP's and 8 email addresses. The only catch is that the service starts at 1.5 download speed and should automatically be upgraded to 6.0. Mine was not upgraded, and I had to open a service ticket to get that resolved. Then I was told the fastest I could connect at was 3.0. Needless to say, I was very irritated about that since I was told I could get 6.0. It was ultimately not true; I can connect at 4.8.

Overall, I highly recommend Speakeasy. Especially after 3 years with Earthlink who refused to upgrade me when the 3.0 service came out. The tech support people have all been very helpful and professional, and all of my issues were resolved promptly.

Comments:

Review by jlui See Profile

• Location: North Hollywood,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party SBC
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Didn't actually have to Speak to anyone - it was quite Easy."
Bad "Pricey - but you get what you pay for.."
Overall "Good stand-alone infrastructure ready to shake off any instability - sound web interfaces."

6/10/2001
My previous DSL provider (KTB.net) experienced problems with its
Covad-based partner, which went out-of-business as of the end of May
2001. They surveyed many of the local providers and made arrangements with
SPEAKEASY.net to convert the account to a Speakeasy.net account with no
charges involved, and a similar monthly fee structure.

The switch-over was extremely easy and quick, with only one glitch (the
on-line order form provided the incorrect FAX number to transmit the signed
ISP release form to, which delayed the switch-over by 24 hours). The
on-line Total Account Control (TAC) system made it easy to view the status
of the switch-over at any time, which gave me the information needed to
send the release to the correct FAX immediately. After that, everything
happened seamlessly and painlessly. Total elapsed time from initial request
to change of ISP IP addresses on my end was 3 days (67 hours to be exact).

So far, throughput has been 100% of what was agreed to in my account
profile (averaging 128 to 160KB/sec transmission speed very
consistently.) Even adding a second e-mail account was handled quickly,
all via on-line request forms. This is a 1.5/384 ADSL account ($89/mo). Re-used my existing Covad equipment (Efficient Networks 5260) 2 Static IPs.

So far, extremely satisfied with both customer support and service provider
alike.

Update 9/7/2004 -
Ordered upgrades to 6/784 ($115.74/mo) 2 months ago, and have had reliable performance at around 5/680, so I'm quite happy. (now 4 static IPs) I rely upon this connection for VPN support of remote administration of my systems at work, so basically, I can't tolerate unanticipated downtime. Tried cable modems (Adelphia) - yuck. My local neighbors with SBC/Yahoo DSL seem to be up/down rather randomly.

So basically, I've been with Speakeasy for going on 4 years now. Perfectly happy with service and performance. Sometimes on-line support is a little slow at responding to change orders (like 2 to 3 days sometimes) - like when I temporarily decided to boost my Usenet allocations, or change service grade. But overall, quite pleased with everything, including the self-service features of the web site that keep getting better.

Sometimes wish their spam filters worked a little better, but I have MailWasher Pro for that. And 4 years later, the 5260 is still up and running (24 x 7) with no trouble at all (I did end up sticking the main ADSL box, a 4-way switch, and dual routers on a UPS after a few local power brown-outs, and since then, rock steady performance.)

I plan on switching in gigabit switches next since all the workstations and servers are upgraded already. Am interested in seeing if anything improves with that.

Comments:

Review by dkounter See Profile

• Location: Morristown,Morris,NJ
Good "Everything worked the first time, and has continued to do so"
Bad "Rebate sucks"
Overall "Good ISP"

After having a nightmare of a time with Cablevision and Earthlink, I decided to give Speakeasy a try (based on the reports I read here). What a relief!! They did everything they said they would. My throughput is nice and speedy (over 1MB on a DSL line!!).

Only dings against them are kind of minor. First of all, there's a quota on newgroups. You can only view a certain amount per month. Actually, it's pretty generous (1Gb I believe), but still - in the past I never had a quota before. Second is the rebate. I assume I'm still getting it, but after 6 months I still haven't seen my money yet.

I've been with them since February of '04, and I;m very happy so far. Like I said, the only complaints I have with them are somewhat minor.

Comments:

Review by keLston See Profile

• Location: Bayside,Queens,NY
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Consistently fast, great gaming pings, fast, pro-active support"
Overall "If you're a gamer, Speakeasy is for you"

*Note: This 5 days to live is misleading. This was actually 13 days before Verizon fixed my problem with downtime, but that's not Speakeasy's fault and they gave me a refund for downtime despite letting me run in safe mode (About 900/600 instead of 1536/768).

Speed ordered: 1.5Mbps/768kbps
Monthly price: 89.95 (Gamer Package)
Order process: Smooth as silk
Install process: Can't really rate as they didn't need me to be at home to install it, everything was on their end or the CO's end, which is good

Home equipment: BroadXent (Creative Company) BritePort modem, a little on the cheap side I would say, no On/Off/Reset switch, modem gets very hot

Package comes with 2 Static IPs

Review:

Yes, Speakeasy is expensive. It's really a premium service. To be honest, I sincerely doubt that their target demographic is the average home user as the price point is much higher than standard phone company offered DSL. However, the price is justified by what you get in return.

Initially, I had a bit of intermittency with the line and it turns out it was Verizon's fault and Speakeasy got on them to fix it very fast. The representative with Speakeasy called me at home at a convenient hour (not during dinner) and made sure everything was running smoothly after Verizon reported they had fixed it.

Since then, i've been running great. It's not a file-sharer's connection, I max out at about 168KB/sec download and around 80KB/sec upload. It is however a gamer's connection. I don't know what they're doing but they claim they have their routing done through InterNAP, a company who I was impressed with back when I had 56k.

Playing on West Coast servers, i've been able to achieve a ping all the way down to 16ms, usually averaging around 40ms. Being as i'm on the East Coast, it's amazing i'm pinging better to West Coast servers than people much closer to the server.

I'm enjoying pings I couldn't even get running on my campus' unblocked T1 line and i'm getting customer support that seems to have 3 representatives assigned directly to me as I usually get responses within 2 hours even at 4am in the morning.

I may have been hesitant to sign up for a 12 month contract, but Speakeasy can expect to keep me for as long as they keep this up.

Comments:

Review by daveho See Profile

• Location: Greenbelt,Prince Georges,MD
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "fast, reliable, low latency, geek-friendly"
Bad "a bit pricy, rebate process is very annoying"
Overall "it works, we're happy"

Moved into new apartment, needed DSL. According to the service check on their websites, neither Verizon nor Earthlink offered service to our address. (This was strange, since my fiancee had Earthlink DSL at her previous address, less than 1/4 mile away.) So, we tried Speakeasy, and bingo, we're in business.

We ordered their most basic package, which is 1.5Mb down/256Kb up, for $49.95 a month. The installation and equipment charge was about $200, with a $199 rebate. The install kit arrived in about 7 days, and when we hooked up the modem and configured our router, it worked. Nice.

We had some strange connection problems at first. We could hear some interference on the phone line when placing voice calls, even with the DSL filter installed. Also, the modem tended to lose sync whenever we picked up the phone, and transfer rates were about 30KB/s in both directions. I wasn't entirely surprised that there were problems, since the wiring in our building is ancient. However, before I had a chance to contact Speakeasy for tech support, the problem mysteriously went away. Since then, we get the full bandwidth advertised, and no interference on the voice line. Reliability is excellent. I think it's been out once in the 2.5 months since we ordered it. Latency is great: 24 ms round trip to the computer I use at school. (Earthlink was typically around 70 ms.)

One interesting fact: the service we ordered was dynamic IP, but we received a static IP.

At least when we ordered it, Speakeasy did not have free installation. You pay about $200 for the install and the equipment, and then there is a $199 rebate. It's been 2.5 months, and still no rebate check. The web page where supposedly you can check the status of a rebate does not work. I assume we'll get the rebate eventually, but who knows.

In the end, it's a pretty good price for excellent connectivity.

Comments:

Review by oneacn See Profile

• Location: Fraser,Macomb,MI
  • Telco party Ameritech
Good "Onelink DSL"

·Verizon Wireless..
·T-Mobile US
I am *attempting* to order onelink dsl through speakeasy will update when i get more information.