how-to block ads
11 *Nix on Mac
1. Insert the YDL CD and boot from it, when you are at the black screen that says "YABOOT" at the top and gives you the "boot:" prompt, type install-safe.
2. After you reach the installer program, press Option-F2. If you have a laptop, Option-Fn-F2. You should see something like -bin/sh-2.05b#.
3. If YDL is on the first IDE drive, type "pdisk /dev/hda". If it's on the second IDE drive, "pdisk /dev/hdb". Then just type a "p". Look for the partitions that have the type of "Apple_UNIX_SVR2". One will say "swap" and the other should say "untitled". Remember these partition numbers, mine are 11 and 12, respectively.
4. type the following, insert your swap and untitled partition numbers: "d
5. Look at the columns "Length" and "base" for the new Apple_Free partition, now type while filling in your info: "C
6. type "p" to confirm your changes. The Apple_Free partition should now have a type of "Apple_HFS" and have whatever name you gave it. If everything looks good, type "w" to write the data. then "q" to exit.
7. Now type "hformat /dev/
8. Start up in OS X by force-restarting. If the drive doesn't show up on the desk top, open Disk Utility and it should be listed there.
IBM has posted one:
Find it here.
Sure. The mini is an attractive option for a Debian platform. Here's a guide on how to install it.
There's also a guide to installing Yellow Dog Linux on IBM's site.