Speakeasy page on DSLReports

Review by Frostbite See Profile

• Location: Framingham,Middlesex,MA
  • Telco party Verizon
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "line-shared, self-installable, static IP addresses, servers permitted, unlimited dialup until the installation is complete"
Bad "no Boston PoP any more, acquired by Best Buy division, more expensive than direct competitors"
Overall "solid DSL performance, but Best Buy relationship concerns me"

Package ordered: Sysadmin/radsl/usr/pro (1.5/384, 2 IP addresses, 2 Email address, shell account, including 10MB web space, and 30hr/mo backup dialup account)

Distance from CO: approx 1 1/2 miles

Like most customers of Northpoint-based ISP's, I was quite in shock when I read the news on Thursday, 22 March that AT&T decided not to support the existing customer base and that a shutdown of Northpoint's network was "imminent". I was a PhoenixDSL customer, and I was scheduled to be transitioned to Telocity in the near future. Now that my Northpoint line is dead on Thursday, 29 March, Telocity can only "transition" me if I sign up for new service.

I have heard great reviews of SPEAKEASY.net from my friends (and from friends on behalf of their friends), and SE offers the type of installation I desired, both line-shared and self-installable. They also permit folks to run servers on their service, within reason, and they offer multiple IP addresses... bonus!

The monthly cost is a bit steep, compared to my previous provider, but after going through chaos with PhoenixDSL (an ISP) and Northpoint (the CLEC), I'm prepared to shell out a little extra per month to give the ISP and wholesaler (Covad) some breathing room.

STATUS: (This will be updated regularly as the installation progresses.)

- I ordered service through SPEAKEASY.net's web site on Friday, 23 March.

- I did not have immediate access to TAC, Email or Dialup, as their Welcome email had stated I would. I rectified the problem on Monday by calling SE pre-installation support, and the problem was resolved within ten minutes.

- Covad advises (via TAC) on Monday, 26 March, that there is a problem with the splitter in my CO, and that it could take no less than five days to resolve.

- Covad advises on Wednesday, 27 March, that they have an FOC (firm order commitment) date from Verizon of Thursday, 29 March. I assume the previously reported problem with the splitter in my CO has been resolved.

- Covad advises on Friday, 30 March that Verizon wanted additional information about the splitter and that Covad supplied it to them.

- Covad advises on Tuesday, 3 April that they have an FOC with Verizon for Monday, April 9th.

- Covad advises on Tuesday, 10 April that Verizon reported that it has completed the cross-connection.

- Covad advises on Friday, 13 April that it has shipped the self-install kit (and provided the UPS tracking number), and the planned installation time is Monday, 16 April between the hours of 8am and 12pm. According to UPS, the package was shipped on Wednesday, 11 April, and it's waiting to be delivered to my home, which will happen on Monday. How timely!

- Self-install kit arrived on Monday, 16 April. I installed the kit, got sync, and am online! I came online on the Atlanta PoP, despite living 25 miles from Boston. I sent an eMail to SE Customer Support the same evening I came online, and I was transitioned to Boston within 24 hours. Speed tests run on SE's Atlanta PoP were good, and Boston's even better.

-Frosty

Update 4/6/07 - This will be a large, cumulative update. Since I had the service installed, the Boston PoP no longer exists; it has been converted to a NAP, and all traffic is routed to the NYC PoP. I haven't needed a lot of support, and any line problems have been the result of deteriorating phone lines within the neighborhood. (Verizon gets called out to switch pairs, and we're fine again for a year or more.)

I am starting to worry about the price of the service. It is now $110+/month just for the 4000/768 service I'm getting with four IP addresses. Further worrisome is that SE was just acquired by Best Buy for Business. Sadly, this will probably break me, as I firmly dislike Best Buy, in any incarnation.

Comments:

Review by bashfuldeny See Profile

• Location: Carol Stream,Du Page,IL
  • Telco party Ameritech
Good "none"
Bad "couldn'y get connected"
Overall "they suck"

from start to finish it has been a good.I have had some problems and the tech support has been great.I seems all the trouble is with my line,but speakeasy even got them to come out and repair it.I am now waiting for the phone co. HA HA..I live in an area that does have good support,so speakeasy was very helpfull.

dennis costello.

WELL i hate to say this,but i move up one floor in my building. i tryed for two months and they never did connect me. so i went to comcast and they had me running in two days. now i am being suied buy ameritc for cancling my service. i have told them that they never did connect. they say i didn't give them enough time ??? TWO MONTHS??? come on.

deniis costello

member for 14.2 years, 292 visits, last login: 3.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by caffeined See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA
  • Telco party SBC
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Order-install process was quick & easy! Good line speeds!"
Bad "None so far..."
Overall "Recommended!"

I'm a DirectvDSL refugee. Shortly after I ordered DSL from DirectvDSL, they announced that they were discontinuing service. I'm unsure if they even got around to provisioning my line for DSL. My bad luck. That went nowhere...

I did my research on broadband options and read reviews/postings on broadbandreports.com. Enter Speakeasy DSL...

01/07/03:

I placed my order with Speakeasy via their DirectSwitch program. I ordered the "Classic ADSL" 1.5M/128k, 1 static IP @ $59.95/mo. (12 month term). Current promotion was $199 mail-in rebate to offset hardware install fees. Speakeasy kept me updated regularly on the progress of my order.

01/09/03:

UPS attempted to deliver my self-install kit from Covad (CLEC) but I wasn't home. Darn! I could've been up and surfing in just 3 days!

01/10/03:

I had UPS re-route the kit to deliver to my office; Covad only ships to the address of the residence and UPS couldn't re-route until after 1st delivery attempt. I received my self-install kit which consisted of Zyxel ADSL modem, filters, phone

line coupler and cross-over cable. Accidentally, I used a spare straight-through cable I had sitting around to connect the modem to the WAN of my router which resulted in no LAN light on the modem which meant no surfing. The DSL light on the modem was solid green which meant that the line was okay for DSL. I called Covad and after a short time on hold (2 minutes), they had me switch cables and use the cross-over cable that came in the kit...stupid on my part!...I should have known that and paid closer attention to the instructions in the kit. If I had followed instructions and used the cable that came in the kit in the first place, I would have been online and surfing in just minutes but even with my mistake, installation was quick and painless.

I performed numerous bandwidth speedtests from different sources and consistently rated my connection at about 1.1M-1.2MB downstream and 100k+ upstream. My service plan calls for 1.5M/128k but with the overhead inherent in all DSL connections, I'm getting what I'd expect and I'm satisfied with my results.

Overall, the process from order to install was extremely quick, easy & painless. Speakeasy/Covad have the procedure down pat! The connection is steady and is what I would expect. The monthly price is a little high for residential DSL but I've learned you get what you pay for, especially if you want a static IP and not have to deal with PPPoE! Cable internet isn't available in my neighborhood yet.

Hopefully, I won't need to call Speakeasy for technical/customer support, but if I do, I wonder how long wait time will be and how effective their support will be. I like the fact that Speakeasy tech support is available 24/7! But check back later... One day of service and an installation does not a review make.

Time to mail the rebate...

So far, Speakeasy/Covad has been good to me!

Update:

01/22/07:

I've had the same DSL service for 4 years. Service and speeds have been fairly stable. I've had a few outages where I've had to call tech support. They have been easy to reach even in after hours, knowledgeable and able to get me back online. About a year and a half ago they sent me a new modem free of charge to replace the one I had been having problems with. The only changes is that they increased the upload speeds from 128k/s to 384 k/s and gave me a 2nd static IP. They may not be the cheapest static IP plan but their stability and good tech support are keeping me as a customer. Good job!

member for 13.9 years, 561 visits, last login: 3.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by Michieru2 See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
  • Telco party BellSouth
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Redundancy, Tech Support, and honest and fair policies"
Bad "First time billed twice, changes to account are charged twice"
Overall "Reliable ISP from the very beginning"

When I had gone ISP hunting I wanted to have a static IP but also have someone who provides good level tech support and something that was just reliable and that I don't have to worry about even if it mean't paying a bit higher than normal. When I had gone to Slashdot to read up on the latest articles I saw an advertisement about Speakeasy. Looking at there packages and offerings and googling up some reviews shows this company had promise.

Information was not up front in regards to two months billed in advance, and Onelink customers pay a 99 dollar install fee. When I got my first bill I quickly called Speakeasy and to my surprise no hold music at all and someone answered and explained it to me in detail. After that I agreed to pay the bill but the information told up front before sign up was lacking but at the same time not that surprising either.

Since I already have my own equipment all they had to do was activate my line and looking up at the status page everything was a go on there end and I modified the settings on my modem through telnet and green light shows solid. After that added the settings to my machine and I was up in no time. On top of that they did not force me to take there modem, they said if I knew how to set it up on my end with my own hardware they have no problem with it. Just goes to show how flexible these guys are in regards to doing things your way.

My connection has been stable for the most part of almost my 2 year term and I have been running ever since. In all my time I only had 3 major issues where I lost service and my pair had gotten damaged and it was switched increasing my loop length by 2400ft but nevertheless my service was backup and running and solid margins. My second issue was problems in the Atlanta, POP which where fixed in less than 2 hours and it was very late at night around 4AM in the summer. My last and final issue was in regards to slow download speeds but upload speeds where fine and this was a simple problem of my modem failing and I decided to buy a Zyxel 660 Series ADSL2+ modem which provided better margins than it's predecessor Zyxel 645M ADSL modem and my connection increased the way it was suppose too.

Other than those issues which one of them being mine the connection has been stable and I can't say rock solid because if you hit a rock with a hammer it breaks, so we will say a solid steel ball.

There is nothing much to say other than these guys are great and are always there, of course if you say something stupid like "There can't be nothing wrong with my computer" you will get a sarcastic comment which was stupid to me to say nonetheless but it was not insulting in any way at least not to me. The guys know what they are doing and sound like experts in there field and then some.

This is not your average reading from the manual type of tech support, this is like talking to a experienced technician who has worked in the field for a long time and are there to assist you 24/7/365. Oh, and they don't outsource to you economists.

I plan to leave Speakeasy in the future because frankly for the past two year's there services have never changed and although they are a great provider if you are looking for FiOS like speeds you won't find them here but you will find reliability, dry pairing, and even bonding of DSL lines as a special request but you won't see anything higher other than 6.0/768 connections. If that changes when my contract is up in August I will stay but frankly I require higher speeds for the amount of work I do even if that means paying a higher price for the service and I might go to cable but if Sprint-Nextel deploys WiMAX in my area I might just jump ship to wireless OR simply get a USB EV-DO Rev A modem once the Mac drivers are out and work with that. But it all depends on how things go from now till August.

Although prices are higher for services you can find somewhere else the tech support and the redundancy provided from this internet service provider is top grade and I would recommend them to my small business clients who are interested in ditching there 256/128 bellsouth dsl lines for 49.99 per month.

Comments:

Review by jaraco See Profile

• Location: Washington,District Of Columbia,DC
  • Telco party Verizon
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Professional, technically-savvy service, open architecture"
Bad "Too many parties involved (the DSL predicament); limited speeds"
Overall "Highly recommended"

There's no ISP like Speakeasy. I'll praise them all day. Their service would be ideal if it did not depend on so many other providers (CLEC, TELCO). If Speakeasy offered native fiber services, it would be as glorious as the new coming of the messiah.

Comments:

Review by jamundso See Profile

• Location: Saint Paul,Ramsey,MN
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Knowlegdable techs. Great support."
Overall "They rock! I can't say that enough. Really..."

Yes. I'm biased, being a Speakeasy customer for over, umm, 5 years or so. I switched from SDSL with standard land line phone, to ADSL and VoIP. The switch-over was nearly perfect. One little e-mail hiccup which took a few minutes to resolve, and an airhead moment by me also explained in a couple minutes with a call to Speakeasy support. Seriously. when I say "They rock." I mean it...

Comments:

Review by ivisuals7 See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "DSL with no working phone line needed. Great speed. consistent"

When we moved 1 mile to our own building, we upgraded to Speakeasy's dedicated DSL. It's been very smooth and fast. Support is very good when needed, which isn't often. I can now go VOIP and rid our company of the beast known as AT&T!

member for 9 years, 2 visits, last login: 8 years ago

Comments:

Review by ncianca See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Reliable service, good tech support"
Bad "nothing really"
Overall "I've been very happy with Speakeasy"

I've had Speakeasy DSL since 2001 and upgraded to OneLink about 2 years ago. Nothing but good things to say about this company. When I moved 2 years ago, they even worked with me to retain my block of ip addresses and provided secondary dns during the move. I host my own DNS and mail/web services.

The OneLink service is great, and Verizon Free. I also use Vonage on my connection without problems. I have the fastest Onelink package they offer.

Unlike some other DSL providers, Speakeasy doesn't attempt to block any of my ports. The couple of times that I've needed tech support, they have been quick to answer the phone.

The installations are always a problem but this has nothing to do with Speakeasy. They are dependent on COVAD which are mostly unreliable and unprofressional - but they are the "monopoly" in NYC for pretty much anyone who wants service installed. Even though Covad screwed up my move installation date (twice), Speakeasy went as far as giving me a free month.

Comments:

Review by Twarrior See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Everything. Even got up 24 hours AHEAD OF SCHEDULE!"
Bad "None yet that I can see."
Overall "My former ISP is a bunch of corporate cock biters and Speakeasy rocks your world!"

I'll start at the begining with my former ISP (that isn't listen on DSL Reports yet, but they will be!) and lead into how Speakeasy made leaving them and getting some REAL QUALITY service alot easier and faster than I though it would be!

Anet Communications (»anet.com) was good, until they stopped caring about their customers. As a long term customer they dropped because I couldn't use Scotty's Magic Transporter and give em the $29.00 I owed them (i'm sorry but i can't get out and PUSH when it comes to bank transfers!) they dropped me so I was stuck looking for a new isp.

Of course, did a search on DSL Reports and Speakeasy looked like the best choice. They're alittle high on their Internet Access but really LOW on their VOIP phone service which their deal for that even beats the crap out of what Vonage offers.

They treat people like people. My sales rep, Dan (1-800-556-5829, opt 9 then ext 5318 -- tell em Dave Kelso sent ya these dudes even give YOU referal commissions!) quickly and professionally told me all I needed to know and had me convinced pretty quickly. So, I signed up.

In just a few business days i went live and it was even 24 HOURS AHEAD of the "time to live" promise date. I was stunned when all of my DSL Modem lights went nice and bright green ahead of schedule.

So yeah i'm a computer tech and it was a self installed. I've got a LAN that i'm migrating over to Linux and a Netgrear Router. I slapped in all of the ip info and such and went live very quickly.

I've got a static ip for my home office. They're not nazi's about servers, they don't block ports and they're geared more towards residential customers that aren't morons and also small business. They really know how to make you feel alot more like a human being and alot less like a number or dollar sign.

With their internet access combined with their VOIP i'll be paying ALOT less than I have been paying with Anet and SBC.

If you need SBC or someone for provisioning your ADSL, don't worry about it. I will still have SBC for my fax line but for those who only have a voiceline -- Speakeasy is the only isp i've seen that offers an "ADSL Dry Line" which is an analog phone line without any phone service only for the purpose of the internet signal. So you can get that with them without needing to keep SBC or any other regular telco. You can be 100% VOIP even if your not getting their cable service. Normally you need a telco for ADSL but with Speakeasy thats not a requirement.

So yeah i'll update this with more specifics when I have them. I'll have to wait for my first bill and test drive the service a bit. They've also got a partners program i'm going to be joining and seeing if that might make me a few extra bucks or not.

These guys are pretty cool as people and very professional as a business.

• Location: Norcross,Gwinnett,GA
  • Telco party BellSouth
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "Great customer service. Super friendly. Lightning fast install (5 days!)."
Bad "Nothing I can think of whatsoever."
Overall "Night and day from Comcast to Speakeasy"

I've experience such a night and day between Comcast and Speakeasy.net (they use Covad as the CLEC).

In the process of losing our order 3 times, not calling when they said they would, their techs not showing up, the cable tv and internet going down basically anytime it rains as well as a generally crappy connection with high latency and packet loss...I HAVE FIRED COMCAST.

Hey, bad connections will occur with every ISP, but it is the lack of will to do anything to help change that which led me to the conclusion that Comcast Georgia just doesn't want my business.

Last week I was at my wit's end after 3 months of this BS, so I found Speakeasy.net's OneLink DSL service which does not require a phone line. I had heard good things about this company years ago so I rang them up. Very professional fellow helped me out and I was signed up in less than 10 minutes. They give you an id right on the phone from the beginning that you can then log into their site and have an up to the minute status of your order. After my bad experience these guys were a breath of fresh air.

I placed that call on Sept 30th and here I am on Oct 5th. Is this a new record for DSL install?

Now what is really strange is this: it feels twice as fast as my Comcast connection even though the speed tests tell me it is half as fast. I'm right at 2.5Mbps with the DSL but the cable was almost a 6Mbps speed. The answer? Latency. When I request a page, a file or anything, the response is just instant without the lag time I felt with the cable. Will large downloads take a bit longer? Probably, but I'd rather have a car that went 50mph top speed than one that was only good above 100mph. Where do I do most of my driving?

10 out of 10 for speakeasy from this very happy customer. I'm calling Directv next week to make the exorcism complete.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)