Your RF550 Router should already be connected to your intranet and setup with the appropriate addressing scheme.
1. Private (local) address of RF550 is 192.168.1.254
2. The static (public) IP address range from SBC/Ameritech assigned to you would be: 22.214.171.124 - 126.96.36.199.
3. Private (local) addresses to be associated with static (public) addresses are 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.5. Note that any 5 private (local) addresses can be used and they do not need to be contiguous.
Using these assumptions will result in this configuration:
PUBLIC (external) ADDRESS -> PRIVATE (internal) ADDRESS
188.8.131.52 -> 192.168.1.1
184.108.40.206 -> 192.168.1.2
220.127.116.11 -> 192.168.1.3
18.104.22.168 -> 192.168.1.4
22.214.171.124 -> 192.168.1.5
RF550 Router public address: 126.96.36.199
RF550 Router private address: 192.168.1.254
1. Start up your favorite Web Browser (i.e. Internet Explorer, Netscape, etc. note: browser must support frames) and enter the private IP address of the Router: 192.168.1.254 and press ENTER. This should bring up the login screen. Enter the login and password to gain access to the router configuration screens.
2. Click on the "ADVANCED SETTINGS" button. It is located on the righthand side of the window.
3. Click on the "VIRTUAL SERVER SETTINGS" tab. It is located along the lefthand side of the window.
4. Click on the checkbox labeled "Port Range Mapping" to enable it. This should make the checkbox checked.
5. We will now add the address mappings. Click on the text box field labeled "External IP". Enter in the public address of 188.8.131.52.
6. Enter in the private address of 192.168.1.1 under the column "Internal IP".
7. Enter 1 for first text field under the textbox labeled "External Port Range".
8. Enter 65535 for the second text field under the textbox labeled "External Port Range".
9. Click the button labeled "add" along the bottom side of the screen.
10. Repeat steps 6 thru 9 for each static (external) IP.
11. Click the button labeled "submit" when finished inputting the ranges.
All PCs that are connected to the router with above private static IP addresses will need to be setup using the routers private IP address (192.168.1.254) as the default router/gateway and DNS server.
*** WARNING *** Servers or other devices assigned to one of the five static IP addresses are open from access to the Internet. Be sure you have adequate safeguards in place to prevent malicious or inappropriate access to these systems!
Submitted by James Newlin.
Special thanks to John Taylor and his 3Com 812 FAQ entry at »AT&T Midwest/Ameritech FAQ »Setting up 3Com Officeconnect Remote 812 Router with 5 Static IP package