FIOS DHCP leases are MAC bound between the router and the ONT. When swapping routers, it is imperative to release your DHCP lease, otherwise, the new router may not be able to obtain a DHCP lease.
There are several ways to release your DHCP lease:
- Via router GUI. Verizon routers provide this function. Some, but not all, third party routers also provide this function.
- Power off router for two hours. Verizon's standard DHCP lease interval is 2 hours. When the existing DHCP lease has expired, the new router should be able to obtain a new DHCP lease.
- Clone the MAC address of the old router to the new router.
- Reboot the ONT.
- Call the FSC to break the existing lease.
To release DHCP lease on the Actiontec or Westell router:
|Actiontec MI424-WR||Westell 9100EM|
|1||Click on MY NETWORK icon at the top.||Click on MY NETWORK icon at the top.|
|2||Select NETWORK CONNECTIONS from the menu on the left.||Select NETWORK CONNECTIONS from the menu on the left.|
|3||Select BROADBAND CONNECTION (coax or ethernet) depending on your connection to the ONT.||Select BROADBAND CONNECTION (coax or ethernet) depending on your connection to the ONT.|
|4||Click SETTINGS||Select CONFIGURE CONNECTION|
|5||Click RELEASE||Click RELEASE|
|6||Click APPLY||Click OK|
|7||Disconnect the router immediately to prevent it from re-requesting a DHCP lease.||Disconnect the router immediately to prevent it from re-requesting a DHCP lease.|
Feedback received on this FAQ entry:
- Great link with all relevant information. It really helped me in cracking the problem. I have been struggling for swapping verizon provided router with my own router. Verizon customer care was hopeless in providing any service at all. This was very much helpful. Really appreciated.
- I was able to replace the Verizon router with my Time Capsule using these instructions. I am very, very pleased as I had quite a few custom settings in place that would have been time consuming if not impossible to replicate on the Actiontek. Also the Actiontek is not dual-band as are the newer Time Capsules.
The first time I tried this, I tried connecting the Time Capsule to the ONT a minute or so afterwards. It did not connect successfully. I then tried this again, and waited maybe a half hour. It then connected just fine when I powered it up.
- change step 7:
7 Power off / Disconnect the router immediately to prevent it from re-requesting a DHCP lease.
2013-02-02 20:21:24 (bt06437 )
by More Fiber
last modified: 2009-08-22 22:47:30