how-to block ads
- WinMX Central - bookmark this page, it's updated regularly, has most all
the links on the homepage, as well as FAQs about problems getting up and
running (settings, firewalls, routers, ISP blocks, tips ...) with screen
shots. IRC info is here too:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.buchanan/ or http://on.to/dbr
A number of useful posts can be found here (sometimes more useful than the
newsgroups because the posts don't vanish):
Other sites that may be useful:
http://www.geocities.com/locojones2000/winmxfaq.html - describes how WinMX
works, what is going on when you use it, offers tips on related topics (like
how to get a good rip, how to make your movies play). Written for 2.6 but
still very useful.
http://audiofilez.tripod.com/ - one expert user's views on tools, etc
The current version is 3.3. All older versions are capable of using OpenNap
servers but ONLY 3.3 WILL CONNECT TO THE WinMX Peer Network (WPN).
WinMX works for most folks, most all the time, once they get it set up. If
it's not working for you, don't assume:
- it's been hacked by RIAA lackeys
- the network is down
- the program is crap and just doesn't work
Rather assume it's your setup (1st timers) or something you changed (prior
users), and try to root out the problem. You can get help here.
ASKING QUESTIONS HERE
If you are asking a question, be sure to tell about your situation:
- Are you sharing music or video or something else?
- What kind of connection do you have?
- What you are trying to do, and why, etc. (for example, are you
ripping your collection of 900 rare vinyl LPs or a popular CD)?
Where will you be listening to the music?
- If it's a tech question, your CPU, RAM, firewall/router setup,
OS and WinMX version
And if you get an answer, be sure to come back here and tell everyone what