|Home||Reviews||Tools||Forums||FAQs||Find Service||ISP News||Maps||About|
how-to block ads
Answer these "6" questions first, then answer any of the following questions that are specific to your issue:
1) Your location: City and State.
2) A description of the problem.
3) Is the issue intermittent, constant or does it occur at a specific time of day?
4) Your modem make, model & firmware version. How to find firmware version: Access modem
5) Describe any home networking if applicable. (i.e. routers, hubs, adapters, etc.)
6) List any firewall and/or anti-virus software you have installed. Include what version you have.
It is recommended you edit out any unique identifiers such as MAC address or IP address from the data, for your safety and security.
If you have an issue with slow or fluctuating speed:
• What HSI Tier you are subscribed to: (i.e. 6000/1000, 12000/2000, etc.)
• Post a Speed Test
• Post a Tweak Test (Not applicable for Windows OS newer than XP: i.e. "Vista" & Windows 7")
• Post what browser/browsers you are using while running a speed test.
If you have an issue with an intermittent connection or no connection:
• What indicator lights does the modem have and the current status of each. (i.e. constant or blinking)
• Post the modem's Signal Levels & Log Entries
• Give a description of the cable & splitters configuration in your home leading to the modem.
If you have issues with packet loss, latency, or routing:
• Post a trace route to the server you're having issues with. Use PingPlotter for the best results. Download here: PingPlotter
• Post the IP address of your default gateway. The gateway info can be found in the router info pages.
• To monitor an IP address for 24+ hours to detect packet loss and/or excessive latency variability from three different locations, use: Smokeping
• A simple line test can be used from the Tools page: Line Packet Loss Testing
If you have an issue with email:
• List the program name and version you are using for access.
• Post any error message that's displayed.
Do Not post your email address in this forum. Remove it from any error message you post.
For any other issues:
• Post any additional information that may help in resolving your issue.
If you are looking for official Comcast tech support, go to:
To start a new thread in the Comcast HSI forum: