Speakeasy page on DSLReports

• Location: New York,New York,NY

I have had a wonderful experience with Speakeasy.Net and Covad, and yes even Bell Altantic. I signed up for DSL on November 19. SpeakEasy and Covad sent me frequent emails to keep me up to date with the progress. And SpeakEasy has a special site on its web page for clients to track the progress of their orders.

Surprisingly, Bell Atlantic was able to give me an appointment within three weeks and then arrived a day early. But they did the job. Covad had an appointment later in the week, and despite some concern about getting Bell Atlantic back because of some noise on the line, the install went smoothly and I am up and running without a problem.

I'm pleased with the way it was handled by Covad, Bell Atlantic, and SpeakEasy. The people at SpeakEasy seem very flexible and low key in their policies. There are very few rules; they offer multiple static IP addresses at no extra charge; and they allow web hosting.

As of now I can't say enough nice things about the experience.

(review was emailed in)

Comments:

Review by tetu3 See Profile

• Location: Ann Arbor,Washtenaw,MI

Hi, my name is Ferry, and I have speakeasy adsl 786/384 service. But I my max download is 40k/sec. I've tried to tweak my registry from »www.speedguide.net but it doesn't help. I just tried to d/l from netscape while I'm writing this review.. and I only got 30k/sec.
Anyone can help me how to increase my speed ?
Thank you.

member for 14.7 years, 104 visits, last login: 11.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by tetu3 See Profile

• Location: Ann Arbor,Washtenaw,MI

Anyone can help me how to increase my speed ?
Thank you.

member for 14.7 years, 104 visits, last login: 11.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by doobo See Profile

• Location: Manchester,Hillsborough,NH

It was a sunny Fall day in October when a friend called and said "DSL is available in Manchester, NH from a company called Speakeasy.". I was excited because it is so difficult to log on to my dial up ISP. No the ISP was not the problem it was the idiotic Phone company (Bell Atlantic). I would dial the ISP and about forty percent of the time get an "All circuits are busy" message. I suppose I should have expected that after all it is the phone company and it is Bell Atlantic.

I logged on to the Speakeasy site at work to check my availability. Speakeasy showed that I could get a 784/384 connection at my address. I was skeptical but they assured me. Eventually Speakeasy e-mailed me the date for which the idiotic phone company (Bell Atlantic) would come out and install the loop. After waiting anxiously and lamenting the fact that I would have a super fast connection I received an e-mail from Speakeasy. Speakeasy informed me that Bell Atlantic had determined that I have a Copper/Fiber optic mix on my copper pair. Speakeasy said that this was not a problem because they could downgrade my connection service while upgrading my monthly fee, of course. I cancelled the order temporarily while determining if it was worth the higher monthly fee to get the lower quality connection. I eventually relented and agreed to get the 144k connection for $89.95 a month.

I contacted the speakeasy sales department to see what needed to be done with my second phone line. I was not sure if I should cancel it now or wait till after the install. the sales rep asked how many pairs of copper wire I had running into my apartment. "Why I have two pairs sir" I said. The salesman then informed me that since I had two pairs of copper wire and two phone numbers Covad would need to run more copper wire at an $80 an hour fee. Although the fee seemed reasonable. I doubted that the Covad people would be willing to run a new copper pair from the telephone junction box up sixteen stories to my apartment. The sales person then said I simply did not qualify for any DSL service. I told the sales person that I was willing to give up a phone number to free up a copper pair. He said that it did not matter I did not qualify. I generally live by the principle that most people are stupid and decided to get a second opinion from Covad. Covad set me straight and indicated that as long as I wanted to get rid of a phone number I would not need to have new copper pair installed.

The day of the line provisioning came and much to my surprise the phone company appeared to have done the work they needed to do. I called Covad to make sure and they assured me the line was all set. I invoked my principle of most people being basically stupid and called several times. Each time I got the same answer so I concluded that the laws of probability dictated that the line was ready for Covad and DSL.

I called speakeasy and they confirmed that the work that they needed to do on their end to get me the DSL service would be done on Friday 12/10/99. Saturday the person from Covad showed up and the install went smoothly. I had visions of fast downloads dancing in my head. I laughed and joked with the Covad installer and he said everything was all set, He just needed to get speakeasy to do their end to complete the install. I confidently assured him that speakeasy had done the work on their end on Friday 12/10/99. But he said that he could not ping their site. But that it is no problem it would take about an hour to finish up, after all speakeasy has twenty four hour tech support. The Covad installer stayed on hold for well over a half an hour and eventually was connected with a "technical support" person. Finally I heard the fateful words "You mean you have nobody there to provision the line". Yup, it turned out to be true. Although the installation took place on a Saturday, the people that actually know something at Speakeasy don't come in till Monday. So here I sit on Saturday unable to get my quick downloads all because Speakeasy is to incompetent to make sure that the lines are provisioned when they say they will. The Covad installer guy left and I figured I would call Speakeasy myself and see if anyone could possibly help me get my connection working. Of course I got the same brain dead responses. Basically Speakeasy does offer twenty four hour tech support but if you want to talk to someone with a brain its Monday thru Friday 9:00 to 5:00 (At least that's my theory it remains to be seen if I will be connected on Monday). So far speakeasy is rated below Bell Atlantic as far a customer service because ultimately they ended up dropping the ball.

• Location: Flushing,Queens,NY

Hello, for those of you who got the 384/128 plan and live around the Queens, New York area, what is your average range for download speeds? ?k/s-?k/s and for upload speeds. Also, if i have 3 computers not networked, would it cost extra to be able to let all three get the DSL connection somehow? Is there a way to let all three get DSL for free? Thanx

(review was emailed from domain aol.com)

Comments:

Review by rycelover@earthlink.net See Profile

• Location: Flushing,Queens,NY

I live in Flushing, New York and just ordered adsl (384/128) from Speakeasy. Spoke with a nice guy - Paul, Ext. 149. I got tired of waiting for Bell Atlantic to get its act together and have gotten frightened by the posting on this site and the ngs.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they offer *free* dialup account immediately, until I am finally connected. Can't beat that!

I also got first month free, free installation, and "free" bridge (w/ $150 rebate from Covad after installation)and $59.99 per month.

I'll post followup review after the line is installed. Wish me luck, fellas.

Comments:

Review by

• Location: Philadelphia,Philadelphia,PA

I just got Speakeasy DSL and am currently changing ISPs. They offer great server and tech support, but the latency I am getting is about the same as I got with my modem. Why? Because I am in PA and their only point of prescense is in Seattle. Go figure. Just warning you all, if you care about ping times (For gaming mainly) and you live on the east coast, DONT GO WITH SPEAKEASY. Otherwise, they are great.

(review was emailed in)

Comments:

Review by JohnnyQuest See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY

Hello all my name is Chris and I live in the NYC area. I just got my DSL today and so far it's working great. Speakeasy is offering a free install, free modem, and free first month so I ordered 384/128 for 59.99. This was a little over two weeks ago and so far this is one of the fastest installations I've seen for DSL (I work for another DSL provider so i know how long these things can take). My DSL came with the SpeedStream 5250 DSL modem as well as one static IP address and two email addresses. The technicians from BA and Covad arrived on time and the whole installation process took about two hours only because the BA guy had to install new copper wire. I called tech support only once to help me setup DSL with Winblows (Linux was a nobrainer)and there was no wait time at all which is definitely a plus. I couldn't rate the pre-sales information because i already know all there is to know about DSL and didn't need to ask many questions.

member for 14.9 years, 30 visits, last login: 10.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by RichieG See Profile

• Location: Little Neck,Queens,NY

Called and spoke to Garrett. Got some good information and was very pleased at how easy the ordering process was. I ordered the 384/128 service from them, since BA couldn't deliver on it's promises since August! Anyway, I was very impressed with the fact that NO MONEY CHANGED HANDS during this process. In fact, I don't pay them until my service is installed and turned on! No contracts to sign, just a "good faith" agreement for a one year commitment, no download/upload limits, I get a STATIC IP, and the 5250 bridge. Best of all, the whole install is FREE, except for the 5250, but I will get a rebate of $150 on that, and the first month of service is free too. So right now, I am waiting for COVAD to process on their end and schedule some dates. If the rest of the experience is this good, I will be VERY happy.

Oh, did I mention that I got a free unlimited dial-up untill my service is turned on, and the performance on that was pretty good, I must say!

I was a little cautious at first because they charge $10 a month more than some of the other guys, but I think you really DO get what you pay for, and if it costs more for peace of mind, so be it. I will update when the process advances me closer to the end result!

member for 14.6 years, 285 visits, last login: 2.7 years ago

• Location: Flushing,Queens,NY

Hello, I'm from Flushing, Queens, NY and I have not ordered DSL yet but I plan on getting a 384/128 package for $50-$60/Month or something roughly similair. But I need help in deciding which service to choose from. I was about to get DSL from BA when a friend told me about this site so i decided to wait. From the reviews I've seen iNYC and Speakeasy seem to be the best for my area. If you are from Flushing ,or Queens , NY area and has ordered a 384/128 package for around $50-$60 please respond to this message and tell me which you thought was better iNYC or Speakeasy or other? Better as in speeds you get, stability, customer support, and better for your MONEY. Also, do any of you know how to get free install or/and free or under$100 hardware without having to sign like 2 or 1 year contracts?! Thanx a lot... Or if you actually do have BA's DSL service in the Flushing, or Queens, NY area, and think its good, post a reply or E-Mail!

(review was emailed from domain aol.com)