Speakeasy page on DSLReports

Review by winfire692 See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Been with them for 6yrs reliable up to three weeks ago"
Bad "Misrepresented, estimate customers distance from Covad not exact, not able to provide speed"
Overall "Have 25 days to cancel"

Decided to upgrade my old DSL to onelink plus $105.95. Very upset with the installation process verizon came out 3 times to tag the circuit ( very nasty). Covad came twice. I want to keep my existing phone # for faxing ( dedicated line only for Speakeasy) thats wasn't the case. They had to bring the old line down in order to bring the new line up. Fine. Spoke to Speakeasy they told me that my existing phone # is out lingering until I get a out side person to come and hook back up a line to use my existing #. Then lo and behold found out that I'm not getting 6.0 b/c I'm too far away from covad. I'm locate 11,000 feet from them and I need to be @ 10,000 feet to get 6.0. Now this is after installation is complete. Rep told me that she will downgrde my service to 3.0 dn 768 up. Pissed because verizon think they slick. Come home from work and lo and behold I'm not getting 3.0 but its @ 2.5 call Speakeasy up they gave me a cock and bull story. They can't provide 6.0 but also they can't provide at least 3.0. WTH. I love speakeasy never had a problem with them but this here might just make me go to cable. I'm torn Speakeasy u hurt me bad real bad.

Comments:

Review by exussum See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Responsive to phone calls."
Bad "Lately, slow due to old infrastucture."
Overall "May not be staying with them once contrat is up."

I've been a customer of speakeasy for about 5 or so years now. I've always recommended them since my first experience with them about 10 years ago.

It's with my deep regret that I cannot recommend them anymore. Speaking with a tech about my random traceroute times, they say that their infrastructure in NYC is not up to snuff and have no ETA on when it will be.

The problem I'm hoping to solve is randomness with ping times. Hulu and the online games I play have been wonky. Performing traceroutes has shown a consistent increase, hop per hop, for my ping times per hop. It's utterly random. The first hop may be 300ms, or 20ms, then the second may or may not be more or less.

Sadly, I had to prod to keep the ticket open so that I can get a valid answer, if something will be fixed soon, by a certain time, or if ever. Credit to the tech, I did put him on the spot. Unfortunately, re-provisioning my virtual circuit has been done about 5 times now. Rebooting over and over won't solve much.

C'mmon speakeasy. This is your time to shine. You've done it now and again, and given me satisfactory service. Is this our grand goodbye when my contract is up? I'm paying a premium for your overall quality, rather than a lopsided speedy line, crappy customer service.

Comments:

Review by addesso See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA
Good "Was great for several years."
Bad "Isn't so great now. A lot of intermittent disconnects several times an hour. Very long hold times when calling tech support."
Overall "We've switched to DSL Extreme."

After several years of great service with Speakeasy, we decided to switch over to DSL Extreme. It seemed that $50 for 1.5/768 dry-loop DSL wasn't competitive enough with the competition.

But what really drove the nail in the coffin was that I noticed we started having intermittent disconnect issues several times an hour for several hours, sometimes lasting as long as 30 minutes. Nothing we tried at home seemed to solve this issue, and we turned to customer support. But because it was an intermittent problem, they said they wouldn't know what the issue was unless we called while our line was down. Not a problem, but getting through to customer support at a time the line was down was near to impossible (see below).

Customer support is helpful and courteous, BUT the hold time on the phone can be EXTREMELY LONG. My averages have been about 15 minutes, and I've waited as long as 45 mins--and then the line disconnected, so I had to call back and get in line again! (I actually called sales and told them what happened and was hoping they could just connect me with someone. The salesperson said that they would be able to accommodate me, but he just ended up transferring me to the same number!) Also, I have never been able to catch customer support at the same time the line was down, so they never noticed a problem on their end. Frustrating, because I'm sure if they just monitored the line, they would catch it, but they never offered that suggestion.

I do have to admit that they did get our Speakeasy DSL running again quickly when we were getting a land line installed from AT&T for DSL Extreme. The AT&T service person had stolen the pair for the Speakeasy DSL, and (once I was able to get through to customer support!) the support rep did quickly help us get our DSL up again and said he would handle it personally, tho it did take several days of back and forth between AT&T and Covad. He did call with updates and followed up through email also. Definitely one of the better customer service moments I've had.

Overall, we probably would have stayed if the pricing was more competitive and if tech support could have fixed the intermittency issue. The long hold times with tech support was a BIG issue also.

Comments:

Review by ElMosca See Profile

• Location: Sonoma,Sonoma,CA
Good "Solid service for seven great years. Great customer support."
Bad "They are leaving my area."
Overall "Worth the additional money because of their great support."

A happy customer since 2002. I am looking for another ISP because unfortunately, Speakeasy is leaving my area. Never had a billing problem and never had any down time during office hours. Service is knowledgeable (they don't force you through any simple troubleshooting steps that you may have performed before calling them), patient, courteous and effective.

Comments:

Review by garmst See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Consistent high speed. Runs at specified data rate. Good support."
Bad "None that I can think of at this point."
Overall "Speakeasy remains my ISP of choice. I had them at 2 apartments and all went well."

I have the 8/1 ADSL service. 99% of the time it runs a full speed. I moved from my old apartmetn that had Speakeasy and they handled the move/install so I had no downtime after the move. New ADSL2 modem was in and running BEFORE I moved. Installation staff worked well. My special instructions went into the system and were followed. Site install technician was a fast and knowledgeable guy.

Up to this point Speakeasy is my choice above Time Warner Cable. I wish I had more upload but ADSL2 can only go so far.

member for 14.2 years, 2070 visits, last login: 3.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by noonbug See Profile

• Location: Fremont,Alameda,CA
Good "Fast, reliable service, reasonable prices, allows you to run your own servers, and really great customer service"

I'm providing an after the fact review, as we just canceled our account today. We'd never have done so except that their switch from AT&T to Covad left us out of their coverage area. They personally called us a month ago to let us know that this would be happening in December, apologizing profusely.

We've been Speakeasy customers for nearly 5 years now, as best I can recall. I can count the downtime on one hand, and we've only ever needed to call their technical support twice - once for help with initial setup and once to shut it down. They were friendly, efficient and competent at both ends.

We paid for their 1.5/384 service with static IPs, but were regularly getting 3/768, if not better. We went with them initially because they were one of the few providers we could find at the time that had no problem allowing us to run our own servers AND supplied static IPs at a reasonable cost - many note that it is against their terms of service.

We found many more options this time around, but still are sad to be leaving this company.

Comments:

Review by khalberg See Profile

• Location: Cleveland,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Four static IP's at 5Mb, good support"
Bad "Would like to have a service breakout that would allow some features to be dropped to make the service a bit cheaper per month."
Overall "Pricing and support for multiple PC's/Gaming at a reasonable cost"

Have looked at cable and AT&T, but these are much more expensive when you get a static IP and you have to pay for each upgrade of speed for up/down.

1.5Mb/384Kb Down/Up

ZyXel 600 Modem

Support has been great!

Upgraded last week to 6Mb service after testing 3Mb with good results. I am getting over 4.5Mb with speeds usually just over 5100Kbps. Speakeasy support was able to change the service over the phone and let me try it to see how the service worked before changing.

Very satisfied with the service and support. Wish that the service was a bit less expensive, but I don't have cable and my VOIP is cheap with VIATak (highly recomended also) so I am saving there.

VOIP works much better with the higher speed. They would break up sometimes when we were downloading or streaming at the 1.5Mbps speed.

Comments:

Review by Gomez See Profile

• Location: Atlanta,Dekalb,GA
  • Telco party BellSouth
Good "Good speed (around 1200/600), zero problems in set up, responsive support. Static ip."
Bad "None yet. Update: To many alternatives with better cost/Mb."
Overall "So far so good. Update: Terminating service"

Put in the order 1/27, after cancelling earthlink. There was one minor delay in waiting for earthlink to release the line, and get it reprovisioned. This likely could have been avoided had I waited to order, but ordering got me dialup access I would need during the transation.

The one call to support was due to an Auth error which ended up being "no more minutes" for dialup. This was handled quickly, and at no cost.

Up on 02/11 (10 business days later) with no difficulties as of yet. Now that this is working to satisfaction, I'll be upgrading to the 3.0/768 plan. Which will prompt a rereview, in which I'll have a better feel for overall reliability.

10/19/09 - Update.

Performance has been degrading over time. Since the recent rains, mostly unusable. Constant 20%, presumably as it's re-syncing. To the point now that uploading a 20 meg file to work is next to impossible.

Opened ticket, got a response that I need to call voice while having access to the modem. Understandable, I guess.

In the mean time, I explored alternatives, and decided that I could get a lot more bandwidth for much less money.

"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Comments:

Review by dm2030 See Profile

• Location: Brighton,Suffolk,MA
Good "--"
Bad "--"
Overall "none"

I had initially left a bad review, but Speakeasy fixed my problems with them, so I feel it inappropriate to leave the bad review up. Carry on...

Comments:

Review by robscullion See Profile

• Location: Philadelphia,Philadelphia,PA
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Explicit rights to run Web/Mail/FTP servers on the account,"
Bad "Pricey"
Overall "Great DSL Provider. Good VoIP provider. Worth the extra $"

January 2002

I ordered the sysadmin 608/128 RADSL static IP package for $59.95/month on 11/28. Installation was accomplished via a self-install kit from Covad using line-share DSL. Got the self-install kit in the mail around 12/8 or so and was up and running using the SpeedStream 5260 at ~ 520/111 a hour or so later. I checked around and those #'s seemed to be about what was to be expected from 608/128 RADSL.

Called to have my extra IP allocated and it was taken care of on the spot. Same with our extra email box and shell account. I don't currently use the web-space of news services so I can't really comment on that. Customer service has been great every time I've contacted them. During the ordering process, the TAC system was very effective in communicating where my order was and what, if any, issues were pending.

Beyond the premium price, It's hard to find fault with Speakeasy. They've delivered on everything they promised me so far and I've never had a less than pleasant interaction with the folks running the phones and feedback system. I've also had great support from Covad directly on these forums regarding service upgrade possibilities. In the end, the explicit right to run servers was what sold me on the service. Not having to deal with PPPoE is another benefit.. I guess you have to pay a little more for good service but so far it's a trade-off I'm happy to make.

November 11th, 2005

Due to a recent apartment move, on 10/13 I called up SE to switch my service from the old place to the new place. I was pretty sure I wanted to try OneLink + VoIP but wasn't clear on some of the details. After talking to SE sales, I in fact decided to go with that configuration using the low-end TechPlus package, which is 1.5/384 with 2 static IPs. The OneLink package at that speed was $65.95/month + fees. Speakeasy Voice is $23.95/month + fees for the usual unlimited local + NA long distance plus voice-mail, call waiting etc. Since I was signing up for both at once the $100 setup for OneLink and the $40 setup for Voice were both waived. I ended up being responsible only the $16 S/H fee for the ATA, in addition to the 12 month contract on DSL + VoIP. After a brief discussion with the sales rep, we decided to skip shipping Broadxent modem since my Speedstream 5260 should be fine for the task and it would let me skip doing the $100 rebate dance.

On 10/21, the Verizon tech showed up right on schedule to setup the dry pair. He had to install a new NID since the existing wiring was pretty messy. I was pleasantly suprised at the great job & service he provided, considering the problems I've heard of with other ILEC/CLEC interactions.

On 10/26, the Covad rep showed up, also on schedule, to setup the DSL connection. The Covad tech was very professional & helpful, answering my newbie questions about VoIP wiring etc while he examined the home wiring looking for the right pair for the DSL. He even installed a new wall-jack since the old one looked pretty suspect. All in all, he did a quick thorough job and the connection has been rock solid since day 1.

On 11/2, I received my VoIP ATA (Moto VT1005s) from SE and put that in place. That commenced a few days of outages with both my DSL connection and VoIP which I was, unfortunately, to busy to properly diagnose. On Saturday, after reading the ATA manual poking around the ATA management interface and talking to support it turned out that the ATA was using the same static IP I had used on my NAT router. I have no idea how I ever got inbound IP connections at all in that 2 day period, but that was obviously the root of them problem. I switched to the other IP listed for my account and the problem was completely resolved.

Since then, both the DSL and VoIP service have performed flawlessly. Voice quality has been excellant and no service interruptions to date. The QoS thing seems to work well also, although I haven't really stressed it by talking during a BT session or anything. I also have yet to play with the extras, like accessing voice mail via IMAP etc but the basics are working well.

Aside from the confusion regarding the static IP on the ATA and the router I don't think this could have gone smoother. I was a bit suprised that the techs didn't hit on the static IP issue right off, but they were probably giving me too much credit to think I'd mess that up. It would be good if the IPs for a given account were ID'd as public or VoIP to avoid this in the future. It's not clear from the TAC interface which IP is allocated for VoIP and which is for regular service. The fact that the TechPlus package comes with 2 static IPs just confused the issue further.

The only real gripe I had was the serial nature of the OneLink and VoIP setups. Luckily, I wasn't porting a number, so it took only a week or so to get that going. Still, it added around a week to the overall install period. If that could be done in parallel, it would certainly be a lot nicer.

Generally, the whole experience confirmed my confidence in SE as a top notch operation. Given that I had no unscheduled outages of note in my entire tenure with them, I'm expecting the same sort of experience with the new naked DSL and VoIP service.

November 13th, 2005

I had a chance to check out the quality if the VoIP connection while torrenting a few files. It's not flawless, but the quality was tolerable. It sort of "burbled" a bit as if there were small micro-dropouts, but never got to the point where is seriously affected the conversation. So I'd give the QoS on Speakeasy Voice an A-. Not perfect, but definitely good enough.

November 22nd, 2005

Just wanted to sound a positive note for the SE billing dept. During the course of troubleshooting the VoIP problem, the tech shipped out a new DSL modem to me freeof charge. I was a little dismayed to see a $99 self-install kit charge show up on my bill today. I called SE ready for a tussle and was pleasently surprised when the tech simply verified my story via the trouble ticket system and issued a $99 credit. I had heard that the billing dept did not get the same high marks as SE tech support, but so far they've handled the few billing issues I've had quickly and to my complete satisfaction.

Reading back my whole log, I probably come off like a SE shill or a fan-boi. All I can say is that, having dealt with Comcast, Verizon & AOL, getting this kind of service from a company makes me want to let people know. I'm generally a cheapskate (one of the reasons I switched to VoIP) but in this case I've found SE really does provide superior value for the extra money.

December 4, 2005

Just a VoIP update as the data service has been problem free. VoIP quality is decent, but some calls do sound a bit garbled. It hasn't been so bad that it actually interfereed with the conversation, but there are occasional micro-drop outs and echoes. Also, I confirmed something observed by another user: SE VoIP caller ID is phone # only, not # + name. Kind of weird and annoying if you're used to standard POTS caller ID, which gives both.

Neither problem is enough to make me want to switch away from SE Voice, but I'd say it's not quite up to the quality of POTS yet. So far I've never failed to have a call placed and no one has mentioned problems dialing in, so it's still looking like a reliable service. Just not *quite* POTS in terms of sound quality.

December 27, 2005

I saw in the SE forum that Caller ID + Name is back. Just wanted to note it here to be fair to Speakeasy. I was also recently informed that I've got free international calling to 22 countries. I doubt I'll ever use it, but it's a feature of the service so it seemed worth mentioning.

March 18, 2006

Voice quality on the VoIP line has settled out at decent to good. Most of the time the quality is somewhere between that of a cell phone and a POTS line. I have had several instances in the last month of calls in which one party could suddenly no longer hear the other. I'm pretty sure most of them involved calls to cell phones, but I'm not sure if that's significant. Otherwise, I really can't complain. It's still pricey overall, but no outages for either the DSL or the VoIP.

June 09, 2006

I discovered a month or so back that most of my quality problems with my SE Voice service actually stemmed from a combination of 2.4ghz cordless phones and a pair of WRT54G wireless routers. I was fooled as we had a similar combination at our old place before my Oct move and didn't notice any problems. That was before I added a second WRT and setup a WDS "bridge" to my front room just after our move. Once we purchased 5.8ghz units, the voice quality improved dramatically. Still just a shade below POTS but no longer as burbly as I had previously reported

June 09, 2009

Having retired my home server sometime last year and moved over to Comcast HSI last month, I finally made the difficult phone call to disconnect my SE service. I still give SE very high marks for reliability and professionalism, but $70/month for 1.5mbit DSL is just too much when I'm no longer taking advantage of the perks. I wish I could keep the VoIP service, but it only rides on their own network so it will have to go as well. I've left it active for the next few days as I pursue options for porting the number (which was an option I didn't know I had), but as of now I'm effectively an ex-Speakeasy customer.

As always, the Speakeasy rep was professional and helpful, even pointing out the possibility of porting our number to another provider. I got more than 7 good and trouble-free years from Speakeasy and would recommend them in a heartbeat to anyone who needs a residential broadband service with static IP and the right to run servers. It comes at a fairly steep price, but if that's what you need, this is the company you want to go with.

Sept 05, 2009

Last entry. Had a bit of a mixup with the SE billing dept. I thought I was free-and-clear following the port of my VoIP number to Comcast, but I received a letter this week telling me I owed $10.19. Called the SE #, talked to the customer service rep and he waived the remaining balance and confirmed that my account was closed, bringing my experience with SE to a pleasant conclusion.

member for 12.9 years, 3761 visits, last login: 170 days ago