Speakeasy page on DSLReports

Review by redwoodtree See Profile

• Location: Seattle,King,WA
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Very reliable service"
Bad "Decreasing support"
Overall "Better for business customers and those that can afford to pay more for better reliability."

Speakeasy has gone downhill since the purchase by Best Buy . I am moving, and I tried on 5 different occasions to get them to process my move.

It's failed every single time. First they got my order wrong, then they got my address wrong, then they failed to scheduled the install somehow. In each case , I had to cancel the order and start over.

I am now actively looking to move away from Speakeasy.

Comments:

Review by bathtubgin See Profile

• Location: Van Nuys,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Always on, fast, dependable and knowledgeable service personnel"
Bad "expensive but worth it"
Overall "it's a keeper"

We have had Speakeasy broadband for years, ever since DirecTV went out of the broadband business (they were the best - Hughes took it over later I believe).

Speakeasy is more expensive than DirecTV was, but the service is the same, no complaints. The installation process was fine except it involved a bunch of phone calls and visits from various service people, once the paperwork was finished, which took, I believe, three weeks. My current speed, just tested is 323/1332.

When they have a service outage (usually during the night) they warn you way in advance, and it is never even as long as they estimate.

A few times (I am simply an end user) I could not get on line, called the service rep, and they talked me through the entire process step by step to get hooked up again. They are always very kind and patient, even when one time it turned out my cat had pulled out the telephone cord. You can follow your "service ticket" and its progress on line too and comment on it, if needed. Very handy, and response/follow up is fast.

The only thing I was a bit disappointed in is the email options. At one time they announced they would make it more interesting and versatile, which never happened. It is plain and drab, with no options for wallpaper, different fonts/colors or emoticons. I am a sucker for that so I use myway.com for email instead, which is great.

For the past few years we also have added their VOIP service, based on our good experience with the broadband. So our monthly cost includes about $60 for the broadband and $34 for the VOIP service. We call free almost all over the world and no one in, for example Europe, ever complains about the audio quality.

Recently I had to call an ambulance and there was no problem reaching "911", except you will go through one intermediate person, which took perhaps 5 seconds extra.

All in all very satisfied with the service.

Comments:

Review by JTDC See Profile

• Location: Washington,District Of Columbia,DC
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Great service and technical support"
Bad "Some problems with T-1 install but all addressed effectively"
Overall "Good service that I recommend, although pricier than others."

I have been with Speakeasy since 2003 and the service has generally been great. I moved from DSL to a T-1 about a year ago for business reasons and it has been working fine. When I have had problems, the technical support has been excellent.

member for 14.8 years, 1687 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by burnnitely See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Always up and bandwith solid"
Bad "Little expensive"
Overall "You get what you pay for - premium service"

I have Speakeasy 3.0/768 with VOIP. Previously we had Adelphia which is now Time Warner and AT&T Call Vantage for our VOIP and we always had issues with both companies blaming each other for the VOIP being intermittent and our bandwith was being throttled during the day. Secondly, their Customer service always wanted you to take your network apart to test a single computer on the line. Coming from a Networking background I understand how it all works and having to wait for 45 minutes to reach someone who knows less than you and you try to be patient with them, but all you want is to be sent up to top tier of support. Overall the installation process was very efficient and professional. The technicians kept us informed throughout the process and even after the installation, they continued to follow up to make sure we were satisfied with the service. Initially we did run into a problem with the bandwidth fluctuating a month into the service. When calling Speakeasy tech support, I always got a live person who answered the call, 24 hours a day. They worked diligently to resolve the issue with me and continued to monitor the service while updating the open ticket to keep me informed of their progress. Ever since this issue was resolved, we have had smooth sailing with our network, especially the VOIP. No more lost calls, drop outs or people telling me like I sound like I am in a fish bowl!!!! The bottom line is when a problem arises, they are continuously monitoring their network and are aware of problems before you can even notify them.

member for 10.4 years, 70 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by uromahn See Profile

• Location: Mountain View,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Excellent and very knowledgable tech support"
Bad "It took us almost three months to get DSL going!"
Overall "I am happy now, but I am not sure if it is worth paying that much"

We had a REALLY BAD experience with the installation process. Speakeasy sub-contract the DSL line with Covad who in turn lease the "last mile" of copper from AT&T. We could not get the line to work until after AT&T put us on another copper line from our house to the central office. The coordination between the three parties was a NIGHTMARE and it took me quite some arm-wrestling and threatening to leave with Speakeasy before they finally fixed it!

The really good point: the support staff was always very helpful and courteous, even when I was not.

Now, after it is working for six months, we are pretty happy with the service and reliability.

Comments:

Review by L0GiX See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Great service"
Bad "Now owned by Best Buy"
Overall "I pay to be able to get a 1st tier engineer on the phone at 3am. With Speakeasy I get it."

I've had the service for over 3 years. I have had no down time ever.

It works. I have called at 3am once to ask about something technical and was greeted by a friendly engineer that answered my questions without issue.

I did highly suggest them before they were bought out by BestBuy. Now I'm not to sure.

member for 14.4 years, 2511 visits, last login: 274 days ago

Comments:

Review by jamesfalknor See Profile

• Location: Denver,Denver,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Excellent customer service"
Bad "I can't find anything bad to say"
Overall "Speakeasy Rocks"

04/20/2003
I began service with Speakeasy / Covad a little over 2 years ago. At that time, I could only get IDSL due to my loop length (19000+). Six months after my 1 year anniversary date expired, I asked about SDSL and ADSL. I was advised that I qualified for ADSL. So I switched from IDSL to ADSL. I have had no problems with ADSL. I've done a downgrade in service from 1.5/384 to 1.5/256 in financial name only for I would never see a download rate of 1.5. I was receiving 514/540. That is until I changed some phone features with Qwest.

Qwest accidentily disconnected my circuit 2 weeks ago after a change in phone features. That was a nightmare. In the end, I am now on a different circuit and my port rates are a rock solid 384/384. I am paying ADSL prices for SDSL service. Furthermore, due to the loop length, I am fortunate to be receiving DSL at all. Nobody is willing to touch me at such a distance. I tried to upgrade to SDSL proper, and the Speakeasy salesperson advised me that I don't qualify for SDSL let alone for the ADSL that I have.

I'd rather have an SDSL line since SDSL uses it's own line and does not piggyback off the telephone line. I'd rather have a separate data line, but oh well. My loop length can handle SDSL between 384/384 to 604/604.

I have 3 static IP addresses. I am using the ZyXEL 643 ADSL modem. Since the expiration of my initial one year contract, I haven't been approached by Speakeasy to sign another one year contract.

384/384 with 3 static IP addresses costs me a total of $71.37 per month.

My situation proves that with a pristine circuit, loop length can be further out than advertised. More to the point, loop length can be greater than what the DSL providers are willing to allow. Solid 384/384 at 19000+ from CO. If I pushed it, I'm sure I could get Speakeasy to bumped it up to 604/604. 604 is the maximum port rate that a tech from Covad was willing to suggest that my circuit be set at.

The Techs at Speakeasy were willing to custom tailor the port rates with the loop length.

Speakeasy rocks as far as I'm concerned.

UPDATE: 10/07/2005
Since my initial post, I began having connection problems. In 11/04, I switched to OneLink. Still having connection problems. 384/384 is no longer a solid connection. Connection randomly goes down on me.

Covad nor Qwest can find anything wrong with my line. They both say that my system is within specs at a little over 17,000 feet.

Last technician at Speakeasy that I talked to suggested that we try ordering another OneLink service in hopes that the new pair that will be needed fixes the problem. Apparently, Covad nor Qwest will switch out my current pair since it tests out OK.

Speakeasy still rocks as far as I'm concerned.

Update: 11/2005
Had to switch back to IDSL at a cost of $119.95 plus taxes equaling out to $131.80.
Slow, but I get the IP Addresses I need. And I get a constant connection.

Update: 07/21/2007
I've been with Speakeasy since 2001. Service and Support has been Spectacular.

Comments:

Review by knightmb See Profile

• Location: Franklin,Williamson,TN
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "No restrictions or silly port blocking, do whatever you want with your connection within legal reasons :-)"
Bad "Took longer than I hoped to get setup"
Overall "Moved to a new home that could get it, ditched Bellsouth in a heartbeat to order"

I'll make this short and sweet.
I got the OneLink ADSL 3.0 Down / 768 Up Net Advantage Package
(2) Static IPs

I ordered service 10/17/2005, finally got it up and running 11/11/2005

A lot of problems beyond control of Speakeasy/Covad made this take a long time.

First, the modem was shipped to me and UPS lost the package, Speakeasy sent another real fast.

Next, Covad came out to get the line ready. First Covad found that my circuit had a bad card, so the Tech (who was wonderful, the best tech I've ever encountered) had to go back to the CO and replace the card. He came back out and found out there was a line problem that only Bellsouth could fix. Had to get a trouble ticket with Bellsouth to fix line problem.

Bellsouth came out, did nothing (I was here at the house when they came to look at it) and passed the buck back to Covad/Speakeasy of no trouble found. Speakeasy stepped up and whipped Bellsouth into shape, made them fix the ILEC problem.

After Bellsouth did their part, Covad came back out to see if service was ready (took Bellsouth a week to fix their problem). Turns out the NID on my house was in terrible condition, but the tech was able to move around bad parts and use the good ones. Finally, the modem could get sync from the NID, now was time for the house wiring.

The house had a fresh run of copper, which was only 10 feet from the NID to my living room plug (only jack in the house, using OneLink DSL with my Vonage VoIP service) Turns out my fresh copper was bad too, LOL. He replaced that, turns out my jack was bad, he replaced that too.

Finally after the Super Covad Tech fixed about 20 different problems, service was up and solid. They need to get this Covad Tech a raise because he fixed problems that Bellsouth would take weeks to schedule and do. I give him a big thanks for this!!

Service has been rock solid!! Great to be back with Speakeasy again!!

Comments:

Review by pcsmith See Profile

• Location: Lynnwood,Snohomish,WA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Reliable, fast, they don't block any ports"
Bad "lots of cheaper options now"
Overall "They know their stuff!"

order/install process was fast and easy. Connection is rock solid. Seriously have not had an unplanned outage in 3 years.

Comments:

Review by King P See Profile

• Location: Franklin,Williamson,TN
  • Telco party BellSouth
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Open policies, great support, stable connection"
Bad "a little pricey"
Overall "It's absolutely worth it"

April 26, 2007:

Canceled Speakeasy OneLink. Didn't want to, but since I can't get them in our new location, I've had to. Overall a great service. It is expensive, but I will say it was worth it. Competent people who know what they are doing, and they do try their best to get the job done despite having to go through two other companies to get a problem worked out. If I can get them after our next move, then I will.

April 2007:

I wound up cancelling the Speakeasy VoIP package. Not for any quality problems, but we're moving to an area that isn't serviced by Speakeasy/Covad. The service and quality was great, so I have no complaints there. I'll eventually have to disconnect it as well, but not until the very last minute we move.

April 2006:

Everything is running smooth with Speakeasy. I was having problems with my Speakeasy VoIP adapter. The adapter would crash when an incoming call would be received, and would kill everything on the network behind it (it also ran in passthrough mode for the rest of my network). After several calls to tech support and some troubleshooting, they sent me a new adapter. It has worked FLAWLESSLY ever since. So the problem was just a bad adapter. I love my Speakeasy voice, I do wish that the VoIP portal would be redesigned though, but other than that it works great!

March 2006:

Everything rolls on in Speakeasy land. I wound up downgrading back to the 1.5/768 OneLink package, but I also changed to the new OneLink Home Select Plus, so I could have 3 extra static IP addresses. I also signed up for the Speakeasy Home VoIP product for my Home Office. The jury is still out on this product. The setup was a tremendous pain, because I can't set up the line behind my router. The telephone adapter (TA) that you are sent, has to be plugged up directly behind the modem otherwise it will not work. This is bad for me because my office is in the back of my house, and the modem is in the front of my house. I've had a lot of problems getting the TA to stay sync'd up as well. It seems that if too much traffic passes through it, then it crashes and has to be power-cycled or else nothing on the LAN will work. This isn't good for me since I run my home business (and my music store servers) from this connection.

The portal through which you manage your connection is really horrendous as well. Since I use Vonage, I am used to their simple and easy dashboard interface. However, the Speakeasy VoIP product has really great potential and you can't beat the fact that you can call 22 countries outside of the US and Canada for free. The package is only 3 dollars a month more than my Vonage service. I really want this to be a good product, and I'm hoping for the best. The best part of this product was the special. It only cost 15 dollars to get set up. To get another line through Vonage, I would have to get another TA and pay for the shipping, as well as the first month of service. So the Speakeasy VoIP was a tremendous deal that I couldn't pass up.

February 2006:

Still loving my Speakeasy service. After using the Westell 6100 modem for the last 2 months, I have not had a single dropped connection, or lost sync. I REALLY recommend to any users that are over 12k feet from the CO, to use a Westell 6100 modem, instead of the Briteport modems. This thing works wonders on marginal stats. I have 3.0/768 with margins of 10.5 and 7, and I NEVER lose sync.

I love Speakeasy!

December 21, 2005:

Considering the fact that my CO distance is 12k feet, and that my neighborhood has 30+ year old copper (some of the lines have major problems that BellSouth won't fix), and that BellSouth hooked my connection up to my 30+ year old NID (instead of the brand spanking new one that they used set up my original OneLink connection), I have run into a small intermittancy problem. At random times my connection would drop, and instead of using my Briteport modem (which works great if you have great margins), I decided to use my Westell 6100 from BellSouth. As a result, I haven't had a lost connection yet (at least not while I am on it, which is all of the time). I configured the Westell to work in Bridge mode, and plugged in the correct VCI number and I was back on a stable connection.

December 2005:

I recently placed a new order for Speakeasy OneLink 1.5/768 service, because my current connection could not physically go any faster than 1.5/384 (I was installed to a remote terminal). The new service is great. My servers run great, and I also increased my download to 3.0/768 so I am rocking and all at 12k feet.

I have also placed an order for Speakeasy Voice (VoIP) and will have that service set up in January. Great times with Speakeasy!

November 2005:

I signed up for the OneLink DSL service (1.5 Mb down, 384 Kb up with a Static IP), so I could rid myself of BellSouth, and use my Vonage VoIP. I have to say that it is totally worth it. I love Speakeasy, and I would recommend them to anyone. It is sort of a bummer that I cut my download in half, for the same monthly rate that I was paying at BellSouth, but that's ok because the freedom is well worth it.

The installation was completely professional. The tech went out of his way to get my connection up and running quickly. They even moved my installation up when I asked them to. The total charges for setup came to about 250 dollars (99 for install, 99 for modem but it has a rebate, and the first months service of 55.95, however I get the second month free).

If you can get Speakeasy in your area, consider getting them and dumping your Telco, then get Vonage VoIP. You can't beat it!