Speakeasy page on DSLReports

Review by Miguel3239 See Profile

• Location: Manchester,Hillsborough,NH
Good "Reliable connection. Open policies are great!"
Bad "Taxes not included in price of service. With the elimination of the federal fees, SE increased their regulatory compliance fee."
Overall "Reliable connection but recent changes in company direction is leaving the residential customer feeling unimportant."

I have now had Speakeasy in four different locations over the last 8 years. I have recommended them to many people and even helped a customer of mine to choose them for their DSL.

Over the 8 years that I have been with SE, they have improved upon their deployment and setup as well as the move of service to other locations flawlessly. The only hiccups were the fault of the phone company and they were resolved quickly.

Unfortunately, the few times I have had to communicate with their tech support (about 6 years ago and then my customers past dealings with them) I have detected a change in who they are using for support. What I mean is that it appears that they have a Tier 1 support department dedicated to answering the common questions or rather FAQ that they received. The first thing these guys want to do when you have a connection problem is put you into safe mode instead of trying to troubleshoot the line first before placing you into safe mode. These fews times that I needed support (and even my customer that has SE) the problem had nothing to do with my end but rather the phone company. Anyways, it just seems that the more knowledgeable staff have either left or they only have a few around for when a problem needs to be escalated to the next level.

My next point has to do with the price. It is getting harder to justify the price for the service when other companies are offering business class connections at faster speeds with the ability to run servers at either the same price or less. This recent move by SE to hide a rate increase behind the term "Regulatory Compliance Fee" has caused me to update this review. If a company has a federal fee eliminated, why would the cost to comply to this regulation increase? If their regulatory compliance costs have truly increased, why did they not choose to increase them until this other fund was done away with by the FCC. If SE would break down the fee then maybe I would change my mind on this point.

Last but not least, their sales department or their transfer of service department dropped the ball on this last move I made. I wrote to them well in advance about changing my service and they failed to communicate with me until I had to contact them again right before my move. So, I was without service for two weeks due to this. This isn't a big deal to me except that SE was usually always on the ball with this and this is just another example of how the company is slowly declining (at least with their residential customers since I only have used them for residential service).

Overall, I have really enjoyed being with SE but recent moves by the company and the lack of communication with its customers is leaving a bad feeling with many of its loyal customers. See »End of Reg Fee = Higher Reg Compliance Fee??? for more details.

I currently have the Home Select Plus OneLink ADSL 1.5/384 Pro-Install (C)

(Update 02/01/2011)

I think the day has finally arrived. My routing sucks. Bouncing from NYC to LAX and back to NYC to BOS to more than one location just doesn't cut it anymore. Being told there is nothing they can do. They do not control the routes (even though the first few hops are on their own network). Something changed in their network. But I am just a lowly DSL user under their old residential offering.

member for 10.9 years, 2096 visits, last login: 41 days ago

Comments:

Review by rcbuitron See Profile

• Location: Geneva,Kane,IL
Good "Mostly reliable; excellent tech support; responds quickly"
Bad "Cost too high for me; Read review"
Overall "Very good service but wish it cost less"

I have been a customer for 8-9 years. At the time of purchase I opted for a shell, which cost more than standard. I never implemented the use of the shell. The monthly cost has creeped up about .50 per year, now paying about $5.00 more than when I started. The only problem I have (for nearly a year) that has not been completely resolved by tech support is when my internet connection occasionally drops after a landline phone call. I have 4 cordless handsets, one in the same room as the computer; the central charger is located downstairs in another room. The drops "sometimes" occur when I answer the phone in the same room as the computer, other times with another handset located elsewhere in the house. I attribute this to interference but not tech savvy to know what kind. Other than that, very satisfied with the service. Only wish that the ISP service cost less.

Comments:

Review by hubbert See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA
Good "The support people are very nice!"
Bad "Waiting on hold is bad and value/$ is below average"
Overall "If customer support is most important I would choose speakeasy."

I have used speakeasy for over 10 years now. I have always paid about what I am paying now however my service has changed quite a bit. Originally I was getting 768k/128k ADSL and as they have offered more and more services I kept calling and saying, "Hey I am paying $89 for 768 and now you have 1.5 for the same money. Whats up with that?" and they always replied, "OK, let me upgrade you!". I now have 3MBs/768K ADSL with static IPs and home hosting but I wish I could get FiOS or 40MBs ADSL2+ Annex M like some of my neighbors.

• Location: Berkeley,Alameda,CA
Good "Used to be good"
Bad "Turned bad now"
Overall "Don't use them any more"

They used to be excellent with their technical assistance and service
quality. Really bad now.

(review was emailed from domain TWGI.com)

Comments:

Review by Eebobb See Profile

• Location: Floral Park,Nassau,NY

member for 11.3 years, 4320 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jbartas

• Location: Cupertino,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Not much, anymore"
Bad "High cost, speed suddenly got much slower, and they think this is OK"
Overall "Once pretty good company has gone bad."

This was a good company for a long time, but they've gone down hill.
The problems started about 4-5 years ago, when they started pushing
business VoIP and quit caring about us residential customers - the rates
stopped being competitive, and service calls went from being answered
pretty much instantly to 10 minute hold times or multi-hour turnaround
on problems reported online.

Things have gone from bad to worse in the past few months, coincident
with their merger with Covad. My service has simply gone dead twice in
the last few weeks. The last time they could only get it back up to 1.25
Mbps on my 1.5 Mbps account. The service reps tell me that that's now
going to be as good as it gets.

One last thing - if you were an ISP taking down your net for
maintenance, what's the dumbest night of the year to do so? That's right
- Election night! And that's exactly what Speakeasy did the first
Tuesday in Novenber 2010.

They seem to have forgotten that they have competition - I'm calling
Sonic as soon as I can get my email addresses changed away the speakeasy
domain.

(review was emailed from domain speakeasy.net)

Comments:

Review by ClintJCL See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Fairfax,VA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "It works."
Bad "being kicked out for actually daring to use my bandwidth, when I told them in advance that that's what I'd be doing"
Overall "By far the biggest liars of any ISP I have ever dealt with. The worst of 7 DSL ISPs that I've had."

·Silicon Connecti..
After a VERY bad experience with Lightning Bolt DSL, I switched to SpeakEasy.

ALL problems were INSTANTLY resolved, but it didn't matter, because they are liars who screwd me over.

I negotiated for 5 IPs, as I am absolutely unwilling to pay $6/month for an IP. I know what an

UPDATE:

I have been harassed multiple times over the last few months for "using too much bandwidth". But of course, since they don't have limits, they wont tell me how much I am allowed to use. Just that it is "too much".

Against my best instincts, I complied with another request to install a scheduler, so that my bandwidth is limited to 25% levels during business hours. I even made business hours 10 hours long to deal with other time zones.

Again, I am called out and harassed today, despite the fact that I believe my usage has actually gone down a bit, and is certainly mostly during the evenings and night and weekends. Here is the email I got:

Hi Clint,

I know you can be rather difficult via email, but this cannot wait.

Are things still secure on your LAN? Have you added new wireless gear to your network that's not been locked down, maybe? You are severely over-utilizing your residential-class circuit, and are outside of compliance with our Terms of Service.

I know you are quite savvy, and since we have already discussed this matter, I must be firm. This download pattern must change, or your services will be terminated for abuse of our network.

Excerpted from »www.speakeasy.net/tos/#moderatio ··· deration
"Customers will not be charged for the bandwidth consumed, nor do we have specific limits or caps on that bandwidth. If you utilize any of your Speakeasy services in a manner which consumes excessive bandwidth or affects Speakeasy's core equipment, overall network performance, or other users' services, Speakeasy may require that you cease or alter these activities."

If something else has happened, then I humbly apologize for my tone, but you are still responsible for what happens at your end of the network.

Lawrence McBride
Executive Escalation Manager

Toll Free > 800-556-5829 ext. 5103
Direct > 206.971-5103 Fax > 206.728-1500
Email > lawrence@hq.speakeasy.net
www.speakeasy.net

At this point, I feel very lied to. Who else thinks I should take them to small claims court for my setup fees (both for them, and for my next ISP)?

In the end, the terminated me. THEY CALLED ME UP AND SPECIFICALLY SAID, "DOWNLOAD LESS THAN 100 GIGS NEXT MONTH, OR WE WILL DISCONNECT YOU". Does that sound like what Lawrence McBride just said? Hell no. I also specifically asked them if I was negatively affecting other users' service, and they said no. They just didn't like me downloading 250G in a month. That's my prerogative!

They even threatened me with a $300 early termination fee, despite the fact that THEY WERE TERMINATING ME.

EarthLink may be the worst ISP ever, but SpeakEasy is the biggest hypocrite of an ISP.

Here is the link to my screenshots of their pre-sales chat where they, apparently, lied to me about the ability to use 100% of my bandwidth!:

»www.flickr.com/photos/clintjcl/7 ··· 6331358/

So yes -- I caught them lying. They say in pre-sales you can do what you want, then when you dare to actually do what you want, they cut your service. They are liars and should be sued.

Comments:

Review by sharondippity See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
  • Telco party SBC
Good "service has almost never been disrupted"
Bad "don't know yet"
Overall "haven't had a problem to test out their customer service yet"

I have had no problems with Speakeasy besides a one hour outage a month or so ago. I have yet to try to resolve anything with their customer service because they have not given me a reason to do so. I had a miscommunication at the very beginning with some jacka$$ who had terrible phone manners, i.e. interrupting me and talking to me as if I were an imbecile. Every company has their token jacka$$ so that does not even factor into how I think their service is overall. I have nothing but praise so far.

**update**

switched to Sonic 11-18-2010 for better price and faster speed.

Comments:

Review by kwisatz See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "speed, static IP's, bridged connection"
Bad "cost"
Overall "you get what you pay for..."

6.0/768
order smooth, install smooth
Broadxent DSL bridge
The connection was extremely reliable until ATT U-verse came to town and installed a VRAD next to the old box, and Speakeasy/Covad no longer had access to ATT's RT, which meant my loop length went from 800ft to ~19000ft, which in turn killed my dsl speed, and they were perfectly happy to still charge me the same amount, saying they aren't guaranteed transport on other lines, and have to make changes once in awhile.

Comments:

Review by sunbee See Profile

• Location: Scottsdale,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Absolutely None"
Bad "salesman misrepresented terms, off-on problems with connection, lousy lying customer service"
Overall "Worse DSL experience ever had. Stay away"

Speakasy has been the absolute worst dsl experience I have ever had in the 9 years I've had high-speed internet.

When I signed up, I gave them my debit card and the salesman said it would not be charged and that I could use auto-billing or go on-line to pay. A few months into the service they charged my card resulting in numerous overdrafts. The rep told me they would not reverse the charge but credit me on the next bill for a months service. I was also told a supervisor would call me the next day. That was 9 months ago, never happened.

To get the bill credit, I had to call in again. When I told them I wanted to cancel, they said I was under a 12 month contract and would be charged an early termination fee. Salesperson had told me when I signed up it was month-to-month.

Also I told them I wanted my card out of their system. They said they COULD do that, but I decided not to. Now today I want the card out of the system, now they say they CAN'T.

At first the service was alright. Installation did go smooth. But for the first six months this year, I've had intermittent outages esp. for hours in the early morning and slow speed. Then for three months it was fine. Nothing has changed on my end at all - it was on their end. Now I'm having the outages in the early morning again.

It is absolutely ludicrous to talk to these idiots at SpeakEasy. They lie, pass the buck, ignore direct questions (simple ones like what date the current bill covers). Run-around. Do yourself a favor, stay away from them. They don't value their customers at all.