If you're planning on running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2, Clear's USB modem currently isn't compatible with these operating systems. Opt for the Home modem instead as they use standard Ethernet and are compatible with virtually every device and operating system.
Feedback received on this FAQ entry:
- Clear software 1.01.0054.0 will not work on Windows 7 64bit. Version WO.0094 MO.5063
does. If I download the latest drivers, will it corrupt my system? The support people at Clear are worthless, outsourced, morons. They told me there are no problems reported with the newest version!?!???
- I had no problem with my Clear USB modem under Windows 7, though I later dropped Win7 and went back to XP for overall performance reasons.
HOWEVER - Clear USB does NOT work with any major flavour of Linux. There's a few really kludgie workarounds floating around the net but, effectively, with Clear your Linux machine is an island unto itself.
2010-05-11 13:50:10 (smilstead )
- This is not correct. The USB modem works well with Windows 7 64 bit. I suspect that whoever contributed this FAQ did not download the correct driver from the Clear site.
- Clear now has a a driver that is Windows 7 compatible for it's USB modem. It can be downloaded from it's website. The USB program key that comes with the USB modem does not contain the new driver.
- the CLEAR USB modem does indeed work with windows 7. I have it installed on a 7 machine and it works just fine. You just need to install updated drivers that are compatible with windows 7. here is a link that you can use http://www.clear.com/support/windows-user
- As of October 21, 2009, Clear USB modem is certified to work with Clear using the latest Clear Connection Manager. It requires connection manager version 1.05.0019.0 or higher. You can download the latest version from Clear's support page.
2009-11-25 14:41:45 (w0g )
by w0g edited by Gomez
last modified: 2009-10-23 19:06:50