how-to block ads
COST: $499 (Amazon)
Includes: Red Pentax K-x, Red 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 DAL lens (plastic mount, camera strap
Battery style: 4xAA
Data Connector: Mini-USB
Screen: 2.7" 230k pixels
Full specs here: »www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/page2.asp
This is my first DSLR (first SLR period). I have found this camera to be very good for taking just about any picture that I wanted. Coming from a P&S Fuji FinePix S3000, I was a little underwhelmed at the zoom (18-55mm kit lens). The kit lens and picture quality did blow away anything I ever had on the Fuji, and I could purchase a zoom lens (purchase Sigma 18-200mm). The main reasons that I purchased this camera over the competition (at the time - Canon Rebel XS, Nikon D3000 - same price) was the following:
- High speed multiple shot (4.7 frames/second) - this was my first reason on getting a DSLR. Canon and Nikon were ~2-3/second.
- Movie mode (XS and D3000 did not have these).
- AA batteries - this is/was a mixed bag - previous cameras all took AA batteries - I didn't want to haul a charger + special battery everywhere.
- Lenses (I was less concerned about) - K-x takes lenses going back to ancient screw mount (60's?). Also, the camera has the lens motor in the camera itself, making lenses less expensive (as well, optical stability is in the camera body)
- Color - A red SLR sticks out like a sore thumb. On my trip to Hawaii - I had MANY comments on it. Comes in up to 100 different colors.
- High speed
- Low cost (relatively)
- High ISO range (pictures good up to ISO 2400)
- Fast shutter + multiple shot (1/6000, 4.7 fps)
- AA battery
- Compact size (compared to other SLR/DSLRs)
- AA batteries drain quickly on live view/movie mode - recommend Lithium for those occasions (fixed in K-r)
- Autofocus hunts in dark areas
- Autofocus points are not in the viewfinder (live view only) (fixed in K-r)
K-x has now been replaced by K-r, which is physically the same size, but improves on K-x's features.