dslreports logo
    All FAQs Site FAQ DSL FAQ Cable Tech About DSL Distance DSL Hurdles »»


This Section
The "digital" part is actually done by a converter box. In order to recieve digital channels, you have to have this converter.

Any TV without the converter will just receive what they always have (regular analog TV).

Feedback received on this FAQ entry:
  • Should be noted that in some areas the cable companies are removing analog service completely. This means the home owner would need go get a digital adaptor from their cable service provider. These boxes need to be authorized in some cases and usually do not have the same features as standard digital terminals.

    2012-02-14 06:02:46 (J E F F See Profile)

  • I recently rx'ed the Motorola DCH70 STB in preparation for Comcast going "digital" in March in the SF Bay Area. I had analog service before but my HDTV was able to pick up both analog and digital signals (from major stations e.g. ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX)- which was much clearer than what I'm getting now w/ the STB. In researching the DCH on the Motorola web site it appears that it outputs only analog signals on chnls 3/4 - which means that I apparently have lost the ability to get the quality that I did w/o the STB on the major stations. Not to mention that with the current hookup that I cannot watch one station while recording on another w/ my VCR. Any thoughts whether the "quality" will improve in March when Comcast supposedly goes to all digital? I'm tempted to get a couple of coax A/B switches to bypass the STB when I want to watch the major channels or record on my VCR.

    2009-02-15 12:52:01

  • They are KNOWN as CableCards, not just often. Also, CableCards are not responsible for lack of bi-directional communication and related services. The host device (TV's built-in tuner, set-top box, etc.) is responsible for this capability. Currently, there are no two-way devices available via retail.

    2007-10-07 10:03:36 (defiant See Profile)

  • tvs now are coming out with "built in" digital tuners, but in order for the cable company to regulate what the tv can or can not tune in, there is a card that must be installed into the tv. these are often known as CABLEcards, and they are about the size of a long credit card. you can contact your provider to see if they are available. usually they are cheaper to rent then the converter box, but they are not two way (this means no program guide or pay per view via the remote)

    2007-09-22 03:12:31 (jpalen See Profile)

Expand got feedback?

by Raydr See Profile
last modified: 2002-03-15 09:13:13