how-to block ads
A. Following the following recommendations you can be reasonably sure that your wireless network will be safe and secure from "War Drivers" and casual hackers.
1. Change your SSID and your default password on your Access Point.
2. Setup MAC Filtering and ALLOW only the MAC addresses of devices on your network owned by you.
3. Shut off SSID Broadcasting so as to not advertise your wireless network's existence.
4. Use the highest level of WEP encryption you are allowed by your Access Point and client devices. Note that on Linksys AP's you can choose 256-bit WEP, however client products only support upto 128-bit.
5. Change your WEP keys often and do not use the passphrase generator, use any of the random number generators freely available on the web and convert the decimal number to hex.