Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

Speakeasy page on DSLReports

Review by KoolMoe See Profile

• Location: Annapolis,Anne Arundel,MD
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Most installs well done, service reliable and speedy"
Bad "Billing was a PITA for a short time"
Overall "Solid service, great TOS, competent techs"

We had three RTHM lines for work..well, two for work and one for my house. Was very pleased with the RTHM lines...
But with notice of bankruptcy, had to find alternatives. With three office locations, picked SpeakEasy's MultiOffice offering, mostly cause we pay to outsource our website/email, and with 384k SDSL Multioffice, webhosting was free.

Install for Location 1 was no problem: Signed up, Verizon made a loop qualification within two weeks (!!), install date given, tech showed up, line was installed, speeds are good.
Hassle: we wanted DHCP/NAT, but they couldn't get it working on the Netopia 7200. No idea why. IMO, they should have sent us a new router... So we just setup our own firewall anyway.

Location 2 was no problem either. This was at home, so pretty basic. Installer came, ran wire, service up and running at advertised speeds and no problems since.
Hassle: I needed a line run about 15 feet from MPOE. Installer said no problem. He was onsite for about 45 minutes. At end of install, was asked to sign his 'inside wiring invoice'. I assumed it was just so he could account for his time. However, few days later, an $88 wiring charge appears on my bill! When inquired, turns out installers are only allotted 15 minutes per house, and more is charged to the customer!
Neither SpeakEasy nor the Covad installer mentioned this extra charge to me. I had to bitch and withhold all payment for a month, but finally got the charge credited back. No way I was gonna pay this blindside bill, especially paying $155 a month! They resolved it to my satisfaction.

Location 3, a little more of a problem, though I think most blame lies with Ameritech. They continually missed their loop qualification dates, so Covad had to keep pushing back the install date. Was JUST installed, 6 weeks after contract was signed. Thank GOODNESS the RTHM line was still working!
SpeakEasy not to blame here, maybe Covad, likely Ameritech.
Still trying to get DHCP/NAT working there, but hopefully will be resolved. If it doesn't work, will need to do a firewall there too. If they can't get it to work, a little suspect of their Netopia capabilities (though they've been very friendly .

Overall hassles:
Billing's 'voicemail box is full' happened too often. Get more message space or check and clear them more often. But overall, not a big thing. Just tried later. And some credit for problems related to WTC tragedy.

They MUST make installers tell you, or otherwise notify you, that more than 15 minutes of installer time will be billed TO YOU. I was stunned at the charge, and was pissed, though finally satisfied.

'MySpeak' (aka 'TAC') needs a little improvement. Our IP ranges, Gateway, subnet, etc have changed for 2 of 3 locations, but MySpeak page does not reflect those changes. Have been a couple hassles using wrong IP's, needing to call and get new ones. That's the only defficiency of that site- overall, their site is very helpful and well put-together!

**update** TAC is better, but the billing/payment section still needs improvement...

Overall opinion:
Very happy with SpeakEasy since they did the right thing and fixed the inside-wiring billing hassle. Tech support wait not unreasonably long, and helpfuly, friendly folks on the other end. A little pricey, but hey, I could get Residential service if cost was the biggest factor. Keep my lines running at good speeds and answer my questions in a timely manner, and I'll be a faithful customer for years!
So, when is VoIP coming?
---

Update 11/12/2004
I continue to be very happy with SE. I've gone through a couple upgrades over the years (that last review was 2002, I think) and my costs have gone down or stayed the same.
I now have the 6.0/768 package which gives me about 4.5/640 fairly reliably (sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less - I've yet to break 5.1 down).

My house has apparently moved over the years. I'm now at 9700ft as opposed to the 6000ft when I first got DSL here. But for that distance, I'm pleased, though faster would be cooler (esp. upload - 1mb someday!).
The value, though, I think is the best part. As more and more ISPs crackdown on usage, SE remains solid in their committment to allow the ability to run servers and no caps. With the work I do (large multimedia files), this is crucial.

Very pleased with stability, very pleased (mostly) with tech support when I need it. Very pleased with the overall deal. Would love faster, would love cheaper, but it's worth what I pay so far.

Looking into OneLink and VOIP. Not yet - waiting for the whole thing to stabilize a bit - but someday, no doubt.

I continue to highly recommend SE to those who need the flexibility and service they provide. If you need a basic connection and don't mind it up and down, go with your ILEC or cable. You want a quality connection and company (and ain't too far out), go SpeakEasy!
---

Update 07/01/2006
I switched to OneLink. If you do this, definitely get it installed and running before you cancel the current shared ADSL service. Once I was satisfied OneLink was solid, I cancelled. I spend about $5 more per month and got slightly better down speeds (pretty consistent 5.0/640).

I run SunRocket VOIP over that OneLink line as a secondary business phone and fax line.

I still have 1 line with Verizon for main house and 911 reliability.

My connection still drops when it rains a lot which kinda sucks, but I can live with it.
Still pleased with the service. I do hope they work out something to resell FIOS as it's coming very soon. Not sure how loyal I can be....

Update 03/26/07
Speakeasy has been purchased by Best Buy. I'm pretty sure my contract is up, or is shortly. Will give them some time to work out a current speed issue and see where it goes.
Ever since the Feb. ice storm taking down my POTS line and VZ taking down my OneLink line when fixing the POTS line, then the FIOS installers rigging the DSL signal from the pole-to-house using the POTS line's 2nd pair (which, with Fios, doesn't/shouldn't have a dialtone runnning through the 1st pair any more)...about two weeks after all that, my line is only stable in Safe Mode.
So if that's resolved, I'll may just wait and see where the Best Buy purchase leads. If not resolved, I'll likely bag it for FIOS (or alternate [LB]DSL) sooner than later. Not gonna pay this premium for 3.0/768.

I am also reducing my rating with the change from 5 to 4 for 'Connection reliability' and 'Value for money'.

Update 01/08/08
Goodbye Speakeasy.
With the same speed (slightly faster) available via FIOS for more than half the cost (doing triple play, so essentially $40/month), I just can't justify the premium anymore for unreliable service. The line did stabilize for the most part, but would still go out at the slightest hint of thunder. Then more recently, would have significant routing issues when trying to watch online shows (nbc.com, etc).

Was sure to ask the VZ installers to LEAVE my POTS copper up, just in case, and I do miss the ease of running servers at home via my SE static IPs... But as long as the VZ line is stable and up, no regrets so far, even if I am feeding the behemoth.
SE should have worked harder at reselling VZ's FIOS service.

-KoolMoe

Comments:

Review by litephaze See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA
  • Telco party Covad
Good "SpeakeasyŽ is VERY FLEXIBLE in terms of working out terms, etc."
Bad "Wish e-mail storage was above 100megs ;-o"
Overall "They KNOW customer-service! WHO else in telecommunications does that?"

·SONIC.NET
In spite of e-mail cap. limit, it is WELL WORTH IT!! They have been SO GOOD TO ME!!! Since when does a company do that these days? Hell, yer phone can get cut-off NO NOTICE!!! Just for calling customer service too much. Hence, next thing you know, you get a notice days later explaining "why" and if you have ANY questions, to call customer service$%$&^^)(*&!!!! Speakeasy has been VERY GOOD to me on not several but MANY occasions. I'll take a shabby e-mail box ANY day when you get what I do from said business. I STRONGLY recommend Speakeasy™

Something I forgot to mention: (12-21-07)

IF in the UN-ANTICIPATED event, "you" are burdened by a virus/trojan, etc., it is NOT unusual for an ISP to interrupt your service for "security reasons"!

Speakeasy™ will actually take the two minutes (if that) to phone the customer (based on the contact furnished to them) and start the conversation with: "In case you aren't already aware...". To me, that has been a HUGE help! jUST WANTED to add that in there...

Comments:

Review by psichod See Profile

• Location: Sunnyvale,Santa Clara,CA
  • Telco party Covad
Good "Extremely low latency"
Bad "Expensive"
Overall "Great quality"

The quality of the connection is phenomenal. I've never seen anything even close to what I have right now. My ping almost anywhere throughout the country is less then 20 ms and less then 10 to the West cost. It is expensive, but if you're looking for the quality SpeakEasy is the way to go.

Comments:

Review by bajajoe See Profile

• Location: Fort Lee,Bergen,NJ
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Friendy, good tech support ,all american based ,fast speeds"
Bad "None almost except for 8 megs email size would prefer 10 meg."
Overall "For $5.00 more than Verizon can't be beat! twice the speed"

My experience with speakeasy has been very good I have been with them for more than two years and have never looked back except to change my price ....it went down $45.00 because Verizon started to compete with them offering cheaper prices for almost the same plan.my only complaint is email message size is limited to 8 meg.

Comments:

Review by Bondman See Profile

• Location: Livonia,Wayne,MI
Good "Speakeasy is going back to basics and take care of customers!"
Overall "If you want a ISP for the long run go with Speakeasy!"

Oct 2007
I did call Mr. Myers late today and had a very professional conversation with him. I am very happy to report that my concerns have been addressed with Speakeasy and no longer need to consider any ISP changes.
My confidence with Speakeasy has been greatly increased with the fast response to my concerns and the fact that someone from Speakeasy is monitoring this forum.

Sept 2006
Unfortunately Speakeasy has gone downhill bigtime this year. I do not like how they handle the keeping of gov fees even though the gov actually dropped them.
The webmail is still very slow. Back 2 months ago they attempted an upgrade of the webmail system, it had issues, they removed it and have done nothing since on this matter. I have had more latency issues at times than in previous years.

2004
Kat Oak is fantastic along with Lawrence when it comes to taking care of customer needs!

member for 13.6 years, 3663 visits, last login: 3.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by DarkThrone See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA
  • Telco party SBC
Good "Everything."
Bad "none."
Overall "Awesome"

Update 09-29-2007

The price has gone down a bit, something like 63.00 a month or so.

Best Buy has bought Speakeasy.

No issues really, since the last review. In fact, all is well.

I will be moving to South Dakota though, no idea if Speakeasy is there or not.

Update 10-13-2005

Everything is still going well with my service. Price has since dropped, service is still top notch.

Dont really know what more can be said, I'm happy with them.

Thanks.

Update - 08-14-2003

Seeing that this site reminded me to update my review on speakeasy, I must say that honestly, well, there's not much to say at all.

Service and everything has been just perfect. I even moved since the last update, and good god did everything go smoothly and very quickly. I was really worried about perhaps not having service for a while, but that wasnt the case. When I moved into the new house, line was already working and everything!

Anyway, I wouldnt swtich for the world.

End of update.

_________________________________________________

I have the 1500/384 speed I believe. This review will be short. I've had zero problems with Speakeasy (ok, maybe 2 or 3 times service was down, but was brief)

I had Telocity (now direct TV Dsl) and they just dropped the ball so to speak. I have a review on them, so I listed the probs on that review.

From the moment that I ordered until live, it was painless and fast.

Btw, I believe service started on 08-29-2001. I thought that I'd update my isp review (a reminder was on screen here at this site)

Edit on 12-31-2002 -

Since this review, zero problems with Speakeasy. In fact, couldn't be happier. Speeds have been constant, zero tech problems, etc.

I first thought that I was set up for the gamers package, but found out it's sys/admin package. No worries though.

member for 14.3 years, 4711 visits, last login: 3.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by NbWY1 See Profile

• Location: Manassas,Prince William,VA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Excellent Tech Support/Service"
Bad "Price/Speed"
Overall "It's IDSL :\"

I ordered 144/144 IDSL @ 89.95 a month, it came to about $99 a month total, with an extra IP or 2. Order/installation took 12 days.

Pinged google at 23ms @ 17750 feet.

Perfect uptime.

Comments:

Review by soccerguy See Profile

• Location: Seattle,King,WA
Good "Unbeatable customer service & tech support; rock-solid connection"
Bad "A bit pricey"
Overall "I'd rather pay a little bit more for the top notch service and support."

I'd rather pay a little bit more for the top notch service and support, rather that go with the cheapest, WalMart-ish type ISP who give you only a connection and a phone number to a call center somewhere in Asia.

The monthly cost for me includes dry-pair dsl and Speakeasy VOIP. Even with Speakeasy's higher dsl costs, it saves me money every month by not having to pay for a local phone line, local phone service/taxes, and the obligatory long distance monthly charge (thanks Qwest!).

member for 10.8 years, 1231 visits, last login: 4.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by eric_n_dfw See Profile

• Location: Euless,Tarrant,TX
  • Telco party Covad
Good "Top notch tech support, no PPoE, Static IP's, near 0 unsched' outages"
Bad "Billing is confusing - a few VoIP issues - pricy compared to others"
Overall "Decent value for power users, but a bit pricy for mom & pop web surfers"

--- Updated 8/30/2007 11:14pm CDT ---
Oh, how I rue the day I left the blissful, calm and predictable waters that were Speakeasy DSL. Earthlink DSL loses sync multiple times a day, the voice service is okay when it works, but has random dropouts for no apparent reason. The worst part is that there is nobody who speaks English or that gives a rat's behind if my service sucks or not. As soon as I can jump this sinking ship, I'll be back at Speakeasy. Saving a few bucks is simply not worth it.

--- Updated 11/30/2006 11:20am CDT ---
I have just transferred to Earthlink DSL with Line Power Voice. Speakeasy was rock solid (the DSL at least), but they still are not offering any lower prices or higher speeds that compare with what other DSL and Cable providers now offer. (Their 6MB tier is much more expensive than EarthLink's 8MB or Time Warner in my area)

I've been very happy, overall, with them, but I really need faster upload speeds and don't want to pay what they charge. Static IP's were nice, but DynDNS is good enough for my uses. Earthlink's Line Powered Voice is also very nice - basically the same price as Speakeasy's voip for similar features without the need to run a VoIP adapter at my house.

Once my 12 month contract with Earthlink is up, if Speakeasy adjusts their pricing & speeds I would think about going back, simply for their awesome tech support and uptime record.

--- Updated 10/11/2005 4:45pm CDT ---
A rep from Speakeasy emailed me last week in regards to my comments here, asking what he could do to help clear things up. I forwarded it to my wife (since she is the one using the VoIP and doing the bills most of the time) and she left a return message with him today. I must say, I'm pretty impressed they responded to my comments - hopefully, when my wife talks to him, everything will be smoothed out.

--- Updated 9/30/2005 3:20pm CDT ---
I've now had HomeOffice+ with OneLink and VoIP for a couple of months, the DSL speed feels about the same as the shared line DSL I had before so that's all good. I have had a couple of times where we've had to reset the DSL modem for some reason though.

The VoIP has had some issues: when running BitTorrent or during large downloads that are sourced from fast servers like the Apple Developer Connection it can sound a bit like my GSM phone in a bad cell or something.

They just did an upgrade of the VoIP software and gave us a new call control center that is much nicer. I like that I can disable the voice mail and use my own answering machine, but still have it for when I'm on the other line and don't want to flash over. The upgrade was a bit rocky though - it took about a day and a half to get the voice mail settings to take.

My wife is home all day and the main user and is getting a little frustrated with the problems - the DSL modem needing reset wouldn't be a huge issue for her except that now it affects the phone. She's starting want to switch back to SBC & shared line DSL. I'm hoping things smooth out over the next month.

The biggest problem we've had actually is with the billing - not overbilling or anything, but just conflicting messages from them. It seems that the emails that are automatically sent to us are never correct and we spend a lot of time on the phone trying to understand the charges. A lot of mischarges and refunds got processed in the plan switch so, again, I hope that the next month everything settles down.

(newest updates at top)
--- Updated 8/4/2005 12:50pm CDT---
The new TA arrived at about noon yesterday but it exhibited the same '3 blink LED' problem as the old one! I was stuck at work all day but finally got to call their tech support this morning and it turned out that the MAC address on the Speakeasy (or Level3) side was still set up for my old TA and the static IP configured on my new TA was wrong. After those two things were fixed it finally worked!

A bit annoying that it took so long but I'm glad it's up and running now.

--- Updated 8/3/2005 10:00am CDT---
They updated the ticket with the tracking number soon after I called and, according to ups.com, it's in town and "out for delivery" right now.

--- Updated 8/2/2005 5:45pm CDT---
Finally got an answer about the TA shipping - it hasn't been sent yet! (I had to call back to get that info BTW) - Representative tells me that the person responsible for doing the shipments "should get it out tonight" and I "should have it by tomorrow". I'm not happy with the extended wait - but I guess that will have to be okay. Now, if they don't have it out in time tonight, I'm going to be pretty pissed. We'll see.

--- Updated 8/2/2005 4pm CDT---
Went out of town for a couple of weeks but never had any problems accessing my POP Mail server from the road so the OneLink connection looks solid. Speeds seem great.

The VoIP situation is a whole other story though. My number port got scheduled for 7/28/05 - a day before I got back into town. The VoIP TA was delivered so I figured I would be able to plug it in and have dial tone on 7/29 (when I got back). That *should* have been the case, but the dang thing wouldn't sync up. It turned out the Level 3 hadn't configured something correctly *AND* the TA appears to be bad. I spoke with a frew people at Speakeasy over the weekends and, as of Sunday night, they supposedly had a new TA setup and tested to make sure it worked. They were supposed to be overnighting it to me on Monday, 8/1/05 - but it's now 4pm on Tuesday and it's not here. A post to my help ticket, asking for confirmation of shipment wasn't answered so I called and nobody seemed to know whether it was actually shipped or not. They told me they'd update the ticket with the tracking number as soon as they find it. That was about 2.5 hours ago and still no update. I'm now going on 5 days with no dial tone >:o(, luckily, the DSL works and I have calls being forwarded to my mobile phone - but I'm racking up minutes on it that I shouldn't need to be.

--- Updated 7/14/2005 12noon CDT---
Covad tech got here at 11am - quick, easy, painless. I now have a dedicated (no dial tone) copper pair hooked up and am getting at least as fast speeds as the shared line had. I switched my DNS MX entries over to my new ip and it's all working fine!

SBC, the bell is tolling!

Speakeasy likes you to wait 2 weeks to do the VoIP cutover to ensure the OneLink line is stable so we'll see how it goes.

--- Updated 7/8/2005 11am CDT---
She called me back and said that the SBC guy had left without her knowing and now we have dial tone but no DSL ( Speakeasy "Order Status" web page indicates SBC and Covad have tested the loop and it's "working" and ready for Covad install which is scheduled for 7/14 between 8am and noon.
I called Speakeasy and they tell me that the old "shared" DSL connection should still be working and to have my wife reboot the modem in case the SBC installer messed with the line and it's hung up or something. Waiting for my wife to call me back to do so...

...she called, rebooted the DSL modem and all is well. )

--- Updated 7/8/2005 10am CDT---
My wife just called me and said an SBC workman is at our house to run the new copper for the OneLink (or at least that's what I gather from what she could tell me). I hadn't expected them to be at the house without calling first, but it's all outside work so it's not too big of a deal.

--- Updated 7/7/2005 ---
FYI: Got an email Tuesday (7/5/05) afternoon from my "Install Coordinator" just to introduce himeself and let me know he'll be monitoring Covad. Nothing big - but nice to know they are on top of it.

--- Updated 7/1/2005 ---
Just orderd their Home Office Plus package with OneLink (naked DSL) at 1.5/368 speed. The package gives me the 1.5/368 line, 500 MB Web space, Pri/2nd DNS and a few other things. It also includes their VOIP service. Total $85.95/mo + taxes

Covad has to come out to the house for the OneLink install and that's a $99 fee (But they'll bill me over 4 months so the savings over SBC & my web host should make it a wash)

The VOIP contract is for 12 months with the 1st month free and a $40 + $15 shipping upfront fee (also to me billed over 4 months)

I'll update here as the order is processed, but if it's as smooth as my past 2.5 years experience has been - I don't predict any issues.

I predict, when I cancel my SBC POTS line and 3rd party web hosting, that I should save somewhere around $40 a month. (depends on the taxes) Maybe more if my wife and I may lower our cell phone plans' minutes since their VOIP has unlimited local-toll and long-distance calling.

Accordning to Scott (my sales person), once the OneLink is set up on it's own copper pair, then they do the SBC -> VOIP switchover a couple of weeks later. I'm not billed for it 'till it's installed. My number should be portable and the worst phone outage he's seen was about an hour. Usually it's a clean, fast cut over. Then my SBC line dies and I'm free of them forever!!!! (I hope --- then again, that's what I thought with my old SprintION line ( )

--- Original review ---
Ordered this back in December of 2002 and was up and running very quickly - in fact, I was running BEFORE my install kit arrived since an older SBC, Alcatel DSL modem I had worked with SpeakEasy!

I am a prior DSL user with: Southwestern Bell/SBC, Sprint ION and DirecTV/Telocity

Speakeasy is my second favorite only to ION (which went out of business).

My local SBC employees, for some reason, couldn't figure out how to disconnect my Sprint ION pair back in 2001 (and I was ordering business class with a several hundred dollar install fee!) so I had gone with DirecTV for a quick, cheap alternative. When DirecTV shut their DSL service down I had absolutely no desire to even talk to SBC.

I looked into SpeakEasy and they had me up and running in no time.

In the past 3 years I've had no unscheduled outages and they've increased my upload speed to 384 at no extra charge. Speeds have always been as advertised too.

I re-upped with a 2 year contract in May of 2004 (got a free iPod).

I'm currently contemplating switching to their OneLink and VoIP service and dropping my SBC dial tone completely.

Comments:

Review by CylonRed See Profile

• Location: Dayton,Greene,OH
  • Telco party Ameritech
Good "Web page TAC - program in place for ISP switches that is updated quickly"
Bad "Pricey when compared to ILEC DSL prices"
Overall "Never have had a problem and I get 85-95% of my rated speed with very little downtime."

02/14/01 - first day of service:

I was an ISP switch person from DSLNetworks so I was able to use all of the same equipment I already had. Price is the same that I had with DSLNetworks for the same speed service. They even used the same dedicated line I had with DSLNetworks. The same day as Covad's announcement pulling their lines Speakeasy had info up on their website on what I had to do to switch to Speakeasy.

I filled out the online forms on Thursday (02/8/01) to switch and heard very little until Monday (after I e-mailed them for some questions I had). Those were answered promptly and had DSL in less than 7 days. My speeds are comparable to the actual speeds I had with DSLNetworks but with a TON better latency. I do have some lost packets (very low) but I do expect it to get better - I am out of the NY POP. My pings to the gateway have dropped from 109-250 ms with DSLNetworks to 41 ms with Speakeasy. I actually rank very well after running DRPing (score 74).

So far I am very pleased after 1 day - I will keep up this review in the next couple of months and update as necessary.......

THANKS SPEAKEASY.... good riddance DSLNetworks.......

8/28/07 - Still great service - still using my SpeedStream 5260 modem and added a wired/wireless router with an additional wireless print server. Speeds are still 85-95% of the rated speed (usually about 1250 down on a rated 1.5 meg download). They gave me 5 email addresses and upped my upload to 384K and lowered the price by about $3.00 - not a lot but they did give me more and I have virtually no downtimes since 9/11/01. I am now on the Chicago POP and could not be happier.

member for 14.7 years, 9026 visits, last login: a few hours ago