how-to block ads
- Can I run FAH at work as well as home?
- Can I run FAH without an internet connection?
- Can I run the FAH Client in DOS mode?
- Does the client send/receive work automatically?
- Where can I download the Folding@Home Client?
- What is Team Helix's Folding@Home team number?
- What are the current flags (-switches) and what do they do?
- What is the Machine ID# and what is its purpose?
- How do I block all traffic going through my firewall except for the F@H client?
- -config, -queueinfo, -delete, -send, -verbosity, -pause, WHAT?
- -forceasm, -pause, -advmethods, -service, -local, Huh?
- Can I fold on a dual processor machine?
- What is a CORE (Amber, Gromacs, DGromacs, Tinker)?
- Is there info on the types of F@H clients?
- How do I move a F@H client to a new PC
is the ability to transport a work unit from an Internet connected computer to a stand-alone computer for processing and back again to be transmitted!
|To do this type of operation you need to:|
•Have the console client setup (would not recommend using the graphical (GUI) client) on the Internet connected computer to receive the work unit.
•Shutdown the client once it has started processing a WU.
•Zip the "entire" FAH folder, on to a removable media (e.g. floppy).
•Un-zip it on the stand-alone machine and start it up for processing.
•Once the WU is complete, just reverse the process to transmit the completed WU and to receive a new one. Make sure it is put in it's original folder, just in case you have multiple clients!!
•Once the client is on both machines, there is no need to copy the "FAH2console.exe" and "Core_65.exe" back and forth each time! The critical files are the "queue.dat", "client.cfg", and the entire contents of the "work" folder.
You will need to change the "asknet=no" in the client.cfg to "asknet=yes"! To be safe, use the -config switch to accomplish it.
Please see the updates in the FAH Wiki before trying this ---> Sneakernetting.
by Gizmo edited by sortofageek
last modified: 2008-05-15 19:21:23