I have pinging enabled, or I have pinging enabled only for dslreports. Line quality tests ping OK but the Smokeping test fails. What is the IP address of the smokeping server?
• ny-monitor.dslreports.com - 22.214.171.124
• dslreports-west2.speakeasy.net - 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52
• dslreports2-west.megapath.net - 184.108.40.206
Recommend putting these into your rules by IP address.
Smokeping may do an initial reachability call-out from mail.dslreports.com (220.127.116.11) so it is also recommended to add a rule for that IP address.
Feedback received on this FAQ entry:
- The ip address listed for "ny-monitor.dslreports.com" (18.104.22.168) is unreachable. I did a lookup of "ny-monitor.dslreports.com" and received a different ip address (22.214.171.124). I saw no response to r0339's similar post. Is this FAQ wrong?
2014-07-21 19:05:28 (mallanlee )
- Smokeping is a great tool that is very useful. But I haven't had results from NY for many months. Perhaps the maintainers should just remove the NY configuration?
2012-12-27 20:18:07 (r0339 )
- The IP address for ny-monitor.dslreports.com is incorrect- 126.96.36.199
A ping to ny-monitor.dslreports.com returns u15150124.onlinehome-server.com (188.8.131.52)
It appears that smokeping is hardwired to 184.108.40.206, which is UNREACHABLE
$ ping 220.127.116.11
PING 18.104.22.168 (22.214.171.124) 56(84) bytes of data.
--- 126.96.36.199 ping statistics ---
36 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 35279ms
Please change smokeping so that the NYC location returns data, otherwise this tool has limited utility.