Peak to Peak Internet page on DSLReports

Good "Nothing any more"
Bad "Disappears with no warning; nobody answers phones"
Overall "Stay away"

Peak to Peak has turned into a complete mess. I have used them for over 10 years, and until the last year or so working with them was reliable and uneventful. If there were any problems I could talk to someone and get it resolved quickly. Then they went way south (apologies to the South). Now they just disappear with no warning for days at a time, and there is no way to get anyone on the phone. When they re-appear, there is no explanation, no apology, nothing. At this time (Dec 17, 2012) they are once again offline and their voicemail system loops me back to the beginning, with no hope of actually talking with someone. Glass door reviews show that the people that work there aren't too happy either. If they come back, I'm out. Stay away.

(review was emailed from domain earthlink.net)

Comments:

Review by moredd See Profile

• Location: Saint Paul,Ramsey,MN
Bad "WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER"

After having this account for well over 7 years this issue started at the end of October 2012 - My email was disconnected due to "non-payment" however we had our credit card on file with the company to charge (looking at other complaints this is a reoccurring issue with other customers as well). Took 4 days to get it reconnected after payment was immediately made. just a couple days after this my email was again disconnected after receiving a canned email containing only a user agreement and nothing else of information or note. This company then again charged my bank card for an additional month of service which has not been received. I have spent the last 8 days calling and leaving voice mail (it is impossible to talk to ANYONE live at this company) opening and updating tickets on their website under billing and tech support and sending emails to billing and tech support daily. I have no access STILL to my email business or personal. No response from this company except again another user agreement with no additional information or explanations provided. I need documents that are sitting in this email for tax purposes as well as for outstanding orders (from my business website) that need to be fulfilled. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY FOR ANY REASON. I have filed a complaint with the BBB about this company and their abhorrent service.

L. Redd

Comments:

ISP123

@grouptelecom.net

ISP Email

For future use never use any ISP email be it shaw, telus or bell use Gmail or Gmail apps or exchange for business this way you always have it
moredd

join:2012-11-08
Saint Paul, MN

Follow up - HORRIBLE ISSUES CONT.

They now claim they disconnected my service on Nov 1st, 2012 for "introducing a virus" into their servers that was causing spam to be sent under my name from their servers. This is not true as I received no bounces, or anything of the like that would have happened if my email was being used as a spam address, also had my computer checked by both multiple programs for malware, information gathering software, and viruses as well as taking it in to a professional who stated that my computer was 100% clean. I also know enough not to open the scam emails that want personal information and never to open an attachment from an unknown source or one that I am not expecting.
Peak to peak has continued to charge me and not provide service and now has been spamming me almost daily with a UA agreement as well.
Via email - I was called stupid and told that firewalls only block ports lol...when I suggested they should use a firewall and other security measures if they wanted to avoid being hacked or have issues with unwanted intrusions into their servers in the future. (I did NOT hack them or give my log in info to anyone).

BEWARE THIS COMPANY IS HORRIBLE AND THEY ARE STILL CHARGING MY CREDIT CARD. (I will be going to my bank to have the charges reversed and have their ability to charge me blocked in the morning)

Review by bjowens See Profile

• Location: Colorado Springs,El Paso,CO
  • CLEC party: Qwest
Good "No good points that I can think of"
Bad "They suck from top to bottom and end to end; 100% crap"
Overall "No service ethics, completely inept technical support"

Only God and your undying patience will get you through a technical issue with Peak to Peak phone support. My issues started with them right from the beginning and never stopped. Finally out of pure frustration I cancelled them after only one month.

Upon getting DSL service in July 2003 I specified I wanted a static address. When I received my network settings from them I was given an IP address and subnet mask that were incompatible. Directly from their instructions:

Step 5. Click on the IP Tab. Please Enter the IP address 199.165.157.91 and subnet mask 255.255.255.252

When I discovered this and called them, their tech support argued that their settings were correct until I proved to them otherwise. Only then did he escalate the issue to get it fixed. It took 3-4 business days and a weekend to get this worked out.

When setting up the service about the only thing they got right was the billing address. I never got the static IP address I was paying for. Finally my service went down completely. I called them up and they immediately started denying the problem was theirs (even though my traceroutes were dying in their network) and refused to listen to any information I had about the issue. Realizing I was getting nowhere I asked to talk to their supervisor who was even less receptive than the tech support person. I finally cancelled my service with them and would advise anyone considering using them to think twice. I am going back to my previous ISP (datawest.net).

I have been doing computer work for almost 25 years and seemingly without fail know more about the technical issues I am calling about than the so-called experts trying to help. The cocksure attitude of the tech support at Peak to Peak is a sign of limited experience. If you like to diagnose your ISPs issues using your time and your computer because your ISP lacks the experience to understand they could be wrong, then Peak to Peak is a good ISP for you. They will only admit a mistake if you are able to prove beyond any doubt that the fault is theirs. I might add that you can only make your case after diagnosing their network with your PC. They will not listen until then.

From A-Z, Peak to Peak is that crappiest ISP I have ever had. I was even forewarned on this very site that Peak to Peak was capable of this type of service. I should have listened, and so should you!

Other stuff:

Upload/Download speed: OK but less than advertised (my Qwest line is rated for 1 Megabit so I doubt it is a line issue)

Ping Times: Pretty bad (I don’t have stats but hitting my website from the Internet always had a severe lag time for everyone)

Uptime: Mediocre at best (I was down constantly and never received warnings for outages)

Phone support: Tech support is the absolute worst. Sales were polite but nothing I ever heard from them turned out to be true.

Comments:

Review by tvilot See Profile

• Location: Boulder,Boulder,CO
  • CLEC party: Qwest
Good "Nice and competent pre-sales"
Bad "Pathetic customer service"
Overall "Abandon all hope ye who enter here..."

I tried Peak to Peak, but it was a pointless waste of time. They never emailed me the instructions for setting up the DSL modem (I had to get that from another customer since requesting it from Peak to Peak was futile).

Their subsequent technical support was pretty much non existent.

I made repeated attempts to close the account, most of which were simply ignored. When someone finally replied, they were infantile and abusive. I therefore responded in kind.

Avoid these people. I don't know what kind of business they're trying to run, but "customer service" from them is much in line with George Carlin's definition.

--------------------------

"Whover coined the term 'customer service' was probably bleeding from the a**hole."
--George Carlin

Comments:

Review by arcie See Profile

• Location: Boulder,Boulder,CO
  • CLEC party: Qwest
Good "Fairly solid; good and detailed info on how to set up the DSL modem"
Bad "Vindictive, nasty, uneven support"
Overall "Unbelievably childish people make this place a MUST to avoid!"

Config: Windows; residential; "640" down and "256" up; always on; fans out to two main computers via LAN.

When I heard Qwest was selling its ISP accounts to MSN, I bailed in a hurry. Unfortunately, I chose Peak-to-Peak. On the positive side, they have very good prewritten details on how to program the DSL modem (Cisco 675 in my case), and installation was reasonably pain-free, considering the Qwest environment. In the several months I was with them, there were few outages, and those that happened were reasonably short. More frequent were SMTP mail server problems; I might not be able to send mail for an hour using their servers (my default), so I would have to use my own site's SMTP server (not default, since it always took longer) just to get mail out.

Suddenly service was disconnected. We called P2P to find out why, and were told it was because we hadn't paid our bill. We pointed out that we were on credit card billing, so why didn't they charge the card? The billing rep ADMITTED that the credit card number had been entered in their system, yet they hadn't set it up right to actually charge the card. They told us it would be HOURS before they would allow us back online. WHY? It's THEIR mistake! We called back to see if we could get them to go faster and got the same rep. He was abusive and nasty, and no matter how we explained that we HAD attempted to pay, he acted like we were trying to cheat them somehow, and said there was no way to speed up the reconnection process. We called back a third time and finally got someone with a brain who said there was no reason for us to wait hours, and he hit a few keys and put us back online while we were on the phone!

But what really cinched it was when a friend needed DSL and asked me who I was with. Service was stable at the time, so I told him about Peak-to-Peak. He signed up, but was not able to get his service up and running; P2P insisted it was his problem, not theirs, even though he followed their directions precisely. Just as other reviewers have noted, they became very argumentative with him. The clincher in this case was that they then BLOCKED *all* their customers from sending e-mail to my friend, including me (even though they had no idea I was involved at all). When I asked why, they sent me a copy of an e-mail that my friend had written them in complete frustration where he berated them. (Yes, sent me a copy of a private e-mail!) They said that such wasn't nice, so they were blocking him.

THAT is their response to a support problem? Block you, deactivate your account, CENSOR your e-mails, threaten to report you to the police for telephone harassment? Because you simply want the service you're PAYING FOR?! That's not running a business, that's acting like spoiled children.

I ran like hell, and so should you. I switched today to 4dv.net, and will write a review of that service as soon as DSLreports includes them on the ISP list so I can!

* * * * *

3/8/02 addition: Chris at P2P called today, upset at the above review which, he said, contained "several factual inaccuracies".

Chris complained that I had not called P2P to report SMTP outages. Fair enough: I hadn't. That doesn't make the problem "factually inaccurate". He insisted that it was a problem on my end. Like what? Very clearly it's a NAT translation problem in my router that I'm using to network the DSL to multiple computers. Problem is, I don't have a NAT translation router; I'm using a simple $19 4-port hub for that. He also said that NO ONE else had any such problem with the SMTP server. Really? No one has EVER complained in the last several months about SMTP problems? Unlikely, but maybe so -- though I doubt many wait on hold to complain to their ISP when the problems they see have cleared up.

In fact, he went on to say, we had only called in *once* about anything at all (when they disconnected us for non-payment -- more on THAT below). I said that's not at all true, and related several other instances. Ah, he explained: that's because if a problem is cleared up immediately when the customer is on the phone, a trouble ticket isn't created. Sounds reasonable, but perhaps when there's an intermittent SMTP problem and the customer calls to complain, and the tech checks it and it's working -- that call wouldn't be entered into the log, right? Right, he admitted. Ah, so there could have been MANY complaints about mail problems. This problem is sounding less "factually inaccurate" every second.

He kept coming around again and again to the problem that we had not been paying our bill. We pay every bill we get, and have never, ever received a bill from them. We pointed out again that (as mentioned above) they accepted our credit card for automatic payment and, again, they admitted they hadn't even tried to charge it by the time they cut off our service. He claimed that since then, they had tried to charge the card, but that it did not go through. Funny: we haven't hard a problem with that card with anyone else, but sure: things happen. So why didn't they call us to get a different card? Obviously they have our number! No explanation. Why didn't they send another bill? They said they had, claiming it was sent by both snailmail and e-mail. We never got them. His claim: there must be something wrong with our incoming mail and snail mail.

We get hundreds of e-mails per day, but not theirs. We get a large volume of snail mail, but not theirs. We use our credit cards all the time without incident, but they have a problem with them (including, as they admitted, forgetting to try charging it). What is the logical conclusion? Is the problem at our end or theirs? "We don't have control over the post office" was the reply, and he said he would send the final bill by certified mail. I confirmed that the address he had was correct. The bill, of course, will be paid immediately -- if they manage to deliver it.

He defended their practice of telling frustrated callers not to call ever again or they would be reported as harassers (see other reviews). "Telephone harassment is against state law," he says, and should they accept being the victims of a crime? I said that when people have paid for a service, are not getting it, and are getting the runaround, they can get quite frustrated. As someone who has witnessed it first hand, I can believe that several of their customers have become very upset. But to treat customers like that is wrong, I said. But they *aren't* customers, he responded, since if the customer gets too upset P2P cancels their service on the spot ("that OTHER guy who wrote a review cursed at our CEO! He used swear words!") So how can they expect to get customer service when they're not customers? Nice logic: they'll be happy to help customers with problems, but if the customer gets upset then POOF -- they're no longer a customer, and the problem solved!! Is that what you really want from *your* ISP?!

He does have a point about people violating the law in their dealings with them. He's being fairly anal about it, but if that's the way they want to do business, that's their choice -- and it's YOUR choice as to whether you want to deal with such people. So how, exactly, do THEY follow the law? Remember above: I said that when we complained about the e-mail block of my friend, they sent a copy of his e-mail to us to justify their action. Copying private e-mail to a third party is a violation of federal law, title 18 -- copyright. (Sure it's anal! If they want to be, why not the rest of us?) When you send a complaint written in sheer angry frustration to your ISP, do you really want them sending copies to other customers? He said that the total block of my friend was a total mistake ("mistakes happen"), that they only meant to block incoming mail to support from him, and that when we complained about it they removed it. I pointed out that when they removed the block they said they would put it back if there were any more problems. How, then, is that a "mistake"?

After this discussion, we called P2P's billing department to give them a different credit card and settle the account. They said that we "agreed to pay within one week of receiving the invoice in the mail" (true) and therefore they REFUSED PAYMENT OVER THE TELEPHONE. They complain we won't pay, but they continually fail to even TRY to process our payments. Again, on which end is the problem?!

Last, we're now getting e-mails from them saying THIS part of the review is "inaccurate" too. NOTICE TO P2P: continued e-mailing is harassment. Stop it now. If you want to reply to this review, use the procedure provided by this forum.

Read the other reviews. Notice the patterns. And only then make a careful choice of who you want as your ISP. There's nothing "factually incorrect" about that advice!

Comments:

Review by sales

• Location: Denver,Denver,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Seemed interested in my business but couldn't get it to work"
Bad "cut me off with no chance to change service"
Overall "don't even think about Peak to Peak, they drop you like a hot potato if there's problems"

I was not happy that I could not use Netscape or my domain name
e-mail with MSN so ... I had to find someone else. I, unfortunately,
chose Peak 2 Peak.
After many hours on the phone over two days they could not get my
incoming e-mail to work. The employee (4th or 5th) I ended up with
insisted that it was MY problem, not theirs, and disconnected my
service 5 minutes after hanging up on me. He also told me that if I
called back he would report me for telephone harassment. I called the
next day and was told that I was "blacklisted" and that my account was
"locked" and instructed employees not to talk to me. The one who
answered the phone refused to let me talk to a supervisor or provide
me with contact information for a supervisor. I wrote a letter to the
company's POBox, but it has not been responded to in over a month.
The bottom line is that, after several days without Internet or
e-mail, when I got Qwest to "point" me to another ISP, I got a flood
of e-mail as soon as I logged on. The other problems I had with Peak
2 peak also, miraculously, didn't exist with my new ISP -
Interfold.
David Cerullo, Inter-West Consult
(303) 698-9592
Please visit: »www.idromdenver.com/
david.cerullo@lycos.com

(review was emailed from domain idromdenver.com)

Comments:

Review by sales

• Location: Denver,Denver,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Bad "Refused to help even though it was THEIR problem"
Overall "disconnected me - what power !!!"

> Hi Everyone,
> Peak to Peak Internet.

> They lied to me, refused to help get my "bugs" worked out,
> disconnected my service, told me they would report me to the phone
> company if I called them again and then refused to let me talk to a supervisor
or to give me any contact info for management.

> I joined the "migration" fromQwest to MSN for my DSL service. Long story short: I could not use
Netscape or my domain e-mail > with MSN so I called about 8 local DSL providers. Based upon
assurances by a "representative" that I could Netscape and my own e-mail, I
> opened an account with P to P and on Monday the 14th Qwest changed me over.

> It only took a few minutes to get back on line but I was having
> trouble with my browser and was not receiving any incoming e-mail.
> Two different P to P employees tried to help and I e-mailed the rep. We
> made no progress and the rep immediately took the position that it must
> be a problem with the host of the incoming mail server. On Tuesday
> morning I went through it with the host of mail.idromdenver.com and we
> could find nothing. I wasted the rest of the day Tuesday with a
> couple more P to P employees who couldn't figure out the
> problem but stated that they thought it was a routing problem from
> their end.
> I had been told that some changes would be made and that I should
> call back.
> I called back at 5:30pm Tuesday and got my rep. The rep told me that it
> was NOT their problem and I shouldn't bother him with it anymore. He
> told me that they had given me all the help I was going to get and
> that I would have to get someone else to fix the problem. The rep was
> sarcastic and antagonistic. I asked him why he didn't just help me
> instead of being a jerk. He then told me that if I called back he
> would report me to the phone company and he canceled my account.
> I was completely out of service for several days. I called again the
> next morning and another rep in the office told me that there was a note on
> my account not to talk to me. The new rep refused to allow me to speak to a
supervisor or to provide me with contact information.
> I can understand that there are often problems with Internet
> service. I think that P to P should have either helped me through
> them or told me just to find someone else. Disconnecting me from the
> Internet - holding my service "hostage" - is an inappropriate reaction
> to Peak to Peak's own failures. This original rep I worked with just got pissed off
> and disconnected me without a chance to replace the service in a civil
> way. I am ill and work from home - I rely on e-mail. The rep knew this but
disconnected me within 5 minutes of hanging up on me.

> Be Warned !!! The "funny" thing is I got my new ISP and as soon
> as I connected I got a flood of e-mail and my Netscape is working
> fine. So ... it was Peak to Peak after all !!!
> David Cerullo, Inter-West Consult
> Please visit: »www.idromdenver.com/

(review was emailed from domain idromdenver.com)