Cavalier Telephone page on DSLReports

• Location: Buffalo,Erie,NY
  • Telco party Cavalier

I am in Buffalo, NY. I get internet and unlimited phone(USA) at the senior rate of $65. The internet is mostly very good. Sometimes it acts up. When I call the techies are usually in virginia or Florida and they are very nice. Sometimes it is a few days until internet service can be restored correctly. The Phone always works fine. Unfortunately, last year they decided to stop enrolling new subscribers in NY.

(review was emailed from domain cavtel.net)

Comments:

Review by unc0nnected See Profile

• Location: Baltimore,Baltimore City,MD
Good "Somewhat decent speeds"
Bad "Internet sometimes goes offline 5-10 times an hour"

The most unreliable internet I have ever experienced.. Not sure if it is on their end at the datacenter or if it is a problem with the router but if I am doing heavy uploading the net will die every couple of minutes, if I'm doing nothing usually it's 5-6 times a day, every day. We are desperately trying to get a new ISP here as this is a nightmare

• Location: Farmington,Oakland,MI
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Customer service is horrible! Automatic billing is a joke."
Overall "Enrolled in automatic billing and still got late fees."

This company is HORRIBLE. I had them for a year with automated payments. They only withdrew from my checking account every other month and constant charged me late fees for their issues. I switched providers in July and found out in August I was still getting a bill is I called and re-cancelled my account. In October I got another bill!! So I called again to get them to remove the charges from my account and they told me that they had charged my checking account hat day! Bull! I never got a call when they couldn't charge my checking account, which is also bull because my account always has money.

NEVER EVER use this company!

Sent from my iPad

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

• Location: Atlantic City,Atlantic,NJ
Good "Worked fine"
Bad "Cost too much due to hidden fees, refused to refund prepaid fees when cancelled"
Overall "Avoid at all costs!"

Refused to refund prepaid fees when I cancelled my service. Claimed they
don't refund fees. When I showed them that they had refunded 3 other
prepaid fees, they simply said, "We're not going to give you any money."
They also had the nerve to charge me late fees and interest on the fees I
didn't owe!

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by lsiden See Profile

• Location: Ann Arbor,Washtenaw,MI
  • Telco party Cavalier
Good "speed, courteous support reps"
Bad "frequent outages and no customer notification of problem"
Overall "see if there's someone better"

I started with Cavtel, now Windstream. In past two weeks there have been all-day outages. Cavtel/Windstream does nothing to communicate this via their websites nor Twitter accounts (@cavtel, @windstream) that they are aware of problem, working on it, and when they expect to restore service. You have to keep calling their support number to wait to speak to someone and find out or try resetting your modem. Don't forget to wait for 2 min before turning it back on and another 3-4 minutes for it to come back up in order to find out if service is restored.

After calling to complain, they credited my account with $3.60, which I won't see for another month or two. That's it!

Customer reps are always courteous and my speed seems to be consistent at ~2.5Mbps, but reliability and customer communication are severely lacking.

I called AT&T and their rep won't give me an estimate for when they will send someone to give me new service. They said I have to disconnect from my current ISP first and be without internet until they send someone but won't tell me when.

The IPS's and telecoms have us all over a barrel and they know it. I think de-regulation has made it much worse.

Comments:

Review by clewis See Profile

• Location: Cleveland,Cuyahoga,OH
  • Telco party Cavalier
Good "Price is better than AT&T"
Bad "Internet speed much lower than advertised"
Overall "Not bad for the price, but could be better"

Update: I would still like to have faster Internet speed--I can't seem to get above 2500. A support technician made some kind of change and said the speed I was getting wasn't bad, but 31% of the advertised speed doesn't seem that good to me. Still, it is fast enough for streaming video, so I am not complaining too much.

The only real unsolved problem is that I don't have a message-waiting indicator for voice mail on the phone--either the flashing indicator or a stutter tone when dialing out. I was critical of tech support at first, but they really have done their best to help solve the problem. We have pretty thoroughly established that the problem is not in their home office, so they are sending a line technician to troubleshoot it. I have done everything possible to rule out my equipment and wiring as the cause, so it has to be at some point in between. My only real complaint about the support is that the company has no way to contact support people directly. Every time I have to call back to tell them the fix they tried didn't work, I have to get back in the queue and wait two hours or more to get through. At least they give me the option to get a call-back so that I don't have to wait on hold the whole time.

=============================================================

Previous posting (edited)

Cavalier is the only real alternative to AT&T where I live. (I tried Time Warner a little over a year ago and speeds were horrible--great early in the morning but down to about 250 kbps by mid-afternoon.) I signed up because I get a lot of phone features for a lower price than I had on basic phone and Internet service from AT&T. Advertised Internet speed was up to 8000 kbps, but speed tests so far have not been able to get above 2500. Usable, but not great.

Now for the bad part. There is hardly any documentation for the Internet. The installation instructions said to register at their web site, where I was prompted for my modem's serial number. I got an error message that the serial number was unrecognized. (To be fair, I did have full Internet access even without registration.) After several days and multiple calls to tech support, the serial number was still unrecognized. Eventually they told me it didn't really make much difference if I registered, but then I had to ask them how to set up an e-mail account and how to log in to the router to enable wireless security.

The router was sent with the firewall disabled, and the documentation (which I had to look up on the manufacturer's site) said that I have to log in as an administrator to enable it. But they have set the administrator password so that I can't do that. One support person told me the router had no firewall; another one said the firewall was not what I thought it was--what does he think I think it is?-- and it was unnecessary. Maybe not, but the router didn't score very well on the Shields Up test.

member for 3 years, 3 visits, last login: 3 years ago

Comments:

Review by Landin_CH See Profile

• Location: Fredericksburg,Spotsylvania,VA
  • Telco party Cavalier
Good "Fastest broadband ISP in my area ... bar none."
Bad "Takes long time to get ahold of Tech Support or Help Desk"
Overall "Faster than other providers ... glad I have it."

Didn't have too many HSI choices. CavTel.Net advertises speeds up to fifteen megs (»www.cavtel.com/forhome/web_highspeed.php) but I actually get 4-6 megs most times. [SpeakEasy: Download Speed: 5098 kbps (637.3 KB/sec transfer rate) Upload Speed: 615 kbps (76.9 KB/sec transfer rate) History at »/testhistory/765541/b9503 and »/archive/cavte···zip=224] CavTel.Net has some packet losses en route, but can't get them to take a look at the IPs I give them as problematic hops. Doesn't affect my surfing or downloading, seems like. My CO/DCO is 7500 feet away so I should be getting more like 6-8 megs, according to some ... although Verizon tech is amazed at my 4-6 megs "since I'm not on FIOS." Anyway, besides a few line cuts by contractors or construction crews, have been up the vast majority of the time. Average pings inside CavTel.Net seems to be under 50ms compared to external times. (Don't pretend to understand their routing, though; hop selections just plain weird.) Ordered service via their web site and got the self-install kit with intro letter about a week later. I connected their Paradyne ADSL modem to my phone line, connected a spare computer and spare phone to the modem, and just waited. The modem sync'ed one overnight and I was online. After a week or so without going down, I cancelled Adelphia.Net by returning their cable modem. Recently, I switched to a Zoom ADSL modem I bought myself but it did not improve my line speeds much, although it can do wireless access and just has more options. Can't say much about their help desk/tech support, though. Long wait times, both dial-in and on-line. Best to first try everything yourself. If you need lineman to come to your house, most times local telco tech or contractor will show up - not CavTel. Bottom line is that I'm happy with what I have since »Company entry - Cavalier Telephone cites 256-960K - and the modem was included free of charge. Package cost: $68.73 - unlimited phone service (24.95), ADSL (25.00), fees and taxes.

---

Update: CavTel download speed claim scaled down to "up to 8 megs" on their web, but didn't change my speeds any. Guess too many people couldn't get up that high ... Still glad I have it, though.

---

04 Jun 2011 Update: Although provisioned at 15 megs per CavTel.Net Tech Support, line speed has settled in the 7-8 megs range no matter with which system I test (Desktop, Laptop or iPad), wired or wireless. Still glad I have CavTel.Net, though.

member for 11.4 years, 1046 visits, last login: 1.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by thbarnes See Profile

• Location: Baltimore,Baltimore City,MD
Good "Remove Me"
Bad "Remove Me"

Remove Me

Comments:

Review by rossman See Profile

• Location: Slidell,Saint Tammany,LA
Good "Smaller company, American english speaking staff."
Bad "Still have to use the Bellsouth/ATT line"
Overall "Product is sub-standard, Service is horrible"

Product T1:

I talked with these guys and covad for more than a week and could not (in good conscience) go with covad. I tried covad for dsl several years ago and they never got it installed correctly and their price for a T1 ($459) was $150/mo more than Cavalier ($306). Plus covad wanted me to supply PBX equipment while Cavalier supplied all Adtran TSU router with 4 phone outputs and even a UPS! So I chose Cavalier. From what I understand it is a more solid technology taking a 64k channel from the T1 when a phone is lifted and returning it when hung up.

I am very happy that I did, as they are still small enough to have only skilled and knowledgeable employees. Soooo much better than Bellsouth/ATT and the Cablevision!!! (don't you hate the outsourced support too)

After I finally chose the package I wanted and signed the contract, they got started right away. They sent a guy out for a site survey one day, a bellsouth guy came out to drop a line another day, and then the equipment install and line test another day, all before transitioning my phone numbers.

They did run into some problems (of course) with test signals getting looped back to them through bellsouth's line which set us back about a week. After 2 more visits from bellsouth and cavalier it was all working.

On activation day, the visit from the Cavalier Tech was actually quite short as it all worked right out of the box. It's a shame 'cause he was way easier to talk to than anyone form Charter Cablevision.

Needless to say, "I have to recommend a T1." It is actually cheaper than my Red Bull habit. And sooo much more stable than any other option. I have been using broadband since Feb '99. We have tried ADSL, SDSL, dual DSL's (with a xincom dual wan router) cablevision and a "wireless T." This is the best product and the best company we have tried (God please help them keep the quality of service high) update -- rats (

Cavalier A++ update=B+ update=C+

UPDATE:
Price:
The price quoted and the price billed are 2 completely different thing. I was quoted $296 but am routinely billed $450

Line quality:
The upload speed is typically 1.54m and I am very satisfied. I am able to serve up about 10g per day. The download speed is typically 500k~700k and noticebly slow. It gets worse every time it rains.

The line goes out too often to count or track. The AT&T lineman who repair the line say "If I want a better line that I should sell my house and move, because they have no intention of fixing or replacing our 40+ year old trunk."

Cavtel Support Incedent: I was disappointed (like numerous Cavalier reviewers here) that everything is super until support is needed. I was pleased that there was a separate line/menu for T1 customers to get phone support but it didn't seem to make any difference they fiddled around and blamed their cell phone coverage for not being able to dispatch a tech. It broke down early on friday but I had to wait until monday to get a Cavalier tech to tell me it was Bellsouth's line. Within hours Bellsouth fixed it and we were back in business. Alas! If bellsouth only supported their own customers like that I would still be a loyal bellsouth patron.

Update:
One of the only things that made the CavTel service tolerable was the ability to get into billing and support thru a separate phone number for business T1 customers. That is now gone, even worse than outsourced support is the support_yourself_via_voice_recognition. I pay a premium for this service; my time is valuable; yet when it doesn't understand me it HANGS UP ON ME.

Update:
I have reached my 3 year commitment and am being asked to renew. The CavTel sales person has offered me a price that is lower than what I am now paying but on closer examination it is higher than my original quote and (like the original price) is missing over $100 per month in hidden fees. They just lied to me again! I have now moved over to cable w/voip. I will not do business with the horrible business tactics of CavTel Cavalier or Network Telephone.

If they had been honest with me about the price I would have gone with the covad product in the first place.

Summary:
Cavalier (should be shut down and their lines remain dark for 1000 years)

Comments:

Review by cuda74360 See Profile

• Location: Halethorpe,Baltimore,MD
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Fast (10 Mb down, 860k up @ 8,250 feet)"
Bad "taxes and fees make bill 50% higher than advertised"
Overall "faster than Verizon's fastest DSL bundle"

UPDATE 08/09/10

I ordered Verizon FIOS today.

It's not that Cavalier isn't working.... it works well. It's that I can get FIOS, with 5x the upload speed, for the same price after taxes/fees.

UPDATE 05/19/10

Still working good.

UPDATE 01/29/10

Cavalier is supposedly simplifying and reducing their fees, but my bill has gone up by almost $2 again. Between taxes and fees, my bill is now almost 50% higher than the quoted $50 cost of my package.

Fastest speed test yet!

»www.speedtest.net/result/699211307.png

UPDATE 11/08/09

Cavalier added some new fees, so my total bill is now $72, but the service has been rock-solid since my last review.

»www.speedtest.net/result/616267140.png

UPDATE 03/08/09

Speeds seem to have returned to normal. I ran another line test, and it looks like I've been re-routed through their Washington, DC servers.

»www.speedtest.net/result/424541519.png

While latency is a little on the high side, I am getting great throughput, and I think I'm going to stick with them for now. If the network goes haywire again, I have direct contact numbers for both an engineer and a provisioning tech.

Their phone tech support is hit or miss... sometimes you get a good tech, but most times you don't. When I called about my slow speeds, their only "fix" is to lower my modem sync speed, for "stability". When that doesn't work, they blame overall internet congestion, the problems between Sprint and Cogent, and everything else under the sun (except their network).

If they do send a tech out, don't expect him/her to do anything but verify that your ready light is on, and call the office to "lower your speed for stability" (even if it's working perfectly while he is there.)

All in all, though, I get phone service (unlimited local and long distance + all features), and DSL that gives me almost 9Mbps download speeds. And my bill for all of this is $70, taxes included.

I don't know of any other company that would give you this much for that price. (For comparison, Verizon wants to give me similar service, but with less calling features and only 5MB DSL, for $80 BEFORE taxes. They also say that my line doesn't qualify for 7.1 DSL.)

UPDATE 03/05/09

I received a call from a Cavtel engineer yesterday. Apparently, one of my many complaints made its way up to him. He informed me that they had been having a problem with one of their Baltimore area routers. They had to replace a bad card during the time I first started having problems, which only fixed the problem for a couple of months. Now they have replaced the router, and he was calling me personally to see if the issue was fixed on my end.

I explained to him that my connection has been stable, but that the phone techs had lowered my speed to try and fix the problem, and that none of them knew how to put me back to the speeds I had originally. He asked for my email address, so that he could cc me on an email he was sending to the provisioning dept.

I never received an email, but did receive a conference call from the engineer and the provisioning tech later that day. I explained again what had happened, and he tweaked the DSLAM while he was one the phone with me. His first attempt lowered my speed to around 1800kbps, so he put me on hold. When he came back, he asked me to run another speed test, and I was back to 8867kbps down and 864kbps up (using Speakeasy's speed test.) He then gave me his phone number, and said that I could call him directly anytime if I have problems.

After I got off the phone with them, I logged into the modem interface, and my modem is again syncing at 10137 down and 1021 up, using fastpath, with no errors.

It looks like I may be cancelling my Verizon order....

UPDATE 02/23/09

I experienced slow night-time connections again last week, and used the online chat service to try and resolve the issue (my connection to Cavalier's servers was fine). The tech I talked to said that my line looks fine, and that I should be getting 6MB down all the time. I explained to him that I can connect at that speed only to Cavalier's servers and that my line tests (run from this site) is showing packet loss. His only response was to "lower my speed for stability", which I declined.

The problem seemed to resolve itself after a couple of days, but now I'm only getting 5832 down and 732 up.

Line stats are:

sync: 7107 / 883
margin: 11 / 14
line attenuation: 33 / 22
transfer mode: Fastpath

I have an order in for Verizon to install voice/DSL on the 2nd jack on my NID, so I can evaluate their service and compare it to my current one. They say that I qualify for their 5M/7.1M service, and with the line stats I'm showing, I'm hoping it ends up at 7.1M.

UPDATE 11/15/08

Still going strong, with speed tests showing 6,450K down and 800K up, 24x7.

UPDATE 11/12/08

My wife started complaining about it taking a long time to upload photos, so I called Cavtel and asked to be put back on the "default" profile, as the field tech called it. The tech said that he did so, and that my modem should be resetting. My modem never reset, and my speeds never changed. I think he was probably logged into the wrong port. I thanked him for his time, and ended the call.

I then initiated a chat from support.cavtel.com, and got a different tech. She was able to put me back on the "default" profile and reset my modem. I am now on Fastpath again and the modem is syncing at 7365 down and 855 up with no errors. This is a far cry from the 10M down and 1M up that it was syncing at yesterday, but if it's stable I can live with it. Besides, I can't get faster DSL from anyone else. Keeping my fingers crossed....

UPDATE 11/11/08

Cavalier sent a tech out today to test my line. Of course, since tech was coming out, my internet was working better than it ever has (9Mb down and 900k up). He said that the modem was synced up at 10Mb down and 1Mb up with no errors. Someone must have fixed something somewhere. I was getting 300k downloads last night.

Since I had been having problems that he couldn't duplicate onsite, he called his office and asked them to give a different profile for "stability". The result is that my modem now syncs at 6MB down and 384k up, in interleaved mode (used to be fastpath.)

The tech said that I could call to have my profile put back, if my speeds stayed stable. I asked him if they had fixed a network problem and he didn't know. I may call them in a day or so to see if I can at least get my upload speeds back to what they used to be.

-------------------

We bought our house in 2006, and had Cavalier setup our home phone and DSL service. When the service was activated, I was blown away by the speed I was getting. I would get a consistent 8Mb down and 800k up, 24x7. This could be confirmed using any speed test on the web.

Within the last few months, though, the speed has dropped considerably. It still runs at 8Mb from 12AM - 6 AM, but then slows down to around 1.5Mb around 11AM to as slow as 500k around 5pm. I like to watch Sesame Street videos with my son on YouTube after work, and the connection is so slow the videos take up to 10 min to start.

I have tried calling Cavalier support, but they don't seem to know how to fix the problem. They want to send out a tech to check my jack, even though I told them that plugging the modem directly into the NID doesn't fix the issue.

I confirmed, via the modem's web interface, that it is syncing at 9Mb down and 1Mb up with no errors, but Cavalier's network just can't seem to deliver.