how-to block ads
select the setting that provides the best picture quality for the format currently being broadcast.
There are three ways you can select picture formats for your HDTV. The Explorer HD Setup Wizard guides you through each one:
The Quick Setup method, which automatically selects a setting according to the screen type:
- For a standard-screen (4:3) HDTV, the Wizard selects 480i.
- For a wide-screen (16:9) HDTV, the Wizard selects 1080i.
The Standard Setup method, which selects the settings 480i and 1080i.
You can then toggle between these two settings while watching TV.
The Custom Setup method, which allows you to select any combination of
the following picture formats that the 8000HD supports:
- 480p (wide and standard)
- 480i (wide and standard)
- 720p (wide only)
- 1080i (wide only)
To start the Setup Wizard, follow these steps.
1. Make sure that the Explorer DVR is OFF and the HDTV is On.
2. On the Explorer DVR, press Guide and Info at the same time. The Output Selection screen appears.
3. On the remote control, press to select the HD output type. The Set TV Screen Type screen appears.
Note: The setup Wizard begins cycling when there is a delay in pressing . If the Setup Wizard begins cycling through all of the settings, wait for the Output Selection screen to display properly, and then press .
4. Press one of the following options to select a TV screen type:
If you have a standard-screen HDTV, press . The Set Picture Format screen appears.
If you have a wide-screen HDTV, press . The Set Picture Format screen appears.
5. Use one of the following methods to select a picture format setting:
To use a setting of 480i for a standard-screen HDTV and a setting of 1080i for a wide-screen HDTV, press to choose the Quick Setup method.
To be able to toggle between the 1080i and 480i settings while watching TV, press to choose the Standard Setup method. Press to close the Setup Wizard.
To select any combination of settings that the Explorer HD supports, press to choose the Custom Setup method, then follow the on-screen instructions.
Using Custom Setup to Select Picture Formats
The steps described here help you use the Custom Setup method to select any
combination of the picture format settings that the Explorer HD provides.
1. Press to acknowledge that the HDTV is in Normal display mode.
2. Press again to start the custom setup process, which allows you to test each setting, one at a time, and gives you the opportunity to select the settings that provide the best picture quality.
Note: After you select a setting to test, wait 5 seconds for the HDTV to apply
3. Follow the on-screen instructions to select settings that provide the best
4. Press . The End Setup screen displays and lists the settings you
5. To start watching TV, press , then power on the unit. While watching TV, you can change the Picture format to any of the settings you selected by pressing .
Note from jbickell : TimeWarner uses a different firmware than all other providers for the 8300 model (possibly others as well). As of August 2005 there is no "pass-through" options for 4:3 aspect ratio signals if you are using the 16:9 aspect ratio setup in this DVR (translation: you can't use your TV's advanced zoom or black sidebar mode). Workaround: Hookup the HDMI or component to one video input for your HD channels, and the SVideo to another video input for viewing all your SD channels.