The best configuration for networking an additional router with a BellSouth supplied 2Wire is to set the 2Wire to "Bridged" mode and allow the other router to do the authentication, routing, and DHCP functions. The 2Wire is also a router with full DHCP functions and may not function correctly when connected directly to another router. Not changing the modem to Bridged mode will result in double NAT'ing, increased latency, possible IP conflicts, or possibly a network that doesn't work at all. Step 1
Open a browser and enter 192.168.1.254/mdc
in the address field to access the 2Wire Management and Diagnostic Console Interface.
The links on the left side lead to the many pages of the Management and Diagnostic Console Interface. Step 2
• Under the Broadband Link section click on Configure
• Confirm that there is an 8
in the VPI box and 35
in the VCI box.
• Change the ATM PVC Search to Disable
• Change connection type to Direct IP
(DHCP or Static)
• Click Submit
. Step 3
• Under the Advanced section click on Configure Services. Step 4
• Remove the check mark from the Enable Routing checkbox.
• Click Submit.
The page below is the page where the access point can be disabled. It remains active when the modem is in bridge mode.
This page can only be accessed from the main GUI, using the icons at the top and the links just below.
Leaving the access point active provides an easy way to access the modem GUI.
When you have completed these steps, you should shut down (disconnect power) both the 2Wire modem and your router. Restart the modem and allow it to reboot fully. Note that in bridged mode, the Internet light will not
illuminate. When the modem is fully rebooted, restart your router.
Feedback received on this FAQ entry:
- Can the two devices (both of them 2wire 2701) be connected wirelessly? I was successful connecting them via ethernet but now wirelessly.
- I am unable to perform step 3, as I have a different interface. I do have this router 2701 HG-B. Please advise. I was able to perform the first 2 steps. There is no option for me to uncheck "enable routing".
- Step 3. Is VERY important. Note what the red text says in the image. If you plan to use an external router to create a LAN that is bridged to the 2Wire 2701HG-B make sure that the router's local IP address is set to the same sub-net as the modem, BUT do not use 192.168.1.0, 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254. In my case I simply used the example number 192.168.1.10 as indicated and everything started working fine for me.
- I am in Missouri and use AT&T as well. VPI is 0 here.
- I have to use 0 in VPI (step 2). I am located in California and using AT&T network. The VPI was 0 as default.
- Thanks wayjac, these instructions successfully bridged my 2wire 2701HG-B (22.214.171.124 firmware version) to my Apple Airport Extreme Base Station. My 1st attempt was unsuccessful because I used the wrong password for the PPOE setting of the Airport..make sure you use your AT&T "network password".
- Thank you!!! this was exactly what I needed, took me 2 hours to find, and very happy you posted it. the /mdc was the trick!
- Perfect!! Thank you very much for clear and easy instructions.
Paul in Atlanta
- Also please remind people to disable the wireless function as well while in the network summary (hit the "disable" button next to the wireless connection count).
2010-01-03 14:36:02 (jay_bob )
- Great aid helped me alot. I would just suggest people in there router making sure they have activated PPOE
by wayjac edited by FAQFixer
last modified: 2009-05-05 10:53:49