Instructions for Microsoft Outlook Express for Windows (Version 5.0
1. Open Outlook Express
2. From the Main Menu, select "Tools", then "Accounts"
3. Select the "Mail" tab
4. Click ONCE on your Verizon Online e-mail account name to select
it. Select "Properties"
5. Select the "Servers" tab
6. Change the "Incoming mail (POP3)" server name from its current
entry to: incoming.verizon.net
7. Change the "Outgoing mail (SMTP)" server name to: outgoing.verizon.net
8. Check the box labeled "My server requires authentication"
9. Click "Settings"
10. Verify "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" is
selected. Click "OK"
11. Click "OK" in the "Properties" window
12. Click "Close" in the "Internet Accounts" window
13. Create and send a new message to your own e-mail address
Instructions for Netscape Messenger (Version 6.0):
1. Open your Netscape e-mail
2. From the Main Menu, select "Edit", then "Mail & Newsgroups Account
3. Select "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" from the list in the left pane
4. Change the outgoing mail "Server Name" to: outgoing.verizon.net
5. Select the "Use name and password" check box.
6. Enter your Verizon Online User ID in the "User Name" field. Note:
Enter your user name, not your e-mail alias.
7. Click "OK"
8. Create and send a new message to your own e-mail address. The
first time you send a message, Netscape prompts you for your
password. After entering your password, check the option "Use
Password Manager to remember this password" and send the message.
Once the first message is sent with this option selected, Netscape
will save the password and you will not be prompted to enter your
password to send subsequent messages.
At this time (08/09) Verizon supports POP3/SMTP on ports 110/25 only.
SSL encrypted ports are not available.Verizon email help
Feedback received on this FAQ entry:
- This document is very outdated. Verizon has changed ingoing and outgoing server names and ports: 995/465. Feel sorry for any new users trying to figure this out.
by kadar edited by More Fiber
last modified: 2009-08-05 21:41:35