how-to block ads
1. First connect directly to your DSL modem without the router and verify that you can get on line.
2. Once you've verified that you can get onto the internet without the router please proceed. If you can not please contact your ISP for further assistance.
3. Now unplug the Ethernet cable that connects to your DSL modem from the back of your computer.
4. Take the connection that you just unplugged from the back of your computer and connect it to the WAN port of the router.
5. Take a different Ethernet cable and plug it into port closest to the WAN port, or into the LAN port.
6. Look on the front of the router. The following lights should be illuminated:
- WAN Link
- Link/Act (On the port that you connected your computer to)
- Note If other lights other than Link/Act are illuminated on this port, that is normal
- You may have a few other lights illuminated depending on the model number router you have, but the 3 above must be illuminated for proper connection.
7. Hold the Reset button on the router for 30 seconds or more
8. Restart your computer
Checking the MAC address of your Computer
Please follow these steps from the computer that was connected directly to the internet with out the router. If you do not, then you may not be able to connect to the internet properly.
A. Windows 9x/ME
B. Windows 2000/NT/XP
Configuring the Router
1. Go to your desktop and double click on Internet Explorer (Located on the Start Menu in Windows XP).
2. When "Internet Explorer" opens type »192.168.1.1 into the "Address" bar and click on Go.
3. The "Enter Network Password" window will appear.
4. Skip user name and type admin (admin is the default password) as the password, and click OK.
5. By default the router will be set to Obtain an IP Address Automatically.
6. Click on the Advanced tab.
7. Click on the Mac Addr. Clone.
8. When the page loads, input the Adapter/Physical Address you made earlier and input it into the proper fields.
9. Click Apply
Finishing the Setup
1. Shut down your PC.
2. Unplug the power from the back of the router.
3. Unplug the power from the modem.
4. Wait for 30 second.
5. Power up the modem.
6. Wait for the lights to stop blinking.
7. Power up the router.
8. Start up your computer.
9. Surf the internet.
Instructions taken from Linksys site
*Note: You will have to go into OCA and change your MAC address from your computer to your routers before you will be able to access the internet.
**Note: If you are still unable to get on to the internet please repeat from step 1
***Note: The same general rules apply to setting up any Brand of Router not just linksys.