Peak to Peak Internet page on DSLReports

Good "Nothing any more"
Bad "Disappears with no warning; nobody answers phones"
Overall "Stay away"

Peak to Peak has turned into a complete mess. I have used them for over 10 years, and until the last year or so working with them was reliable and uneventful. If there were any problems I could talk to someone and get it resolved quickly. Then they went way south (apologies to the South). Now they just disappear with no warning for days at a time, and there is no way to get anyone on the phone. When they re-appear, there is no explanation, no apology, nothing. At this time (Dec 17, 2012) they are once again offline and their voicemail system loops me back to the beginning, with no hope of actually talking with someone. Glass door reviews show that the people that work there aren't too happy either. If they come back, I'm out. Stay away.

(review was emailed from domain earthlink.net)

Comments:

Review by moredd See Profile

• Location: Saint Paul,Ramsey,MN
Bad "WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER"

After having this account for well over 7 years this issue started at the end of October 2012 - My email was disconnected due to "non-payment" however we had our credit card on file with the company to charge (looking at other complaints this is a reoccurring issue with other customers as well). Took 4 days to get it reconnected after payment was immediately made. just a couple days after this my email was again disconnected after receiving a canned email containing only a user agreement and nothing else of information or note. This company then again charged my bank card for an additional month of service which has not been received. I have spent the last 8 days calling and leaving voice mail (it is impossible to talk to ANYONE live at this company) opening and updating tickets on their website under billing and tech support and sending emails to billing and tech support daily. I have no access STILL to my email business or personal. No response from this company except again another user agreement with no additional information or explanations provided. I need documents that are sitting in this email for tax purposes as well as for outstanding orders (from my business website) that need to be fulfilled. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY FOR ANY REASON. I have filed a complaint with the BBB about this company and their abhorrent service.

L. Redd

Comments:

ISP123

@grouptelecom.net

ISP Email

For future use never use any ISP email be it shaw, telus or bell use Gmail or Gmail apps or exchange for business this way you always have it
moredd

join:2012-11-08
Saint Paul, MN
·Peak to Peak Int..

Follow up - HORRIBLE ISSUES CONT.

They now claim they disconnected my service on Nov 1st, 2012 for "introducing a virus" into their servers that was causing spam to be sent under my name from their servers. This is not true as I received no bounces, or anything of the like that would have happened if my email was being used as a spam address, also had my computer checked by both multiple programs for malware, information gathering software, and viruses as well as taking it in to a professional who stated that my computer was 100% clean. I also know enough not to open the scam emails that want personal information and never to open an attachment from an unknown source or one that I am not expecting.
Peak to peak has continued to charge me and not provide service and now has been spamming me almost daily with a UA agreement as well.
Via email - I was called stupid and told that firewalls only block ports lol...when I suggested they should use a firewall and other security measures if they wanted to avoid being hacked or have issues with unwanted intrusions into their servers in the future. (I did NOT hack them or give my log in info to anyone).

BEWARE THIS COMPANY IS HORRIBLE AND THEY ARE STILL CHARGING MY CREDIT CARD. (I will be going to my bank to have the charges reversed and have their ability to charge me blocked in the morning)

Review by jfhutton See Profile

• Location: Fort Collins,Larimer,CO
Good "Rarely Down"
Bad "Rental modems tend to be cheap (have been through 2)"
Overall "Peak 2 Peak with Qwest is a reasonable home solution"

I have enjoyed working the Peak to Peak folks. (The folks at Qwest have been a little less responsive).

I have one of the lowest speed DSL services from Qwest (cost conscious). After several years I am reasonably pleased.

I have been using wireless without much problems.

I also run a linux box which works well. However, doing modem setup for the linux box is always something of a pain. With the current Qwest ActionTec modem I have, I had to give up on getting DSN through the modem working. A minor pain.

Comments:

Review by mojohojo See Profile

• Location: Westminster,Adams,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Reliable and clean service"
Bad "Not the best when your stuff breaks"
Overall "Great ISP for the technically savvy."

I have been a Peak to Peak subscriber for nearly four years now and have been extremely happy. Not to be simplistic but everything just works. No hiccups on their end when I mentioned that I don't have a windows box on the premises. No qualms about requesting a static IP. No complaints when I have to do a scan or pen test (I work in INFOSEC). SDSL? No problem. All that and decent spam filtering for $20/mo. Qwest gets their $28/mo in blood money and everything is fine.

For better or worse you need to remember that they are not a giganto ISP with 100 engineers working in the NOC. Sometimes you will get voicemail when you call to find out why the link is down. Once you do get ahold of someone though, they know *exactly* what is wrong, how to fix and when it will get back up. They have decent SLAs with all of their hardware vendors so it is usually an hour or two before the melted hardware is replaced and everything is humming again. Of course YMMV. All of that being said I'm under the impression that they are not the best provider when it your end of the equation that is misconfigured. But if you take the time to read the FAQs posted on their site, you should be fine.

Comments:

Review by dub4u See Profile

• Location: Boulder,Boulder,CO
Good "Easy to install"
Bad "nothing bad so far"
Overall "No problems. Would recommend to anyone usingQwest DSL"

Moved from slow Qwest/MSN (640/256) to Qwest/PeakToPeak (1.5Mbps).

They helped in every phase of the move even conference calling with Qwest service to make sure everything was transferred correctly. Once I got my new Qwest DSL modem, they gave me all the info I needed to connect. Even had a small issue with the equipment, which they help me clear up right away. Took about 1 week to get my static IP.

Great service...running my entire home network and sharing with some neighbors.

member for 12.1 years, 170 visits, last login: 5.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by Eric the Gre See Profile

• Location: Broomfield,Broomfield,CO
  • CLEC party: Qwest
Good "Very quick and efficient setup and customer service"
Bad "Calling after hours was ineffectual."
Overall "The best ISP I've ever used."

I had Peak to Peak for slightly over 2 years during which time I had very few problems. A couple of times it was due to Qwest's equipment dropping us off the internet, and only once was it due to something happening on their end. They had it fixed by the next morning (this happened late at night and I did not hang around to see how long it lasted).

When we first got our account set up, we received detailed information on how to set up our router, and they even gave us the steps to configure it using NAT so we could run more than one computer. All this for no additional charge. They even worked with me when I had difficulty getting the setup correct.

The only detriment during the time I was a customer, was trying to reach someone after horus. Their phone message at the time repeated itself endlessly without giving information that actually said they were closed. Just "please hang on the line and someone will be with you..." This proved frustrating until I discovered exactly when they left for the day, and stopped calling after that time.

That was about 8 months ago since I moved to an area where I could not get DSL and had to switch to cable. I fully plan to sign up for DSL again, and again through Peak to Peak, when I set up my new residence phone number.

Comments:

Review by MichaelGee See Profile

• Location: Loveland,Larimer,CO
Good "Installation, sales to install time frame, costs: accurrate, no surprises; smooth, no glitch install."
Bad "I didn't have any bad experiences; all follow business was responded to quickly."
Overall "Peak to Peak Sales and Tech Support helpful, patient, and professional."

From sale through install I had and have had good, professional, responsive experiences with Peak to Peak staff. Additionally, their President emailed me to follow up on the quality of service received. The President offered to resolve any problems including those problems arising in the future. I have recommended Peak to Peak to a couple of people.
Speed ordered: SDSL 384/384Kbps
Price: 80/month
order/install: smooth, no glitches, on schedule
home equip: running 233 Celeron, 256Mb Ram, many Operating Systems on swappable hard drives
IP: PPPoE

Comments:

Review by munkeyhunx See Profile

• Location: Boulder,Boulder,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Solid performance, willing to help out with problems."
Bad "I would have liked to choose a faster line speed."
Overall "I recommend it."

I was using a Comcast cable modem and moved to a new area. Comcast didn't have service there, so I called Qwest to get DSL. Qwest said I could not get DSL service! I was bummed, so I started calling ISPs in the phone book. A couple I tried told me the same thing, that I didn't qualify for DSL. I called Peak to Peak and they said I qualified for Covad. The cost was a bit high. The sales person offered to do a manual test to see if he could turn up other options. About an hour later, he called me back, and not only did I qualify for a cheaper form of DSL, but it was on Qwest's DSL network! How is it that Peak to Peak can get me hooked up with Qwest DSL but Qwest couldn't do it?

So I placed the order expecting complete failure. 4 days later my equipment showed up, and the next day Peak to Peak called me to tell me my line was active! The setup instructions were fairly clear for PPP mode, but I had a hiccup with the router (ActionTec). I called Peak to Peak tech support and got the problem resolved in about 15 minutes. They also told me that ActionTec routers should really be on a UPS because they are sensitive to power problems. So I plugged it in to my UPS and no problems since. Speeds are exactly what they should be for the line (640/256) and surfing is very fast. My gaming works well and I'm not getting disconnected so I'd have to say that the latency is really good.

I'd like to have a faster DSL line, but apparently my distance to the telephone switch is too long, so 640/256 is as fast as it will get. But I've been pleased with the service. I think what I learned from this experience is that you shouldn't bother calling the telephone company, just call ISPs to see if you can get hooked up. Somehow Peak to Peak was able to find out something Qwest didn't know about my line although I haven't received a good explanation of this.

Comments:

Review by bjowens See Profile

• Location: Colorado Springs,El Paso,CO
  • CLEC party: Qwest
Good "No good points that I can think of"
Bad "They suck from top to bottom and end to end; 100% crap"
Overall "No service ethics, completely inept technical support"

Only God and your undying patience will get you through a technical issue with Peak to Peak phone support. My issues started with them right from the beginning and never stopped. Finally out of pure frustration I cancelled them after only one month.

Upon getting DSL service in July 2003 I specified I wanted a static address. When I received my network settings from them I was given an IP address and subnet mask that were incompatible. Directly from their instructions:

Step 5. Click on the IP Tab. Please Enter the IP address 199.165.157.91 and subnet mask 255.255.255.252

When I discovered this and called them, their tech support argued that their settings were correct until I proved to them otherwise. Only then did he escalate the issue to get it fixed. It took 3-4 business days and a weekend to get this worked out.

When setting up the service about the only thing they got right was the billing address. I never got the static IP address I was paying for. Finally my service went down completely. I called them up and they immediately started denying the problem was theirs (even though my traceroutes were dying in their network) and refused to listen to any information I had about the issue. Realizing I was getting nowhere I asked to talk to their supervisor who was even less receptive than the tech support person. I finally cancelled my service with them and would advise anyone considering using them to think twice. I am going back to my previous ISP (datawest.net).

I have been doing computer work for almost 25 years and seemingly without fail know more about the technical issues I am calling about than the so-called experts trying to help. The cocksure attitude of the tech support at Peak to Peak is a sign of limited experience. If you like to diagnose your ISPs issues using your time and your computer because your ISP lacks the experience to understand they could be wrong, then Peak to Peak is a good ISP for you. They will only admit a mistake if you are able to prove beyond any doubt that the fault is theirs. I might add that you can only make your case after diagnosing their network with your PC. They will not listen until then.

From A-Z, Peak to Peak is that crappiest ISP I have ever had. I was even forewarned on this very site that Peak to Peak was capable of this type of service. I should have listened, and so should you!

Other stuff:

Upload/Download speed: OK but less than advertised (my Qwest line is rated for 1 Megabit so I doubt it is a line issue)

Ping Times: Pretty bad (I don’t have stats but hitting my website from the Internet always had a severe lag time for everyone)

Uptime: Mediocre at best (I was down constantly and never received warnings for outages)

Phone support: Tech support is the absolute worst. Sales were polite but nothing I ever heard from them turned out to be true.

Comments:

Review by chad9023 See Profile

• Location: Fort Collins,Larimer,CO
  • Telco party New Edge Networks
  • CLEC party: New Edge Networks
Good "Tech support quick, friendly and helpful"
Overall "Helpful, relible service, would recommend to family and friends"

After several months of horrible service with AT&T Broadband, we decided to investigate DSL. I had dealt with Peak to Peak in the past as a dial-up provider, and have had a standing email account with them for several years. As there would be 4 of us sharing the internet connection, we needed something faster than Qwest could provide, so we decide to go through a New Edge Networks line, the 1.1 Mbps up/down. The installation was wonderful. New Edge was there before the scheduled install date, they ran a new phone right to our firewall, and got the connection set up, all in under an hour.

The first week of DSL was great. The speed wasn't as fast as our cable connection, but was 1000 times more reliable. We were regularly getting download speeds of 80-100 kbps. We then decided to add a static subnet to our account. Within a day, Peak to Peak had sent us the subnet and instructions for reconfiguring our router. Unfortunately, I decided to do this late at night, and when things didn't work, we were down. I called Peak to Peak the next day, who helped me get ahold of New Edge Networks, and between the 3 of us, we got the line back up that day, subnet and all. (Problem ended up being a reconfiguration on the New Edge end.) Since then our service has gone down once, because of problems at New Edge. It was resolved within 2 hours. We've experienced occasional problems with one of their upstream providers, Sprint. However, the problems are infrequent, and after doing many traceroutes, I've noticed that Peak to Peak uses several upstream providers (I've counted 3 so far), so Sprint's problems usually go unnoticed.

I've read several reviews that complain of bad experience with the Peak to Peak billing department. After getting a couple invoices and a late notice, I called them up, put a credit card on file, and they've been charging it ever since. I get a monthly email invoice telling me when and what they charged the card for. No complaints here.

I also own a company that does computer work, specifically setting up computers/networks/internet for other companies. Since ordering my own DSL, I've setup one customer with Peak to Peak service. They went with the basic Qwest line, 640 down, 256 up. Qwest, for once on top of the ball, had the circuit up on their install date. When I had to configure the Cisco 678 onsite, a Peak to Peak rep walked me through the setup over the phone, and we got it working on the first try, 10 minutes later.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the Peak to Peak experience.

UPDATE: Peak to Peak has since dropped Sprint as an Upstream provider, and I've found no problem since then. My connection has only improved in the last 6 months, and I couldn't be happier.