Speakeasy page on DSLReports

Review by jksnake See Profile

• Location: Culver City,Los Angeles,CA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Pure Internet connection with none of the nonsense interference that you get from cable companies and many other DSL providers."
Bad "Nothing for Speakeasy. Verizon, the telco provider, screwed up my circuit provisioning during install. That's why the 20 days."
Overall "I have 8 public IPs that I make good use of with an enterprise class server running 4 mail servers and 1 web server."

I have had Speakeasy DSL service for over 13 years starting with IDSL.
I have never had a problem with them that they did not resolve within 24
hours. The only issue that I have ever had was with the provisioning
carrier (Verizon) when I moved to a new location and re-established my
service there. Speakeasy is a bit more expensive than other providers
but in their case you get what you pay for.

Comments:

Review by mrweigand See Profile

• Location: Chesterland,Geauga,OH
Good "Easy to move their reliable service to new location."
Bad "Coordination with ATT was lacking. (ATT's fault, but...)"
Overall "Very reliable service."

Update: Megapath has taken over Covad and Speakeasy. With the take-over comes a new "Regulatory Recovery Surcharge". Basically a 10% price increase for nothing they weren't already doing. So, we're going to take the plunge and try Time Warner Business class Cable service. Much, much faster, somewhat cheaper, includes a digital phone line (we use cell service mostly) and we'll keep the Megapath running for a month to compare reliability. Stay tuned for the next review.

Old Review:

We've had both ATT and Speakeasy DSL connected for the last year. We were considering dropping Speakeasy because of the higher cost.

The very poor quality of ATT DSL sold us on Speakeasy being worth twice the price of ATT.

Speakeasy just works. With Speakeasy, we don't have any of the stop and start flaky connection issues like we experience with ATT. After 18 months (and multiple routers/modems), ATT still hasn't figured-out what is wrong with their line or equipment.

• Location: Sharon,Norfolk,MA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Originally a good company, now merged with an apparently evil one"
Bad "They shut down the CO without warning to any of the downstream subscribers and no transition offered"
Overall "They shut down the CO without warning to any of the downstream subscribers and no transition offered"

DSL service for my entire town was just cut off without warning by
Covad. My original ISP was Speakeasy. Now speakeasy is under Covad and
like I said without warning even internally to the speakeasy staff they
just shut down the CO. I am left to scramble.

I would not recommend getting any service from either Covad or Speakeasy
at this point, anywhere in the country. Also another name they go by is
megapath. The FCC is going to hear about this one.

Sharon MA 02067

(review was emailed from domain mit.edu)

Comments:

Review by agliodbs See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA
Good "Uptime is still fairly good. Static IPs and more"
Bad "Expensive, poor customer support, unannounced maintenance periods, billing problems."
Overall "Avoid Speakeasy unless your only other choice is Comcast"

I signed up with Speakeasy almost 7 years ago at a different address, and had stuck with them. They have not rewarded my loyalty.

My account was a premium business account, so it was expensive. I was willing to sign up for this because originally I got:
* static IPs and routing
* service SLA
* dedicated customer service rep
* no-hold-time tech support

Over the last 7 years, Speakeasy has merged twice (once with BestBuy, once with Megapath). During this time, they have:
* eliminated the SLA
* removed the no-hold support line
* fired my customer service rep
* started having unannounced maintenance downtimes in the middle of the business day

And while other DSL providers have slashed prices, Speakeasy's prices have gone up instead, making them nearly as expensive as a T1. As a lovely move, they are charging me for bogus carrier fees on my bill which they don't actually pay. And double-billing me at least once a year.

Speakeasy is now a very bad value: premium prices for a below-average service.

Comments:

Review by NgtFlyer See Profile

• Location: Marietta,Cobb,GA
Good "Was a good 8 year run before the 3 way merger."
Bad "Terrible value for money. More frequent unexplained outages."
Overall "All good things must come to an end."

After spending a couple of weeks reviewing different DSL providers, I decided to give Speakeasy a call. (My other choice would have been DirecTV DSL, glad I chose Speakeasy since I would be switching anyway!)

The person I spoke to in sales was very knowledgeable about routing and networking. This was the deciding factor. When I can ask a fairly advanced question and get a quick accurate answer BEFORE the sale, I know that I am in for good service AFTER the sale.

I ordered the 608/128 Sysadmin package that includes two static IP addresses, shell, rebate for the price of the self install kit which includes the Zyxel ethernet modem.

Speakeasy has a member page called "My Speakeasy" that gives access to all details about the account, webmail, news, status, etc. Among the choices you have is an order status page. This was kept up to date and provided me with the details I was looking for as the order progressed. When the self install kit arrived six days later, installation was a snap and my line was already live. I was online within 15 minutes of opening the box.

The connection itself has no bandwidth usage limit, no port or protocol blocking or watching and no limits on connections into or out of my network. For the IT professional, this is excellent. Of course, this means that the customer must take proper steps to secure their connection and configure their network.

Routing is very efficient with very low ping times throughout and zero packet loss. reliability has been perfect. I have only had to call technical support one time, and my call was handled courteously with minimal hold time and an instant resolution.

I would highly recommend Speakeasy for the technical professional who knows what he/she wants. Various packages and speeds are available.

I am completely satisfied with my choice in Speakeasy as my DSL provider.

**Update** Feb 6 2005

So here it is, two years later. I'm still a very happy Speakeasy customer with my highly upgraded account at 6.0/768. I work for a small IT solutions firm which has me in the field all the time. The nature of this business require a reliable connection to my servers back at home for diagnostics and tool availability. I have VPN tunnels established to a couple of places and push/pull a lot of data. No caps, connection is always fast and *always* up. In fact, my DSL connection is much more reliable than the Bellsouth T1 at the office, which has packet loss and sees downtime weekly. All of the engineers (all four) at work have been using my servers while in the field and have been very impressed with both speed and reliability. The connection just plain never goes down.

The few times I have needed to contact SE for support have always been an excellent experience. I have always been impressed with Speakeasy's well-trained team of engineers who extend best examples of courtesy and professionalism.

I still have the same Zyxel 645M. I think in two years this modem has required reset maybe three times. Not bad, considering I know of enterprise grade routers that need more attention than that.

Hats off to Speakeasy. Two years total customer satisfaction and hopefully many more!

**Update** Jan 27, 2007

Two years since my last update and absolutely nothing has changed. The connection is still solid, tech support (which is rarely ever needed) is always prompt and professional. Same Zyxel modem. Four years and counting. I'm very satisfied!

**Update** November 25, 2007

Almost another year, no change. I did finally ditch the land line and go with a dedicated data (Naked DSL) line. I was able to keep the same IPs and downtime was about the prescribed five days. Speed and reliability are still excellent.

**Update** April 3, 2011

So here it is, April of 2011. The Best Buy purchase really had no effect on my experience, but the Megapath/Covad/Speakeasy merger has. About two weeks ago, I was moved off of the Speakeasy network and over to Covad. High latency and obvious routing problems are prominent. I've been considering a change for awhile now as $146 a month (after all the junk fees) has become terrible value for money when I can get three times the speed for way less than half the money.

I work in IT, sometimes from home. I have servers. We transfer a lot of data. Static IPs are necessary and caps are not an option. I've made the call and am setting up a 50/10 Comcast Business connection. Kinda sad to lose these four static IP addresses that I've had since 2002, but it's time to move on. I can't bear to pay this much in 2011 for what was state of the art 12 years ago.

Comments:

Review by levin11 See Profile

• Location: Fremont,Alameda,CA
Bad "Overpriced"
Overall "Leave them"

I have been with Speakeasy for about five years -- since my previous ISP (jps.net) was bought by Earthlink and turned into a support nightmare. Speakeasy were expensive then, but their support & service were stellar and after a week without internet and hours spent on the phone conversing with Earthlink I was willing to pay the extra.

Fast-forward to today: I've bought an internet-connected TV so my 1.5Mbps became painfully irrelevant so I went shopping for 12 Mbps.

I started from Speakeasy. All they could do for me is to offer 6Mbps for $119/month! In the time and age when ATT&T cells 12Mbps fiber for $45 and Sonic.net offers unrestricted ADSL2+ *and* phone service for $40??? I've told the sales rep that at these prices I'm leaving and his answer was a sigh, like "yes, everyone does".

I've just placed my order with Sonic.net.

member for 4 years, 13 visits, last login: 3 years ago

Comments:

Review by isaac32767 See Profile

First they were an internet cafe. Then they were a "geek friendly" ISP. Then they got brought out by Best Buy, which didn't know what to do with them. Now they're a "Megapath Brand" which means they became part of a company that had already burned its fingers on DSL, and now is concentrating on high end business networking.

As long as you don't have technical problems, they're a decent, if somewhat expensive, provider. But if your DSL line goes bad, you get shunted to an undersourced support ghetto. The people that work there are smart enough, but not well versed with DSL issues.

If you're looking for connectivity for your home or small business, they're the wrong provider for you.

Comments:

Review by sandraj See Profile

• Location: Seattle,King,WA
Good "used to be ok"
Bad "horrible upload and download speed. poor tech support"
Overall "drop them asap"

I have been a customer for several years. They used to be ok, reasonable, not super fast, but reliable service. They have had a sudden drop off in quality in all areas. For three weeks have had horrible upload and download speeds, occasionally as low as .2 mbps download and .02 mbps upload according to their own speed test. Opened a ticket which has been open for over a week with absolutely no support other than asking me if I have a router. Called tech support 3 times and have waited on hold over 6 hours altogether with no assistance before hanging up.I am canceling service and getting another provider. They have the worst service I have ever experienced.

Comments:

Review by algollyer See Profile

• Location: Forest Hills,Queens,NY
Good "reliability, customer service"
Bad "price"
Overall "worth it!"

I've had Speakeasy for a while now. I pay $99 per month for DSL.

Real speed at speedtest.net on an 18 ms ping is

2.6 Mbps / 0.65 Mbps

Cancelling the service. Like so many here in NYC, the service simply stopped working, with sporadic outages. A tech visited and now they're trying to bill me $200 for their tech problem. Don't call tech support -- just drop the service.

Comments:

Review by jmedway See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR
Good "Used to be good.. Have been with them 7 years or so"
Bad "Service has been less than responsive in the last year, and sales couldn't care less."
Overall "To quote another reviewer: "They Used To Be Great, But Since Bought Out, They Could Care Less About Their DSL Customers""

I *knew* that the merger would screw them up more than they had been.

Two voice mail messages, a web form response, email to support and sales, and only now I finally get someone on IM to quote me two prices. Can I see a price/features sheet? Nope. Not on-line any more. Definitely seem to be trying to hide from comparison shopping, in part because they're expensive, and working toward seriously not worth it, any more.

$65 for 1.5/384 seems ridiculous these days.