how-to block ads
| 1. Download GMER saving it to your desktop:Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
»www.gmer.net/ (This link will download a randomly named file *recommended*)
Note: If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode. If GMER crashes or keeps resulting in a BSODs, uncheck Devices on the right side before scanning
- Operating Systems: Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7 - 32bit & 64bit
- Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
- Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
- Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
- GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
- If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
- Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
- When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
- Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
- Exit GMER and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.
2. Download Root Repeal saving it to your desktop:
- Operating Systems: Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7 - 32bit only
- Extract RootRepeal.exe from the archive (If you did not use the "Direct Download" mirror).
- Open RootRepeal on your desktop.
- Click the 'Report' tab.
- Click the 'Scan' button.
- Check all seven boxes
- Push Ok
- Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
- Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
- Once the scan completes, push the 'Save Report' button.
- Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt.
- Include this report in your next reply
3. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool (previously Sophos Anti-rootkit) saving it to your desktop:
Note: If using the vendor's download site you will be asked to register with MySophos so an email containing an activation link can be sent to your email address.
- Operating System: Windows XP/2000/2003/Vista/2008/Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit)
- Be sure to print out and read the Sophos Anti-Rookit User Manual and Release Notes
- Double-click sar_15_sfx.exe to begin the installation, read the license agreement and click Accept.
- Allow the default location of C:\Program Files\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Rootkit and click Install.
- A message will appear "Sophos Anti-Rootkit was successfully installed. Click 'yes' to start it now".
- Click Yes and allow the driver and its randomly named .tmp file (i.e. F.tmp) to load if asked.
- If the scan did not start automatically, make sure the following are checked:
- Running processes
- Windows Registry
- Local Hard Drives
- Click Start scan.
- Sophos Anti-Rootkit will scan the selected areas and display any suspicious files in the upper panel.
- When the scan is complete, a pop-up screen will appear with "Rootkit Scan Results". Click OK to continue.
- Click on the suspicious file to display more information about it in the lower panel which also includes whether the item is recommended for removal.
- Files tagged as Removable: No are not marked for removal and cannot be removed.
- Files tagged as Removable: Yes (clean up recommended) are marked for removal by default.
- Files tagged as Removable: Yes (but clean up not recommended) are not marked for removal because Sophos did not recognize them. These files will require further investigation.
- Select only items recommended for removal, then click "Clean up checked items". You will be asked to confirm, click Yes.
- A pop up window will appear advising the cleanup will finish when you restart your computer. Click Restart Now.
- After reboot, a dialog box displays the files you selected for removal and the action taken.
- Click Empty list and then click Continue to re-scan your computer a second time to ensure everything was cleaned.
- When done, go to Start > Run and type or copy/paste: %temp%\sarscan.log
- This should open the log from the rootkit scan. Please post this log in your next reply. If you have a problem, you can find sarscan.log in C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp\.
Before performing an ARK scan it is recommended to do the following to ensure more accurate results and avoid common issues that may cause false detections.
- Disconnect from the Internet or physically unplug you Internet cable connection.
- Close all open programs, scheduling/updating tasks and background processes that might activate during the scan including the screensaver.
- Temporarily disable your anti-virus and real-time anti-spyware protection.
- After starting the scan, do not use the computer until the scan has completed.
- When finished, re-enable your anti-virus/anti-malware (or reboot) and then you can reconnect to the Internet.
4. Download TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool, saving it to your Desktop:
Operating System: Windows XP/2000/2003/Vista/2008/Windows 7/Windows 8 (32-bit, 64-bit)
Be sure to print out and follow all instructions for performing a scan or refer to these instructions with screenshots.
- The link and instructions for downloading an running TDSKiller can be found in '1. How to disinfect a compromised system'
Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
When the program opens, click the Start Scan button.
Do not use the computer during the scan
If an infected file is detected, the default action will be Cure, click on Continue
If a suspicious file is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.
If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
If no reboot is require, click on Report. A log file should appear. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.
If a reboot is required a log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.18.104.22.168_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.
-- If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it. To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to How to change the file extension.
last modified: 2013-06-29 10:02:45