how-to block ads
1. Using Windows Explorer, locate the first file you want to zip.
2. Right click on the file and select Send To and Compressed (zipped) Folder. This will create a new compressed folder with the same name as the file, except with the extension .zip.
3. Right click any other file you want to compress and select Copy.
4. Right click on the compressed folder you created in step 2 and select Paste. The copied file was pasted into the compressed folder. Repeat this until your compressed folder contains all the files you want.
5. Right click on the compressed folder and select Explore.
6. In File, select Add a Password. Enter the password and confirm the password.
B. If you have an earlier version of Windows:
1. Download a zip utility. WinZip is very popular, and an evaluation version is available free.
(Other zip utilities are here: »www.freedownloadscenter.com/Util···ilities/)
2. Using Windows Explorer, locate the first file you want to zip.
3. Right click on the file and select WinZip and Add to Zip File.
4. In Add to Archive, enter the path and name you want your zip file to have.
5. Click Password and enter the password you want the zip file to have.
6. Click Add.
7. On the WinZip window that appears, click Add and select any other files you would like to add to your zip file.
8. When you are done, select File and Close Archive.
If you are creating a password protected zip file for the purpose of sending a virus to an anti-virus company, use the password infected and state the password is infected in the email the zip file is being attached to. In this special case, the password protection is simply to prevent the virus from tripping alarms and being disinfected before it reaches the anti-virus company.
Some tools for making "password protected zip files" (compressed folders) may use the term "encryption" or "encryption key." Encryption key is technically the more accurate description. They are talking about the same thing, though.
(Don't worry if an unencrypted copy of the zip file is created in your TEMP directory when you enter the password. The work-file will be deleted by the zip utility when it terminates. If your zip utility fails to do that, contact the zip utility vendor. - Keith2468 2008-07-21)
Feedback received on this FAQ entry: