DC++ is an free open-source, ad and spyware-free client, written in C++ for the Advanced Direct Connect protocol
. It also supports the depreciated original Direct Connect protocol (NMDC) which was originally developed by Jonathan Hess, the creator of the now extinct Neo-Modus client
. DC++ allows users to share files and chat over the Internet with other users. Over the years, a plethora of features and advances in technology have been added. Mr Hess has no influence over the current protocol or client at all. Primarily the author of DC++, Jacek Sieka, and other core developers determine the course DC++ takes. For more information and documentation visit the following websites:
•DC++ on Sourceforge (home page & downloads)
•DC++ on Launchpad (bug tracker & support)
•DC++ at Wikipedia
Historic & Geeky Information
DC++'s additional features over NMDC only clients (since the ADC protocol introduced):
•Support of a much more stable, secure and easily extensible ADC communication protocol.
•ADC provides the possibility of secure SSL encoded hub-client communication and file transfers.
•Users are identified by their client, not by their nick. It means that things like stolen nicks and multiply occupied slots by the same user from different hubs are over.
•Instead of fully downloading every time you are able to browse filelists. This can save a lot of time and bandwith.
•ADC provides limited capability of passive-passive downloads using NAT-Traversal
•You can create own / use an advanced default list of file extension groups to filter search results.
•ADC is fully unicode compatible so you can type any special letter to the hub mainchat or to the pm window, including cyrillic, kanji or any type of letters used in the world. They'll show correctly for every user of the hub.
Features - Configurable:
Log your downloads, uploads, system messages and various chat windows.
•Automatic Share Refreshing (0.172)
- Every hour DC++ refreshes your share content.
•Automatically search for alternate download locations (0.173)
- Allows DC++ to try to find other locations to download your files.
•URL handler (0.18)
URLS of the type dchub://, adc:// and adcs:// to open in DC++ from your browser. Links in main chat with www, http or ftp are automatically open in your default browser when double-clicked.
•Slot Closing (0.20)
- If a user leaves the hub DC++ will close his slots, if the user is back within 10 minutes DC++ will grant him a slot.
•SFV checking (0.22)
- Many downloads on DC contain an sfv file to check the integrity of a download. DC++ can on-the-fly calculate CRC-32 values for a file and compare it against the sfv file. If the check fails, the file is automatically downloaded once more from the same user and if that fails, the user is removed as a source.
•Custom Descriptions (0.24)
- Custom per-hub user description available for favorite hubs
•ADL Search (0.24)
- Tool for fast searching of directory listings downloaded from users
•Network Statistics (0.300)
- Go to the View menu -> Network statistics
•Selectable Hubs to Search (0.301)
- You can choose which hubs you want to search in.
•User Country (0.402)
- Show the users country abbreviation in a column besides the IP field
•UPnP Support (0.4033) -
Able to configure your router to open up ports when needed to work in active mode.
•Dupe file exclusion (0.40x)
- Files with same TTH are automatically excluded from your share.
•Shared files exclusion from downloads (0.666)
- Option not to download files already in share (by TTH).
•SSL encryption support (0.68)
- Option for secure file transfers and communication.
•Segmented downloads (0.700)
- Download files from several sources at the same time.
•Usage of Coral content distribution system for getting hublists (0.704)
- Faster hublist download as well as reduce strain of hublist servers.
•Built-in multilanguage support (0.705)
- GUI and help are translated to many languages using custom supplied and community editable gettext po language files.
•Settings stored in the Windows user profile (0.75)
- Makes DC++ comply with the recent Microsoft standard of placing application data and eliminates UAC warnings and other problems under Windows Vista & 7.
•Search results with same TTH are grouped (0.707)
- Makes search results easier to manage as well as it makes possible to add all available sources at once when you want to download a result.
•Bandwith limiter for file transfers (0.760)
- If uploads slow down your downloads A LOT you may try this option.
•Favorite hub groups (0.760)
- Hubs can be grouped and groups are manageable in several ways.
•Window manager (0.760)
- Opened windows are kept across sessions as well as there's a history list available of recently opened windows.
•Customizable search type extensions (0.770)
- User configurable groups of file extensions usable to filter search results by file types.
•Automatic connectivity setup (0.780)
- Scuccessful automatic connectivity settings setup in most cases.
•User matching (0.790)
- Appearance and other settings by matching user properties such as nick.
- Configurable plugin interface.
Features - Non-configurable:
•Passive user detection (0.154)
- Those that are behind a set of bricks are passive.
•Banning Prevention (0.23)
- If DC++ receives "banned" during the login phase, it'll stop automatically reconnecting
- When downloading, it creates a file of the expected target size with unspecified content.
•Tab Nick Completion (0.300)
- Automatically completes the nickname you are typing by hitting TAB once the name is partially typed.
•Command History Scrolling (0.302)
- Use ctrl-up/down/home/end to view previous things typed.
•File Hashing (0.307) -
Merkle trees and tiger hashing are used for file hashing.
•Unicode support for queue and file list (0.4033)
- The queue and file list can contain any special character encountered in file names, nicks, etc...
•Browse file lists (0.670)
- Instead of downloading whole file lists you can browse them and doing so only the required parts are downloaded.
•CID for user identification (0.68)
- More strict user identification to distinguish same users in different hubs and different users with same nicks.
•Mandatory TTH based integrity check (0.696)
- Provides 100% safe file identification and transfers, altough breaks compatibility with non-TTH based DC clients/versions.
•Advanced TTH-leaf based resume & integrity check (0.700)
- When downloading/resuming a file to ensure it contains no errors. If there is an error DC++ rolls back the segment.
•Auto match search results (0.708)
- Search results are matched to the download queue items and newly found sources are automatically added.
•Possibility to recheck unfinished downloads (0.75)
- Makes possible to regain the good parts of a corrupted partially downloaded file or salvage large files when the download queue is lost so you don't need to redownload large files from scratch.
•NAT traversal to allow passive-passive connections (0.770)
- Greatly improves connectivity by giving a chance of not properly configured clients to connect to each other.
- Uploading filelists and files <16 kB to other DC++ users WITHOUT requiring a slot
- A hub bandwidth easing feature for the hubs that support it.
- Sending files using dynamic compression
- Server side IP detection (automatically used if the IP field in settings is blank)
- A hub bandwidth easing feature for the hubs that support it.
- Sending file lists compressed
•ADC Protocol (0.402)
- A text protocol for a DC style network. Click the link for complete documentation and features.
Second sentence: "depreciated" --> "deprecated"
2012-12-25 01:10:08 (NotTheMama )
by USR56K edited by eMTee
last modified: 2012-11-05 12:01:40